Forums

Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Postby Anotrin » October 21st, 2015, 1:56 pm

I got myself a hilux Revo sold by M rampersad-not toyota's model. Van is sweet and has bunch of cool features etc etc.
Van however does not smoke as my other van (L200). Supposedly it has a DPF filter and I have read that I will need to use a specific type of engine oil as to not clog the filter prematurely.
I have come across "euro car oil" by amsoil however it is rated for diesel and gasoline is this okay to use on my diesel engine? I will also be needing to use a fuel treatment since our local diesel is too high in sulphur ( or something like that-better safe than sorry).

What can you tuners recommended-engine oil and fuel treatment?

Any info much appreciated. If only i knew of this before!
Thanks

10-01
punchin NOS

Re: Engine oil for Hilux Revo?

Postby 10-01 » October 21st, 2015, 2:13 pm

why not jus ask M Rampersad they service & repair dem

what oil they recommend ?

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » October 21st, 2015, 2:25 pm

10-01 wrote:why not jus ask M Rampersad they service & repair dem

I did, they have no clue unfortunately. Their service dept is using normal oil. Not DPF safe at all. Not sure if they realize their vehicles are not the same as the vigo . :(

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 21st, 2015, 2:30 pm

er....that fat book in the glove box?
yeah it has these numbers and words n stuff.....take a peek

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » October 21st, 2015, 2:42 pm

Anotrin wrote:
10-01 wrote:why not jus ask M Rampersad they service & repair dem

I did, they have no clue unfortunately. Their service dept is using normal oil. Not DPF safe at all. Not sure if they realize their vehicles are not the same as the vigo . :(

3664192 prackash hes a toyota technician kool guy give him a call he may be able to help ... or jus check d manual in the glove box ... like wat MG said

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » October 21st, 2015, 3:02 pm

MG Man wrote:er....that fat book in the glove box?
yeah it has these numbers and words n stuff.....take a peek

Wish i could read thai!!! I have to go back and get one in english-hopefully they have. Could not find one online for download as yet either.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 21st, 2015, 3:07 pm

even if it is in japanese or mandarin, the oil specs are usually in english numerals, so you can figure it out...I've helped ppl with singapore manuals and it's always a matter lf flipping through until you see familiar numbers
Any good synthetic diesel oil should be safe for a DPF, btw...if you not sure, check out the offerings available locally, search their rfespective websites, and look at the product information sheets

for example, this is available locally:
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/premiu ... xtreme.pdf

Product Information
A PRODUCT OF VALVOLINE, A DIVISION OF ASHLAND INC.
Valvoline’s Premium Blue® Extreme Engine Oil
Hi-Performance Synthetic Engine Oil
Valvoline Premium Blue® Extreme continues the tradition of providing a superior full synthetic oil that is field proven and
delivers exceptional TBN retention, extended drain approved*, enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional oils,
advanced soot control, outstanding viscosity retention and excellent all weather performance. The hi-performance synthetic
technology meets the stringent demands of modern diesel engines; including EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and DPF
(Diesel Particulate Filter) control systems
, operating under standard and extended service interval*, running both ultra-low
sulfur diesel fuel and low sulfur diesel fuel.
Premium Blue Extreme provides fuel economy benefits for on-highway Class-8 trucks. Statistically significant test results
find up to 3% maximum improvement in fuel economy using SAE J1321/TMC RMP 1103, Type II techniques. Testing was
conducted by a leading independent laboratory.
The Premium Blue® Extreme Advantage
· Hi-Performance Synthetic Technology meets the most demanding requirements of modern EGR engines operating at
elevated temperatures, higher soot and higher acid levels in the engine oil.
· Cummins approved for 5,000-mile oil drain extension, under normal duty, for 2007 engines.
· Superior synthetic basestocks provide faster, safe starts during freezing weather and enhanced thermal properties for
hot weather operations.
· Unique formulation has enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional oils.
· Reduced high temperature carbon buildup - both single and two-piece pistons - and ring/liner wear protection leads to
improved oil consumption control.
· Unique dispersive polymer technology (DPT) provides advanced soot control and outstanding engine cleanliness.
· Provides fuel economy benefits for on-highway Class-8 trucks.
Valvoline’s Premium Blue Extreme Engine Oil is endorsed by Cummins Engine Company and is approved against the CES
20081 specification. The product meets, and is approved against, Mack EO-O Premium Plus, Volvo VDS-4, Detroit Diesel
93K218, and MB-approval 228.31. In addition, the product meets API CJ-4/SM and older category, Caterpillar ECF-3/2/1a,
Renault RLD-3, ACEA E9-08/E7-08 and Perkins/Wilson engine requirements. It also meets the engine test performance
requirements of MTU Type I/II, MAN 3275, JASO DH-2, and Global DHD-1 specifications. Premium Blue Extreme provides
excellent performance in “mixed fleet” gasoline engines, pickup and delivery, city fleet, long haul over-the-road, and offhighway
applications.
Typical Properties SAE 5W-40
Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt 88.6
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt 14.5
Viscosity Index 170
CCS Viscosity @ -30 C, cP 6,300
Borderline Pumping Viscosity @ -35 C, cP 40,000
High Temp. High Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, cP 3.8
Pour Point, deg. C -39
Sulfated Ash, % <1.0
Total Base Number (D-2896) 10
Foam / Aeration Tests Pass
Part Numbers
Bulk VV705160
55 Gallon Drum VV70516
1 Gallon Jug 774038
* Approval is for Cummin ISX and ISM engines On-Highway. To determine your optimum maintenance interval, consult
your owner’s manual or call Valvoline at 1-800-ALL-FLEET. Results may vary based on environment, operating, and
maintenance procedures.
Refer to Valvoline’s Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information.
This information only applies to products manufactured in the following location(s): USA, Canada.
Effective Date: Expiration Date: Replaces: Author's Initials: Pages Code
1/6/12 NA 3/31/10 JRT 1 PBX 1201

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » October 21st, 2015, 3:37 pm

yuh wud swear we in the 80s and the internet don't exist eh...

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » October 21st, 2015, 3:44 pm

inter net? Do tell...

allyuh fellas rough in here bai :lol:

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » October 21st, 2015, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the points MGman .Will compare the specs.

Aaron 2NR wrote:yuh wud swear we in the 80s and the internet don't exist eh...

Still looking for a boyfriend i see.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » October 21st, 2015, 4:15 pm

I've been using amsoil diesel concentrate in the l200 sice it came out the firm, 2oz each full up and have had no smoking from the van.
Im not familiar with the DPF systems but I'll still recommend the amsoil to you.

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » October 21st, 2015, 4:24 pm

Anotrin wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » October 21st, 2015, 5:52 pm

DVSTT wrote:I've been using amsoil diesel concentrate in the l200 sice it came out the firm, 2oz each full up and have had no smoking from the van.
Im not familiar with the DPF systems but I'll still recommend the amsoil to you.

Bro... You realise you basically said I nuh sure if this goh wuk but it bess so try it right?

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » October 21st, 2015, 6:17 pm

DVSTT wrote:I've been using amsoil diesel concentrate in the l200 sice it came out the firm, 2oz each full up and have had no smoking from the van.

I was under the impression amsoil concentrate is for ultra low sulphur diesel. Thought ours was high sulphur.? :?:

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » October 21st, 2015, 9:49 pm

10-01 wrote:
Anotrin wrote:

Rofl...On point.

What L200 you had that smokes? I have two home and they don't smoke at all. And they only see treatments when I remember, usually every few months.

INHUMAN
Riding on 18's

Postby INHUMAN » October 21st, 2015, 11:24 pm

Inb4 valvoline ad...oh wait...that guy quick on the draw

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 22nd, 2015, 7:40 am

lol I doh work with them eh...jussayin

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » October 22nd, 2015, 10:04 am

Do the volkswagen and audi diesel engines use the same DPF system? Have you considered using the same oil as these manufacturers recommend? Liquimoly perhaps?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 22nd, 2015, 10:23 am

dunno why he beatin up...pretty much any synthetic diesel on the market will cater for ERG and DPF....the greater concern imo is the TBN....all the fancy synthetics are built for ULSD, not our crappy fuel....so the critical thing to me is more frequent oil changes

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 22nd, 2015, 11:25 am

kurpal_v2 wrote:

Bro... You realise you basically said I nuh sure if this goh wuk but it bess so try it right?

How dear you talk sense in a trinituner tread

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » October 22nd, 2015, 12:21 pm

Anotrin wrote:Thanks for the points MGman .Will compare the specs.

:lol: :lol: *dedz*

KENDALLTT
Ricer

Postby KENDALLTT » October 22nd, 2015, 1:45 pm

Hey,

Your question raises several issues to be solved:

1. DPF Filter – Diesel Particulate Filters in modern diesel exhaust systems allows for significant soot removal, as high as 85% to 100% more soot removal, and up to one micron and larger particulate . This soot trapped in the filter.

2. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR Engines) – Most modern engines are equipped EGR engines – including the Hilux Revo. This takes some of the exhaust and puts it right back into the engine. This is a measure engine builders have had to comply with to deal with high emission controls. This soot ends up in the engine oil! Therefore engines equipped with EGR systems need an engine oil which is specially formulated to deal with excess soot (otherwise known as ‘soot induced oil thickening’). This excess soot can break down the oil faster if the engine oil is not formulated to deal with this excess soot.

The combination of the DPF filter and the EGR system can result up to 25% loss in fuel efficiency!

3. High Sulphur Diesel in Trinidad – The sulfur content in the diesel fuel in Trinidad is EXTREMELY HIGH compared with USA, Canada and Europe. The sulfur in the Trinidad fuel is over 1000 parts per million, whereas in USA it is 5 parts per million! That’s right, the local diesel contains more than 200 times sulfur! This makes the diesel extremely dirty and acidic when compared to other countries, and less efficient to operate in the engine. In this market, the high sulfur in the fuel is the biggest factor in the decision of what type of engine oil to use. The right choice would be an engine oil formulated at the correct international standard to work best with high sulfur. This would be API CI 4 (Plus). This oil has a high TBN (Total Base Number) additive which will fight the high sulfur and prevent the oil from breaking down when exposed to high contaminants, acids and soot. The higher the TBN would be better. It is advised to try a TBN oil around 12. Unfortunately this is NOT the latest API rating. The latest would be API CJ4, and this comes mainly in synthetic and synthetic blend oils. Most people who buy a luxury diesel vehicle tend to think that they need to buy a synthetic engine oil with is the latest API CJ4 rating to protect their engine. But in Trinidad, that is not be the best oil to use for diesel applications.

After all of this explanation, my advice would be to ask your oil supplier for a Diesel Engine Oil with an API CI4 (Plus). Look at the donut at the back of your oil gallon bottle to verify. A mineral oil is also much cheaper than a syhthetic, so this is a case where the more expensive oil is not necessarily the better oil. Try Kendall diesel engine oil – Super D3 15w 40. This is a fantastic oil with long life, high TBN (12.2), API –CI4 (Plus), and an advanced additive package to deal with high soot, wear, detergency etc. I recommend highly. If you need more information, you can contact the Kendall Store at 222-7920, or available at all leading retailers.

Fuel treatments are also a good idea to use because of the quality of the fuel we get (described above). Unfortunately I do not think too highly of the fuel treatments that you buy in the gas stations and parts shops. I would prefer to recommend a fuel additive concentrate which is powerful, saves on fuel consumption, clean injectors, increases power, lubricants the injector system and most important REMOVES ANY TRACE OF WATER. I have tried several fuel additives, and the one that works best would be the Fuel Optimizer brand, and the product is called Maximum Diesel Power.

This is no gimmick – it really works, and its not expensive. This product is also available at the Kendall Store – 222-7920.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » October 22nd, 2015, 1:59 pm

:popcorn: :lol: :lol:

moses_boss12
Trinituner Peong
Location: The Beautiful Hills of.................... Hellshire!!

Postby moses_boss12 » October 22nd, 2015, 2:21 pm

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 22nd, 2015, 2:38 pm

KENDALLTT wrote:. Try Kendall diesel engine oil – Super D3 15w 40. This is a fantastic oil with long life, high TBN (12.2), API –CI4 (Plus), and an advanced additive package to deal with high soot, wear, detergency etc.

a couple things...a fisherman never says his own fish rotten
Secondly, why would you recommend a 15W40? There's nothing new on the light diesel engine market that uses a 15W diesel multigrade....I wouldn't be surprised if that van requires a 5W30.....I'd place my bets on it being that or a 5W40 synthetic, but MOS DEF NOT a 15W40
You sure you qualified to speak on behalf of your employer's brand?

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » October 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm

MG Man wrote:
KENDALLTT wrote:. Try Kendall diesel engine oil – Super D3 15w 40. This is a fantastic oil with long life, high TBN (12.2), API –CI4 (Plus), and an advanced additive package to deal with high soot, wear, detergency etc.

Secondly, why would you recommend a 15W40? There's nothing new on the light diesel engine market that uses a 15W diesel multigrade....I wouldn't be surprised if that van requires a 5W30.....I'd place my bets on it being that or a 5W40 synthetic, but MOS DEF NOT a 15W40

What's wrong with a 15W40 in our climate? Our ambient temperature doesn't change much and it is usually on the higher end of the temperature band anyway. The important thing is to follow your manufacturer's recommendation for your temperature band unless you really understand how oil viscosity changes and compares with straight viscosity oils at different operating temperatures. If I remember correctly, a 15W-40 acts like a straight 15 oil when cold, and a straight 40 oil at 100 Celsius. It doesn't mean that the absolute viscosity increases with temperature, it simply means that the oil behaves like it is a more viscous oil at higher temperatures, BUT, the viscosity still degrades. Basically a straight 15 oil at 100 Celsius will have a much lower viscosity than that of a 15W40, but it doesn't mean that the low temp viscosity isn't higher than the high temp viscosity. I don't remember it too well, but there are comparison graphs that give you the kinematic viscosity over temperature. I think also, the W doesn't mean Weight, it means Winter. So that is the viscosity the oil behaves like when it's a very cold temperature like in winter.

Some tribologist can correct me where I make errors up there.

Some of what he says is not 100% accurate I agree, but yes a higher TBN does positively impact on the oil's ability to handle acidic contaminants such as sulphurous acids. ULSD is actually 15ppm, and if you look at a Chevron guideline on setting TBN:

"Engine oil formulators have always matched the amount of TBN to the amount of sulfur in the fuel. Today Chevron manufactures engine oils with 70 TBN which are used in marine engines operating on 5% sulfur fuel. This is very high sulfur content, 50,000 parts per million. Diesel fuel in the US was approximately 2,500 to 3,000 ppm sulfur (the legal maximum for ASTM 2D fuel was 5000 ppm) until 1993, when EPA regulations required a reduction to a maximum limit of 500 ppm for on road use. Today all diesel fuel is limited to 15 ppm sulfur maximum (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, or ULSD)."

This obviously refers to the US and not here.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » October 28th, 2015, 2:04 pm

sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 28th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Val wrote:
MG Man wrote:

What's wrong with a 15W40 in our climate? Our ambient temperature doesn't change much and it is usually on the higher end of the temperature band anyway. The important thing is to follow your manufacturer's recommendation for your temperature band unless you really understand how oil viscosity changes and compares with straight viscosity oils at different operating temperatures. If I remember correctly, a 15W-40 acts like a straight 15 oil when cold, and a straight 40 oil at 100 Celsius. It doesn't mean that the absolute viscosity increases with temperature, it simply means that the oil behaves like it is a more viscous oil at higher temperatures, BUT, the viscosity still degrades. Basically a straight 15 oil at 100 Celsius will have a much lower viscosity than that of a 15W40, but it doesn't mean that the low temp viscosity isn't higher than the high temp viscosity. I don't remember it too well, but there are comparison graphs that give you the kinematic viscosity over temperature. I think also, the W doesn't mean Weight, it means Winter. So that is the viscosity the oil behaves like when it's a very cold temperature like in winter.

Some tribologist can correct me where I make errors up there.

Some of what he says is not 100% accurate I agree, but yes a higher TBN does positively impact on the oil's ability to handle acidic contaminants such as sulphurous acids. ULSD is actually 15ppm, and if you look at a Chevron guideline on setting TBN:

"Engine oil formulators have always matched the amount of TBN to the amount of sulfur in the fuel. Today Chevron manufactures engine oils with 70 TBN which are used in marine engines operating on 5% sulfur fuel. This is very high sulfur content, 50,000 parts per million. Diesel fuel in the US was approximately 2,500 to 3,000 ppm sulfur (the legal maximum for ASTM 2D fuel was 5000 ppm) until 1993, when EPA regulations required a reduction to a maximum limit of 500 ppm for on road use. Today all diesel fuel is limited to 15 ppm sulfur maximum (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, or ULSD)."

This obviously refers to the US and not here.

why would you want an oil that behaves like a 15W at cold start, in an engine designed for a 5W at cold start?
We are def not at the higher end...most mornings, our ambient air temp is below 28 deg celcius, so the 'hot climate' argument is moot

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 28th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Team Loco wrote:sorry dude but you should have stuck with the TTTL supplied vehicle. there is a reason they sell the new hilux with the older 1KD engine and not the 1GD. but i see you realise the issue with the 2.8 needing a less sulphur fuel. The dpf filter is pretty good in theory but with our fuel you gotta make sure that system remains unclogged. even with the 1kd without a dpf system, the turbo charger suffers from particulate buildup. i repair a 1kd charger almost every week. they all suffer the same issue. the vnt gets clogged with particulates, causes it to seize, the this puts a strain on the electronic actuator and eventually the entire turbo goes bad. i dont know much about the 1gd and if it has a vnt turbo but i wish you luck. the dpf is fairly new to trinidad. i understand liqui moly sells a dpf cleaner. i know of one person who swears by it but he has to import it himself

doesn't the engine 'burn' the stuff in the DPF when you doing highway runs?
Even if we had ULSD at our pumps, many vehicles, esp euro-speced engines still have issues from carbon buildup in oilways and turbo oil lines....even in europe, the carbon gunk kills the turbo, and clogs oilways.....only real defence is regular oil changes

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 28th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Don't concern yourself too much with oil, you just become paranoid after time. By the time the engine degrades from regular oil that everyone else using that Hilux would have 5 owners and be long gone you may not even be alive.

I had an EG8 Civic and I used recycled oil in it, never changed oil filters since it had an oil leak never even changed oil. And that car run for donkey years, the money I saved by buying recycled oil, taking discarded oil from gas stations etc in the long run I saved the price of 2 Engines and still the Engine was fine.

Except the car didn't start in the sun but that was not because of oil.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”