Forums

Honda City CNG vs Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Mezeker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Mezeker » March 8th, 2017, 1:43 pm

I'm now seeing the Ioniq being promoted.
City is 160k
Ioniq is 170k

Any thoughts on the comparison of the vehicles?

They saying 800km for the City with Duel Fuel
but my calcs are 980 for the Ioniq

Anyone have other specs to share?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Honda City CNG vs Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

Postby ADONI » March 9th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Test drive of the Hyundai this Saturday.
Attachments
Hyundai Test drive.jpg

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » March 29th, 2017, 12:02 pm

interested

how was the test drive?

I was investigating CNG options, but the research so far results in the cheap fuel as the only pro, there are more cons for me that changed my mind on this option, such as CNG stations not widely available, low driving range on the CNG tank (~200km), CNG stations frequently broken down, dealership maintenance cost on the CITY is high, no self service at the CNG stations, loss of space with CNG tank, dealership price on new CNG vehicle is high when these vehicles should be cheaper

still cheaper imho to do a cng retrofit in your existing gas vehicle

considering hybrid now

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 30th, 2017, 9:30 am

venum wrote:interested

how was the test drive?

I was investigating CNG options, but the research so far results in the cheap fuel as the only pro, there are more cons for me that changed my mind on this option, such as CNG stations not widely available, low driving range on the CNG tank (~200km), CNG stations frequently broken down, dealership maintenance cost on the CITY is high, no self service at the CNG stations, loss of space with CNG tank, dealership price on new CNG vehicle is high when these vehicles should be cheaper

still cheaper imho to do a cng retrofit in your existing gas vehicle

considering hybrid now

Mezeker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Mezeker » April 4th, 2017, 12:15 am

venum wrote:interested

how was the test drive?

Having tested both, at only 10k More the Hyundai comes with a bousand more bells and whistles.

My concerns with CNG are the same as yours. According to my math
CNG + Fuel can get u about 700km
Hybrid getting u 900+ on one tank.

IF you ONLY used CNG, you'd get a huge savings on fuel, but you'd have to fill up often.

I prefer save time and just go Hybrid. Especially since I basically drive 15 mins to work and back in stop/go traffic so I'll be on electric 9/10 times

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 6th, 2017, 11:40 am

Mezeker wrote:I prefer save time and just go Hybrid. Especially since I basically drive 15 mins to work and back in stop/go traffic so I'll be on electric 9/10 times

correct me if I am wrong, but would that short drive give you sufficient charge on the batteries?

speaking to one driver of a hybrid vehicle, he was telling me that the distance he drove was not sufficient to charge the batteries

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » April 11th, 2017, 7:48 am

I visited both showrooms yesterday. The service at Ansa chaguanas is appalling. Regardless, the city is in its most basic form here locally. Pros-its a honda, cons, only cream interior available, cheap plastics all over the interior, including the shift knob...No trunk space.

The ioniq is better looking, has trunk space and better mileage, considering the service on the sales floor at ansa, I can only imagine that after sales service is going to be a nightmare. I'm a fan of the ioniq.

frazzyboy
Ricer

Postby frazzyboy » May 30th, 2017, 9:47 pm

So I am a owner of a city cng. I live south work Barataria so I full every day.. And my reasons for buying is pretty simple:

1. The ioniq can only travel at 50km/hr with batrery...well so the salesman said...over 50km gas kick in.. I run 160km/hr with cng no issues. Yes the car stays on the the road too.

2. With cng being on the market many years now I'm pretty sure there are many technican available for repairs even if the warranty period is over. Can't say much about the hybrid. Anyone?

3. My other half works for a insurance company if you lose a nose cut in an accident with a hybrid automatic write off due to the cost to repair the damages being too much. The company write of two already

4. Resale value.....is Honda. Then there is Carmax to trade as well.

5. Based on my distance traveling I would usually save $1300 - $1400.00 a month...vs my previous car 1.5 toyota axio with eco mode. Putting it another way from $50.00 super a day to $7.00 & $8.00 cng per day..... A full tank of petrol will stay the entire month or more unless you deside to use it and trust me a full tank could rally you a week of North south driving.

No regrets here.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » May 30th, 2017, 9:55 pm

frazzyboy wrote:So I am a owner of a city cng. I live south work Barataria so I full every day.. And my reasons for buying is pretty simple:

1. The ioniq can only travel at 50km/hr with batrery...well so the salesman said...over 50km gas kick in.. I run 160km/hr with cng no issues. Yes the car stays on the the road too.

2. With cng being on the market many years now I'm pretty sure there are many technican available for repairs even if the warranty period is over. Can't say much about the hybrid. Anyone?

3. My other half works for a insurance company if you lose a nose cut in an accident with a hybrid automatic write off due to the cost to repair the damages being too much. The company write of two already

5. Based on my distance traveling I would usually save $1300 - $1400.00 a month...vs my previous car 1.5 toyota axio with eco mode. Putting it another way from $50.00 super a day to $7.00 & $8.00 cng per day..... A full tank of petrol will stay the entire month or more unless you deside to use it and trust me a full tank could rally you a week of North south driving.

No regrets here.

So third party on a hybrid is a bad idea.

frazzyboy
Ricer

Postby frazzyboy » May 30th, 2017, 9:59 pm

car wrote:
frazzyboy wrote:So I am a owner of a city cng. I live south work Barataria so I full every day.. And my reasons for buying is pretty simple:

No regrets here.

So third party on a hybrid is a bad idea.

I won't say it's a bad idea but it's worth considering....even on the RORO. The cost to repair in the long run vs cng will be significant......a retro fit cng cost 10k to 11k new. So parts should be that bad.

frazzyboy
Ricer

Postby frazzyboy » May 30th, 2017, 10:28 pm

For those who think the tanks are not safe

Cng tanks are designed to hold up to 125% of their operating pressure. Therefore the city tank can take up to 3750psi. ANSA rated the tank to take 14 dollars to full up. Now that's on fulling to 3000psi. Filling up from empty I pay only 12 dollars. Therefore the pumps only pushing about 2700psi to 2800psi making it more safe and 200-300psi below the operating capacity.
Last edited by frazzyboy on May 30th, 2017, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broarbunc
Riding on 13's

Postby broarbunc » August 22nd, 2017, 11:56 am

hey guys, any thoughts on these cars - honda city and the chevrolet cruze?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”