Radiator loosing coolant

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Michelle50
Ricer

Radiator loosing coolant

Postby Michelle50 » October 21st, 2018, 5:43 pm

Hi Folks,

First all, I want to say thanks for all the assistance I have gotten over the years. I am not mechanically inclined, so I can't help anyone.

My latest problem is my radiator needs to be refilled almost on a daily basis ( as long as I drive my vehicle). This started happening when I changed the Head and Block in August of this year. It turns out the Head and Block was leaking and burning the oil. I changed the Head and Block again early this month (October) and I am having the same problem.

Not so sure about the mechanic right now ( he sourced the two head and blocks and has been telling me some gibberish since I quarrelled with him for giving me a lot of run around ). Someone else checked the vehicle for me and found a leak at the point where the hose from the radiator connects to the engine. This was fixed by changing the silver clips at the top and the bottom. However the coolant in now leaking really bad from the top of the radiator bottle ( seems to (? plastic bottle that holds excess fluid). What is funny is that while the radiator is seems to be loosing coolant ( no leak in radiator itself), this bottle is always full. Also, the liquid in the bottle is not green, it does not look like coolant.

When I top up, I have been topping up directly to the radiator because the bottle is always full. Also, it does not appear that any of the liquid in the bottle is going back to the radiator. I have a video that shows what I am talking about but I don't know how to attache it to this post.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Attachments
Leaked coolant.jpg
This is the coolant that leaked from the bottle ( within 15 minutes of starting the car, not driving)

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Re: Radiator loosing coolant

Postby wagonrunner » October 23rd, 2018, 12:04 am

go by a radiator shop nah.
let them pressure test the system nah.
but if it bubbles out the overflow, and not the original green. chances are you've overheated and blown the head gasket.
what does under the oil cap look like?
if you open your radiator and start, what do you see happening there?

greenlantern12
3NE 2NR for life

Postby greenlantern12 » October 23rd, 2018, 2:17 am

I have this same issue, there are no bubbles in the radiator the cap is clean no water in the oil did a pressure test in St James the guy said he didn't see a fault but everyday I have to refill the radiator

Jade_Inc.
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jade_Inc. » October 23rd, 2018, 7:00 am

If a jacket on your water pump is bad, you can lose fluid that way.. Meaning it would leak slowly where your water pump is

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 30th, 2018, 7:44 am

greenlantern12 wrote:I have this same issue, there are no bubbles in the radiator the cap is clean no water in the oil did a pressure test in St James the guy said he didn't see a fault but everyday I have to refill the radiator
U know what does be a problem sometimes ..if d radiator cork is not the correct psi or it not covering properly. N cause air leak .. .. go by radiator person n get it checked n cleaned n new cork

greenlantern12
3NE 2NR for life

Postby greenlantern12 » October 30th, 2018, 8:39 am

supernedd wrote:
greenlantern12 wrote:I have this same issue, there are no bubbles in the radiator the cap is clean no water in the oil did a pressure test in St James the guy said he didn't see a fault but everyday I have to refill the radiator
U know what does be a problem sometimes ..if d radiator cork is not the correct psi or it not covering properly. N cause air leak .. .. go by radiator person n get it checked n cleaned n new cork
Did that also changed the cork but I will have to check the water pump as recommend by the post before

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 30th, 2018, 9:16 am

Cool n check the thermostat also ..

Michelle50
Ricer

Postby Michelle50 » October 31st, 2018, 10:39 pm

Hi Folks,

Just to let you all know, the problem seems to have been solved. I was advised to change the overflow bottle. The cover on this bottle was loose (has been like that for years) and this is where (for some strange reason) the coolant recently started leaking out. So, I got a new overflow bottle, with a secure cap and it seems to be working. I have not topped up the radiator since I changed the bottle two days ago. Thanks again for all the advice.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 31st, 2018, 11:51 pm

Michelle50 wrote:Hi Folks,

Just to let you all know, the problem seems to have been solved. I was advised to change the overflow bottle. The cover on this bottle was loose (has been like that for years) and this is where (for some strange reason) the coolant recently started leaking out. So, I got a new overflow bottle, with a secure cap and it seems to be working. I have not topped up the radiator since I changed the bottle two days ago. Thanks again for all the advice.
The radiator overflow bottle does not have to be filled to the neck. There are usually two lines.... The max Height it reaches and a low level. This bottle is to cater for expansion of the fluid as pressure increases due to Heat. After warming up ur engine. (ensure operating temp on dash so thermostat if fitted is fully open) before it gets too hot check ur radiator level. Make sure it is filled. At the same time make sure the overflow bottle is at the correct level. Monitor from there. If your over flow bottle still fills Up to the neck you still have a problem.

It could have simply been your rad needed purging.

Research the rad cap rating and ensure u have the correct one.

Ensure u have the proper coolant and check for leaks at the hoses, seams of rad, water pump and around the engine block.

Check for bubbles in the radiator as the engine is running. U will see some turbulence but if a steady stream of big or fine bubbles are coming up cud very well. Be head gasket.

A good rad shop cud assist in this.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 31st, 2018, 11:52 pm

A slack over flow bottle cover is not an issue. That is not designed to seal as there is a vent to atmosphere hose on the bottle/cap

Michelle50
Ricer

Postby Michelle50 » November 5th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Ok. I will check this. Thank you.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » November 10th, 2018, 5:13 am

This sounds like a defective radiator cap. The cap is allowing the water to leave and not holding the vacuum to suck the water back in when the water cools.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”