Forums

B15 horn switch

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

eitech
30 pounds of Boost

B15 horn switch

Postby eitech » May 16th, 2019, 6:34 am

Anyone with repair/replace experience? Currently it is stuck ON. If i push the switch a certain way it stops temporarily so I pulled the relay.

Advertisement
rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: B15 horn switch

Postby rspann » May 16th, 2019, 7:49 pm

eitech wrote:Anyone with repair/replace experience? Currently it is stuck ON. If i push the switch a certain way it stops temporarily so I pulled the relay.

B15 doesn't have a horn switch. The airbag module has a metal frame at the back plugged into the horn wire. When you press it grounds to the steering column and the horn blows. There are some springs that keep the airbag suspended away from grounding off. If any of them is missing or the frame is misaligned due to the brackets on the side that has the retaining torx screws, it will ground, causing the horn to blow. To correct it, remove the two covers on the side of the steering cowl, remove the two torx screws, take out the airbag module, check to see if the two brackets the screws pass through are bent. If someone overtightened them this can happen. Check the springs, make sure the grounding plate has good space between it and the column. You should be good to go.

Rattimus
Riding on 13's

Postby Rattimus » May 18th, 2019, 8:53 am

Thought was a thread bout turning away from Horning or turning to..

eitech
30 pounds of Boost

Postby eitech » May 25th, 2019, 12:54 pm

rspann wrote:
eitech wrote:Anyone with repair/replace experience? Currently it is stuck ON. If i push the switch a certain way it stops temporarily so I pulled the relay.

B15 doesn't have a horn switch. The airbag module has a metal frame at the back plugged into the horn wire. When you press it grounds to the steering column and the horn blows. There are some springs that keep the airbag suspended away from grounding off. If any of them is missing or the frame is misaligned due to the brackets on the side that has the retaining torx screws, it will ground, causing the horn to blow. To correct it, remove the two covers on the side of the steering cowl, remove the two torx screws, take out the airbag module, check to see if the two brackets the screws pass through are bent. If someone overtightened them this can happen. Check the springs, make sure the grounding plate has good space between it and the column. You should be good to go.

Torx with centre pin. Not finding that tool anywhere. Tried various spanner and socket sizes as the screw head outer surface is flat. . Cud probably stick a flathead there and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » May 28th, 2019, 1:47 pm

eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:

Torx with centre pin. Not finding that tool anywhere. Tried various spanner and socket sizes as the screw head outer surface is flat. . Cud probably stick a flathead there and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Please disconnect the airbag connector before you start. orange/yellow connector.

eitech
30 pounds of Boost

Postby eitech » May 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Sundar wrote:
eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:

Please disconnect the airbag connector before you start. orange/yellow connector.

At the what stage exactly?

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » May 29th, 2019, 3:42 pm

eitech wrote:
Sundar wrote:
eitech wrote:
rspann wrote:

At the what stage exactly?
Start with the battery...

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”