TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Is it legal to modify your vehicle or not?

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Is it legal to modify your vehicle or not?

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » June 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm going to convert my lancer into an evo 8 (I am waiting for it to land in Trinidad) and create a whole video series (tutorials and such) about the process. I am however contemplating the actual legality of doing this.

I've always wanted an Evo 8 or 9, but I know I would not be willing to put out the kind of cash some people asking for (registered obviously). So I figured if I can't afford my dream car, why not build it?

I know there are a lot of people in Trinidad who do it the illegal way, and just do the firewall swap or have a registered lancer chassis number stamped in place of the Evo's chassis number. Since I don't want to risk having my car confiscated, and for the sake of having content for my youtube channel, I've decided to swap over everything from the Evo, into my lancer (converting to 4wd as well).

I am planning to go to Ministry of Transport to find out for sure if it's legal or not, but first, I would like to get the opinions of you car enthusiasts out there. I personally believe that I'm operating in a grey area of the law (since I'm not touching the chassis number, and I'll be registering the engine change).

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Re: Is it legal to modify your vehicle or not?

Postby wagonrunner » June 13th, 2019, 12:10 pm

what you are doing seems fine legally. (insurance may have an issue with it)
plenty DET's put in 1.3 carb'd cars. some with 4wd.
what you may learn the hard way, is the disadvantage of your starting point.

sanctifier had a boss thread.on this.
can't remember if on tuner or on zorce.

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » June 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm

wagonrunner wrote:what you are doing seems fine legally. (insurance may have an issue with it)
plenty DET's put in 1.3 carb'd cars. some with 4wd.
what you may learn the hard way, is the disadvantage of your starting point.

sanctifier had a boss thread.on this.
can't remember if on tuner or on zorce.

The disadvantage being Front wheel drive? :lol:

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 15th, 2019, 1:04 am

nope. they're starting wtih a chassis that was designed to handle a certain amount of forces
the powertrain is going to increase those forces
subframe alone didnt cut it for others.

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » June 17th, 2019, 1:43 pm

wagonrunner wrote:nope. they're starting wtih a chassis that was designed to handle a certain amount of forces

Well yea but I don't plan to push it past 400 bhp. I believe the stock lancer chassis can handle that. Wouldn't I just need to add roll bars to improve rigidity tho?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » June 17th, 2019, 8:27 pm

TheAutoDIYGuyYT wrote:Well yea but I don't plan to push it past 400 bhp. I believe the stock lancer chassis can handle that. Wouldn't I just need to add roll bars to improve rigidity tho?

thats out of my scope.
you continue and let us know

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » June 18th, 2019, 7:53 am

TheAutoDIYGuyYT wrote:
wagonrunner wrote:nope. they're starting wtih a chassis that was designed to handle a certain amount of forces

Well yea but I don't plan to push it past 400 bhp. I believe the stock lancer chassis can handle that. Wouldn't I just need to add roll bars to improve rigidity tho?
You can put the roll cage for added rigidity, and you can stich weld the seams, there is also a sealant that can be filled inside the chassis rails to reinforce it.

There is a design I saw that was done in the trunk space with roll cage bars that reinforces the entire backend and ties it in with the rest of the car. I'll see if I can find it.

You have plenty options with reinforcing the car

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » June 18th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Kronik wrote:
TheAutoDIYGuyYT wrote:

You can put the roll cage for added rigidity, and you can stich weld the seams, there is also a sealant that can be filled inside the chassis rails to reinforce it.

There is a design I saw that was done in the trunk space with roll cage bars that reinforces the entire backend and ties it in with the rest of the car. I'll see if I can find it.

You have plenty options with reinforcing the car

Oh that's very comforting to read. Thank you @Kronik.
I do plan to add more welds to increase rigidity, as well as roll cage bars, but wouldn't I need to remove existing seam sealer before welding? That's one of the issues I'm worried about.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » June 18th, 2019, 12:42 pm

A wire brush wheel will remove that easily, will just take some time. I may attempt to do a project like this in the future, preferably with a E6 conversion, if not this, something a little more ambitious along the electric route

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”