Forums

stability suspension mods for a CK Lancer

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

stability suspension mods for a CK Lancer

Postby venum » June 12th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Gimme some options as well as educate me on this since I possess limited knowledge.

car has stock springs, shocks and underbody stabilizer bar

ride height raised a little with 14" rims

what do you guys recommend to improve the stability

especially during hard corners

upper stabilizer bar as well as rear upper and lower stabilizer bars?

or just front upper and rear lower?

JUS4SHO
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby JUS4SHO » June 13th, 2006, 6:57 am

u getting a lot of body roll and the opposite tyre to the direction to which u turning tyre hops if so let me know (i dont know how hard u push d car)
but it seems u need a good shock spring set up, also and i know u will not like this , u need to run a lower profile tyre cause i sure u get a lot of side wall flex

Rudman
Shifting into 6th
Location: Finding out all the good tyres in life begins with "R".

Postby Rudman » June 13th, 2006, 7:50 am

Venum runs a 60 series profile tyre right now. How low we talking about here? 50, perhaps even a 45 series?

Shock and spring setup. Show, u still running those Excel G's right now? What about the B&G lowering springs? Are those adequate enough for hard cornering and comfy for street use (i.e trini roads?) I hear Eibach are a bit too stiff.

What shock and spring setup U recommend? Is Koni any good? Stick with KYB's?

Bushings. Dave said there are a front set of polyurethane for the Ck lancers avaliable from Australia, around $1500. What U recommend?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » June 13th, 2006, 8:01 am

http://www.ssgti.net/tech/handle.htm

it's for the swift but I think that progression of mods is a good way to go (unless you're like me and your springs and shocks are shot and u wanna go straight to lowering springs and shocks one time)

JUS4SHO
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby JUS4SHO » June 13th, 2006, 8:04 am

all that is good on my ck i had kyb agx mated with b&g's, and at one time i had the kyb super not the excel g's, and i would say a profile of 50

for the price i would always recommend the kyb agx, the only other lancer i know with a set is w2j....

as for the bushings and anti sway bar again venum will have to say how hard he does push d car

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 13th, 2006, 8:07 am

basically u can start like with the sway bar and move from there
would reduce the body roll a lilsince the sway bar would not flex with the urethane

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 13th, 2006, 8:30 am

Yuh best bet is Whiteline in Australia. AFAIK they have a setup with bushings, front & rear stabilizer bars, springs & shocks specifically for that model. $$$... but worth every cent.
No "mix & match" req'd. Everything engineered to work together. Two stages available too.
As a starting point, these are much more important than 'bling' like strut bars etc. for the time being. They can come later. If money is a problem (Always! :roll: ) then buy bushings and swaybars first, then springs and shocks (always together IMHO) later.

Buget alternative is to use springs shocks and sway-bars from 4wd CK models like the 1800 GSR (rare, $$$ and very harsh... worse than an Evo 6 BTW.)
You are FWD, so fabrication may be req'd for rear sway-bar.

Use with '45' series as a minimum... You will rupture '40' series in a hurry. Maximum size that worked for me was 205/45 x 17" on 6 1/2" wide rims... '215's' scuffed on wheelarches.

My $0.02c :wink:

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » June 17th, 2006, 10:06 am

^^ thanx for the info guys

what bushings you talking bout? cradle arm? sway bar bushings? shock mount?

what I really want is an option to minimize body roll for dex and over\under steer during my hard corners

to mimimize the tyre side-wall flex i would have to go 15" rims with a 50 profile tyre cuz i don't think I ever saw 205\50\14 tyres

or use some 195\50\14's - if I can find

I do not want to go 16's though, although Rudman's ride on 205\45\16 felt no different than my 205\60\14 - i expect less side-wall flex there

As Uncle Sanctifier indicated, a staged approach is kinda what i am looking for

I like my current ride, it is comfortable, had a bad shock setup already, ain't want that again

I indicated sway bars cuz it would be a bolt on upgrade, without affectinfg ride quality a lot

what do you expect with top mount front sway bars and rear under mount sway bar, also optional rear top mount sway bar?

bling and rice ain't have nutting to do with the setup, it doesn't matter what it looks like

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 17th, 2006, 1:32 pm

venum wrote:what bushings you talking bout? cradle arm? sway bar bushings? shock mount?

Polyurethane bushings... sway bar first... then others like steering-rack bushings, engine mounts, rear suspension etc.
venum wrote:what I really want is an option to minimize body roll for dex and over\under steer during my hard corners

Some basic handling guidelines below... Might help?
PROBLEM AND CURE SHEET:
~Understeer on entry to a bend - Increase the 'rebound rate' of rear shocks.
Decrease the 'bump rate' of front shocks. Increase the rear brake bias or just brake earlier!
~Oversteer on entry to a bend - Decrease the 'rebound rate' of rear shocks.
Increase the 'bump rate' of front shocks. Decrease the rear brake bias, or brake later!
~Mid-bend Understeer (constant 'wash-out') - Stiffen rear spring and/or anti-roll bar.
Soften the front springs and/or anti-roll bar.
~Mid-bend Oversteer (constant 'tightening' without driver input) - Stiffen front spring and/or anti-roll bar. Soften the rear springs and/or anti-roll bar.
~Exit Understeer - Increase rebound of front shocks. Decrease bump of rear shocks.
Stiffen rear springs/anti-roll bar. Soften front springs/anti-roll bar.
~Exit Oversteer - Decrease rebound of front shocks. Increase bump of rear shocks.
Soften rear springs/anti-roll bar. Stiffen front springs/anti-roll bar.
~Car is slow to respond to driver's input - Stiffen the car by (in this order) springs,
then anti-rollbars, then shocks. Increase tyre pressure and
check heat spread (with tyre pyrometer.) (Competition use only.)
~Car hops over the bump - reverse of the above.

venum wrote:...to mimimize the tyre side-wall flex i would have to go 15" rims with a 50 profile tyre cuz i don't think I ever saw 205\50\14 tyres...
or use some 195\50\14's - if I can find...
I do not want to go 16's though, although Rudman's ride on 205\45\16 felt no different than my 205\60\14 - i expect less side-wall flex there

Think twice about increasing wheel diameter for 'dex. It will reduce acceleration... not what you really want. Hint: If you sacrifice acceleration, there should be other advantages... Keyword: Brembos! :wink:
Maybe try a wider 14" diameter rim of the correct offset that allows you to fit a wider tyre on a smaller diameter rim. Also with 14" rims on a CK Lancer, think about 1" wider rims in the front with same tyre sizes both front and rear. See "BozzSpeed Evo 6" in the Image MadMen Forum.
http://www.zorce.com/zforums/viewtopic.php?t=253
It will reduce understeer and give more "flick-ability" in a corner IMHO.
Yup costs more... but works better.
Hint: Read the current 'regs' for 'dex... Almost anything goes!
You can run Evo rims and Brembos on 17x7.5" rims & 205/45x17" tyres if you are willing to give up some acceleration. BTW don't use "40" series... the ride is terrible and they rupture quickly! Been there... Done that! :roll:

venum wrote:I indicated sway bars cuz it would be a bolt on upgrade, without affectinfg ride quality a lot
what do you expect with top mount front sway bars and rear under mount sway bar, also optional rear top mount sway bar?

Not sure what you mean by "top mount front sway bars and rear under mount sway bar, also optional rear top mount sway bar"
Sway bars... stabilizer bars... anti-roll bars... are all the same thing.
A high-tensile steel bar specially shaped for specific cars.
It connects two opposite suspension arms (either top or bottom, not both at the same time) to limit suspension movement and transfer force from the inner wheel to the outer wheel. The thicker the bar, the greater the force transferred to the outer wheel... the less the roll.

A stabilizer bar tries to keep the car's body flat by moving force from one side of the body to another. To picture how a stabilizer bar works, imagine a metal rod that is an inch or two (2 to 5 cm) in diameter. If your front tires are 5 feet (1.6 meters) apart, make the rod about 4 feet long. Attach the rod to the frame of the car in front of the front tires, but attach it with bushings in such a way that it can rotate. Now attach arms from the rod to the front suspension member on both sides.

When you go into a turn now, the front suspension member of the outside of the turn gets pushed upward. The arm of the sway bar gets pushed upward, and this applies torsion to the rod. The torsion them moves the arm at the other end of the rod, and this causes the suspension on the other side of the car to compress as well. The car's body tends to stay flat in the turn...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
venum wrote:bling and rice...

By "bling" I meant strut bars. They do work by adding chassis stiffness but it's one of the last things needed, not the first. Unfortunately 2nrs use them for style instead of chassis tuning.
Hint: For stiffer chassis see "Roll Cage" article in Image MadMen Forum on Zorce.com. Keyword: "Foamseal" :wink:

Sooo... for CK Lancer:
1. Whiteline for your model year. Buy everything available.
2. Brembos (front at least) with Evo master cylinder.
3. Evo 5-stud rims - 7.5 x 17" (need 17" with Brembos anyhow)
4. Tyres - 205/45 x 17" (may have to roll fenders for 215/45 x 17")
5. Lower rear tyre pressure as rims are same size front and rear (or use 195/45x17" rear tyre?)

My $0.02c :wink:
:Whew: That was long :roll: Humm... I think I'll post a handling article on Zorce soon.
Last edited by Sanctifier on June 17th, 2006, 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rudman
Shifting into 6th
Location: Finding out all the good tyres in life begins with "R".

Postby Rudman » June 17th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Think twice about increasing wheel diameter for 'dex. It will reduce acceleration... not what you really want. Hint: If you sacrifice acceleration, there should be other advantages... Keyword: Brembos!
Maybe try a wider 14" diameter rim of the correct offset that allows you to fit a wider tyre on a smaller diameter rim. Also with 14" rims on a CK Lancer, think about 1" wider rims in the front with same tyre sizes both front and rear. See "BozzSpeed Evo 6" in the MadMen Forum.

Been there, 16" will hurt your accleration with the current setup. That's why I got rid of them.

Uncle Sanctifier, do U think an 11lb, 15" rim will impact on accleration? I estimate the 15" rim and tyre will actually be about 5lbs lighter than my current 14" set.

Its kinda hard to find a 14x7" wide rim, I already have 14X6" rims.

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 17th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Rudman wrote:......do U think an 11lb, 15" rim will impact on accleration? I estimate the 15" rim and tyre will actually be about 5lbs lighter than my current 14" set.
Its kinda hard to find a 14x7" wide rim, I already have 14X6" rims.

Yup it will, unless you run a lower profile tyre to compensate...
e.g. a 185/70x14" tyre = 76.0" in circumferance... sidewall height = 5.1"
Your 11 lb, 15" rims can be worse (#1) or better (#2) than stock 14" example above.
#1.. a 205/60x15" tyre = 77.6" in circumferance... sidewall height = 4.8"... 2% slower.
#2.. a 205/55x15" tyre = 75.0" in circumferance... sidewall height = 4.4"... 1.3% faster.
Lighter 11 lb weight will have a better effect in improved shock damping (lower wheel rate) rather than on acceleration.

kinda hard to find a 14x7" wide rim... That's why I suggested an Evo rim and Brembos.
Hint: You can use E4 front suspension and E6 hubs etc. in CK shell... Not sure about rear. :wink:

Don't know standard tyre size for CK Lancer, but if it's close to example then swapping with a 17" rim will also give you the chance of using Brembo brakes too.
#3.. a 205/45x17" tyre = 76.2" in circumferance... sidewall height = 3.6"... 0.3% slower.
Example #3 seems almost perfect compared to stock 14"example IMHO, and gives oppertunity of having even shorter sidewall height for better stability and steering response + Brembos for shorter braking distances. Best of all worlds IMHO. I'm going 7.5x17" with 1800 4wd GSR.

See... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html ... to calculate other comparisons. :wink:
Last edited by Sanctifier on June 17th, 2006, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silvermike
Riding on 17's

Postby Silvermike » June 17th, 2006, 11:36 pm

^ wade, u going overkill for this. brembos? :mrgreen:

some lowering springs, maybe some better shocks. stiffer bushings, antiroll bars, strut bars.

he aint want nothign more, maybe less.

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 17th, 2006, 11:42 pm

If he just wants to compete it's overkill... If he wants to win... It's PERFECT! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Read Joe 250's AutoX prep on www.evolutionm.net ...on rims, tyres and braking distances.
Believe me for 'dex he will need at least front Brembos. He's lucky, regs allow it for his car.
He can even use Evo front struts & springs in CK, and play with sway-bar to tune handling.
That should take care of his "roll" problem... should sort the excessive understeer too.

Why you think its taking me so long to get to 'dex???... Correct parts...correct prep and $$$ :wink: BTW the 4wd GSR will compete first... then the E6 after. :wink:

Silvermike
Riding on 17's

Postby Silvermike » June 18th, 2006, 12:06 am

^ dex is 10% car, 90% driver :mrgreen:

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » June 18th, 2006, 3:01 am

by far the biggest difference would be seen by fitting kumho victors. I see that taking of a good 3-5 seconds in solodex over regular street tyres.

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » June 18th, 2006, 6:19 am

yep the excel G's are pretty good. some good springs and the upper strut bar should be fine. Tyre wise I agree with SHO. Less tyrewall = less flexing

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » June 18th, 2006, 11:31 am

Silvermike wrote:^ dex is 10% car, 90% driver :mrgreen:

Joe 250... http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo/steamroller.htm
..."had a set of wheels made up. Fitting them... required custom spacers, longer studs and some heavy-duty fender rolling, but they fit! And not only are we running the width tires that we wanted (285's), but they're mounted on rims wide enough to properly support them...

Results so far have been excellent... we have a lot more grip everywhere. Braking is ridiculous. ...we were reaching the turn-in point at a crawl. We were able to move our braking points forward. Plus tire wear is down"...

Maybe give a few more % to brakes, rims and tyres??? :wink:
Anyway for somebody like me with zero 'dex experience... I need all the help I can get. :lol:

vipervega
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vipervega » May 7th, 2008, 8:40 pm

i jus bumpin it

VIP2Nr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby VIP2Nr » May 7th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Holy Best Suspension Tuning Info On 2Nr Ever!

:lol:

Nice....

ryansouthman
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby ryansouthman » May 8th, 2008, 9:57 am

TCS could help you with sourcing some stuff.... sways, struts and H braces..

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » May 15th, 2008, 8:31 am

vipervega wrote:i jus bumpin it

^ ^ ^ Jeez... this is an OLD thread! :)

BTW more Suspension Tuning info here...
Link--> ~From The Archives ~ Roadholding!

... and some Image Alignment Settings here...
Link--> Mitsubishi alignment settings, and what they really mean!

My $0.02¢

rodneymatthews
Riding on 13's

Re: stability suspension mods for a CK Lancer

Postby rodneymatthews » October 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Need a rear sway bar anti roll bar for a ck 2 lancer anyone knows where i can purchase one and what brand name best suited

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: stability suspension mods for a CK Lancer

Postby *KRONIK* » October 18th, 2018, 5:00 pm

rodneymatthews wrote:Need a rear sway bar anti roll bar for a ck 2 lancer anyone knows where i can purchase one and what brand name best suited
There is the ck mivec rear antisway bar available in the bamboo if you going that way.
Be sure to get the brackets and rear arms with it with the link.
Considering that the newest piece of that will be from a YOM 2000 mivec lancer.
Cater to put new bushings and linkages.

Back in the days a couple of us did the rear mivec conversion, but you need to use adjustable shocks to set the damping as the steering dynamics change drastically with this installed

What exactly you need the rear stabilizer bar for?

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”