TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

*** FWD to 4WD conversion various Nissan Models ***

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

*** FWD to 4WD conversion various Nissan Models ***

Postby Picasso » January 23rd, 2008, 11:17 pm

I noticed that their are very few 4WD Nissan cars eg. B13's and etc around T&T.. Hope this thread sheds the light on certain fwd model Nissan cars that can be converted to 4WD.

I can get for myself in great condition a fwd B13. I have a very good idea of the list of parts that will be needed to make the fwd to 4wd conversion possible... I got a few questions to the hands on guys on the forum who would have had first hand information on doing a successful fwd B13 or B14 conversion to 4WD.

Questions...

1) What do I look for on a fwd B13 or B14 ( under the vehicle ) that will let me know that the vehicle can be converted to 4wd ?

2) What model 4wd Nissan vehicle drive train will work successfully on the fwd B13 and B14 chassis converting it to all wheel drive ?

3) Is their any cutting and welding to be done other than the " everything will bolt up " talk ?

Other members on the forum that have any other questions they will like to add to this thread feel free to add to matter how stupid you may think it is.. This thread is to make it easy and clear the confusion on doing a fwd Nissan to 4wd conversion. Try to post pics of the various parts and post part numbers so that members would know exactly what they will need.

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » January 23rd, 2008, 11:35 pm

I wouldn't say its impossible.. but i can say it will be hard..and not the easy bolt up... ( well to my knowledge) I know there are a few ppl who doin (did) they conversion.. I know to the point where they were buying awd parts.. after that I don't know if they got thru or not.. but i'm guess they did.. I hope you get thru cuz ALOT of ppl goin AWD now..

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » January 23rd, 2008, 11:43 pm

I wouldn't say its impossible.. but i can say it will be hard..and not the easy bolt up... ( well to my knowledge)

Care to share ? This is not for me alone but for anyone wanting to do the conversion on their own with precise information on parts that they will need to aquire.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » January 23rd, 2008, 11:48 pm

Picasso,very good topic.

i was thinkin more along the lines of a B11 sunny for me tho. can you run a 4wd SR20DET in this? what car would someone have to source the parts from for this conversion? how much cutting and were will it need to be done?

sss
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby sss » January 24th, 2008, 6:29 am

i was actually looking to do this to my u13 but it will not work we placed my friend awd u13 over a pit and from looking at his there are some slight differances in the under carriage in front and u would totally need the back suspension even the gas tank to make it work in the rear of the car even the fuel pump is in a differant location to the fwd i have however saw a ck2 mitsu converted to awd

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » January 24th, 2008, 8:52 am

the mitsu are easier..

the nissan.. ( well b13 to GTi R) the front cradle bolts diffrent.. the steering rack on the awd is located higher on the awd .. the rear suspension bolts with studs from the chassis .. So yes cutting and welding has to be done.... you have to go thru to know what has to be done..

If it was jus the rear suspension. it would have been easier.. but i dunno how you would deal with the front... I know a guy wanna do it.. I try to find out what he knows so far..

kerron01
Sweet on this forum

Postby kerron01 » January 24th, 2008, 9:12 am

I have a 4wd B14 and I wanna upgrade the suspension, what are my options?

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » January 24th, 2008, 3:25 pm

^^ What about we organise a day put your car on a ramp and take some pics of the rear 4wd setup and front cradle setup ?

Any guys with a 4WD B13 like to come out also and assist ? :|

wana-B-racer
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wana-B-racer » January 24th, 2008, 5:34 pm

You would also need to change your gas tank,

Chipz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Chipz » January 24th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Picasso, wha bout conversion for an AD wagon

CarzStuff
Ricer

Postby CarzStuff » January 24th, 2008, 10:52 pm

this is a really interesting topic, interested in the b14 conversion.

Furlz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Furlz » January 24th, 2008, 11:50 pm

How about the P11 ??
Anyone has the AWD P11 ??

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » January 25th, 2008, 1:28 am

seems that we have alot of "can i do it to this car?" but no suggestions so.....................think its possible to get 4wd versions to cars like the b14, b13 and the other cars thats been mentioned here and do a comparison? like take pictures and stuff of the underneath?

Sinister_Audio
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sinister_Audio » January 25th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Furlz wrote:How about the P11 ??
Anyone has the AWD P11 ??

i think there was a red one on the track
with a U13 SR20DET 4WD swap.

Dave-ve
Trinituner Peong

Postby Dave-ve » January 25th, 2008, 9:06 pm

the S13 rear suspension looks pretty close to a B13/ P10. even though one is fwd and one rwd, the S13 rear looks like it would fit without major modifications.

QG
punchin NOS

Postby QG » January 26th, 2008, 12:45 pm

This conversion was done to a B11 blue sunny with the SR20DET 4 Throttle 4WD engine.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » January 26th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Nissan QG15DE,any info on it?

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 26th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Why go through all the headache of converting a fwd b14 to awd? There are a fair amount of awd b14's on the road. On the other hand a awd b13 will be kinda hard to find. If u looking to buy ah awd b13 ah know ah fella who had one for sale and it came originally with ah gearbox, not sure if it still for sale though. Didn't someone already do a conversion with a fwd b14 to an awd one using the suspension parts from the pulsar (RNN14 i think). The car was for sale right here on trinituner. But I do believe that alot of cutting/fabricating weill be needed for this conversion to work.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 26th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Also seen alot of awd AD wagons around and about. I know someone wid ah AWD AD wagon that came originally with manual with a QG18DE, runs like a beyotch :twisted:

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 26th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Also seen alot of awd AD wagons around and about. I know someone wid ah AWD AD wagon that came originally with manual with a QG18DE, runs like a beyotch :twisted:

kerron01
Sweet on this forum

Postby kerron01 » January 26th, 2008, 3:20 pm

bump
Last edited by kerron01 on March 7th, 2008, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 26th, 2008, 6:41 pm

wasent there a FWD-AWD primera for sale on the forums a couple months back????

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 26th, 2008, 6:46 pm

looking at the thread it could have always been 4wd....
sold now though
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... +vibration

QG
punchin NOS

Postby QG » January 27th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Anything is possible once you've got the money and there are parts availability.

Chipz
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Chipz » January 27th, 2008, 10:03 pm

cacasplat3 wrote:wasent there a FWD-AWD primera for sale on the forums a couple months back????

yea look it here
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/pos ... &p=2326374

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 27th, 2008, 10:15 pm

^^^^u posted a link to quote my post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and i already found it and posted it :wink:

fro20
Ricer

Postby fro20 » January 28th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Hey wut up Picasso, thought I wou;ld register to share some of my insight from my experience thus far.

Here is a link to my current progress so I dont have to repost all the pics again
http://www.sr20-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1016

Pics on the 1st and second page

Now, someone mantioned the front being the hard part and the rear being easier, that is quite the contrary. The front will be very easy, just reference the pics.

A simple cut of the gtir firewall to move the mounting locations for the rack and rear tranny mount to the b13 firewall and that is done for steering and it makes the clearance for the gearbox and beginning of the drive shaft. None of this is structural, so it is not a big deal and if you dont have a spare firewall or front clip to use as a donor, then just use sheet metal, probably some 16ga steel. Plus you guys are RHD right. So get the gtir front clip and just straight up swap the firewalls, that is really easy and eliminates alot of fab work, especially since you will have the shortened gtir steering column.

Next remove the b13 front subframe and vertical mounting points from the frame rails, remove hte "L" shaped frame spars from the gtir, and weld in place on the b13.

The Left side motor mounts are also easy. The forward one bolts right in. The rear one will bolt on once the frame spars are replaced on the b13 with the gtir spars. There are no threaded bolt holes for the rear left side tranny mount, so just TID it on or put in some thread inserts.

Onto the right side mount, you can leave that and use the b13 sr20 mount, or remove it by drilling the spot welds and removing the seam sealer and put the larger, beefier gtir mount on with a tig welder.

Now that that is done, drop in the motor and drive around on FWD unti you come up with more money to finish the driveshaft tunnel and move onto the rear.

So there are alot of steps to the front but none of it is structural except the frame spars, but those are easy, they will only go on one way. The rear is going to be all structural, so that makes it more difficult as it is extremely important for it to be pefect.

Remove the fuel tank and toss it, you will need a fuel cell or gtir fuel tank. Might as well use a fuel cell.

Now the the fuel cell is out of the way you can see alot more room to work with. The FWD unibodied cars bolt the rear suspension arms straight to the unibody, and the gtir uses a rea subframe to mount the suspension, dif and all. So now you need to cut out the whole rear section of the car.

Right behind the rear seat, take a measurement to see where the forward most mounting point will be on the subframe, mark it and make the cut a few inches in front of that. Now cut all the way to the rear past the spare wheel well. Your trunk should be completely cut out now all the way to the outside of the ram rails. The reason is a new rear stubframe will need to be fabbed from chromoly to be welded to the frame rails that will curve up into the trunlk area a al s13/rnn14 (if you can source a junk rnn14 body down there with a good rear, just cut out the area of the gitr and the b13 and swap...done) style.

When building the rear stub frame you will incorporate a fuel cell into the rear end where the spare wheel well usd to be, so whel you weld this thing in it will be of sheet metal to create the new floorpan in the rear and the rea stubframe and fuel cell all in one. Now you bolt the subframe to the stub and the rear is almost done.

The last thing I did not mention is makeing the driveshaft tunnel. That part is really easy. Jus tuse some sheet metal, steel or aluminum. For wither materila just bend and put in place, then use seem sealer/chemical welder. For steel hit it with a few spot weld and then seam seal it. Now have the custom drave shaft made and done.

The hardest part of the rear is to make sure to take proper measurements for the makinf of the stub frame so the gtir subframe will sit low or high enough. In this you can also customize suspension geometery if you like by raising or lowerg the subframe placement just like using subframe spacers on a s13. But the good thing is the suspension geometry for the rear will be correct because it will remain mounted to the subframe aslo helping make the rear rigid to handle the applied torque to the rear that the FWD chassis was previously unable to hold.

Thats it in a nut shell, of course you will run into things along the way, but if you have the right tools or access to them and can TIG weld well or know someone who can it is fairly easy, just very time consuming for those of us who's profession is not fabrication and costly because of the rear stub frame that must be built.

Jeremy

wana-B-racer
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wana-B-racer » January 28th, 2008, 4:01 pm

fro20
Ricer

Postby fro20 » January 28th, 2008, 6:49 pm

if thats the red b13 seen it. Wish those guys werent smart asses about it and would share the wealth if it is true.

I mean that is a badass tranny for AWD if it is holding 604. It must be a $5k tranny to hold

sss
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby sss » January 29th, 2008, 6:37 am

lawd that is what u call project :twisted:

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”