TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Will 4wd sr20det work in a 4wd wingroad?

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » June 28th, 2005, 3:13 pm

thast why you do a leakdown and compression test to make sure the valves are sealing properly and that the piston rings and headgasket are still sealing the enigne... if you get poor values on any of these, you'll knwo you got a bad engine, and when you start it, hook up an oil presure guage, so you know the engine is getting good oil presure, and ensure you prime the engine before starting it, thats a common cause of engines knocking, (being started with no oil on the crank/bearings/rods and damagins them) also amke sure the oil pan is not dented or cracked, if dented, open it andpong it out befire starting the engine, as this may lead to oil starvation as well. where the pan is in contact wiht the oil pick up (or in some cases has broken it off inside the pan) so it cant pick up oil properly to feed/lub the engine

Yeah but boss the average Joe buying an engine eh doing that they buying and running to instal then 3 days after total engine failure expecialy if it is a DET they running it like ah hound from hell :twisted:

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » June 28th, 2005, 4:35 pm

the avg joe wont jus go buy gtir engine and put it in a wingroad.
esp a boosted one :idea:

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » June 28th, 2005, 4:49 pm

yuh have no idea how bad an individual can be miss lead like a fella who came in the bamboo the other day told to buy a GA16 cause it have more hp than and SR20 and RB20 boi ah nearly dead and the man want to argue saying he will show we how he beating ah SR20 stock for stock with no mods he nearly get throw out

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » June 29th, 2005, 10:30 am

Yeah but boss the average Joe buying an engine eh doing that they buying and running to instal then 3 days after total engine failure expecialy if it is a DET they running it like ah hound from hell

thats why i am reccomending that they do this :roll: to prevent something like this happening..

cdmg
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Will 4wd sr20det work in a 4wd wingroad?

Postby cdmg » August 4th, 2016, 11:31 pm

Resurrection time. Eleven years later and now it seems the time has finally come to undertake this conversion (If I could get all the parts I need reasonably priced).

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » August 12th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Well by now you should have your parts list?!! What exactly you looking for?

cdmg
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cdmg » August 12th, 2016, 12:41 pm

coltspeed wrote:Well by now you should have your parts list?!! What exactly you looking for?

:D you would think so ehhh.

I basically need 4wd sr20 (DE or DET) with suitable gearbox, all mounts, axles, bigger rotors and suitable rear diff (with disc brakes). Not completely sure as to the options available but whatever I get should be reliable and relatively easily maintainable.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » August 15th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Are you on a budget for this build?

*There are plenty of brakes options (front & rear) so this can be a last item for you.

*Engine choice will be up to your budget (SR20- DE, VE, DET) but going DE or VE will have up an running faster than doing a DET. My advice if you holding $$ go boosted. The other options are front FWD engines so you know they wont output much on 4WD. Their original 2WD forms will be faster.

*Manual conversion parts - Clutch pedal, master & slave cylinder, lines, shifter assembly and rods. OR are you already a manual?

* Automatic 4WD SR20 transmissions - these are an option and will be easier to install given that the driveshaft will line up with the transmission transfer case with little mods.

* Axles - This one is tricky!!! I've seen allot of these work by guess recently, by changing spindles to accommodate larger diameter axles, matching inner and outer, LS & RS axles with different models and varying lengths to match. OR there is the option to get it done professionally cut, welded and sleeved.

* Engine mounts - Tricky also as there are mounts that will work in different location from other models, may have some fabrication to do depending on how the engine lines up to the firewall and crossmember - Remember to get all mounts when purchasing the engine and drivetrain.

* Electrical and A/C lines is a do over, you will have to check your options with the power steering lines.

*Radiator fan clearance and in/out location for engine coolant. 3 options if they don't line up - change hoses, modify existing rad to hose location, buy another that will work.

*Upgrading rear diff - I don't see a need if your not going boosted, the existing one should work just fine on an N/A SR20. If boosting, there are other diff's than the Pulsar GTIR that will be cheaper and more available but you will have to check thoroughly with what have and if they can line up within the sub-frame with any necessary modifications.
These diff's can be found in the Bluebird SSS U12 & U13 and Avenir W10 & W11. Both came 4WD SR20DET automatic and manual.

To the top - if you have no budget, unlimited spending, won the lotto and have no friends to appreciate your awesomeness then PM me and i will see to it that this car runs just like a GTIR within days. Advanced Down payment required.

cdmg
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cdmg » August 15th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Vehicle is already 5fwd and came with the 4wd GA15DE. I am also considering the 4wd QG18 which seems to be an easy bolt in. If a 4wd SR20DE is an option I might consider this. Don't need to go boosted and in fact the more I think about it the less I am in love with the idea of going turbo.
Thanks for the input, coltspeed

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » August 17th, 2016, 7:30 am

Turbo is always good! My daily is an N/A which i am very much pleased with and i have 2 boosted projects. Its not that much hype about maintenance and reliability when boosting, you just have to know your limits when driving.
The QG18 sounds like a great idea & you can also boost it later on. Parts for the conversion are affordable even for the smallest budget and i personally know of 3 cars that have them more than 4 years and have never broke down to this date, only regular service done.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”