TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

VVL Tuning Tips (20v and ve pics inside)

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 4th, 2005, 3:50 pm

^^ dat is so true.. the ports do not line up .. they it will over lap a bit .. the best thing you might me able to do is do over a plate and get the pipes bent to overlat the ports and yuh on like boil corn untill yuh get them aftermarket extractors :|

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » October 4th, 2005, 4:12 pm

yuh just have tuh slot the bolt holes on the header. the most yuh have tuh move it is 1/4 inch. ah explain all ah dis on de last page.

VE is not newer than the p11 DE they are the same age. both were born in '97

price difference is negligible or zero.

so ca19 buy the right header! d headers yuh advertise on d previous page dat ah tell yuh is d wrong ones is for the older DE's yuh see it have HP10 mark on all ah dem? HP10 is de P10 old model primera dat have old model highport non roller engine and dey use ah lambda sensor not ah narrow band and is de wrong thread size.

so yuh wrong all around and still fighting tuh fit ah square peg in ah round hole

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » October 4th, 2005, 4:37 pm

http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/mc-prod/

whoever want tuh buy go tuh dat page and select the right one for yuh engine and chassis. SR's on second page use de lil red arrows tuh go tuh next page. price is de same for all SR, 63,000 yen and dey come in two flavours each, polished and non polished. polished is plenty more expensive and ah waste ah time in my opinion cause is just bling and it doh make no power. plus 2 rev round de block and it turn blue and some nasty brown and dat is de end ah dat.

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » October 5th, 2005, 10:13 am

first off crack korn, i not buying anything for a SR, i dont have a SR, i got a 350+whp CA18DET - dont need no stinking headers :D

so that aside :) all i was saying is that i am sure if you find a DE one, and cant get a VE specific header, i dont see this being a big problem to use the DE... as finding the correct O2 sensor wouldnt be problem.. (ebay :)) i was un aware of the slight port match issue, but as you said that can be fixed easily

i'm outta here, i see you guys very passionate about your lil' VE's

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » October 5th, 2005, 2:54 pm

faddah! u still talking bout DE headers! The topic of this post is 'vvl tuning tips' not 'vvl detuning tips'. We looking for more performance not less.

Anybody I know or read about so far that put on ah DE header on ah VE get reduced performance compared to d original stock manifold. This is after ports line up and correct O2 installed.

The VE header easy tuh get! The fujitsubo from japan or the states, and it have d hotshot gen 6 dat build for the VE or all out race DE's from the states as well. Both ah dese are well proven performers for the VE platform. It have others as well that built for the VE.

You sounding like d kinda fella go buy square rims (cause dey cheap) and grind dem till dey get round and den feel proud dat yuh save money. Doh mind d candle cost more dan d funeral and what yuh end up with outa balance and looking like sheet.

If yuh doh know about the VE in detail and doh have one and not interested in a N/A build, why yuh on this thread advising so strongly about things yuh know nothing about? Turbo and N/A completely different. It easy tuh make power with boost as long as yuh parts could withstand it, just increase boost and fuel. With N/A we have tuh squeeze ah 2hp here and 1hp there and so one by one dey add up tuh produce something with better performance dan what we start off with. Is a lot of fine tuning and weighing of gains against losses so that the end product averages out better. In the long run it is a proven fact that N/A is more expensive for less gain in HP. Yuh cyar beat boost! (if yuh comparing same cc size and fuel octane) Tuh do dat is tuh defy the laws of physics.

Why yuh doh start a thread on tuning the CA18DET and tell people how tuh get tuh dat 350whp and beyond, ah promise ah wouldnt interject cause ah ent know nutten bout d CA18. Ah might ask yuh some questions doh tuh learn, ah hope yuh wouldn't mind, seeing as u know bout dat engine.

3ne2nrp11
Riding on 13's

Postby 3ne2nrp11 » October 5th, 2005, 10:59 pm

I have the fujitsubo header & cat back in my p11 and it sound and work great

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » October 6th, 2005, 2:44 am

Anyway back tuh d tuning tips. Seeing as we in ah tropical country and it will not get freezing cold in our lifetime (hopefully) the water hose dat flows tru d throttle body is not needed.

It is there for 2 reasons one it provides a mechanical fast idle for cold starts, and two it would have de-iced your throttle body and intake manifold in winter. People on the sr20forum say it there tuh clean throttle body of the gum from EGR system, well VE ent have EGR so dat irrelevant again even if it true.

The first reason is somewhat redundant since the ecu automatically fast idles the car once it senses a temperature below operating temp. The second reason is of no significance in trinbago.

So remove it and bypass this hose and yuh will reduce yuh intake manifold temperature and hence improve cylinder filling and hence output power. Once yuh do this however yuh will have tuh either remove the linkage that adjusts fast idle or there is ah lil allen screw with ah 8mm nut yuh could use tuh adjust out d effect of the linkage at cold.

If yuh combine dat with ah set ah thermoblock spacers, things go be nice.

PS. Even if yuh already do it while yuh doing all ah dis above clean yuh throttle body good. Adjust tps correctly, set new tps reading in ecu, adjust idle speed, then engine timing, perform idle air volume learing in ecu. Call it george.

By de way this could work in all engines that have ah similar system not just the VE, the new model DE is ah good example.

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th
Location: on the side of the road maptracing and reflashing the ecu

Postby R. Mutt » October 6th, 2005, 6:31 am

Krack korn...I'm guessing with all your tips and knowledge ur running a VE setup...how come you don't run the car at wallers etc....the Honda men always callin u guys out and like to boast because they are beating de's which is frail in comparison to a B16A.

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » October 6th, 2005, 6:49 am

LOL that man call a DE frail..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » October 6th, 2005, 10:49 am

hey Kraker if i didnt ask thee kinda questions who will ;)

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 20th, 2005, 7:06 pm

ITS ALIVE..... Just bumping the thread fellas :mrgreen:

sr20ve
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby sr20ve » October 24th, 2005, 1:06 am

anybody do anything interesting with their vvl or need help with anything ... i real bored these days .... :fadein:

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » October 24th, 2005, 6:48 am

What vvl controller you using, sr20ve?

sr20ve
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby sr20ve » October 24th, 2005, 5:08 pm

greddy multi switching system

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » October 25th, 2005, 7:29 am

all you need is some sumit racing switches and yuh good cheaper and gets the job done :P

sr20ve
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby sr20ve » November 3rd, 2005, 4:35 am

vvl head[/img]

and a bump

blue_toothbrush
Sweet on this forum

Postby blue_toothbrush » November 26th, 2005, 1:30 am

so whtas the best gearbox to mate with the sr20VE in a primera which has CVT M6 tiptronic transmission? I hear it suppose to be mated to a 6spd buh u can'tfind it n e where and ppl duz put in the m6 5 spd but is over rev.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » November 26th, 2005, 9:30 pm

^i keep seeing ppl saying that the VE have tuh be connected tuh ah 6 speed else it go over rev. First off the CVT M6 has no gear ratios like a conventional gearbox or tranny. The M6 is simulated. It is an option generated by the transmission controller. Nissan could change the programming tomorrow and make it a M2, M3, M12 whatever. They just settled on 6, marketing and this is what peole expect from a modern 'sport car' at least 6 gears.

Ah see yuh mention ah M6 5 spd there, PM meh with price and where ah could get one, dat go be worth some money in ah few years.

The drive from the engine to the differential is by a steel belt on 2 tapered pullies, by varying the distance between each half of each pully (increasing the distance in one while reducing it it the other) so this way belt tension is always applied, the gear ratios are varied, hence Continously Variable Transmission or Infinitely Variable Transmission, called CVT or IVT. Ah go take some pictures and post up one ah dese days of the nissan cvt.

In theory the number of gear ratios that can be generated is infinite. In practice the transmission changes the gear ratios in small increments that is limited in this case specifically by the resolution of the stepper motor.

If u are changing a transmission or gearbox the things that matter are the final gear ratio, not the differential gear ratio, but the overall ratio from the crank to the wheels and the RPM's that the engines (donor and reciever) revs to. If there is a big difference in RPM u will over rev or 'under rev' also gear ratios are designed to take advantage of the 'power band' of the engine if u get wrong ratios, no matter how many, your engine would appear to be shiet.

The '97 to '01 SR20VE came mated to the CVT M6 tranny only! It was sold only in japan in the primera, bluebird and wingroad.

The 2001+ SR20VE (commonly refered to as the 20V and NO it does not have 20 valves) came mated to a 6 speed gearbox only! It never came automatic, it was sold only in japan in the primera alone. Nissan may have made a marketing error here because for a car of this size, class and cost not many people wanted a manual car hence not many were made, and this engine and its gearbox are somewhat rare.

So to finally answer your queston: First off any FWD SR series tranny or gearbox would bolt up and work on the VE. The better boxes would be from the P11 and U14's, the older boxes are not as strong, try to get the one with the fins. Also if u can find an SR16 gearbox that would be about as strong but RPM range is different. The best of course would be the 20V gearbox but finding one is a problem. If yuh in possesion of paper yuh could get new 6 speed boxes from Quaife and dem brothers. As is ah primera yuh putting it in, best box for money and least hassle is the P11/U14, yuh mount in the right place, the axles from that box would slide in perfect in yuh car and the RPM ranges close, 'power band' ah lil off yuh would keep falling out of VVL activation on each shift but since yuh might be using ah external VVL activator this could be solved. But yuh will definitely not over rev.

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » November 27th, 2005, 2:38 am

Krack korn, let me ask you, can a GTI-R gearbox be bolted to a VE?
The reason I am asking, is that my car is made up like the y11 with 4wd, that is it has the driveshaft tunnel, mounting holes and plate, etc. SO I was thinking of doing a conversion to 4wd. What do you think?

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » November 27th, 2005, 6:23 am

^^killer ah not sure about that, ah believe so but ah would let someone who know for sure comment on that. Ah know d flywheel from d GTI-R wouldn't work. Ah think de rest of it go bolt up good but as ah say before...

Yuh heading down d right track though d ZV-S sub frame is same as wingroad 4WD sub frame. 4WD go give yuh ah nice launch. Not as nice as subaru and evo because of the torque splitting being uneven but still nicer dan FWD.

Yuh would be surer of no problems if yuh use d primera P11 4wd tranny or gearbox. no interfacing problems whatsoever wit d VE and d most yuh go have tuh modify is d driveshaft towards d back between d engine and d support bearing. Ah suspect however dat if yuh get d stuff off a 4wd y11 it go interface wid d P11 4wd tranny no problem.

blue_toothbrush
Sweet on this forum

Postby blue_toothbrush » November 27th, 2005, 9:55 am

so which gearbox would you get most of the power from with the sr20ve?
the 6spd or the 5 spd r doesnt really matter?

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » November 27th, 2005, 9:58 am

The p11 primera came with 4wd box? I didn't know that :!: I only thought is was tranny......but thanks for the info, Yuh help meh out there!

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » November 27th, 2005, 7:43 pm

gras, the gearbox not going to change the power of the engine. U getting a 6spd box somewhere? If so take the 6spd in preference to the 5spd but as ah say before is ah question of availablility.

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » November 27th, 2005, 11:33 pm

Krack Korn, you by any chance know where to find a p11 4wd gearbox??????

(Please say yes, please say yes.....)

sr20ve
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby sr20ve » November 27th, 2005, 11:49 pm

the gtir and sr20ve have the same block so i believe the gtir gearbox shoud bolt up

blue_toothbrush
Sweet on this forum

Postby blue_toothbrush » November 28th, 2005, 2:04 am

so it wouldnt affect the performance of the car? or let's say acceleration?

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » November 28th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Killer ah know where yuh could find it but it go involve gun and thing tuh get it. ah cyar direct yuh where tuh get one right now tuh buy doh, yuh might have tuh arrange with ah F/U dealer and order.

but look sr20ve say dat d GTI-r go work, yuh just have tuh get ah normal flywheel.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » November 28th, 2005, 7:46 pm

gras of course it would affect performance, gearing is critical and one of d reason dat honda does give nissan some strain. The 6 spd box would be the best but finding it is d problem.

URBANRACER
Street 2NR

Postby URBANRACER » November 28th, 2005, 9:20 pm

All SR engines, can use the same tranny! They will all bolt up! I run a sr16ve tranny with my sr20ve. The reason i do that is because the short gear ratio is better for drag!

JUN

MonsterPower
punchin NOS

Postby MonsterPower » November 29th, 2005, 1:09 am

jun pm me if ur in ny

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”