TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby vct17inch » April 21st, 2016, 6:29 am

Do cars have heater cores that feed from the engine coolant to heat the cabin? I think pickups have them. But I'm not sure if cars also have them. Or are the heaters in cars electric or something?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby skylinechild » April 21st, 2016, 8:09 am

vct17inch wrote:Do cars have heater cores that feed from the engine coolant to heat the cabin? I think pickups have them. But I'm not sure if cars also have them. Or are the heaters in cars electric or something?

yes all modern day cars have heater cores. if you look at the firewall from inside by the engine you'll see two metal pipes sticking out. thats where the core gets its connection to. hot coolant flows thru the core when the valve is openend - thereby warming up the interior of the car. very useful in colder countries.

in some luxury cars there may be more than one heater core (left vs right) and they may also have electric heating elements for the seat...

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Re: RE: Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby vct17inch » April 21st, 2016, 8:24 am

skylinechild wrote:
vct17inch wrote:Do cars have heater cores that feed from the engine coolant to heat the cabin? I think pickups have them. But I'm not sure if cars also have them. Or are the heaters in cars electric or something?

yes all modern day cars have heater cores. if you look at the firewall from inside by the engine you'll see two metal pipes sticking out. thats where the core gets its connection to. hot coolant flows thru the core when the valve is openend - thereby warming up the interior of the car. very useful in colder countries.

in some luxury cars there may be more than one heater core (left vs right) and they may also have electric heating elements for the seat...

Thanks bro.
So it'd have a heater core and a condenser in any vehicle?
The heater core wouldn't rely be useful with our climate tho. I asked because someone recommended turning on the heater to bleed the air from the engine coolant passage if there is any air. But I guess it would be best practice to turn on the heater to ensure the system is void of air when changing coolant

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: RE: Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby skylinechild » April 21st, 2016, 8:42 am

vct17inch wrote:Thanks bro.
The heater core wouldn't rely be useful with our climate tho. I asked because someone recommended turning on the heater to bleed the air from the engine coolant passage if there is any air. But I guess it would be best practice to turn on the heater to ensure the system is void of air when changing coolant

i think youre getting a bit confused.....

heater core takes heat from the coolant - and pushes it into the cabin area - useful in cold countries.
the condenser is located behind the front bumper - in FRONT of the radiator - its function is to dissipate heat generated by the ac compressor compressing the R134 refrigerant - also known as as gas - some ppl (wrongly) call the gas freon

turning on the heater core to bleed air from the passage is recommended but what they ACTUALLY meant is for you to slide the temp control to HOT (to allow coolant to pass thru the core) turn OFF the ac system ensure the button is to off so the ac compressor will not start when the engine is started.

then go ahead with replacing the coolant.

if you have any questions let me know. 8-)

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby vct17inch » April 21st, 2016, 9:24 am

skylinechild wrote:
vct17inch wrote:Thanks bro.

i think youre getting a bit confused.....

heater core takes heat from the coolant - and pushes it into the cabin area - useful in cold countries.
the condenser is located behind the front bumper - in FRONT of the radiator - its function is to dissipate heat generated by the ac compressor compressing the R134 refrigerant - also known as as gas - some ppl (wrongly) call the gas freon

turning on the heater core to bleed air from the passage is recommended but what they ACTUALLY meant is for you to slide the temp control to HOT (to allow coolant to pass thru the core) turn OFF the ac system ensure the button is to off so the ac compressor will not start when the engine is started.

then go ahead with replacing the coolant.

if you have any questions let me know. 8-)

I meant evaporator not condenser sorry. There's the heater core and an evaporator in the HVAC assembly in the cabin not so?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby skylinechild » April 21st, 2016, 6:37 pm

vct17inch wrote:I meant evaporator not condenser sorry. There's the heater core and an evaporator in the HVAC assembly in the cabin not so?

correct. they both are convection radiators.
heater core passes heat to the inside cabin by using hot coolant
evaporator core passes coldness to the inside of d cabin. ( by using compressed refrigerant )

they both are located inside the HVAC unit....different sections for those two cores

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question: Do cars have heater cores?

Postby vct17inch » April 21st, 2016, 10:21 pm

skylinechild wrote:
vct17inch wrote:I meant evaporator not condenser sorry. There's the heater core and an evaporator in the HVAC assembly in the cabin not so?

correct. they both are convection radiators.
heater core passes heat to the inside cabin by using hot coolant
evaporator core passes coldness to the inside of d cabin. ( by using compressed refrigerant )

they both are located inside the HVAC unit....different sections for those two cores

Thanks a lot for the info

oppre1945
Riding on 13's

Postby oppre1945 » September 10th, 2016, 6:06 am

Yes All mordern Day cars have heater core
A heater core is a radiator-like device used in heating the cabin of a vehicle. Hot coolant from the vehicle's engine is passed through a winding tube of the core, a heat exchanger between coolant and cabin air.

air duct cleaners portland oregon

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » September 22nd, 2016, 9:01 pm

"evaporator core passes coldness to the inside of d cabin. ( by using compressed refrigerant )"

coldness cannot be passed. Like darkness being the absence of light, coldness is the absence of heat.

AC systems and refrigeration systems are heat pumps, they typically move heat from a contained space to the outside.

In fareign where home ac systems can heat, heat is moved from outside to inside, some pool heaters work this way too.

When refrigerant gets to the evaporator it is liquid, its flow is regulated by the expansion valve and it evaporates (in the evaporator) heat from inside your car is used to evaporate the liquid refrigerant (essentially boiling it).

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”