TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

iradium plugs

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Nicknacks
Street 2NR

iradium plugs

Postby Nicknacks » November 22nd, 2018, 1:00 pm

I am thinking of using Iradium Spark Plugs in my GA15 Nissan B14 Sunny. Would it improve the performance?

Is it safe in using it? Would it hamper the fuel consumption because i already seeing a high consumption? i look forward to anyone valuable advise?

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: iradium plugs

Postby ramishrrr » November 23rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

I can't say if the IRADIUM plugs you mention would help you.

But Iridium plugs are especially noted for longest life. You can get 100,000kms on a set.
This makes Iridium the most expensive spark plug.
As to a performance plug, copper is the best but life is nowhere as Iridium.
More importantly than spark plugs to help fuel consumption on a GA15 on T&T traffic, is good driving habits, clean air filter, correct tyre pressure, and a transmission without much slip. Carrying loads of junk in your vehicle worsens your gas consumption too.

Peace.
RR.

Nicknacks
Street 2NR

Postby Nicknacks » November 25th, 2018, 8:33 am

Thank you RR for your great advice. At present my mechanic installed BPR5ES NGK plugs in the car which I think is the plug that is recommended. When you say a copper plug is this a copper plug? Other than that what plug wud you recommend? I am not too versed in these plug issues.

I am living in St.Vincent and we do not have the highways like T&T..
Your advice will be appreciated

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » November 25th, 2018, 8:48 am

I had a manual ga15, those iridium plugs would work best if you had an aftermarket ignition system installed, let's just say your stock ignition would give better results with the stock recommended plug rather than the iridium which would perform better with a beefed up ignition.

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » November 25th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Nicknacks,
The copper plugs have copper electrodes. Because copper is the second most conductive metal (between silver and gold), relatively cheap and pretty corrosive resistant, it makes for a good electrode. It is less susceptible to overheating in high performance engines as other type of plugs. But the electric arc would eventually eat it away. Plugs like platinum and more recently iridium, would last far longer. Of course iridium plugs are expensive.
My 15-year-old 1800 Fielder came with iridium. After 75,000kms I renewed the plugs. Not that they were bad, but I had a new set from Amazon. Now my car is doing 176,000kms on the second set !
In 1996 I bought a new B14 from Neal & Nassy. I sold it in 2006 with 135,000kms. It was on the second set of plugs. I never saw the original, as the mechanic just renewed them after six years. I had no problems with the original though and the engine worked well.
Were I you, I would stick with the recommended plug for the engine. Because of the engine management systems in the modern engine, plugs last far longer than in the carburettor days.
But the other factors I pointed out earlier, have some effect on your gas consumption.

Peace.
RR.

Nicknacks
Street 2NR

Postby Nicknacks » November 26th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will do as suggested and stick with the recommended plugs.
Thanks again

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”