TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

SR20 Tranny

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

WarriorPoet
Street 2NR

SR20 Tranny

Postby WarriorPoet » March 12th, 2006, 4:43 pm

I have an SR20 from a bluebird
leaking tranny fluid, light leaks
the mechanic look at it today and tell me tranny itself have
hairline cracks all over it
so it "dribbling fluid"
says I have to replace it

anyone ever hear about that..
yes it does have cracks
question is if i replace will it happen again ???

and what sort of cost is one of those trannies ?

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » March 12th, 2006, 4:57 pm

this happened to me already.
the lines in my tranny (ga16de in a b14) got hairline cracks from dry rotting. it was the original lines from new (about 8 years now). I ended up driving the car a few hundred metres after 3/4 of the tranny fluid leaked out.
we changed the lines and it worked normal once more.
i dont think it wud happen again for a while. its jus wear and tear, well in my case.

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » March 12th, 2006, 6:18 pm

jnqaz, he talking about cracks in d aluminum case not d hoses. It should not have cracked unless subjected to plentyish horsepower (250+ WHP) coupled with wheel hop, could also have been cracked by bigstone etc. but that will usually result in a single big hole not hairline cracks.

THe casing looks like it has hairline cracks all over when new so the mech could be mistaken, he could be right as well, I am not there to see it so, your best bet is to wash it down clean and then see where the oil coming from to be sure before u change tranny. Also it have a few bun down around d place where yuh could get good cases from for free to just swap out, da cost will be for the mech to do d wuk. If u having trouble finding one look for ah aluminum man and scatter he heap, pay by d pound!

Prices Start from $1200 for normal and go to about $2500 for LSD. U could possibly get dem cheaper dan $1200 look around. Other forum members will give u more recent prices, I am going from memory here on this data.
Last edited by krack korn on March 12th, 2006, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » March 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

^^oh my bad...

btw u in south africa?

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » March 12th, 2006, 7:25 pm

^nah not SA, d location <--- is correct, if yuh have ah GPS guided missile yuh could dust meh out, cross reference it.

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » March 12th, 2006, 10:40 pm

^^^lemme recheck again :|

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 13th, 2006, 10:26 am

Yeah it happens on the gearboxes as well from forsing them around and cause wheeel hop which in turn causes hariline cracks to develop. The bellhousing will have to be changed or welded.

GA16
Sweet on this forum

Postby GA16 » March 13th, 2006, 8:20 pm

when I was looking around for a tranny prices started from $1500 and up, I bun down about 3 of them before rebuilding my original one, i think I paid up to $1900 for the most. So now u have a cost factor to work with. most likely wheel hopping caused the cracks like that but that is pretty rare for a tranny to crack like that though. Ahh..... well.....life's a beyotch.

WarriorPoet
Street 2NR

Postby WarriorPoet » March 13th, 2006, 8:50 pm

whats wheel hopping ??

does it relate to excess vibration in engine ?
never heard the term before

there are two hairline cracks formed each roughtly an inch in lenght on the housing

I called today to find out about relacement trannies
I have an LSD tranny and I dont want to replace if mechanically its still good : )
anyone know where i can look for a housing alone ?

Someone did say that I could get the damaged aluminium welded pretty inexpensively as the tranny doesnt have a high pressure on it

thoughts ?
and would this ultimately affect performance or damage tranny ?

Tuner Imports
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Tuner Imports » March 13th, 2006, 8:54 pm

if its a rear wheel drive tranny u want i have one complete with harness and brainbox for $1000.

WarriorPoet
Street 2NR

Postby WarriorPoet » March 13th, 2006, 9:15 pm

FWD from a bluebird
dont think that would work
wish it would LOL
might save me the trouble

krack korn
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby krack korn » March 13th, 2006, 9:35 pm

The tranny case can be welded, that is no issue. It will actually be stronger afterwards if u carry it by a real welder. Look out for 'bird sh!t' welding, yes u can get that on aluminum too. Welding is done in the US to gearboxes that haven't been cracked yet to strenghten them. New model G/B don't have this problem.

Wheel hop, amazingly enough, is when the wheel 'hops' on power puloffs. U see it all the time in vehicles where a half assed swap is done, big hp engine, no modifications to suspension and brakes. It is an indication that ur suspension is too soft for the camels under the hood, stiffer springs and higher damping shocks are required, possibly stiffer stabiliser bars as well.

WarriorPoet
Street 2NR

Postby WarriorPoet » March 13th, 2006, 10:07 pm

hmmmmmm
well i have a sonata originally came with a 4Jcp engine I think 2.0
so i didnt think it would be a massive issue to put an SR into it same displacemnt
just a more powerful engine

hmmmm stiffer springs....

GA16
Sweet on this forum

Postby GA16 » March 14th, 2006, 8:12 am

Also this is what I found out from a tranny repair man as well, sometimes if your axels are not in the best of shape, especially the inner axels, they can cause so much vibration that minor cracks are known to happen, (this is what he observed) it is especially intensified if your foot is heavy on the gas. And since the tranny is the first thing connected to the axels, it takes most of the "strain" and thus starts developing the cracks from there.

Keemy
Riding on 13's

Re: SR20 Tranny

Postby Keemy » October 16th, 2016, 3:36 pm

i have a sr20 transmission, when my car is cold i get to reverse but when the car is warmed up the reverse gear goes until the car cools right down ...a mechanic told me to buy a almera tranny and he can exchange the guts from it and put it back into my bell housing ...can anyone tell me if it can work or anything i can do to get back my reverse gear the cheapest way possible thanks !

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”