TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Motorcycle Riders

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

suspeck
Street 2NR

Motorcycle Riders

Postby suspeck » January 18th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Whappnin guys and gals.I just want to use this thread as a tool to gain as well as to share knowledge about dangers while riding.Apart from inconsiderate cagers on the roads, what other dangers have you ever encountered while riding? Bad roads, weather conditions, animals, pedestrians, even strange things cagers might do that put you in a dangerous situation.....etc. Just some things to help fellow bikers be safe on the roads.
Ride safe bros.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 18th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Group riders:
when riding in groups, like Sunday cruises, for example, local riders seldom space themselves properly to facilitate cars that wish to overtake. Riders should not cruise in a 'pack'. It forces impatient drivers to pass everyone, rather than a few at a time.

Following Distance:
Especially at night, on two lane roads, riders are often too close to the car in front of them. It reduces their effective scanning range. Also, and I have seen this happen, if a rider is between two cars, an overtaking car can mistake the rider's space for a 'gap' to cut back in, resulting in an overtaking car cutting in on a rider..........by leaving a long gap behind the car you are following, it is more likely to be seen, and gives the overtaking driver room to cut back in without slapping you into the ditch

Headlights:
Not all riders use their headlights during the day. This is just stupid

Turn signals:
Few riders I've seen use their turn signals....again, just stupid

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 18th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Hey MG Man, you ever had to deal with some manji pothong running you down on the road? How you deal with tha kinda scenario?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 18th, 2009, 10:12 pm

I don't ride a motorcycle (yet)
My comments are from experience sharing the road with motorcyclists and reading up on bike safety
I guess if a pothong chasin u down, u cud crack the throttle and scare the crap outta him

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 19th, 2009, 10:09 am

to add to MG Man about the gap, it also helps if the rider keeps a little closer to the line, rather than riding in the center of the lane......if a vehicle is behind you, drivers behind that vehicle may see you easier..........but not too close to the line either.......

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 19th, 2009, 10:16 am

cacasplat3 wrote:to add to MG Man about the gap, it also helps if the rider keeps a little closer to the line, rather than riding in the center of the lane......if a vehicle is behind you, drivers behind that vehicle may see you easier..........but not too close to the line either.......

Yes thats definitely a good tactic for safe riding.Its called the blocking position and deters cagers from cutting in your lane and trying to force you out.
Mirror checks and shoulder checks should be done regularly.
and looking ahead to spot anything that might be a hazard.
I tend to ride with a tinted visor so that the sunlight is not really too much of a problem.The biggest problem is dogs running out.Sometimes i diz wanna knock down the fawkers but dont wanna die while doin it.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 19th, 2009, 11:19 am

Not related to topic....but...I need to get insurance to purchase a bike...any suggestions???

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 19th, 2009, 11:24 am

ek4ever wrote:Not related to topic....but...I need to get insurance to purchase a bike...any suggestions???

What kinda bike you looking to get?SS or cruiser or streetfighter or sport touring? I suggest you start small if you never ride a bike before. Insurance gonna be cheap and you're less likely to injure yourself.Once you feel confident on the small bike, move up to something bigger.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm

suspeck wrote:
ek4ever wrote:Not related to topic....but...I need to get insurance to purchase a bike...any suggestions???

What kinda bike you looking to get?SS or cruiser or streetfighter or sport touring? I suggest you start small if you never ride a bike before. Insurance gonna be cheap and you're less likely to injure yourself.Once you feel confident on the small bike, move up to something bigger.

Thanks suspeck....I'm getting a 2005 Honda CBR600 RR....my friends suggested the 600 as a good starting bike...they all started on 600s and some have moved on to liter bikes

Is there any insurance agency that I would get through more easily? I've been with GGI/NemWil for 18 yrs now

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 20th, 2009, 10:44 am

well if you have a good history with a company its worth a shot with them....i know a guy with Maritime, but he has a few cars, house and medical insurance with them......so he was able to get it due to the long relationship with the company.......

if that fails....well Motor and General i think its.........thats what most bikes are with now...... :|

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 20th, 2009, 11:33 am

thanks cacasplat3......think I'm getting through with GGI...if not I'll try M&G

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 22nd, 2009, 8:42 am

[/quote]Thanks suspeck....I'm getting a 2005 Honda CBR600 RR....my friends suggested the 600 as a good starting bike...they all started on 600s and some have moved on to liter bikes

Is there any insurance agency that I would get through more easily? I've been with GGI/NemWil for 18 yrs now[/quote]

Sorry bout the late reply.You can try colfire to insure the bike.
The 600RR you say.Tell me you're planning to take some lessons first.If not, just be careful and ride safe.
How much you getting tha bike for?

honda hoe
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Motorcycle Riders

Postby honda hoe » January 22nd, 2009, 10:28 am

suspeck wrote:Whappnin guys and gals.I just want to use this thread as a tool to gain as well as to share knowledge about dangers while riding.Apart from inconsiderate cagers on the roads, what other dangers have you ever encountered while riding? Bad roads, weather conditions, animals, pedestrians, even strange things cagers might do that put you in a dangerous situation.....etc. Just some things to help fellow bikers be safe on the roads.
Ride safe bros.

whats a cager?

suspeck
Street 2NR

Re: Motorcycle Riders

Postby suspeck » January 22nd, 2009, 11:11 am

honda hoe wrote:whats a cager?

Lol.
A term used to describe somebody driving a car since the car is like a big metal cage around the driver.
:D

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 11:52 am

suspeck....no probs man....got through with insurance from GGI..so all's well and good. Transferred bike yesterday so it's now sitting in my garage....thing looks mean....sitting on it I can see why people get addicted to these machines

Definitely gonna be practicing on it before I even think of going on the main roads with it...some nice streets by me with almost no traffic to practice on...dead-ends and such and flat..one or two small hills

Paid 35K for it...bike in pristine condition with Yoshimura exhaust, new chain, fluids, oil filter, K&N air filter, clear side indicator lights....and the guy threw in jacket and helmet

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 12:13 pm

not advisable to wear a used helmet....most helmets usually start to mold around your face, so for another person to use it after it doesnt fit as it is supposed to, in addition you dont know the history of the helmet.......you are supposed to replace a helmet after an impact, and that impact could be as simple as dropping it on the floor..........
oh yea get a good pair of gloves, something with leather, will save you lots of pain if u ever go down.
try practicing slow turns, cuz it gets a bit difficult to control the clutch and throttle when they are at varied distances from your body.

is the exhaust a slip on?(the original headders still there) or is it a full system? from what i've been reading simple things like slip on's and higher flowing filters can throw off the AF ratio to a point where the stock map isnt able to correct it........might be a good idea to put it on a dyno and check its AF ratio.
post up a pic lets see it... :mrgreen:

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 12:15 pm

oh yea another tip......
wear your helmet, dont rest it on your head with your entire face and sides of your head exposed.........its not going to help you if you go down with it like that. saw a guy riding an R1 in traffic yesterday like that...... :|

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 12:24 pm

cacaspat3...thanks for the heads up....will check the helmet for fit and see if there's any damage....I'll ask my friends to look at it....they've been riding for years...fully intend to get the required protective gear.....any thoughts on the knee pads??? Some riders I've spoken to say it feels or actually restricts their movement

As for the exhaust...the original headers are still there...I think it's attached to where the header pipes converge....the collector....I'll check this out tonight

Will post up pics over the weekend

And yeah....it's usually the maneuvering at low speeds which can be the most difficult

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 12:25 pm

cacasplat3 wrote:oh yea another tip......
wear your helmet, dont rest it on your head with your entire face and sides of your head exposed.........its not going to help you if you go down with it like that. saw a guy riding an R1 in traffic yesterday like that...... :|

Thought ppl just did that to cool off their head when at a stop....never saw someone riding like that :shock:

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 22nd, 2009, 12:44 pm

ek4ever wrote:any thoughts on the knee pads??? Some riders I've spoken to say it feels or actually restricts their movement

I'm not sure if you referring to knee pucks or some other knee pads.The pucks are intended for circuit track use in order to drag knees and still have a knee. For street riding they're arent necessary.
As far as protective gear goes, try as much as possible to keep your body covered. Road rash is a hell of a thing. Full jeans,full jacket with approved protective padding(not vests),gloves that cover your wrists,boots that cover your ankle,and of course helmet.
Used helmets are dangerous.Age as well as any little impact affects the integrity of the helmet and remember its your safety thats compromised.
IMO the best bang for buck helmets are HJC...but i will have to tell you bout it later.Hadda go dey bro

Congrats on the bike btw.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 12:53 pm

i dont know a lot of ppl who use knee pads.......

check out http://www.alpinestars.com they make some of the best gear but i dont think they make knee pads for road and race riding....

is your jacket leather or mesh? mesh isnt really suitable for road riding....if you go down in it, it melts and then burns itself into your skin :shock: better to sweat than bleed......

oh yea try to get a back protector as well...something like this...:

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 12:55 pm

suspeck...thanks man.....great safety advice...don't intend to take my personal safety lightly at all. Could you suggest where's the best place to buy gear...appreciate it.

BTW...biker from south...Gerard I think....has a bike ride heading down Granville on the 24th...in case you're interested. Assembling at KFC Gulf City at 1pm. You could call 320-4764 for more info

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 12:58 pm

cacasplat3....oh so that's what that is...saw a guy wearing one. What do you suggest other than mesh. Haven't really looked at the jacket but the thing is damned heavy....outer surface feels like mesh though...but it's seriously thick

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 1:01 pm

oh yea i forgot about boots......as suspeck said ankle protection is very important........., get something tall, dont ride in a converse or a running shoes.......or tims......tims give almost no ankle protection....riding boots are made to prevent your foot from twisting in awkward positions, tims arent............. :mrgreen:

DF1_2nR
Trinituner Peong

Postby DF1_2nR » January 22nd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Good to see safety discussion taking place wrt motorcycles.

I fed up see men riding in vest and short pants.

They probably think skin grafts cheap.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 2:10 pm

ek4ever wrote:cacasplat3....oh so that's what that is...saw a guy wearing one. What do you suggest other than mesh. Haven't really looked at the jacket but the thing is damned heavy....outer surface feels like mesh though...but it's seriously thick

the thickness is usually some sort of padding to help with the impact of hitting the ground, but the resistance to abrasion is not soo good. but i still say leather hands down.......you can get some with perforation for ventilation....you just have to look through the online sites.... ....my advice: spend the money and get one of the brand name ones....you may think leather is leather.....but the stitching sets the cheap ones apart from the brand names....the cheap ones will tear open and expose your skin if you slide.......check Dainese, Icon, Joe Rocket and Alpinestars.......
it might be cheaper for you to have an online store send one to a skybox and then you pay customs duty on it.......that way you get exactly what you want, and not whats available locally.
and most manufacturers are quite keen to help on proper sizing.........new jackets almost never fit well cuz they need to be broken in.

the back protector is to help disperse impact forces and to prevent your back bending backwards if you fall and roll........worth every last cent IMO
some offer kidney and chest protection as well

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 22nd, 2009, 2:28 pm

hope when I'm done with all the safety gear I can get on and ride the damn thing :mrgreen:

Well so far I'm thinking the helmet, jacket, boots and back protector

DF12nr....don't know how any1 could think of riding one of these bikes without thinking of personal safety....but it seems the majority of riders do think safety...when I went to transfer the bike the previous owner made sure to tell me...."before you go out no matter how short the distance gear up properly first...doh matter if yuh just reaching the corner palour"...actually he had on what looked like a combined chest/back protector, boots, gloves, helmet and jacket

BTW....some nice gear on the site cacasplat3

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 2:39 pm

dont forget the gloves........

thing is mesh is not bad, but leather is better. if i'm buying jackets i'll make sure to have both mesh and leather....the mesh is better for cruising and just the odd short run, but the leather is ideal for when the risk of falling is higher.....long runs, highway, night riding etc.

for the helmet...the HJC does meet the requirements for DOT, but they are significantly heavier than most of the more expensive ones....i've tried on an HJC and a SHOEI and he SHOEI is a lot lighter......

suspeck
Street 2NR

Postby suspeck » January 22nd, 2009, 2:39 pm

ek4ever wrote:suspeck...thanks man.....great safety advice...don't intend to take my personal safety lightly at all. Could you suggest where's the best place to buy gear...appreciate it.

BTW...biker from south...Gerard I think....has a bike ride heading down Granville on the 24th...in case you're interested. Assembling at KFC Gulf City at 1pm. You could call 320-4764 for more info

No clue where sells gear locally.I got all my stuff from abroad.
Group rides i try to avoid as much as possible.Takes more concentration on the part of each rider and if one rider fails to do so,things can go horribly wrong.So i try to avoid the added risk.lol.

So back to the helmets.HJC helmets give you the best bang for your buck.Then i'd have to say Shark helmets.
Arai, Shoei,Suomy,AGV are some of the more expensive brands but they have added comfort and offer better protection.
Personally i dont like Icon,Vega,GMAX helmets.They noisy,and the fitting is poor.

You dont need to buy back protectors or any extra padding if you get a proper jacket.Look for a leather jacket with all CE approved padding.Leather holds up a lot better than textile on asphalt in case you end up going down.If you're on a budget however, the textile jackets would be fine enough.

For jackets,gloves and pants, theres Alpinestars and Dainese as cacasplat3 mentioned, Icon and Joe Rocket.I like Joe rocket stuff the most since their prices are reasonable and they have some wicked styles.You dont really need the pants though.Full length jeans should be fine and offer ample protection.

As for footwear sneakers aren't recommended since they offer very little protection.Tims are okay IMO. The actual work boots not the pretty looking ones that fold down.You just need to have the laces done all the way to the top.

Let me know if i can help out or clarify anything.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » January 22nd, 2009, 2:46 pm

dont forget the gloves........

thing is mesh is not bad, but leather is better. if i'm buying jackets i'll make sure to have both mesh and leather....the mesh is better for cruising and just the odd short run, but the leather is ideal for when the risk of falling is higher.....long runs, highway, night riding etc.
and X2 for the CE protectors in the jacket....a lot of the Alpinestars jackets have those now....

for the helmet...the HJC does meet the requirements for DOT, but they are significantly heavier than most of the more expensive ones....i've tried on an HJC and a SHOEI and he SHOEI is a lot lighter..........thats why i'd go SHOEI, Arai and AGV are out of the question cuz of the prcice :shock: and i found a lot of ppl find the Shoei is less noisy than the more expensive Arai....never tried on a Shark though.......

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”