TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Motorcycle Riders

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Motorcycle Riders

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2015, 4:25 am

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » May 28th, 2015, 1:55 pm

final race of the day....almost all of the riders on the track.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » May 29th, 2015, 9:09 am

Great to see girls active in the sport!

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » June 12th, 2015, 11:05 am

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » June 12th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Where sells gear-gloves/vest locally?

Alpinestar/icon etc....

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » June 12th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » June 14th, 2015, 1:22 pm

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » June 14th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Anybody goin Carapchima??

kdere
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kdere » June 14th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Team heading down after 4

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » June 14th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hope d weather hold out. Lastnight it was kinda bad...

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 15th, 2015, 3:40 am

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » June 15th, 2015, 8:47 am

constant mesh dog engagement.....which is why clutch less shifting does not harm anything as long as you are off the throttle....
clutch use for me is for pulling off, stopping, low speed/granny shifting and going through tight turns where i don't want to dowshift, but still keep the revs up...if i'm riding hard its all clutchless...

kdere
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kdere » June 15th, 2015, 8:57 am

cacasplat3 wrote:clutch use for me is for pulling off, stopping, low speed/granny shifting and going through tight turns where i don't want to dowshift, but still keep the revs up...if i'm riding hard its all clutchless...
same here. I learned to downshift in my corners also. My back doesn't bother me in the least. Same with tire slippage while cornering fast. Get it a lot when using sport touring tires. As a everyday rider can't always afford soft compound fully sport tires that would eat way quickly.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 15th, 2015, 9:30 am

cacasplat3 wrote:constant mesh dog engagement.....which is why clutch less shifting does not harm anything as long as you are off the throttle....
clutch use for me is for pulling off, stopping, low speed/granny shifting and going through tight turns where i don't want to dowshift, but still keep the revs up...if i'm riding hard its all clutchless...

Well look at that... will try it tomorrow when I ride next.. I always shift with the clutch pulled in..

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 15th, 2015, 10:13 am

I normally flick the clutch while shifting. Best of both worlds. Just as quick as clutchless but almost as smooth as granny shifting.

When you say you come off of the clutch, do you mean you come completely off? I normally blip the throttle while quick-shifting to rev match.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 15th, 2015, 10:22 am

I rev match on down shifts and generally granny shift on upshifts (keeping the clutch re-engagement as smooth as possible). Have never tried clutchless shifting to date and always fully clutch in for each shift.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 15th, 2015, 10:29 am

I would say practice the quickshifting and blipping the throttle to rev match as well. If done properly you should get you bike to behave like it has an automatic transmission. Plus it's lots of fun. What kind of bike do you ride btw?

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 15th, 2015, 10:33 am

Since I started riding this year I've gotten pretty good at handling the MC under daily riding conditions, hill starts, heavy traffic etc doesn't bother me at all now.. my only gripe is I an still afraid to 'push it' in the corners.. I had a few minor skids on wet roads & one huge skid on gravel in a corner and that has put me back from trying to lean further while turning.. I still have like a 3/4" of chicken strips on my rear tyres.

I am more afraid of road conditions that my ability I believe..

I have a Honda Shadow 750, my 1st bike. The only other MC I have ridden to date is a VTX1800 :-D :-D Man that was one sweet machine!

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » June 16th, 2015, 12:46 pm

^^^Talk about hitting the nail on the head... you are so on point here with that comment Fazeer.
I have seen too many brothers strung up at the hospitals and peaceful in caskets because of that same chicken strip chain up talk.... at one point i myself was an advocate of it...examining men back tyres after a maracas run etc.... trust me, total BS. Ride your bike as safe as you can bro.
You can practice your cornering but do it for the right reasons and remember that you are not the only road user... that beautiful swooping corner that's just screaming for you to take advantage of may just have some fool on 4 wheels pelting coming from the other end, crossing the white line onto your side because he/she thinks its the shorter route to the exit and that they can 'wing' it if another vehicle appears.... you usually end up on the shitty end of the stick in situations like that.....

Fazeer
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Fazeer » June 16th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Made a mistake n removed the comment yes..[SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY]

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 16th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Yup. I would admit I take that chicken strip chain up talk so I don't have chicken strips anymore but even that is misleading. It's easy to get rid of your chicken strips by leaning the bike while you stay up straight whereas if you coming off the bike (like you are supposed to do with a street bike) you would turn sharper and faster and still have larger chicken strips.

My rule of thumb is I don not ride fast than I can stop. And I must be able to stop in one car length (one car length being the length of a car plus the average distance between cars). So when the road clear I crossing 200 but in morning traffic I not crossing 60.

I also have some bad experiences with rain (lost traction in my front wheel and fell just last week on the highway) so once rain comes out I ride extremely slow and let everyone I riding with know I will meet them wherever we going. I know the ability of my bike tires in the wet and that is what I ride for when it rains.

kdere
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kdere » June 16th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Chicken strips don't mean anything . You can lose you chicken strips the day you change your tire, every time you do. Its not hard. Nothing is wrong wit having chicken strips. But I can't stand to see square tires of a man who doesn't lean at all doh. I know men who ride for image and their tires are as square as can be because they care more about looking cool than actually riding their machine.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » June 16th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I heard rumours of a man that gave up completely and put a sumatumo car tire on his rear wheel.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 17th, 2015, 1:24 am

Every time I meet a biker (total of 2 occasions in all! lol) they always have to watch my back tyre and mention chicken strips.. It kinda annoys me but I really value my safety more than anything.. I did lean over quite a bit once and it felt great! but I just never get clear enough roads or ideal enough conditions to continue practicing.. I probably watched the Twist of the Wrist 2 video about 10 times now and studied the lessons taught by Keith Code.

Whenever I am followed by a car (friend or family), the driver would usually tell me they find I can ride pretty 'fast' and I seem to take corners well enough in their opinion. I do lean in corners, but never more than necessary and that's only for safety reasons.. and I reallllly love my Honda!! would cuss for days if I ever crash it..

Slartibartfast wrote:I also have some bad experiences with rain (lost traction in my front wheel and fell just last week on the highway)

Willing to give some more details? Just for knowledge sake.. Did you hit standing water? Release the throttle or braked heavily during the skid? Speed? Hope you walked out of it in one piece though..

Maybe some day I will meet up with other riders for a group ride.. but these days I running solo..

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 17th, 2015, 1:34 am

Just bought this btw..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-ss1700-solid-speed-modular-helmet

Speed and Strength SS1700 Modular Helmet

Cost me $193USD, is a modular helmet that meets the ECE 22-05 European standards & has a built in sun shade.. bright sunlight really hurts my eyes. It was a tough choice between that and the Shoei Qwest (touring helmet) at $350USD. I really liked the look of the Shoei and it was Snell M2010 certified, but the lack of a sun shade & higher cost is what made me decide on the Speed and Strength in the end..

Currently I'm using a hand me down Chinese helmet.. and figured that wasn't the best, especially after watching the video Ruff posted earlier.. and some other helmet safety vids on Youtube..

The only thing to get now to complete my safety gear is a decent riding pants or jeans. What protective gear do you guys use when out on the road? or are you a short pants and juzzy kinda rider? lol

Fazeer
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Fazeer » June 17th, 2015, 5:41 am

Next question...

Whats your tyre preference?

I currently have the pilot power 2ct...never had a slip before but im considering the Q3's as my next buy...

I ride with full gear everytime i step out..i need a riding pants as well and looking towards a kevlar jeans..

kdere
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kdere » June 17th, 2015, 6:01 am

Lol. I have gears but quite honestly, I'm a short pants a juzzy rider most of the time. Long extended rides like Toco, siparia etc I will jacket down or when training. Its personal choice, nothing to do with ignorance because I know the consequences. I've been in my share of crashes and touch downs. Just not a gears person, except for gloves. I also have on some 2cts right now. Really good tires when heated up. You can power out with them when going low and no slippage. I prefer sport touring rather than full sport because of the lifespan. Some of these second hand sport tires you get 5 highway run and 2 burn out from them and you're done.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » June 17th, 2015, 6:19 am

I did the short pants and juzzy thing once on the highway.. not me and that again! bugs / debris thrown up by cars hit you hard!! For short around the town runs, I don't fully gear up.. otherwise, is full gear when heading to work and back etc.

Currently running Michelin commander IIs for their long life.. but I might consider the Pilot Road 4s for it's better wet weather performance next rounds..

kdere
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kdere » June 17th, 2015, 6:26 am

Lol. Its not for everybody. I've gotten accustom. Could hit a cool 240-260 in my shorts pants and jersey easily. In the night its cold as hell doh.

Keyser Soze
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Keyser Soze » June 17th, 2015, 6:36 am

Have either of you guys above hit the tarmac at anything over 60kmh? Shorts and tees would go straight outta your head if you saw what the road gives you when you don't have proper gears on...

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”