TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
agent007
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 2nd, 2020, 9:26 pm

Pipser,

If you're going sedan, mazda 3 all the way. The Cerato is nonsense next to that.

If you're going CUV, Vitara over Seltos anyday. 7 airbags vs 2 for the latter. The Seltos looks like a teenager LED'd up his mother's bread toaster. Horrible third world version to the Seltos that sells in the NA market!

Why not consider the Subaru XV? It has standard AWD and 8.7" of ground clearance which is best in class even against the larger crossovers too. With all this flood, traffic, bad roads and police timing, the 1.6 wouldn't be all that bad and the price was $219k a few days ago.

Zando,

Nope, no mazda 3 comes with the BOSE locally. It's a hard luck dey for that. If you want a Mazda-Bose combo, head for the 6 or the CX5.

User avatar
aaron17
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2284
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby aaron17 » November 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am

Did Mazda fixed the recall with them spiders? Or they eh bother?

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 26282
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 4th, 2020, 3:25 pm

2021 Raj lux at M.Rampersad....375k

User avatar
agent007
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 5th, 2020, 10:09 am

In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

pipser
Street 2NR
Posts: 31
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby pipser » November 5th, 2020, 11:02 am

So I finally got to see (not test drive) the Seltos yesterday and I came away with mixed feelings. Its definitely not as nice on the inside as the NA versions that you would see being reviewed on Youtube, externally they look the same. In terms of ground clearance and interior space its good but there are some things that it lacks especially at the 235k price point. Plus there is like a 3 month wait for them at the moment!

I didn't consider the XV because despite getting the height and the AWD I feel like Vitara was giving more value for money at the 220k price.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 3 and the wife is leaning towards the Seltos :roll:

User avatar
limegreen
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 152
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby limegreen » November 5th, 2020, 11:08 am

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.



Honestly I think this is the reality in almost all markets except the US. In the US lease penetration is high and it is subsidized by the OEM.

So it’s sad but it’s just reality at this point.

User avatar
scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1799
Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 4:21 pm
Location: Point Of No Return
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » November 5th, 2020, 2:01 pm

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

Lmaoo ent?? And I don think ppl realize that when the subsidies off for diesel next year, it’ll be the same price as the others, if not more.

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 26282
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 5th, 2020, 2:55 pm

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.


Some pics
Attachments
IMG-20201104-WA0054.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0053.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0051.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0050.jpg

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 15802
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Dave » November 5th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Ip looks busy!

andypos
Riding on 13's
Posts: 2
Joined: November 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby andypos » November 8th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Hey guys,

Wanted some advice. I am interesting in buying the new Mazda 3 EX model. In my eyes best in its class (wish it came with bigger engine tho) and was looking at getting it in Jan/Feb

What kind of price increase we looking at come Jan for the new Mazda's? Anyone got any feedback from dealerships regarding price increase?

Is it even worth it anymore?

User avatar
agent007
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 9th, 2020, 12:43 am

Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

ALady4ALady
Riding on 13's
Posts: 7
Joined: July 15th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby ALady4ALady » November 9th, 2020, 1:13 am

agent007 wrote:This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.


Good day: I appreciate that last line of advice. Everthing on the local market are "new" old designs (Xtrail, VX, HRV etc) or terrible versions of the models sold in other markets (Seltos). I was really looking forward to the newly released Tucson, Toyota Corolla Cross or the Suzuki Across but then with the announcement, it became evident that these may cost more than they're worth. Basically, I'll stick with my G. Vitara 07 for the while until I see something with both the safety kit and reliability that my money can buy.

andypos
Riding on 13's
Posts: 2
Joined: November 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby andypos » November 9th, 2020, 8:52 am

agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.


Very wise words. Sales Reps really do like to instill that fear into buyers. Believe it or not my ride is doing fantastic. I currently drive a Mazda 2 2016 with a family member interested in taking it of my hands. It would of been nice to own a newer vehicle but you're right these unstable times is really a sign of concern.

Right now we pay should a ridiculous amount for new cars and for it to go up again is just madness. Thanks for the broad advice tho! I think I will hold on into mid/late next year and see how the market and economy goes.

User avatar
limegreen
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 152
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby limegreen » November 9th, 2020, 10:24 am

Hey guys is there any data out there on the local auto market ? (transaction prices for new cars, MSRP and D/S inventory levels). Looking to get this info if possible... working on a project looking at US market dynamics (OEM driven directives on D/S and incentives) vs developing countries and how this distorts pricing.

Left my job in May 2020 (at an auto manufacturer) but still been lurking various forums to gain others’ perspectives and compare with what some of the data companies (like JD Power) put out.

User avatar
Capleton
Street 2NR
Posts: 83
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 11:38 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Capleton » November 9th, 2020, 10:30 am

limegreen wrote:Hey guys is there any data out there on the local auto market ? (transaction prices for new cars, MSRP and D/S inventory levels). Looking to get this info if possible... working on a project looking at US market dynamics (OEM driven directives on D/S and incentives) vs developing countries and how this distorts pricing.

Left my job in May 2020 (at an auto manufacturer) but still been lurking various forums to gain others’ perspectives and compare with what some of the data companies (like JD Power) put out.


Most dealerships rarely give out MSRP figures, much less to get access to their inventory levels. What I would say is that the US market is a whole different kettle of fish from what we have here in T&T.

User avatar
carluva
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1210
Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 2:03 pm
Location: Down in the homeland

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2020, 12:48 pm

I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.


agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

User avatar
limegreen
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 152
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby limegreen » November 9th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Capleton wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Most dealerships rarely give out MSRP figures, much less to get access to their inventory levels. What I would say is that the US market is a whole different kettle of fish from what we have here in T&T.



Oh ok thanks. I figured it would be buried somewhere nobody can see it.


Yeah unfortunately since consumers in the US are subsidized by the manufacturer, they take max margins from other markets. This may change in coming years tho ( long term).

User avatar
Joshie23
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1192
Joined: January 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Location: Southland.

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Joshie23 » November 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm

carluva wrote:I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.


agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.


This is what I come to 2NR for. Two very well put together pieces, gents.

I was actually discussing the drawbacks of a new vehicle the other day and thought of bringing it to this thread, but 1) we have plenty rankers that would view these thoughts as 'sufferer thoughts' and 2) it is the new vehicle thread after all. One of the issues was Pricing; I remember pricing the 4x4 Manual Ford Ranger 5 years ago @ $208k OTR. Today, that same Ranger is $275k..$310k for the automatic... :shock:
Another issue was safety features or the lack thereof, etc...two airbags in a family vehicle in 2020? Really?

Again, wonderful insight guys. New vehicles are only appealing these days because of the convenience (which some dealers take away due to their shitty after-sale service) and ease of access to financing. Loans for a local used require 50% down, with a much higher interest rate, for up to 5 years. Using the example of the Hilux, 50% of $200k is $100k. Some people might say if I have to have $100k down, I might as well go new..lower interest rate, longer terms, insurance included in your installment etc. I mean, you can walk into a firm and get same day, 100% financing for 8 years for a $300,000 depreciating 'asset'. Whether the same can be said for a business loan or even a piece of land of similar value, is for another discussion in another thread.

*cough*

User avatar
scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1799
Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 4:21 pm
Location: Point Of No Return
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » November 9th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
carluva wrote:I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.


agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.


This is what I come to 2NR for. Two very well put together pieces, gents.

I was actually discussing the drawbacks of a new vehicle the other day and thought of bringing it to this thread, but 1) we have plenty rankers that would view these thoughts as 'sufferer thoughts' and 2) it is the new vehicle thread after all. One of the issues was Pricing; I remember pricing the 4x4 Manual Ford Ranger 5 years ago @ $208k OTR. Today, that same Ranger is $275k..$310k for the automatic... :shock:
Another issue was safety features or the lack thereof, etc...two airbags in a family vehicle in 2020? Really?

Again, wonderful insight guys. New vehicles are only appealing these days because of the convenience (which some dealers take away due to their shitty after-sale service) and ease of access to financing. Loans for a local used require 50% down, with a much higher interest rate, for up to 5 years. Using the example of the Hilux, 50% of $200k is $100k. Some people might say if I have to have $100k down, I might as well go new..lower interest rate, longer terms, insurance included in your installment etc. I mean, you can walk into a firm and get same day, 100% financing for 8 years for a $300,000 depreciating 'asset'. Whether the same can be said for a business loan or even a piece of land of similar value, is for another discussion in another thread.

*cough*

Good info here Agent and Joshie

What about those who can afford a relatively new second hand vehicle. If I’m not mistaken, the limit for financing a second hand vehicle is one that is 10 years old? Older than that, crapaud smoke yuh pipe. I may be mistaken; please correct me if I am.

User avatar
Joshie23
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1192
Joined: January 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Location: Southland.

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Joshie23 » November 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm

scotty_buttons wrote:Good info here Agent and Joshie

What about those who can afford a relatively new second hand vehicle. If I’m not mistaken, the limit for financing a second hand vehicle is one that is 10 years old? Older than that, crapaud smoke yuh pipe. I may be mistaken; please correct me if I am.


carluva also had a great contribution here.

Wrt the age limit, most financial institutions go up to 5 or 6 years, iirc. Again, the 'trap' set by these institutions that make a new vehicle more enticing is the higher interest rate (6% vs. 3.99% new) and higher down payment (50% iirc vs. 0% new, once qualified) on a local used vehicle.

kamakazi
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2444
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby kamakazi » November 12th, 2020, 10:18 am

Would I buy used... Yes
Do I know what to look for when buying a used vehicle - Yes, but my lessons cost me in the beginning, in both time and money. The cost to bring the vehicle up to where it needed to be mechanically, that I was expecting. The inconvenience of time however, that one is actually the tougher one in my case. Had to change quite a lot and was lucky to avoid some even more costly repairs.

All Belts, all hoses, brakes, brake master cylinder, all shocks, all tyres, engine mounts, upper control arms, bushings, thermostat, filters, plugs, wires, etc.

I was fortunate enough to have another vehicle loaned to me for the time it was up on jackstands.

Not all vehicles will be in this state and some can be worse, but not everyone has the time to deal with these things.

Knowing the history of a vehicle is also worth a great deal to some
Used Fortuner or Prado over a New Rav 4, I will consider it.
However, used euro over new Jap, I'm taking the new Jap

carluva wrote:I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.


agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

User avatar
agent007
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 12th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Anyone has any feedback or general impressions on the Eclipse?

I saw a black edition today and admittedly, its polarizing looks makes it unique.
FB_IMG_1604675635951.jpeg

User avatar
aaron17
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2284
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby aaron17 » November 13th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I hate the back with a passion.. new one they fixed it.

kamakazi
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2444
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby kamakazi » November 13th, 2020, 3:39 pm

That pontiac aztec rear end

User avatar
scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1799
Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 4:21 pm
Location: Point Of No Return
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » November 13th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Agreed with above. Front is decent. Rear is wdmc.

Googling facelifted models now.

Anyone knows how the 1.5t engines faring so far?

Haven’t seen that much on the road

User avatar
Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 958
Joined: February 26th, 2008, 2:12 pm
Location: All bout d place...i probably lost!!!

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Pirate » November 13th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Update to the BMW X3 Pricing:
X3 sDrive20i (Base) - $555,000
X3 sDrive20i (Midspec) - $635,000
X3 sDrive20i (M Sport) - $675,000
You have to special order the XDrive models if you want one...
:|

User avatar
scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1799
Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 4:21 pm
Location: Point Of No Return
Contact:

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » November 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Pirate wrote:Update to the BMW X3 Pricing:
X3 sDrive20i (Base) - $555,000
X3 sDrive20i (Midspec) - $635,000
X3 sDrive20i (M Sport) - $675,000
You have to special order the XDrive models if you want one...
:|

Makes sense considering a 330i M sport is more than 600k.

*laughs in poor*

User avatar
A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6256
Joined: August 11th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby A172 » November 13th, 2020, 8:27 pm

one of the reps at lafast saw mine and said if they ever got that spec it would be over 700k

imagine what the new c class gonna cost next year :/

User avatar
agent007
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1717
Joined: November 19th, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » November 17th, 2020, 8:52 am

Currently, one bank has a new vehicle loan special with a rate of 3.99% and a term of up to 8 years and no down payment required.

So the 2 cheapest brand new cars right now is a toss between the Toyota Agya 1.0 and the Hyundai Atos 1.0 where both can be had for as little as $115k. Next contender is the Chevy Spark 1.4 currently priced at $120k.

So what this means is, for $1,402. a month for the next 8 years, you can walk away with a brand new Toyota in time for Christmas!

According to the 40% total debt service ratio rule, if your salary is as low as $3,600. monthly, then you are qualified (once you have no other loans of course) and can produce 2 forms of valid ID, a job letter showing that you’re permanently employed for a min. of 2 years), a recent pay slip and a utility bill in your name.

User avatar
j.o.e
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5209
Joined: October 5th, 2008, 8:56 pm
Location: On tuner

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby j.o.e » November 17th, 2020, 10:07 am

agent007 wrote:Currently, one bank has a new vehicle loan special with a rate of 3.99% and a term of up to 8 years and no down payment required.

So the 2 cheapest brand new cars right now is a toss between the Toyota Agya 1.0 and the Hyundai Atos 1.0 where both can be had for as little as $115k. Next contender is the Chevy Spark 1.4 currently priced at $120k.

So what this means is, for $1,402. a month for the next 8 years, you can walk away with a brand new Toyota in time for Christmas!

According to the 40% total debt service ratio rule, if your salary is as low as $3,600. monthly, then you are qualified (once you have no other loans of course) and can produce 2 forms of valid ID, a job letter showing that you’re permanently employed for a min. of 2 years), a recent pay slip and a utility bill in your name.


Trinis have to much false pride to buy those small cars and will continue to buy more car than they need

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests