TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » November 5th, 2020, 2:01 pm

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

Lmaoo ent?? And I don think ppl realize that when the subsidies off for diesel next year, it’ll be the same price as the others, if not more.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 5th, 2020, 2:55 pm

agent007 wrote:In other words, by the time you add insurance, it’s a $400k vehicle. We’re definitely in the end of days.

Some pics
Attachments
IMG-20201104-WA0054.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0053.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0051.jpg
IMG-20201104-WA0050.jpg

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 5th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Ip looks busy!

andypos
Riding on 13's

Postby andypos » November 8th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Hey guys,

Wanted some advice. I am interesting in buying the new Mazda 3 EX model. In my eyes best in its class (wish it came with bigger engine tho) and was looking at getting it in Jan/Feb

What kind of price increase we looking at come Jan for the new Mazda's? Anyone got any feedback from dealerships regarding price increase?

Is it even worth it anymore?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 9th, 2020, 12:43 am

Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

ALady4ALady
Ricer

Postby ALady4ALady » November 9th, 2020, 1:13 am

agent007 wrote:This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

Good day: I appreciate that last line of advice. Everthing on the local market are "new" old designs (Xtrail, VX, HRV etc) or terrible versions of the models sold in other markets (Seltos). I was really looking forward to the newly released Tucson, Toyota Corolla Cross or the Suzuki Across but then with the announcement, it became evident that these may cost more than they're worth. Basically, I'll stick with my G. Vitara 07 for the while until I see something with both the safety kit and reliability that my money can buy.

andypos
Riding on 13's

Postby andypos » November 9th, 2020, 8:52 am

agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

Anyway, those mazda 3's are all 1.5. I am not aware of any price increase by way of adjustment to duty and mvt. The only concessional removal the Minister spoke about was in relation to hybrids. So the Prius C, Ioniq and Niro fall directly into that category. As for grey market imports, woe unto those who seek stuff like Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Vezel etc.

I think the mazda 3 will maintain its pricing structure for now. If SS sites forex woes then watch out....this wont be mazda alone, expect increases across the board.

This is the new car thread and whatnot but folks, listen up, if your ride is doing its job reliably and comfortably then keep it. Forget series and forget who driving what. Right now, things real tight and I won't recommend anyone buying a new car in these unstable times unless you absolutely have no other choice.

Very wise words. Sales Reps really do like to instill that fear into buyers. Believe it or not my ride is doing fantastic. I currently drive a Mazda 2 2016 with a family member interested in taking it of my hands. It would of been nice to own a newer vehicle but you're right these unstable times is really a sign of concern.

Right now we pay should a ridiculous amount for new cars and for it to go up again is just madness. Thanks for the broad advice tho! I think I will hold on into mid/late next year and see how the market and economy goes.

limegreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby limegreen » November 9th, 2020, 10:24 am

Hey guys is there any data out there on the local auto market ? (transaction prices for new cars, MSRP and D/S inventory levels). Looking to get this info if possible... working on a project looking at US market dynamics (OEM driven directives on D/S and incentives) vs developing countries and how this distorts pricing.

Left my job in May 2020 (at an auto manufacturer) but still been lurking various forums to gain others’ perspectives and compare with what some of the data companies (like JD Power) put out.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 9th, 2020, 10:30 am

limegreen wrote:Hey guys is there any data out there on the local auto market ? (transaction prices for new cars, MSRP and D/S inventory levels). Looking to get this info if possible... working on a project looking at US market dynamics (OEM driven directives on D/S and incentives) vs developing countries and how this distorts pricing.

Left my job in May 2020 (at an auto manufacturer) but still been lurking various forums to gain others’ perspectives and compare with what some of the data companies (like JD Power) put out.

Most dealerships rarely give out MSRP figures, much less to get access to their inventory levels. What I would say is that the US market is a whole different kettle of fish from what we have here in T&T.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2020, 12:48 pm

I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.

agent007 wrote:Andy, this seems to be the rhetoric spewed by dealers as of late. Create fear so that you buy now. It's always better to buy now rather than later. It's like the dealership calculated opportunity cost for you in advance where it's always better to sink yourself in a depreciating asset as opposed to keeping said cash in the bank.

limegreen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby limegreen » November 9th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Capleton wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Most dealerships rarely give out MSRP figures, much less to get access to their inventory levels. What I would say is that the US market is a whole different kettle of fish from what we have here in T&T.

Oh ok thanks. I figured it would be buried somewhere nobody can see it.

Yeah unfortunately since consumers in the US are subsidized by the manufacturer, they take max margins from other markets. This may change in coming years tho ( long term).

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » November 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm

carluva wrote:I second these comments whole heartedly.

The new vehicle market in T&T sucks and rather than options available being driven by the consumer/purchaser, consumers have no choice but to purchase the paltry models being sold. This coupled with the exorbitant taxes, the so-called drain on foreign exchange and the unreasonable markup makes buying a new vehicle such an absolutely poor value proposition.

Who would have thought that a van, something that is marketed as a work horse in other countries (such as Australia or South Africa) is being sold here for what were "luxury import" prices all but a few years ago. And the CNG technology is still being marketed heavily here in T&T despite it being outdated and phased out in many countries around the world. Not to mention the poor array of hybrids and lacking features (typically for all types of vehicles and not just hybrids) compared to the counterparts elsewhere in the world... T&T, like many other third world countries simply get the reject stock for many reasons, but majorly because we have no standards regarding vehicle quality, emissions control/regulations, road and highway safety and crash safety ratings. This contributes to the fact that in this day and age, there are vehicles that still come equipped with two airbags and minimalistic safety features (such as lane departure etc.). T&T is effectively a dumping ground for vehicle trash that cannot even enter other markets and yet these same vehicles are sold at top dollar thereby maximizing corporate profits and returns.

No more is this plainly obvious when you compare some of the "standard features" on new vehicles sold by the dealerships to the features available on these same vehicles brought in through the grey market. Dollar for dollar, a new vehicle from the grey market has loads more features that it's dealership counterpart.

Truth be told, if you are single and have a good, functional, reliable and well maintained vehicle, or have at least one of the same as a family vehicle (assuming that there is more than one vehicle in your family), there is absolutely no need to part with your hard earned cash to buy a new vehicle or worse, finance with a bank for a seven year loan. This makes absolutely no sense.

And while this is a new vehicle thread, if you really need to get a vehicle, start on the second hand market. You will not believe the options and deals there if you look and do so diligently. 3-4 year old NP300s and Hiluxes could be sourced for <$200k. 3-6 year old Family SUVs such as RAV4s and X-trails for under $250k. 6 year old seven seater SUVs such as Fortuners under $350k. You want something a bit more executive? Try a 6 year old Prado for under $475k. While there is the argument that "why spend so much on a second hand vehicle when I can get a new vehicle for the same price?", you cannot compare apples with grapes i.e. you cannot compare the second hand Prado to a new RAV4. A second hand NP300 or Hilux with the new engines for $250k is a much better value that the facelift version for $385k. I always look at the second hand market to get a feel for prices and what the market has to offer.

What a purchaser needs to do when exploring the second hand market is to temper expectations - the vehicle will have some kms on the odometer; the seats, steering and gear shifter may have some signs of wear; there may be some minor body imperfections; there is not going to be that new car smell etc. Once you prepared to accept that, then the second hand marlet really has a lot to offer.

So, for those recent poster who looking at a Mazda 3 or Kia Seltos, unless you really need a new vehicle or there is not another vehicle in the family that is not "up to mark", keep your money and save in these times. If you really must have a next vehicle, give the second hand market a chance... Like me a few years ago, you can snap up a good buy which can become a keeper.

This is what I come to 2NR for. Two very well put together pieces, gents.

I was actually discussing the drawbacks of a new vehicle the other day and thought of bringing it to this thread, but 1) we have plenty rankers that would view these thoughts as 'sufferer thoughts' and 2) it is the new vehicle thread after all. One of the issues was Pricing; I remember pricing the 4x4 Manual Ford Ranger 5 years ago @ $208k OTR. Today, that same Ranger is $275k..$310k for the automatic... :shock:
Another issue was safety features or the lack thereof, etc...two airbags in a family vehicle in 2020? Really?

Again, wonderful insight guys. New vehicles are only appealing these days because of the convenience (which some dealers take away due to their shitty after-sale service) and ease of access to financing. Loans for a local used require 50% down, with a much higher interest rate, for up to 5 years. Using the example of the Hilux, 50% of $200k is $100k. Some people might say if I have to have $100k down, I might as well go new..lower interest rate, longer terms, insurance included in your installment etc. I mean, you can walk into a firm and get same day, 100% financing for 8 years for a $300,000 depreciating 'asset'. Whether the same can be said for a business loan or even a piece of land of similar value, is for another discussion in another thread.

*cough*

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » November 9th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Joshie23 wrote:

This is what I come to 2NR for. Two very well put together pieces, gents.

I was actually discussing the drawbacks of a new vehicle the other day and thought of bringing it to this thread, but 1) we have plenty rankers that would view these thoughts as 'sufferer thoughts' and 2) it is the new vehicle thread after all. One of the issues was Pricing; I remember pricing the 4x4 Manual Ford Ranger 5 years ago @ $208k OTR. Today, that same Ranger is $275k..$310k for the automatic... :shock:
Another issue was safety features or the lack thereof, etc...two airbags in a family vehicle in 2020? Really?

Again, wonderful insight guys. New vehicles are only appealing these days because of the convenience (which some dealers take away due to their shitty after-sale service) and ease of access to financing. Loans for a local used require 50% down, with a much higher interest rate, for up to 5 years. Using the example of the Hilux, 50% of $200k is $100k. Some people might say if I have to have $100k down, I might as well go new..lower interest rate, longer terms, insurance included in your installment etc. I mean, you can walk into a firm and get same day, 100% financing for 8 years for a $300,000 depreciating 'asset'. Whether the same can be said for a business loan or even a piece of land of similar value, is for another discussion in another thread.

*cough*

Good info here Agent and Joshie

What about those who can afford a relatively new second hand vehicle. If I’m not mistaken, the limit for financing a second hand vehicle is one that is 10 years old? Older than that, crapaud smoke yuh pipe. I may be mistaken; please correct me if I am.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » November 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm

scotty_buttons wrote:Good info here Agent and Joshie

What about those who can afford a relatively new second hand vehicle. If I’m not mistaken, the limit for financing a second hand vehicle is one that is 10 years old? Older than that, crapaud smoke yuh pipe. I may be mistaken; please correct me if I am.

carluva also had a great contribution here.

Wrt the age limit, most financial institutions go up to 5 or 6 years, iirc. Again, the 'trap' set by these institutions that make a new vehicle more enticing is the higher interest rate (6% vs. 3.99% new) and higher down payment (50% iirc vs. 0% new, once qualified) on a local used vehicle.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 12th, 2020, 10:18 am

Would I buy used... Yes
Do I know what to look for when buying a used vehicle - Yes, but my lessons cost me in the beginning, in both time and money. The cost to bring the vehicle up to where it needed to be mechanically, that I was expecting. The inconvenience of time however, that one is actually the tougher one in my case. Had to change quite a lot and was lucky to avoid some even more costly repairs.

All Belts, all hoses, brakes, brake master cylinder, all shocks, all tyres, engine mounts, upper control arms, bushings, thermostat, filters, plugs, wires, etc.

I was fortunate enough to have another vehicle loaned to me for the time it was up on jackstands.

Not all vehicles will be in this state and some can be worse, but not everyone has the time to deal with these things.

Knowing the history of a vehicle is also worth a great deal to some
Used Fortuner or Prado over a New Rav 4, I will consider it.
However, used euro over new Jap, I'm taking the new Jap

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 12th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Anyone has any feedback or general impressions on the Eclipse?

I saw a black edition today and admittedly, its polarizing looks makes it unique.
FB_IMG_1604675635951.jpeg

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » November 13th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I hate the back with a passion.. new one they fixed it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 13th, 2020, 3:39 pm

That pontiac aztec rear end

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » November 13th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Agreed with above. Front is decent. Rear is wdmc.

Googling facelifted models now.

Anyone knows how the 1.5t engines faring so far?

Haven’t seen that much on the road

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » November 13th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Update to the BMW X3 Pricing:
X3 sDrive20i (Base) - $555,000
X3 sDrive20i (Midspec) - $635,000
X3 sDrive20i (M Sport) - $675,000
You have to special order the XDrive models if you want one...
:|

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » November 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Pirate wrote:Update to the BMW X3 Pricing:
X3 sDrive20i (Base) - $555,000
X3 sDrive20i (Midspec) - $635,000
X3 sDrive20i (M Sport) - $675,000
You have to special order the XDrive models if you want one...
:|

Makes sense considering a 330i M sport is more than 600k.

*laughs in poor*

A172

Postby A172 » November 13th, 2020, 8:27 pm

one of the reps at lafast saw mine and said if they ever got that spec it would be over 700k

imagine what the new c class gonna cost next year :/

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 17th, 2020, 8:52 am

Currently, one bank has a new vehicle loan special with a rate of 3.99% and a term of up to 8 years and no down payment required.

So the 2 cheapest brand new cars right now is a toss between the Toyota Agya 1.0 and the Hyundai Atos 1.0 where both can be had for as little as $115k. Next contender is the Chevy Spark 1.4 currently priced at $120k.

So what this means is, for $1,402. a month for the next 8 years, you can walk away with a brand new Toyota in time for Christmas!

According to the 40% total debt service ratio rule, if your salary is as low as $3,600. monthly, then you are qualified (once you have no other loans of course) and can produce 2 forms of valid ID, a job letter showing that you’re permanently employed for a min. of 2 years), a recent pay slip and a utility bill in your name.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » November 17th, 2020, 10:07 am

agent007 wrote:Currently, one bank has a new vehicle loan special with a rate of 3.99% and a term of up to 8 years and no down payment required.

So the 2 cheapest brand new cars right now is a toss between the Toyota Agya 1.0 and the Hyundai Atos 1.0 where both can be had for as little as $115k. Next contender is the Chevy Spark 1.4 currently priced at $120k.

So what this means is, for $1,402. a month for the next 8 years, you can walk away with a brand new Toyota in time for Christmas!

According to the 40% total debt service ratio rule, if your salary is as low as $3,600. monthly, then you are qualified (once you have no other loans of course) and can produce 2 forms of valid ID, a job letter showing that you’re permanently employed for a min. of 2 years), a recent pay slip and a utility bill in your name.

Trinis have to much false pride to buy those small cars and will continue to buy more car than they need

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 17th, 2020, 1:25 pm

j.o.e wrote:
agent007 wrote:Currently, one bank has a new vehicle loan special with a rate of 3.99% and a term of up to 8 years and no down payment required.

Trinis have to much false pride to buy those small cars and will continue to buy more car than they need

The Agya is probably the most basic out of the lot, the Atos actually has some little features like rear ac vents, reverse camera and parking sensors that come standard (but you still get steel wheels). The Spark for $5,000 more not that bad, you get 4 airbags, alloy wheels, android auto/apple carplay and about 20hp-30hp more.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » November 17th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Capleton wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

The Agya is probably the most basic out of the lot, the Atos actually has some little features like rear ac vents, reverse camera and parking sensors that come standard (but you still get steel wheels). The Spark for $5,000 more not that bad, you get 4 airbags, alloy wheels, android auto/apple carplay and about 20hp-30hp more.

That’s pretty impressive for the little Spark. I bet you don’t get half of those features with a Corolla.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » November 17th, 2020, 6:42 pm

^^ tbh I have always found TTTL to be lacking in features etc. when it comes to their vehicles compared to Honda and some others. That is why I have always passed them over despite the Toyota reputation for reliability.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 18th, 2020, 11:28 am

scotty_buttons wrote:
Capleton wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

That’s pretty impressive for the little Spark. I bet you don’t get half of those features with a Corolla.

One more car that borders on this "A-Mini" segment is the Suzuki DZire. The GL version starts from $125,000. It's basically a Swift in Sedan form. Same 1.2L engine, however, it gives up the CVT transmission for a very quirky AMT tranny. You can bang in gears minus a clutch pedal. Even when driving in auto mode you feel the gears engage and disengage like a manual tranny.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » November 18th, 2020, 11:55 am

Is it jerky or clunky like a DCT?

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » November 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Another price update for the front page:

Audi Q5 2.0LTFSI Comfort Package - $535,000

Audi Q5 2.0LTFSI Design Package - $580,000
The Design Package adds:
20" Rims, Ambient Lighting, Matrix LED Headlights, Rear Air bags, 3 Zone A/C, Bang & Olufsen Sound System among some other small additions.
Last edited by Pirate on November 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”