TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby kamakazi » September 26th, 2016, 8:55 pm

The average of 100hp in most of the options might be considered sluggish... But it isn't exactly slow as all are capable of going double the posted speed limit. Also with the sheer volume of vehicles on our road network with this Uber aggressive enforcement of speed limits... Where are you going with any sort of speed.
With regards to your original mention of being tall...I am not sure how much vehicles you will fit in comfortably... The lancer is pretty decent for tall persons but is a bit dated. Not sure how the new Elantra, Corolla or Cerato does for taller persons
Does the lancer still require premium fuel?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 26th, 2016, 9:11 pm

kamakazi wrote:The average of 100hp in most of the options might be considered sluggish... But it isn't exactly slow as all are capable of going double the posted speed limit. Also with the sheer volume of vehicles on our road network with this Uber aggressive enforcement of speed limits... Where are you going with any sort of speed.
With regards to your original mention of being tall...I am not sure how much vehicles you will fit in comfortably... The lancer is pretty decent for tall persons but is a bit dated. Not sure how the new Elantra, Corolla or Cerato does for taller persons

I think you are misunderstanding the term slow here ... Almost every car can get to 160 KPH ... Eventually. It not so much about top end speed.
Its how fast you get there and how much you get pushed back into your seat 8-) . There is also an element of top end power involved but that's making it too complicated.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 26th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Traffic light Grand Prix...

You can get into a lot of trouble with 100hp, a half decent chassis, OEM brakes and good tyres...

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 26th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Kamikazi which SUV you said you own again?

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » September 26th, 2016, 11:03 pm

drchaos wrote:
kamakazi wrote:The average of 100hp in most of the options might be considered sluggish... But it isn't exactly slow as all are capable of going double the posted speed limit. Also with the sheer volume of vehicles on our road network with this Uber aggressive enforcement of speed limits... Where are you going with any sort of speed.

I think you are misunderstanding the term slow here ... Almost every car can get to 160 KPH ... Eventually. It not so much about top end speed.
Its how fast you get there and how much you get pushed back into your seat 8-) . There is also an element of top end power involved but that's making it too complicated.

But he's talking about Econ cars bro :P none of them were made for that, can't expect to be thrown into the seat in any listed. They're all around the same power too :P

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 26th, 2016, 11:39 pm

baigan wrote:
drchaos wrote:

But he's talking about Econ cars bro :P none of them were made for that, can't expect to be thrown into the seat in any listed. They're all around the same power too :P

You eh hear the Jetta is 205 now :P 150 something HP in a econ car :lol:

baigan
Riding on 16's

New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby baigan » September 26th, 2016, 11:54 pm

drchaos wrote:
baigan wrote:
drchaos wrote:

You eh hear the Jetta is 205 now :P 150 something HP in a econ car :lol:

205hp? Hmmm that's actually not too bad for an Econ :P lol
I like where vw is going

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » September 27th, 2016, 12:14 am

Is about 150hp d man say. 205 is d price.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 27th, 2016, 12:19 am

My dd has 110hp and weighs 940kg (2072 lb) and is very economical and fun to drive and not too bad in traffic light grand prix in comparison to other econoboxes :lol:

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 12:31 am

aidan wrote:My dd has 110hp and weighs 940kg (2072 lb) and is very economical and fun to drive and not too bad in traffic light grand prix in comparison to other econoboxes :lol:

dd?

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 27th, 2016, 12:36 am

^^ah Daihatsu sirion sport

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » September 27th, 2016, 12:42 am

Pirate wrote:Is about 150hp d man say. 205 is d price.

lol oh sorry ha didn't realize .-.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby kamakazi » September 27th, 2016, 1:23 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Kamikazi which SUV you said you own again?

No SUV... 2.5 hilux.
Nice and slow....

All my previous vehicles would most likely lose the traffic light Grand Prix but I believe it is how you drive what you have that should excite.

Honestly the more power I have under my right foot is the more restraint I exercise.

One other thing I like to keep in mind is reliability. When you have a small displacement engine that puts up big numbers (well bigger than everyone else with the same displacement) the parts generally have to cope with more stress. Now when that vehicle is built by a brand that wants to compete in the budget category... That doesn't sit well with me. For that to happen some compromises have to be made (oversimplifying this as a lot more goes into it but it is an observation)
Also would like to mention that I am not taking a cheap shot at bunny or any other VDub owner... It is just that VW somehow managed to fall a bit short in terms of reliability.
Worth noting that while you have the potential to win the traffic light GP early on with the VW ...if and when the Mecha unit decide to call it quits...it isn't going to be winning races for a while

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 5:58 am

bestauto does not have much fleet customers especially for jettas however one such fleet owner complained that every one of them suffered problems from start to present. All these cars will probably end up on trinicarsforsale and they will sell way below the asking price.

For the guy who posted that his budget is 190k for a new car I hate to admit it but the Indian made Suzuki ciaz seems like a good deal considering the equipment levels you get for like $165k Only little drawback is, it has the swift 1.4 engine in it. If you really intend to keep the vehicle for ten years though I hope you get the Corolla, the higher of the 2 specs. Yes that Corolla has BT hands free and alloy rims as per your requirements plus it has 6 airbags and stability control. The 1.6 dual vvti engine is very smooth and fuel efficient very sufficient for a responsible daily driver. I know this may be a little over the budget but after 10 years u can still get over $70k for the car with a promise.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 7:04 am

kamakazi wrote:

No SUV... 2.5 hilux.
Nice and slow....

All my previous vehicles would most likely lose the traffic light Grand Prix but I believe it is how you drive what you have that should excite.

Honestly the more power I have under my right foot is the more restraint I exercise.

One other thing I like to keep in mind is reliability. When you have a small displacement engine that puts up big numbers (well bigger than everyone else with the same displacement) the parts generally have to cope with more stress. Now when that vehicle is built by a brand that wants to compete in the budget category... That doesn't sit well with me. For that to happen some compromises have to be made (oversimplifying this as a lot more goes into it but it is an observation)
Also would like to mention that I am not taking a cheap shot at bunny or any other VDub owner... It is just that VW somehow managed to fall a bit short in terms of reliability.
Worth noting that while you have the potential to win the traffic light GP early on with the VW ...if and when the Mecha unit decide to call it quits...it isn't going to be winning races for a while

About 6 weeks! :lol:

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 7:06 am

acesinghit wrote:bestauto does not have much fleet customers especially for jettas however one such fleet owner complained that every one of them suffered problems from start to present. All these cars will probably end up on trinicarsforsale and they will sell way below the asking price.

For the guy who posted that his budget is 190k for a new car I hate to admit it but the Indian made Suzuki ciaz seems like a good deal considering the equipment levels you get for like $165k Only little drawback is, it has the swift 1.4 engine in it. If you really intend to keep the vehicle for ten years though I hope you get the Corolla, the higher of the 2 specs. Yes that Corolla has BT hands free and alloy rims as per your requirements plus it has 6 airbags and stability control. The 1.6 dual vvti engine is very smooth and fuel efficient very sufficient for a responsible daily driver. I know this may be a little over the budget but after 10 years u can still get over $70k for the car with a promise.

I dunno bout those indian made cars ... Have not seen the build quality on the Ciaz but have seen Mahindra's and inspected a Creta and can't say I'm impressed at all.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » September 27th, 2016, 7:08 am

is hp really a major consideration when buying an econocar in Trinidad? lol

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 7:13 am

eliteauto wrote:is hp really a major consideration when buying an econocar in Trinidad? lol

I think hp is always a concern when looking to buy any vehicle. Many would like as much hp as they can get for their $, others want as much torque as well while not ignoring the other features available.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 7:17 am

kamakazi wrote:

No SUV... 2.5 hilux.
Nice and slow....

I must be mixing you up with some other poster who had a q5 or something.

Good points on reliability. I however would take my 5 weeks parked up though because the other econos don't drive the same way but that's me. It's like people telling me buy a car for resale even if it's boring to drive.

Maybe the new civic can offer the performance but with better reliability.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 7:36 am

the Creta has a funny scent unlike other new hyundais imo and the build quality not all that great I agree. The Versa is another Indian made car and that seems like a failure compared to the ciaz. If I had 190k to spend I'll eat my words and buy whatever grade Elantra I can get. To me, having the BT, aux, usb, airbags, abs, full power features, alloy rims, mud guards, rear parking sensors etc represents a descent equipment listing for the price. Push button start, power seat and sunroof etc is stuff I can live without especially a sunroof. I hardly see locals use that feature. Most times u see a sunroof equipped vehicle, the roof closed and driver enjoying ac. When it not raining we have blazing sun and besides the road is very dusty and breathing in diesel exhaust fumes from poorly maintained diesel vehicles is just another reason to have my glass up and ac pumping.
Last edited by acesinghit on September 27th, 2016, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 7:55 am

A Jetta is a boring car to look at and is boring to drive. Above average straight line speed does not mean fun and to me there is no fun in pushing your car in a straight line when your pistons and transmission cannot take the pressure and u will be using public transport for 5 weeks (it's actually more than this) and set yourself back a couple thousand dollars yet again. A 148hp lancer gt is a lot more fun and reliable like a Mazda 3 and civic. I don't expect a first time car owner to know much about what other cars feel like and what is fun to drive.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 27th, 2016, 8:06 am

Remember the man looking for a daily driver... In that case 100hp all the time is better than 150hp sometimes

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 8:09 am

Which is why I say Corolla or Mazda 3. I don't think anyone is telling him to seriously get a Jetta.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 8:17 am

acesinghit wrote:A Jetta is a boring car to look at and is boring to drive. Above average straight line speed does not mean fun and to me there is no fun in pushing your car in a straight line when your pistons and transmission cannot take the pressure and u will be using public transport for 5 weeks (it's actually more than this) and set yourself back a couple thousand dollars yet again. A 148hp lancer gt is a lot more fun and reliable like a Mazda 3 and civic. I don't expect a first time car owner to know much about what other cars feel like and what is fun to drive.

Clearly you have never taken the Jetta on a winding road ... The car has a nice suspension setup, multi-link with much less body roll than the other small sedans in that class, Its no manual but you have way more control over the transmission vs the competition which makes it more fun to drive. Lancer Suspension feels more wafty and floaty vs the Jetta (that's an older one I have driven for a few days). Does it have a multi-link? For sure the Lancer will be more reliable and the similar HP figures make it a compelling option.

Give the car its due ... it is more fun to drive even tho there are reliability problems.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 8:18 am

kamakazi wrote:Remember the man looking for a daily driver... In that case 100hp all the time is better than 150hp sometimes

Yeah not saying for him to buy the jetta ... Like i said above he should seriously consider the new Elantra.

warrenc_alexis
Street 2NR

Postby warrenc_alexis » September 27th, 2016, 10:51 am

I was chatting (whatsapp) with a massy rep getting info on the Elantra specs. It seems like I wouldn't want the entry level one that on sale right now so I may go next week and check out the mid spec for 199k. I think my wife likes the looks the Elantra, I prefer how the Sentra looks.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 11:06 am

Make sure you test drive the Mazda 3 and corolla as bunny and cinco suggested as well

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 11:11 am

I had a mk5 for 5 years. Sold it right after my last payment approx. a year ago. I have owned so much cars Ive lost track. There is no way it's sharper than the m3 and lancer. Sure the Jetta can take corners but it doesn't come close to any version of the mazda3. Perhaps alluh mk6 was much better but even those mag tests put the Jetta behind the pack. Best handling car I've ever owned was the 3 and lancer. So questions: does the mk6 have an irs? And is it lighter or heavier than the mk5? I know mine had the irs and meh sales rep tell me the mk6 is actually lighter. I know the updated pq35 has many permutations to it.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » September 27th, 2016, 11:17 am

warrenc_alexis wrote:I was chatting (whatsapp) with a massy rep getting info on the Elantra specs. It seems like I wouldn't want the entry level one that on sale right now so I may go next week and check out the mid spec for 199k. I think my wife likes the looks the Elantra, I prefer how the Sentra looks.

Oh if gas consumption is a factor Mazdas tend to be thirstier than their counterparts.
The Koreans are always a shoo in for new car buyers for the amount of bells and whistles you get for little money at the end of the day most new cars will take you 7 years without an issue.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 11:20 am

Warren, If you like the Sentra design then go for that but iirc the back seat does not fold down. It has a trunk pass thru mechanism via the center arm rest. Confirm with your sales rep. I know the foldable backseat was one of your criterias. Don't forget, choose a vehicle that is factory tuned for our super.

I know for a fact that these cars can take super: Cruze 1.8/1.6, Elantra 1.6, cerato 1.6, lancer 2.0.

Older m3's with the mzr z6v 1.6 took premium, lancer cy 1.5 and 1.6 require premium, hr16de in Tiida required premium (same engine in b17 Sentra). So check up on what fuel is acceptable now in these newer models unless yuh doh care lol.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”