TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby PariaMan » August 22nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

tropi_flakes wrote:Spotted a Hyundai Kona on D plates fully electric, had presence on the road
i wonder if it is from Massy?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 24th, 2019, 2:42 pm

The weird thing is the KONA and Ioniq electric are the same price in foreign markets.
I hope they dont try to buss higher price on us cause its a cross over.

tropi_flakes
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby tropi_flakes » August 25th, 2019, 3:15 pm

PariaMan wrote:
tropi_flakes wrote:Spotted a Hyundai Kona on D plates fully electric, had presence on the road
i wonder if it is from Massy?

From the way the driver was dressed it looked like them

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » August 26th, 2019, 1:57 am

drchaos wrote:The weird thing is the KONA and Ioniq electric are the same price in foreign markets.

This and the niro are actually supposed to be top notch but the production numbers are unable to keep up to demand internationally . We need more charging stations though but for a regular 9-5 working person the charging overnight should be just fine

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 26th, 2019, 2:04 am

Kenjo wrote:
drchaos wrote:The weird thing is the KONA and Ioniq electric are the same price in foreign markets.

This and the niro are actually supposed to be top notch but the production numbers are unable to keep up to demand internationally . We need more charging stations though but for a regular 9-5 working person the charging overnight should be just fine
cannot see much need for charging stations in a small island like trinidad once we have a range of about 400 km?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 26th, 2019, 3:52 am

Kenjo wrote:

What is the purpose of an ev. A hybrid I understand, but an ev doesn't make any sense to me

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 26th, 2019, 6:49 am

A hybrid no longer makes sense to me

Why have 2 systems?

Might as well go all the way to EV once thhe range is at least 300 km

With that the battery will just have to be topped of every night

Its a small island super chargers are only required for long trips which we do not have

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » August 26th, 2019, 7:33 am

I won’t say that. I have a hybrid and get over 900 km per tank. I would have preferred the electric however the range is too limited as on a day I may head to north outside of my normal work schedule. That would exceed the current range limits of say the Ioniq ev.
Perhaps when the charging network has improved it may be more feasible

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 26th, 2019, 8:17 am

Depends on you needs. For me an ev would be perfect since I work from home and when I go out in a day I do no more than 50 or 100 kms. Most of the time on the road is idling in traffic so that would have to be factored in where still 300/400 kms covers it. Of course someone on the road a lot and at various high traffic hours a hybrid may be better.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » August 26th, 2019, 8:41 am

All electric is the way to go. Electricity is cheap locally, no oil, plugs etc to change. Trinidad is small even north to south runs are easy to accomplish on nightly charge. Biggest issue would be availability of all electric options locally

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 26th, 2019, 8:53 am

PariaMan wrote:A hybrid no longer makes sense to me

Why have 2 systems?

Its a small island super chargers are only required for long trips which we do not have
To increase fuel efficiency; but it also adds another point of failure into the system.

While Trinidad is small, and Tobago smaller, an ev is the only vehicle in which you are range limited. It doesn't really allow for random events without careful consideration.

What are the benefits for having such a huge downside?

Serot
Street 2NR

Postby Serot » August 26th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Kenjo wrote:

As you mentioned charging stations, I was at Massy Morvant pretty recently looking at the Ioniq EV. I was told by a rep that the claim is that as more EVs hit the road they'll be looking into the infrastructure for charging stations throughout the country, possibly at the current Massy Stores locations.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » August 26th, 2019, 12:35 pm

kamakazi wrote:
PariaMan wrote:A hybrid no longer makes sense to me

Why have 2 systems?

To increase fuel efficiency; but it also adds another point of failure into the system.

While Trinidad is small, and Tobago smaller, an ev is the only vehicle in which you are range limited. It doesn't really allow for random events without careful consideration.

What are the benefits for having such a huge downside?

But under what situation will you drive until you have no charge? That’s no different to driving until you out of gas. It’s an eventuality but it’s one you can plan for and mitigate

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 26th, 2019, 1:12 pm

300 km if range will suit me just fine

480 km or 300 miles which is the range of some evs excepting the ioniq will surely not require rhe use of super chargers in Trinidad

In the states they only use the superchargers for long trips where you driving 8-9 hours

I do not care about super chargers once i get a long range ie 300 + km i will go EV

I will just charge at home

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 26th, 2019, 4:15 pm

@j.o.e
It is way different

So let's say you reach in POS, and for whatever reason you have to head down mayaro. Ten minutes in a gas station and I good for the journey and the return... And if not gas and keep going.

With an ev... You taking the first five minutes to calculate on Waze and your phone to see if you have energy to cover that distance. Even if there were charging stations you would then have to calculate or maybe have the vehicle calculate how long you should remain at said charging station.

Even if I running near to Empty.
10 minutes in a fuel station and I'm good.
Vs... Well we have no infrastructure to charge vehicles so that vehicle will be parked up charging for the next couple of hours.

Run out of fuel vs running out of charge... One trip to the gas station, buy a gallon of fuel and... Well I think you get the idea.

EVs just don't allow the convenience of topping up in a couple minutes. It restricts mobility.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » August 26th, 2019, 4:28 pm

It will take about 7 hours of driving to cover about 300km of range, this is about half the distance on highway and half on main roads, that's the equivalent of driving from couva to Diego to trincity to along the east coast to Mafeking and then down to cedros.

There are very few ppl who will cover that distance in one day, that's like ¾ tank of gas.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » August 27th, 2019, 4:52 pm

EV mileage is always quoted in the distance that you are able to travel but the time to travel that distance is not always equal.

Consider this, I am leaving Diego after work on a Friday evening to go Mayaro for the weekend. I leave home lets say 6 pm because I want to avoid some traffic but that drive still takes me roughly 3 hours because I am observing the speed limit and some of those roads are really bad so you have to take your time. I'm using the A/C, radio and lights plus carrying the extra weight of all we need for the weekend. Now the distance traveled in that 3 hours isn't 150 km but the car has been working for that length of time. I am now in Mayaro at my designated beach house where I now hope that the layout of the electrical is such that I can charge overnight but lets say for argument sake that isn't the case, when I am leaving now on Sunday to go back home I take another 3 hours to get there.

How many of you can say that you would not be worried about running out of juice on that drive back home even though you haven't traveled the estimated 300 km that the vehicle is rated to go?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm

pipser wrote:EV mileage is always quoted in the distance that you are able to travel but the time to travel that distance is not always equal.

Consider this, I am leaving Diego after work on a Friday evening to go Mayaro for the weekend. I leave home lets say 6 pm because I want to avoid some traffic but that drive still takes me roughly 3 hours because I am observing the speed limit and some of those roads are really bad so you have to take your time. I'm using the A/C, radio and lights plus carrying the extra weight of all we need for the weekend. Now the distance traveled in that 3 hours isn't 150 km but the car has been working for that length of time. I am now in Mayaro at my designated beach house where I now hope that the layout of the electrical is such that I can charge overnight but lets say for argument sake that isn't the case, when I am leaving now on Sunday to go back home I take another 3 hours to get there.

How many of you can say that you would not be worried about running out of juice on that drive back home even though you haven't traveled the estimated 300 km that the vehicle is rated to go?
300km is 300 km . EV are not like ICE the only time the range goes down is when you speeding . At standstill you will only be using power for the AC

The kona is rated at 480 km you will make it easy with that

the present ioniq at 200 km is an issue

after the upgrade the range will be about 280 km which will still be ok

Also regenerative breaking will add to your mileage

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » August 27th, 2019, 10:15 pm

kamakazi wrote:@j.o.e
It is way different

So let's say you reach in POS, and for whatever reason you have to head down mayaro. Ten minutes in a gas station and I good for the journey and the return... And if not gas and keep going.

With an ev... You taking the first five minutes to calculate on Waze and your phone to see if you have energy to cover that distance. Even if there were charging stations you would then have to calculate or maybe have the vehicle calculate how long you should remain at said charging station.

Vs... Well we have no infrastructure to charge vehicles so that vehicle will be parked up charging for the next couple of hours.

Run out of fuel vs running out of charge... One trip to the gas station, buy a gallon of fuel and... Well I think you get the idea.

EVs just don't allow the convenience of topping up in a couple minutes. It restricts mobility.

Unless random runs from south to POS back to Mayaro is a norm then you’re just thinking of a situation that will cause you to run out. That’s a very unlikely route for most people and the idea is to weigh out $$$ savings over risk of running out of charge. It is very hard to cover 300km as a regular driver in one day on this island and if you do you should rethink where you live/work.
I’m not talking about a delivery vehicle or taxi just a regular family vehicle.

djruncrowd
3NE 2NR for life

Postby djruncrowd » August 27th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Small portable generator in the trunk no worries about running out of juice

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 27th, 2019, 11:49 pm

j.o.e wrote:
It is way different

Unless random runs from south to POS back to Mayaro is a norm then you’re just thinking of a situation that will cause you to run out. That’s a very unlikely route for most people and the idea is to weigh out $$$ savings over risk of running out of charge. It is very hard to cover 300km as a regular driver in one day on this island and if you do you should rethink where you live/work.

That actually happens...I do learn your country drives and that is pretty much how it goes.
The situation above did kinda happen (minus the bit from the bamboo to POS)

Started Sando, Classes in Chaguanas,
purchased headlights in the bamboo. Got an invite from my colleagues for a lime in Mayaro. Back Sando then down to Palo Seco.

Random runs, while they aren't the norm, do still happen. (Just put fuel when I needed)

Regenerative braking cannot add mileage to an EV, unless the entire journey is all down hill. (The law that states energy can neither be created or destroyed)

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 28th, 2019, 5:01 am

kamakazi wrote:
j.o.e wrote:
It is way different

That actually happens...I do learn your country drives and that is pretty much how it goes.

purchased headlights in the bamboo. Got an invite from my colleagues for a lime in Mayaro. Back Sando then down to Palo Seco.

Random runs, while they aren't the norm, do still happen. (Just put fuel when I needed)

Regenerative braking cannot add mileage to an EV, unless the entire journey is all down hill. (The law that states energy can neither be created or destroyed)

You’re clearly the exception and not the norm. Wait till EV range increases. You should be good by 2025. For everyone else current EV range is sufficient.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 6:29 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
j.o.e wrote:
It is way different

You’re clearly the exception and not the norm. Wait till EV range increases. You should be good by 2025. For everyone else current EV range is sufficient.
The current kona EV is 400 km of range for most people that is by far sufficient

Even in US the average the range is only 80 km per day

we are a much smaller country

And yes every time you brake you can add range do a lil research nah

The future is now if all present EVs were available in trinidad the ranges will be more than enough

The real question is cost

If the Kona was to come in below 250000 with its range of 400 km it would be a no brainer

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » August 28th, 2019, 7:57 am

New Mazda 3 front and interior have some appeal

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 8:43 am

bess almera wrote:New Mazda 3 front and interior have some appeal
Any pics yet?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 28th, 2019, 9:30 am

PariaMan wrote:

I again say it does not and again will point to the first law of thermodynamics: "energy cannot be created or destroyed"

If you do not understand something this fundamental it doesn't make any sense going forward.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 9:43 am

kamakazi wrote:
PariaMan wrote:

I again say it does not and again will point to the first law of thermodynamics: "energy cannot be created or destroyed"

If you do not understand something this fundamental it doesn't make any sense going forward.
Regenerative braking uses an electric vehicle’s motor as a generator to convert much of the kinetic energy lost when decelerating back into stored energy in the vehicle’s battery

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 9:43 am

Pretty simple and straight forward

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 9:58 am

So, what is so great about regenerative braking? Basically, it recaptures some of the kinetic energy in your car and puts it back into the battery so that you can drive further before you need to recharge the battery. Regen really isn’t about braking at all. One of the unique features of an electric motor is that it can be both a motor and a generator. When it is in generator mode, it actually slows the car down just as if you had shifted to lower gear in a conventional car.

If the motor slows the car firmly enough, it can make using the mechanical brakes virtually unnecessary. In some cars, like the I-PACE, you can take your foot off the throttle and let the car coast to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal.

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » August 28th, 2019, 10:07 am

PariaMan wrote:
bess almera wrote:New Mazda 3 front and interior have some appeal
Any pics yet?

I couldn’t get any good pics...2 Volvo XC90 T6 & T8 plus XC40 blocked me.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”