TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

warrenc_alexis
Street 2NR

Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby warrenc_alexis » September 27th, 2016, 11:37 am

acesinghit wrote:Warren, If you like the Sentra design then go for that but iirc the back seat does not fold down. It has a trunk pass thru mechanism via the center arm rest. Confirm with your sales rep. I know the foldable backseat was one of your criterias. Don't forget, choose a vehicle that is factory tuned for our super.

I know for a fact that these cars can take super: Cruze 1.8/1.6, Elantra 1.6, cerato 1.6, lancer 2.0.

Older m3's with the mzr z6v 1.6 took premium, lancer cy 1.5 and 1.6 require premium, hr16de in Tiida required premium (same engine in b17 Sentra). So check up on what fuel is acceptable now in these newer models unless yuh doh care lol.

Oh yes super is important lol. Thanks for the reminder.

warrenc_alexis
Street 2NR

Postby warrenc_alexis » September 27th, 2016, 11:40 am

Its funny that I was told that the entry Elantra rear seats dont fold down but the mid spec has it. And stuff like an extra usb port is a "feature" lol. What crap.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 11:51 am

acesinghit wrote:I had a mk5 for 5 years. Sold it right after my last payment approx. a year ago. I have owned so much cars Ive lost track. There is no way it's sharper than the m3 and lancer. Sure the Jetta can take corners but it doesn't come close to any version of the mazda3. Perhaps alluh mk6 was much better but even those mag tests put the Jetta behind the pack. Best handling car I've ever owned was the 3 and lancer. So questions: does the mk6 have an irs? And is it lighter or heavier than the mk5? I know mine had the irs and meh sales rep tell me the mk6 is actually lighter. I know the updated pq35 has many permutations to it.

Mag tests for us jettas will mention that those don't have irs. Local jettas are euro spec and come with irs. Local ones also come with gti brakes. May not be as nimble as a Mazda but it certainly is no dog. Even better with lowering springs.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 11:56 am

Acknowledged

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 12:18 pm

All those N.A engines will be completely fine on super, the ecu will just step in and make adjustments.

If you running a turbo then consider premium. Then again the new civic 1.5 turbo say 91 octane is recommended and you will get no advantage for using higher octane fuels. So the tech is improving.

Turbo
Chronic 2NR

Postby Turbo » September 27th, 2016, 12:37 pm

warrenc_alexis wrote:Its funny that I was told that the entry Elantra rear seats dont fold down but the mid spec has it. And stuff like an extra usb port is a "feature" lol. What crap.

lol......well that's what the Koreans "mid spec" is, they want to have as much little additions to make em stand out, good marketing

Imagine two new car owners strike up a convo, one with the entry level and the other with the mid spec :D

...........then a co-worker passing by over hears said covo but he have the fully loaded :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 27th, 2016, 3:27 pm

drchaos wrote:All those N.A engines will be completely fine on super, the ecu will just step in and make adjustments.

If you running a turbo then consider premium. Then again the new civic 1.5 turbo say 91 octane is recommended and you will get no advantage for using higher octane fuels. So the tech is improving.

95 Ron (T&T premium) is equal to 91 AKI (USA). Did Classic make it crystal clear they were referring to our octane ratings when they said 91 is recommended?

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » September 27th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Yeah because they should have said 92 as that is the minimum available locally. Normally when they reference 91 it is AKI.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 27th, 2016, 4:27 pm

drchaos wrote:All those N.A engines will be completely fine on super, the ecu will just step in and make adjustments.

Good point. You are referring to the knock sensor where it can retard or advance ignition timing to avoid detonation. Thing is, according to Mitsubishi in the case of the current CY Lancer, the owners manual did indicate that is basically ok to use the lower grade fuel however this is for short periods only (4a91 and 4a92 motors only) until you can fill her up with the proper premium fuel. This also goes for the local t31 Xtrail with the qr25de motor. IIRC, besides the hr16de Sentra premium is also required for the mzr 1.6 Mazda 3 and 1nz-fe/3zz-fe corolla. Even I was told that the new 2016 civic 1.5t can use super but I would like to see the owners manual myself and read up on honda's recommendation. So I'm open to some correction.

Also did anyone of you notice how fast this new civic turbo is? I saw some YT vids that it faster than a k20/k24 civic si. I saw 0-60mph in like 6.8s. That's impressive. 174hp and 220nm torque mated to a CVT and it faster than a 158/160hp 240nm torque dsg Jetta? This hard to believe. Perhaps Honda underrated the actual power output like Nissan with the Gtr. At 255k cash price or 275k with in one package this appears to be a damn good deal.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 27th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Sometimes it's not quite that simple regarding fuel recommendations as the same engine can be tuned differently for different markets.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » September 27th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Hmmm thought was only Audi and BMWs use premium......

*shrugs

baigan
Riding on 16's

New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby baigan » September 27th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Morpheus wrote:Hmmm thought was only Audi and BMWs use premium......

*shrugs

.-. My cousin has been using super about 10 years now in a lancer, they told her premium only when she bought it.
My sister uses super in an E class, and has been for about 5 years.
Brother uses super in a c180 for about 4 years now.
Neighbor been filling his x5 with super for nearly a decade lol

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

95 Ron (T&T premium) is equal to 91 AKI (USA). Did Classic make it crystal clear they were referring to our octane ratings when they said 91 is recommended?

Sorry made a mistake there The civic 1.5 turbo uses 91 RON or 87 Aki or octane as the Americans say.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 8:43 pm

baigan wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Hmmm thought was only Audi and BMWs use premium......

*shrugs

.-. My cousin has been using super about 10 years now in a lancer, they told her premium only when she bought it.
My sister uses super in an E class, and has been for about 5 years.
Brother uses super in a c180 for about 4 years now.
Neighbor been filling his x5 with super for nearly a decade lol

Ah have a paddner who buy a lancer and running premium .. he says cause the premium "cleaner" :lol:

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Simplistic view is euros need x or y. Everyone heading same direction. Japanese going boosted now so many will be asking for minimum Ron 95 eventually.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Simplistic view is euros need x or y. Everyone heading same direction. Japanese going boosted now so many will be asking for minimum Ron 95 eventually.

With better engine tech 95 RON in turbo engines could be a thing of the past. With better direct injection, better engine cooling systems, better engine bay ventilation, better exhaust manifolds and aluminium engines everything runs cooler and less chance of knock.

Saint5
Riding on 13's

Postby Saint5 » September 27th, 2016, 10:27 pm

drchaos wrote:Yup still that 1.6 with a 4 speed. The Skyactiv 1.5 is not that much different in terms of HP but with 2 more gears, less internal friction and a lighter engine and tranny should feel a little bit peppier.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Yep still with that 1.6 and 4 speed. That was kind of my only complaint. The sales rep mentioned that the 1.5 skyactiv would of been a "step down" from the 1.6. Not sure how true this statement is. 2 more gears would of been nice. I felt like they haven't moved forward but ah well.

Also what i was talking about with regards to sluggish feeling, is what i have heard is the m3 felt a bit sluggish than other cars within this category. Not expecting anything great speed within this category.

I would be doing a test drive and seeing for myself that would be the best.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2016, 10:29 pm

drchaos wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Simplistic view is euros need x or y. Everyone heading same direction. Japanese going boosted now so many will be asking for minimum Ron 95 eventually.

With better engine tech 95 RON in turbo engines could be a thing of the past. With better direct injection, better engine cooling systems, better engine bay ventilation, better exhaust manifolds and aluminium engines everything runs cooler and less chance of knock.

Emissions standards don't stand still either so I'll believe it when I see it with respect to good performance boosted small displacement engines using super.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 27th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Saint5 wrote:
drchaos wrote:Yup still that 1.6 with a 4 speed. The Skyactiv 1.5 is not that much different in terms of HP but with 2 more gears, less internal friction and a lighter engine and tranny should feel a little bit peppier.

Yep still with that 1.6 and 4 speed. That was kind of my only complaint. The sales rep mentioned that the 1.5 skyactiv would of been a "step down" from the 1.6. Not sure how true this statement is. 2 more gears would of been nice. I felt like they haven't moved forward but ah well.

Also what i was talking about with regards to sluggish feeling, is what i have heard is the m3 felt a bit sluggish than other cars within this category. Not expecting anything great speed within this category.

Yeah that's typical salesman bullsheit. That's the line they were using to try chain up people, that a 1.6 is better than the 1.5 because is got more cc's.

Its not only 2 more gears, the skyactiv transmission has a lock-up toque converter than locks up very very early giving a direct engine to tranny connection. So much more efficient transfer of powah!

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: RE: Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 28th, 2016, 5:52 am

drchaos wrote:

The 1.4tsi engine is the most "technologically advanced" engine we get here and uses premium...anything with more tech than a high compression twin charged small displacement engine should see time travel in 8th gear ...lol

Highly doubt there are any petrol stations serving less than 95ron in 1st world countries like Europe/US/Canada...open to correction here

In hot climates as ours I dont care what any salesman says...any boosted engine in 40 deg climates should call for premium and nothing else if you want your engine to last long...dealerships make money from warrranty claims and repairs outside of that so its obvious they will encourage to use super just to get the sale..most cars can use super once or twice if premium isnt available but doesnt mean it can run on it indefinitely..

Misfires or detonation will occur and go un -noticed from the average driver and causes eventual and excessive piston failure.

Kindly be informed

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 28th, 2016, 6:33 am

Well said buddy. I prefer to read the fuel recommendation from the manufacturer as per info in the owners manual. When next I visit classic, I'll step inside that civic and open that glove box to find the page on recommended fuel. Understand this and I mean no disrespect to salesmen in general but have you seen the entry requirements to sell cars? In some cases it's just 5 O levels. Many sales reps don't know about engines and transmissions etc. they know price and features list. You do have some really knowledgeable reps who into racing and thus know alot about the technology via years or tinkering with stuff etc...but I learn never take a reps word as gospel. I know their job is to sell but direct me to your service manager if you cannot answer some technical related questions.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby drchaos » September 28th, 2016, 8:33 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:
drchaos wrote:

The 1.4tsi engine is the most "technologically advanced" engine we get here and uses premium...anything with more tech than a high compression twin charged small displacement engine should see time travel in 8th gear ...lol

Highly doubt there are any petrol stations serving less than 95ron in 1st world countries like Europe/US/Canada...open to correction here

In hot climates as ours I dont care what any salesman says...any boosted engine in 40 deg climates should call for premium and nothing else if you want your engine to last long...dealerships make money from warrranty claims and repairs outside of that so its obvious they will encourage to use super just to get the sale..most cars can use super once or twice if premium isnt available but doesnt mean it can run on it indefinitely..

Misfires or detonation will occur and go un -noticed from the average driver and causes eventual and excessive piston failure.

Kindly be informed

Petrol stations in the US serve up 87 AKI which is 91 RON, UK is 95 RON minimum. So North America has lower octane fuels in almost every gas station I have been to.

The 87 AKI/91 RON for the 1.5 Turbo on the new Civic is not a dealership recommendation, its a manufacturer recommendation. 91 RON is the recommendation for USA/Canada, Pakistan, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and every other market the 1.5 turbo is available in.

This engine is running 16+ pounds of boost, make around 170 HP with 220nm torque and runs on Super in Trinidad.

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 28th, 2016, 9:51 am

You are aware that USA engines are different from the market were are in which is why the engine codes would be different right?They are made specifically for US market fuel with high sulphur content.

Best bet is to check the local version of the manual

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 28th, 2016, 10:07 am

EDITED

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 28th, 2016, 10:29 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:You are aware that USA engines are different from the market were are in which is why the engine codes would be different right?They are made specifically for US market fuel with high sulphur content.

Best bet is to check the local version of the manual

Yup that's why I also quoted Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia which get their engines and cars from the same factory in Thailand that we get here in Trinidad for Honda's. They have very similar conditions in terms of road and environmental conditions as Trinidad and their recommendation is 91 RON.

The sticker on the gas tank of the 1.5T confirmed this in Trinidad. Will get a picture of the page in the manual when I get the car.

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 28th, 2016, 10:37 am

Well I def have to see dat to believe it...esp it being as fast as you say with a cvt and super gas...if ya race my jetta and beat me I would tune you for free

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 28th, 2016, 11:45 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:Well I def have to see dat to believe it...esp it being as fast as you say with a cvt and super gas...if ya race my jetta and beat me I would tune you for free

You might need to revert to stock for it to be a fair fight!

Saint5
Riding on 13's

Postby Saint5 » September 28th, 2016, 11:55 am

drchaos wrote:
Saint5 wrote:

Yeah that's typical salesman bullsheit. That's the line they were using to try chain up people, that a 1.6 is better than the 1.5 because is got more cc's.

Its not only 2 more gears, the skyactiv transmission has a lock-up toque converter than locks up very very early giving a direct engine to tranny connection. So much more efficient transfer of powah!

I am by no means any technical car guy. Have been getting into it as i was looking for new vehicle and knew I need to be more mindful and knowledgeable. I did my research and yea i sounded like BS what he mentioned. I started asking what engine it carries but could not get a flush answer. So Still don't know what they have.

Have to agree with the guy said above no disrespect to sales rep but they are not very technical and pretty much all they are there to do is sell with the features and gimmicks.

Speaking with another sales rep she mentioned we are a 3rd world nation so we are kinda behind in turns of getting all the great stuff. It's how 3rd world countries are treated.

That was one of the reasons i have hesitant on picking the M3 (older engine) and started looking into the new Elantra's. However putting things in perspective if this really is the same engine from the previous model, it seems to be extremely reliable and problem free. I have yet to hear any serious problems from Mazda over the past few year. I was thinking about waiting till next year, as i was told they may have new skyactiv engines by then. Think its worth the wait???

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » September 28th, 2016, 12:19 pm

If it's any consolation the engine we get is actually listed in the sales brochure as an option so it's not just a "lewwe send this to dem third world people" there is a slightly refreshed facelifted 2017 model but no idea when we will get it locally.
Personally I will say the current version is more than adequate and I wouldn't wait on the skyactiv version because the only skyactiv engines listed for the 3 are the 2.0 and 2.5 while they would be mounds better due to our retarded mvt the price would be prohibitive

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » September 28th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Massy whey u dey

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”