TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Capleton » March 24th, 2021, 8:59 am

carluva wrote:With proper care and service, your maintenance regime should not have abnormal surprises.

The only foreseeable issue is steering column. While few and far between, it has affected RAV4. The sign is a kinda of squishy sound while turning the steering accompanied by a slight looseness of steering. The cause, as I understand, is due to a seal in the steering column. My RAV4 was under warranty when this occurred about three years ago and with several calls and elevating to higher management, a new steering column was ordered and replaced. My issue with TTTL was not that they didn't want to cover the replacement rather, noone could of advise with certainty on the status of the replacement.

I understand that the seal could be replaced but TTTL opted to replace the entire column as a "safeguard". Back then, the cost of the column was TT$22,000.

This issue is not rampant though, and the greater majority of vehicles are unaffected. I was just one of the unlucky ones.

Aside from that, you will be good to go with the 2016 model. Injectors may need to be replaced but that is fairly normal with any car. Just service your injectors regularly, do the regular tuneups and the recommended major maintenance at the correct intervals and your vehicle will be in tip top condition.

PS, if you would like a number for an excellent service tech, let me know. You can ask him to scan the car prior to purchase and perhaps do a quick general inspection (at your cost) and thereafter use him for your service. PM me if your are interested.
Redo6 wrote:Agent007 and carluva, thanks guys.
I'm hedging towards the local used Rav4 as well and that car seat info hit the spot dey lol
Question tho, 2016 rav4, would u forsee many maintenance issues in the best future...
As this is another consideration as well.

My dad has a 2015 RAV4, (dealer maintained). Just Monday he had it serviced and they were telling him something about either the steering column or steering rack needed replacing at some astronomical figure around that same $22K you mentioned. Other than that, the material used on the steering wheel (synthetic leather) peels out from the steering wheel and then you just end up with a urethane looking steering wheel. The first time it happened the steering wheel was replaced under warranty. My advice would be to put a steering cover on the steering wheel. I hate steering wheel covers though, too bulky and ugly!

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » March 24th, 2021, 10:10 am

Capleton wrote:
carluva wrote:With proper care and service, your maintenance regime should not have abnormal surprises.

The only foreseeable issue is steering column. While few and far between, it has affected RAV4. The sign is a kinda of squishy sound while turning the steering accompanied by a slight looseness of steering. The cause, as I understand, is due to a seal in the steering column. My RAV4 was under warranty when this occurred about three years ago and with several calls and elevating to higher management, a new steering column was ordered and replaced. My issue with TTTL was not that they didn't want to cover the replacement rather, noone could of advise with certainty on the status of the replacement.

I understand that the seal could be replaced but TTTL opted to replace the entire column as a "safeguard". Back then, the cost of the column was TT$22,000.

This issue is not rampant though, and the greater majority of vehicles are unaffected. I was just one of the unlucky ones.

Aside from that, you will be good to go with the 2016 model. Injectors may need to be replaced but that is fairly normal with any car. Just service your injectors regularly, do the regular tuneups and the recommended major maintenance at the correct intervals and your vehicle will be in tip top condition.

PS, if you would like a number for an excellent service tech, let me know. You can ask him to scan the car prior to purchase and perhaps do a quick general inspection (at your cost) and thereafter use him for your service. PM me if your are interested.
I'm hedging towards the local used Rav4 as well and that car seat info hit the spot dey lol
Question tho, 2016 rav4, would u forsee many maintenance issues in the best future...

My dad has a 2015 RAV4, (dealer maintained). Just Monday he had it serviced and they were telling him something about either the steering column or steering rack needed replacing at some astronomical figure around that same $22K you mentioned. Other than that, the material used on the steering wheel (synthetic leather) peels out from the steering wheel and then you just end up with a urethane looking steering wheel. The first time it happened the steering wheel was replaced under warranty. My advice would be to put a steering cover on the steering wheel. I hate steering wheel covers though, too bulky and ugly!
What does the steering rack or steering cloumn noise sound like? I think i have a ticking sound when i turn the steering too much to make a 90 degree turn.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 24th, 2021, 10:47 am

The best way I can describe the sound is almost like a squish... maybe the sound made when you step in mud. Or perhaps even similar to when two abrasive pads are gently rubbed together.

However, in my case, this sound was accompanied by a slight jerkiness of steering. Remember, this vehicle is an electronic power steering, so it was almost a minute delay between turning the steering and the vehicle responding. This was noticeable when cruising and making the slight adjustments in steering while driving. It was obviously not noticeable when turning a corner.

Additionally, I found that the sound and the effect was more pronounced when the car was parked out in the sun for a while. So when my vehicle was parked in the work carpark in the morning, by the afternoon, the sound was quite noticeable as too was the jerkiness. However, as the car was driven, both reduced.

I reported this to TTTL on two occasions. The car was still under warranty and as a matter of fact, the part came in Trinidad upon expiry of the warranty. However, my case was already in the system about 6 months before that so it was honoured. Yes... 6 months. That was the issue I had in that noone could locate where the part was. In the end, it was in the Barataria warehouse for a few weeks before it was "found". Ironically, it was found the same week I escalated the issue.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » March 24th, 2021, 11:58 am

aaron17 wrote:
Capleton wrote:

What does the steering rack or steering cloumn noise sound like? I think i have a ticking sound when i turn the steering too much to make a 90 degree turn.

Will have to check it out and back to you, been awhile since I drove his vehicle. But he did tell me that he find the car driving normal, so I guess it may not be a bad (as yet).

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » March 24th, 2021, 1:24 pm

kamakazi wrote:AWD only helps when there is a loss of traction when accelerating. The only time it helps during cornering is when you are accelerating out of the corner. The only time it helps with stability is when you are accelerating on a slippery surface.
It doesn't help any other time. Have to make this distinction as people feel they can drive or corner faster, brake later, etc. in the wet, and the system will help them out.

This is so true!
To actually be able to get a benefit out of having an AWD car you have to change your driving psyche. We are programmed to slam the brakes when there is trouble. TO accelerate out of a problem requires a different state of mind.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » March 24th, 2021, 2:38 pm

drchaos wrote:
kamakazi wrote:AWD only helps when there is a loss of traction when accelerating. The only time it helps during cornering is when you are accelerating out of the corner. The only time it helps with stability is when you are accelerating on a slippery surface.
It doesn't help any other time. Have to make this distinction as people feel they can drive or corner faster, brake later, etc. in the wet, and the system will help them out.

This is so true!
To actually be able to get a benefit out of having an AWD car you have to change your driving psyche. We are programmed to slam the brakes when there is trouble. TO accelerate out of a problem requires a different state of mind.

Lolz, when I had my Fozzy, roads were wet and a kakahole in a Wingroad was right up on my bumper heading around the squiggly corner right by the cremation ground by Caroni. I give it a lil beans around the corner and Mr. Wingroad decide to follow suit, all I see in the rear view was a Wingroad in the bush! Also I find that at speed, the vehicle feels much more stable, them days 140kph was normal cruising speed.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 24th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » March 25th, 2021, 11:17 am

agent007 wrote:Cloudboi, sorry I now saw your post. Don’t hold your breath on that one. I have a feeling we will see it in 2022.

Thank you, I'm not holding my breath either, although I'm really looking forward as to how these vehicles would be spec'd since Honda made sensing standard across the entire civic lineup in the 2020MY but the dealership is still bringing in 2019s.

Also, unrelated, saw attached on fb today. That was fairly quick.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210325-110716_Facebook.jpg

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 25th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Does the fully loaded corolla comes with led headlights? I know mazda has it.
My next vehicle definitely has to have led and i am impressed with hrv and even the suzuki swift led headlights.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » March 25th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Looking forward to the new Tucson. It's on my list. I'd like to look at the new Elantra too but my sales rep informed me that they are all gone and they have nun to look at. You'd think Massy could keep a demo car for people to see. Do people regularly buy cars without even seeing it in person first?

A172

Postby A172 » March 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm

feeldavibe wrote:Looking forward to the new Tucson. It's on my list. I'd like to look at the new Elantra too but my sales rep informed me that they are all gone and they have nun to look at. You'd think Massy could keep a demo car for people to see. Do people regularly buy cars without even seeing it in person first?

yeah, think about it this way

Say they have a shipment of 100 vehicles coming in. While the units in transit people applying for their loans and getting conditional approvals, especially for 100% financing. Massy would receive 100 approvals before those units even land, so when they clear is just to license, deliver & collect payment.

Then it would have people like you who think it would have one waiting for you to see after shipment arrives and then make a decision. Obv they wouldn't care about u

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » March 25th, 2021, 4:50 pm

A172 wrote:
feeldavibe wrote:Looking forward to the new Tucson. It's on my list. I'd like to look at the new Elantra too but my sales rep informed me that they are all gone and they have nun to look at. You'd think Massy could keep a demo car for people to see. Do people regularly buy cars without even seeing it in person first?

yeah, think about it this way

Say they have a shipment of 100 vehicles coming in. While the units in transit people applying for their loans and getting conditional approvals, especially for 100% financing. Massy would receive 100 approvals before those units even land, so when they clear is just to license, deliver & collect payment.

Then it would have people like you who think it would have one waiting for you to see after shipment arrives and then make a decision. Obv they wouldn't care about u
I think he meant going and placing a order for a car without even seeing it in the showroom first, so you buying a car without ever sitting in one or taking a test drive. I know it happens, but how often I can't say.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » March 25th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Trust me ..it looking like the last elantra with triangles...i saw it on the road.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 25th, 2021, 6:54 pm

aaron17 wrote:Ent small cars are not good in crashes?

Shouldn’t be a blanket statement but it depends. Whilst there are general improvements, there are good performers out there.

I would have to agree on what was mentioned before regarding the peeling steering wheel but where the steering rack/column issue is concerned, knock on wood, we’re good to go even after 7 years as there was never another quality issued had with that vehicle.

Carluva, a second hand Fortuner? How are those 1KD’s holding up? The oldest Fortuner on our road is almost 16 yrs old and personally, for the few I’m aware about, sadly, they did not age well. I would prefer the 2.7 2TR petrol version.

Cloudboi and feeldavibe, fun fact on that new Tucson. It uses same 1.6GDi-T 7DCT combo but with 2.5 additional hp for a total of 177.5 (still 10 less horses than the CRV earth dreams ivtec 1.5t). It heavier now though so I won’t expect performance improvement.

aaron17 wrote:Does the fully loaded corolla comes with led headlights? I know mazda has it.
My next vehicle definitely has to have led and i am impressed with hrv and even the suzuki swift led headlights.

Doesn’t matter. You can change out the bulbs easily and believe me, after market LED replacement bulbs got better over the years.

Lol false hype I’m sure. If Massy brought in 30 and the shipment sold out within days, sales reps will twist it to you as “yeah boi, we bring in a whole shipment and by the time the vehicles left the bond, all was spoken for.” Many buyers naive and chupid real bad. They fall for hype and give them bank approval before the unit physically arrives. So essentially they purchased a vehicle blindly with only social media images to look at. Then when it eventually end up in the owners hands, some times there is buyers remorse syndrome. Before they know it, they got caught up with a pile of depreciating junk and a 10 year loan to cover. So to answer your question, yes, all the time.

Massy usually swallows up some new models internally as part of their corporate lease fleet. It’s poor business for them not to show you a vehicle assigned to a management official so at least you can get the opportunity to see one up close and personal before you make a decision.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 25th, 2021, 8:22 pm

It's one thing to look at the age of a vehicle for longevity; remember to consider mileage as well.

Hyundai vehicles still don't age very well. Prepare for some pain just after 50000kms and a world of hurt if you think about doubling or even tripling that. Some of the strangest design decisions I have ever seen.

Aftermarket Led setups have come a long way... But those OEM led projectors are serious.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 26th, 2021, 3:42 am

kamakazi wrote:It's one thing to look at the age of a vehicle for longevity; remember to consider mileage as well.

Hyundai vehicles still don't age very well. Prepare for some pain just after 50000kms and a world of hurt if you think about doubling or even tripling that. Some of the strangest design decisions I have ever seen. . .

I think it all has to do with proper maintenance. People's general perception of the Korean cars being low quality cars results in them skimping on the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, thus leading to issues occurring prematurely with these cars.

I have owned and driven two Hyundais from new, an Accent and a Coupe. I had the Accent for 10 years and 230,000km before selling it and had no real issues with it, other than the cracked plastic dashboard. I currently still have the Coupe and after 14 years and 221,000km, I have had no significant issues with it. I have changed a few ABS sensors, but that's about it. These Hyundais required no additional maintenance over the Mitsubishi Lancer that I also own, and the other Toyotas, Mazdas and Mitsubishi vehicles that I have had the responsibility of overseeing maintenance of.

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » March 26th, 2021, 8:09 am

I bought the fully loaded Tucson in 2018, in December of last year it was doing 20k and the gearbox had to be replaced and I'm waiting on a muffler replacement as its defective, mind you I only service at the firm and the vehicle is meticulously maintained, really disappointed!

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 26th, 2021, 8:39 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
kamakazi wrote:It's one thing to look at the age of a vehicle for longevity; remember to consider mileage as well.

Hyundai vehicles still don't age very well. Prepare for some pain just after 50000kms and a world of hurt if you think about doubling or even tripling that. Some of the strangest design decisions I have ever seen. . .

I think it all has to do with proper maintenance. People's general perception of the Korean cars being low quality cars results in them skimping on the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, thus leading to issues occurring prematurely with these cars.

I have owned and driven two Hyundais from new, an Accent and a Coupe. I had the Accent for 10 years and 230,000km before selling it and had no real issues with it, other than the cracked plastic dashboard. I currently still have the Coupe and after 14 years and 221,000km, I have had no significant issues with it. I have changed a few ABS sensors, but that's about it. These Hyundais required no additional maintenance over the Mitsubishi Lancer that I also own, and the other Toyotas, Mazdas and Mitsubishi vehicles that I have had the responsibility of overseeing maintenance of.

I would tend to disagree. Maybe you were lucky.
I have a 2016 Tucson, prior to that I had a CY Lancer for 4.5 years and prior to that a CS Lancer I bought RORO at 4 years old and kept for 3 years.

The CS lancer I had to change a fan sensor and thats about it. The CY never gave so much as an issue.

The Tucson (Company maintained for first 3.5 years and I usually averaged 12,000kms or less a year)

Within the first two years - A/C Thermostop and rear left door actuator spoilt
3.5 years - A/C evaporator gone
Between 4-5 years - All four door window regulators gone
And on top of that the steering has a weird noise that in the Hyundai thread you will see other 2016 Tucson owners complain about.
Right now my A/C only comes on when I switch it on and then use the accelerator pedal

Meticulous maintenance would not have prevented what was probably the installation of cheap/substandard parts at the time of manufacture.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 26th, 2021, 8:46 am

See that is the thing, people tell themselves that it is reliable, but when you hear the parts that needed to be replaced, then you find out how much more needed fixing.

As you have mentioned, wheel speed sensors seem to fail on these vehicles. The problem is the sensor is built into the hub/wheel bearing so it has to be replaced as well to "fix" the sensor; plus it costs more because you are replacing more. One option is to do without ABS and not bother with the sensor and the light on the dash and continue driving because the wheel bearing is still good.

Other parts that needed to be replaced on my colleagues hyundai SUV

Steering bushing 2x
Wheel speed sensors(including bearing) 2x
Broken front stabiliser bar
Brake lines (there are two 4" short rubber brake lines just after the abs module under the hood that are leaking brake fluid; probably flex lines)
Harmonic balancer(crank pulley)

7yrs old over 140000km
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 26th, 2021, 8:59 am

agent007 wrote:
aaron17 wrote:Ent small cars are not good in crashes?

Carluva, a second hand Fortuner? How are those 1KD’s holding up? The oldest Fortuner on our road is almost 16 yrs old and personally, for the few I’m aware about, sadly, they did not age well. I would prefer the 2.7 2TR petrol version.

Yup. We have owned this vehicle for 4-1/2 years. Bought it back in 2016 when it was 3 years old with one month left on warranty. The odometer reading was 56,000 km at time of purchase. The vehicle is coming up on 100,000km now. The mileage is a bit low for the age, but given the 1+ year of COVID, not much kms were put on the engine. When I purchased the vehicle, the engine was in top condition as was the interior. The body needed some work as the owner was a bit careless and ended up putting several dents on it. That was fixed at the time of purchase but not to my satisfaction. I lived with it for 4 years and then had the vehicle recently repainted. I got it back beginning of February this year and the body work is now to my satisfaction.

Truthfully, maintenance is key with this and all vehicles. The 1KD engine is a tank. But there is a small catch. There were the local Toyotas with the 1KD engine and the grey market Toyotas with the 1KD engine. The former's engine did not have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System and it was blanked off. Grey market units however were hit or miss with many coming with the EGR. This is where some of the engine issues came about...

As all would be aware, diesel quality in Trinidad was and is poor. As such, the vehicles from Toyota catered for this by not having the EGR and so, the emissions from these units were not sent back into the engine for burning off. Thus, the carbon deposits in the engine and exhaust were greatly eliminated thereby prolonging engine life. The same cannot be said for many of the grey market units. For example, if you have a look at the Vigos on the road, many of them belch thick black smoke, have significant carbon deposits on the areas surrounding the exhaust and suffer from lack of performance (engine screaming while accelerating but the vehicle going nowhere). Because of the fuel quality, the EGR didn't work as effectively as it should and there were a high amount of engine deposits and deposits in the EGR valve. In the case of the latter, without servicing or replacing the valve, the valve usually would stick open, instead of throttling, thereby exacerbating the situation. I know of quite a few grey market owners who ended up blanking out the EGR completely to alleviate the issue and have had good performance thereafter. In fact, I know of many 1KD owners (local and grey market) whose engine has done 200,000+ kms and are still enjoying the performance of the engine.

Personally, this is but one of the reasons I will not buy from the grey market (new or used)... the vast majority of dealers do not know how to maintain what they are selling, are offering vehicles not suited for our market and offer poor after sales service support. I always prefer to buy from a local dealer or a second hand local unit. Whether it's true or not, I believe that many local dealers ensure that their vehicles are suited for our market, climate and fuel conditions.

The KUN-51 Fortuner and its Hilux counterpart easily eat through the bad roads in Trinidad as the stock suspension is arguably one of the most rugged and robust that you can get on a 4x4 SUV. I cannot tell you how many times I have comfortably gone through some bumpy roads while other cars and SUVs need to be pampered.

As Ron Popei would say, "set it and forget it" does not apply to this or any vehicle. Mechanical maintenance is a must, especially for diesel vehicles. The 1KD engine does need the maintenance on schedule. Despite what many would say, those engines need to be maintained at 5,000km intervals regardless of the type of oil. Which is why I say maintenance is key. And not only engine maintenance, but to prolong the body and paintwork, regular washing and waxing is needed. I machine wax (with carnuba based waxes) or hand wax (with synthetic pastes) my vehicles regularly and enjoy when I am doing it. And after every wash, I use a spray wax. Simple things such as that go a long way to prolong the life of the vehicle. I also use UV protectant detail sprays on the interior and exterior trim to prevent cracking and discolouration. Remember, we live in a tropical climate so a little bit more care has to go into our vehicles. Believe it or not, regular pressure washing with the gas pressure washers that almost all the car wash guys have nowadays is a huge no-no as the products they use coupled with the excessive high pressure damages bodywork. Once in a while is fine, but if it is being done every week or every two weeks, this is a huge mistake. I would take mines by those guys maybe 3-4 times a year, if so much, and that would only be to get rid of the heavy grime before I prep it for waxing or cleaning.

A vehicle, new or used, is a huge investment and we need to protect that through care and maintenance, especially if one does not have the desire or capability to upgrade or replace vehicles every 3-5 years.

A172

Postby A172 » March 26th, 2021, 10:07 am

doh forget the one side only DRL feature plenty of them less than 1 year old korean junk suffering from

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 26th, 2021, 10:26 am

Well you guys jut killed my Tucson dreams... and it was going to be my first Korean :(

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » March 26th, 2021, 10:37 am

Not me and Kia/Hyundai vehicles nah. Had a diesel Sportage (company vehicle, that was on a short term lease from Southern Sales). Had to make a deadline to submit some docs and I drove really hard up the highway (south/north). By the time I reach North car was overheating and when i popped the hood, there was diesel everywhere in the engine bay, a fuel line came loose. Them thing cannot take jamming.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » March 26th, 2021, 10:42 am

Gladiator wrote:Well you guys jut killed my Tucson dreams... and it was going to be my first Korean :(

Yuh undertsand? :cry:

Everything else is so expensive though and they come with zero features. Man, I guess most people don't study features like me. I see plenty people in brand new Benz driving and talking on their cell phone still when CLEARLY that car would at least have bluetooth if not Apple carplay. So what? They just don't use it or don't know?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 26th, 2021, 10:52 am

From my perspective, the Korean vehicles offer what the majority of persons perceive to be high end features - powered seats, dual zone climatic control, "leather" interior, audio system, LED lights and a host of other cosmetic features. More money is pumped into these cosmetics vs the mechanics, engine and tech. This is why these cars see issues years down the road.

The Japs on the other hand blend both (mostly), except Toyotas which have poor "cosmetic" features but whose engine and reliability are first class. Mazdas have come a long way and seem to offer the best of both worlds - Korean features with Toyota reliability. Unfortunately, SS has left a bad taste in the mouths of many. Hondas also have a good reputation, although the new 1.5T engine seems to have mixed reviews.

When buying a vehicle, do as I do and ask yourself what am I looking for in a 350k+ investment - Tech and cosmetics or engine, reliability, safety (and crash safety ratings) and to some extent, appearance. I always choose the latter as I can always swap out a head unit for a better aftermarket and do a seamless sound quality system. Plus powered seats are no appeal as is the dual zone climatic control (which, lets face it, noone uses). The only options I'd be willing to pay a lil extra for are the additional safety options such as blind spot monitoring, lane assist etc. (like what the Forrester eyesight offers).

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » March 26th, 2021, 11:06 am

feeldavibe wrote:
Gladiator wrote:Well you guys jut killed my Tucson dreams... and it was going to be my first Korean :(

Everything else is so expensive though and they come with zero features. Man, I guess most people don't study features like me. I see plenty people in brand new Benz driving and talking on their cell phone still when CLEARLY that car would at least have bluetooth if not Apple carplay. So what? They just don't use it or don't know?

Agreed with you here.
SOmehow the models we get are basic and marketed as a form of loaded.

Personal preference for me have been on the Japanese vehicles - Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

I don't buy a vehicle unless i can easily get a part as resonable rates.

With my usage of driving south -north return trip daily i have been using a Hilux - 700+ per fill up.

I had a 2011 3.0l sold it for the 2019 2.9 mid spec. I never test drove or physically checked the Hilux in firm till I collected it. (Yes i have some level of Faith in the vehicle).

With the price paid in 2019 for the Mid Spec was 295k - I simply changed out the Garbage Deck for a JVC 950 touch with android auto and a HD reverse camera.

was not willing to pay an additional 22,000 k for the 18inch rim and newer lights DRL model.

Currently the same midspec is 332,000 TTD.

Realized this 2019 Hilux will be kept for avg 10 years.

the prices are ridiculous now.

and i do believe you can buy the basic model and upgrade certain elements like a Deck, light camera , sensors later on.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 26th, 2021, 11:11 am

Carluva, I enjoyed that response, thank you. It was very informative!

**edit**

Re: vehicle reliability

Any new vehicle is nice to own when under warranty but as it ages, pressure. Truth is, which brand is totally trouble free?

I would say where reliability and longevity is concerned for engines and transmissions, I believe Toyota is #1. Mazda’s made 2012 and beyond would be there too. Mitsubishi (2007 and beyond) are up there as well. I understand Mitsubishi 4A9x and 4B11 engines are really reliable. Honda K engines tend to be bullet proof like the B engines too. I would say, Honda will challenge Toyota more closely. The earth dreams ivtec turbo has been in TT for 4.5+ years now and I never heard of any owner complaining about oil dilution.

Suzuki M16 engines tend to hold up too. Subaru claims 97% of their vehicles purchased within the last 10 years are still on the road. That claim seems pretty generic because I don’t expect any vehicle to rust and turn to dust after 10 years.

Nissan’s glory days locally was the Sentra B14 with GA16, Laurel Altima A31 with RB24, Maxima J30 with the VG V6, A32/A33 with VQ V6, Bluebird SSS U13 with SR20, Primera P11 also with SR20, Wingroad Y10 with GA15. To some extent the Xtrail T30 with QR20/25 and surprisingly the March K13 non CVT model. Nowadays Nissans with a Jatco CVT is problems.

Hyundai and Kia in-house 6AT transmission seems to be good. Their downfall is engine longevity and their electrical systems (especially Kia), it doesn’t hold up well. Like I mentioned before, Kia is to Hyundai is exactly what Seat and Skoda is to Volkswagen.

My Asian brand rankings are Toyota, Isuzu, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Nissan, Hyundai and then Kia.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 26th, 2021, 12:08 pm

mitch1980 wrote:
feeldavibe wrote:

Agreed with you here.

Personal preference for me have been on the Japanese vehicles - Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

With my usage of driving south -north return trip daily i have been using a Hilux - 700+ per fill up.

I had a 2011 3.0l sold it for the 2019 2.9 mid spec. I never test drove or physically checked the Hilux in firm till I collected it. (Yes i have some level of Faith in the vehicle).

With the price paid in 2019 for the Mid Spec was 295k - I simply changed out the Garbage Deck for a JVC 950 touch with android auto and a HD reverse camera.

was not willing to pay an additional 22,000 k for the 18inch rim and newer lights DRL model.

and i do believe you can buy the basic model and upgrade certain elements like a Deck, light camera , sensors later on.

I couldn't agree with you more Mitch. For that $22,000 extra, it is better to use the rubber your van came with and at the tyre change, replace the wheels if so desired. And you can do a proper SQ system and still be under the $22,000. On the wheels note, the amount of persons swapping out stock rims on Hilux is no joke so you can easily pick up a set of the 18" Toyota if you look carefully enough and still be under 22k. In 2019, I got a set of the 18" with the Michellin tyres with 250km on them (previous owner collected his van one day and the next day he took it to replace the wheels and tyres) for $6,500 and sold the 17" on my van to a fellow tuner for $3,000. So $3,500 for a new set of wheels isn't all that bad... Plus, the previous owner was the one who paid the 22k extra, so its no surprise who won there.

Features such as cruise control, push to start, "tiptronic" gears and paddle shifters (lol at paddle shifters cause what can you possible do with those in a 1.5 or 1.6 engine car beats me) are all a further waste of time, money and presents additional electronics which can fail. And personally, what is the big deal and/or benefit of the DRL? To this day, noone has been able to convince me of its purpose, but I remain open minded to a plausible reason. And for those of you who have wives that use a vehicle with push to start, tell me the truth... How many times have you been looking for the fob when it was in their handbag? Or have you ever left the car on and locked the doors as normal and go about your business? That has happened to me twice with the RAV4, but fortunately I realised that the doors were not locking so I went in to discover my error. Push to start is not worth it for me as an additional feature I should pay for. If it is standard, no issue, but I prefer to not pay extra for that given the inconvenience it can cause.

People need to temper expectations and choose the vehicles for what they want and not what the dealer is trying to sell you.

But again, that is my perspective and I am not trying to force this on anyone, but rather offering a view for consideration. After all, the more views on the table, the better informed we can all be wrt a vehicle purchase.

feeldavibe
Street 2NR

Postby feeldavibe » March 26th, 2021, 2:02 pm

carluva wrote:
mitch1980 wrote:
feeldavibe wrote:

Agreed with you here.

I couldn't agree with you more Mitch. For that $22,000 extra, it is better to use the rubber your van came with and at the tyre change, replace the wheels if so desired. And you can do a proper SQ system and still be under the $22,000. On the wheels note, the amount of persons swapping out stock rims on Hilux is no joke so you can easily pick up a set of the 18" Toyota if you look carefully enough and still be under 22k. In 2019, I got a set of the 18" with the Michellin tyres with 250km on them (previous owner collected his van one day and the next day he took it to replace the wheels and tyres) for $6,500 and sold the 17" on my van to a fellow tuner for $3,000. So $3,500 for a new set of wheels isn't all that bad... Plus, the previous owner was the one who paid the 22k extra, so its no surprise who won there.

Features such as cruise control, push to start, "tiptronic" gears and paddle shifters (lol at paddle shifters cause what can you possible do with those in a 1.5 or 1.6 engine car beats me) are all a further waste of time, money and presents additional electronics which can fail. And personally, what is the big deal and/or benefit of the DRL? To this day, noone has been able to convince me of its purpose, but I remain open minded to a plausible reason. And for those of you who have wives that use a vehicle with push to start, tell me the truth... How many times have you been looking for the fob when it was in their handbag? Or have you ever left the car on and locked the doors as normal and go about your business? That has happened to me twice with the RAV4, but fortunately I realised that the doors were not locking so I went in to discover my error. Push to start is not worth it for me as an additional feature I should pay for. If it is standard, no issue, but I prefer to not pay extra for that given the inconvenience it can cause.

People need to temper expectations and choose the vehicles for what they want and not what the dealer is trying to sell you.

But again, that is my perspective and I am not trying to force this on anyone, but rather offering a view for consideration. After all, the more views on the table, the better informed we can all be wrt a vehicle purchase.

I hear you on gimmick features like paddle shifters on a 1.6L engine. Cruise control I disagree. I drive up and down the highway for work and I want cruise control, furthermore, I want dynamic cruise control so the car will slow and accelerate itself, cuz I know people gonna reply to me saying 'yeah but you have to disengage the cruise control every 5 mins cuz people driving slow in the overtake lane'. Dynamic cruise control is built for this. This is pretty much a standard feature in other countries. I just took a peek inside a X5 and a Porsche Macan, both had cruise control but niether had dynamic cruise control. Seriously Trinidad.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » March 26th, 2021, 2:35 pm

feeldavibe wrote:
carluva wrote:
mitch1980 wrote:
feeldavibe wrote:

Agreed with you here.

I hear you on gimmick features like paddle shifters on a 1.6L engine. Cruise control I disagree. I drive up and down the highway for work and I want cruise control, furthermore, I want dynamic cruise control so the car will slow and accelerate itself, cuz I know people gonna reply to me saying 'yeah but you have to disengage the cruise control every 5 mins cuz people driving slow in the overtake lane'. Dynamic cruise control is built for this. This is pretty much a standard feature in other countries. I just took a peek inside a X5 and a Porsche Macan, both had cruise control but niether had dynamic cruise control. Seriously Trinidad.

Difference of the 22,000:
Keyless entry and push button start ( 400td for push button start done externally
18 rims ( 6500td done externally)
Press button AC vs Dial
DRL lights
Same CRAP Deck back then... ( 7500ttd for new Head Unit and flat powered Sub and JBL door speakers with 170 degree HD reverse cam)

BOTTOM LINE THE DRIVE TRAIN AND SUSPENSION AND POWER IS EXACTLY THE SAME.

Also drove a Vezel RS for 3 months - Cruise control. Personally it made no sense as we don't have the clear roads to use it to actually benefit from it. I drive the longest road everyday North South 50km Mt hope to South . the level of traffic we have everyday too much to have a positive use of Cruise Control.

Also i kept forgetting the Key fob in car or in pocket... personally prefer the tradition Key ignition.

Unless u drive @2am in the morning when no one is on the road.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”