TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Re: T&T OFFICIAL new vehicle prices and discussion thread

Postby iarmd1 » August 17th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Any one have the vezel? Thinking about bringing in the hybrid. Who have one and can tell if its worth the money?

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 17th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I'm doing some research presently between the Vezel and the suzuki vitara based on them being within the 195,000 to 225,000 (lower spec model) price band ... These are my findings on THE HONDA VEZEL so far;
*The RU1 2wd and RU2 4wd models are the non hybrid models. which are fitted with a regular CVT transmission.
*The RU3-2wd and RU4-4wd models are the hybrid models which come in the 1.6 and 1.8 variants which are fitted with a dual clutch DCT transmission.
*The ru1 and 2 models are those sold in the US and UK markets models.. The ru3 and 4 models are primarily sold mostly in Japan, Sri Lanka etc.
*The HRV RU1 is what is currently being sold at Ansa/diamond motors.
*the VEZEL RU3 2WD is the hybrid model being sold used and new by RORO dealers locally.

ISSUES WITH VEZEL
*There have been numerous recalls of the RU3 HONDA VEZEL due to transmission failure more so in the 2014 to 2016 model years. this issue is due to these models being outfitted with a 7 speed dual clutch DCT transmission similar to those in the Honda FIT hybrids, and is due to a software issue coupled with the apparent harsh effects of the hot weather climates on the operations of the (dry clutch) system which resulted in transmission error codes showing on dash and sluggishness and seizing of transmissions. Honda had stopped production and eventually resumed.. however they still have not confirmed officially or otherwise if this issue in the newer VEZELS have been rectified.
*The most up to date dealer in the hybrid VEZEL is P&V marketing as I've called them and spoke to the guys there who were able to engage me quite accurately in terms of knowledge of the various models, spec, servicing, etc, however in terms of the issue with the dual clutch transmission, they were only able to say that they 'believe' that the issue was resolved in the 2017 and 2018 models which they currently sell and service as they haven't had any issues with any that were sold yet (however it may be too early to tell on a 2017 purchased vehicle unless the owner is quite an aggressive driver) Also P&V offers a very good warranty on the new hybrid vehicles they sell 3yrs/100km on the vehicle and 5yrs on battery and service is 1200.00 per interval inclusive of average parts and labour
In terms of fuel economy the hybrid VEZEL averages between 780km to 800km on a tank of fuel. Surprisingly however the suzuki vitara which is fitted with a regular 1.6 naturally aspirated engine mated to a 6 speed transmission competes with the hybrid Vezel and gets in the range of 680 to 800 km per tank of super (verified by local vitara owners) which to me is quite surprising/ interesting.
*The battery materials in the newer model VEZEL have been changed ftom nickel based to li-ion resulting in greater efficiency and output and an increase in resistance to the degrading effects of hot weather on the lifespan of a battery.
Besides these issues the VEZEL remains a very appealing vehicle in terms of design, space and interior comfort and practicality however it should be ascertained whether the transmission issue in the newer 2017 /2018 hybrid models have been resolved.
*The availability of parts for the Vezel seems to be plentyful even with the added bonus of sourcing parts from the US, UK etc as Honda enjoys a worldwide presence.. Only issue would be parts specifically intended for use in the conventional model vs hybrid model per export region i.e body parts vs engine parts per specified model. (suzuki pulled out of the US, and there are few to none online suzuki parts dealers you have to depend on the dealer for parts).
*How these issues affect resale value I'm not sure... There are both new and RORO Vezels available as well as new HRV's which is the same vehicle just not a hybrid so it's hard to say. Other guys on the forum may know better. What impact would having a RORO model of the same vehicle have on the resale value on a new model of that vehicle in the local market.
*The current RORO vezels 2014 to 2016 (possibly subject to the DCT DUAL CLUTCH PROBLEM) range between 145 000 to 170,000 depending on model
* BRAND NEW fully loaded Vezels - RU3 2017/ 2018 available at some RORO dealers like Achievor and P&V for example range between 199,000 to 250,000 low to high spec.
*Brand new HRV - RU1 (non hybrid) are available at ANSA/Diamond motors for around 249,000 (base model) upwards to 280,000 full spec.

I however continue my reading as I'm doing comparative research before deciding to take the plunge between the two.
Hope I've been of some help

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » August 18th, 2018, 12:29 pm

The new corolla hatch looking bess.. would it come here?

sharadu2
Street 2NR

Postby sharadu2 » August 18th, 2018, 12:46 pm

That milage for a vezel has to be highway runs only, more specifically no traffic, wishful thinking. I have a vezel about 18months now and city use in and around San Fernando I get 500 Kms on a tank of gas. Highway runs I did 3 times for the week San Fernando to trincity early morning no traffic I got 630 kms. As per recall on issues my chassis number wasn’t on any recall lists and anyone considering buying one should verify using chassis number. Overall it’s a very good vehicle. Very powerful and responsive.very spacious compared to other suv in same category, Tucson,vitara or cx5. Seat folding options in the rear makes it unique for carrying load.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » August 18th, 2018, 2:14 pm

sharadu2 wrote:That milage for a vezel has to be highway runs only, more specifically no traffic, wishful thinking. I have a vezel about 18months now and city use in and around San Fernando I get 500 Kms on a tank of gas. Highway runs I did 3 times for the week San Fernando to trincity early morning no traffic I got 630 kms. As per recall on issues my chassis number wasn’t on any recall lists and anyone considering buying one should verify using chassis number. Overall it’s a very good vehicle. Very powerful and responsive.very spacious compared to other suv in same category, Tucson,vitara or cx5. Seat folding options in the rear makes it unique for carrying load.

Thanks buddy. Good owner's advice. Actually considering one as well for a family member. I really like them but was concerned about the transmission issues.

And I think it's more powerful than all of the other Japanese and Korean SUVs available in our market.

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 18th, 2018, 2:54 pm

The stated mileage figures for the vezel were based on manufacturer stated (promised) figures.... The vitara figure was from an actual local owner..... In light of everything however I agree the Vezel a much more satisfying vehicle in terms of looks, equipment, space and seating configuration, practicality etc... I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the gas consumption figures of the Vezel versus the vitara, it being a hybrid and all.. Thought the hybrid technology would have given much better mileage per tank regardless of highway or inner city runs. Also I really hope that the transmission issues have been rectified.
Last edited by OPERATORJOE on August 18th, 2018, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 18th, 2018, 3:03 pm

There's also the 2018 hybrid seven seater Toyota Sienta being sold by P&V For 185,000

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm

https://goo.gl/images/YWo5Qv
The 2017 /2018 sienta 7 seater

psychokid
3NE 2NR for life

Postby psychokid » August 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm

OPERATORJOE wrote:I'm doing some research presently between the Vezel and the suzuki vitara based on them being within the 195,000 to 225,000 (lower spec model) price band ... These are my findings on THE HONDA VEZEL so far;
*The RU1 2wd and RU2 4wd models are the non hybrid models. which are fitted with a regular CVT transmission.
*The RU3-2wd and RU4-4wd models are the hybrid models which come in the 1.6 and 1.8 variants which are fitted with a dual clutch DCT transmission.
*The ru1 and 2 models are those sold in the US and UK markets models.. The ru3 and 4 models are primarily sold mostly in Japan, Sri Lanka etc.
*the VEZEL RU3 2WD is the hybrid model being sold used and new by RORO dealers locally.

ISSUES WITH VEZEL
*There have been numerous recalls of the RU3 HONDA VEZEL due to transmission failure more so in the 2014 to 2016 model years. this issue is due to these models being outfitted with a 7 speed dual clutch DCT transmission similar to those in the Honda FIT hybrids, and is due to a software issue coupled with the apparent harsh effects

of the hot weather climates on the operations of the (dry clutch) system which resulted in transmission error codes showing on dash and sluggishness and seizing of transmissions. Honda had stopped production and eventually resumed.. however they still have not confirmed officially or otherwise if this issue in the newer VEZELS have been rectified.
*The most up to date dealer in the hybrid VEZEL is P&V marketing as I've called them and spoke to the guys there who were able to engage me quite accurately in terms of knowledge of the various models, spec, servicing, etc, however in terms of the issue with the dual clutch transmission, they were only able to say that they 'believe' that the issue was resolved in the 2017 and 2018 models which they currently sell and service as they haven't had any issues with any that were sold yet (however it may be too early to tell on a 2017 purchased vehicle unless the owner is quite an aggressive driver) Also P&V offers a very good warranty on the new hybrid vehicles they sell 3yrs/100km on the vehicle and 5yrs on battery and service is 1200.00 per interval inclusive of average parts and labour
In terms of fuel economy the hybrid VEZEL averages between 780km to 800km on a tank of fuel. Surprisingly however the suzuki vitara which is fitted with a regular 1.6 naturally aspirated engine mated to a 6 speed transmission competes with the hybrid Vezel and gets in the range of 680 to 800 km per tank of super (verified by local vitara owners) which to me is quite surprising/ interesting.
*The battery materials in the newer model VEZEL have been changed ftom nickel based to li-ion resulting in greater efficiency and output and an increase in resistance to the degrading effects of hot weather on the lifespan of a battery.
Besides these issues the VEZEL remains a very appealing vehicle in terms of design, space and interior comfort and practicality however it should be ascertained whether the transmission issue in the newer 2017 /2018 hybrid models have been resolved.
*The availability of parts for the Vezel seems to be plentyful even with the added bonus of sourcing parts from the US, UK etc as Honda enjoys a worldwide presence.. Only issue would be parts specifically intended for use in the conventional model vs hybrid model per export region i.e body parts vs engine parts per specified model. (suzuki pulled out of the US, and there are few to none online suzuki parts dealers you have to depend on the dealer for parts).
*How these issues affect resale value I'm not sure... There are both new and RORO Vezels available as well as new HRV's which is the same vehicle just not a hybrid so it's hard to say. Other guys on the forum may know better. What impact would having a RORO model of the same vehicle have on the resale value on a new model of that vehicle in the local market.
*The current RORO vezels 2014 to 2016 (possibly subject to the DCT DUAL CLUTCH PROBLEM) range between 145 000 to 170,000 depending on model
* BRAND NEW fully loaded Vezels - RU3 2017/ 2018 available at some RORO dealers like Achievor and P&V for example range between 199,000 to 250,000 low to high spec.
*Brand new HRV - RU1 (non hybrid) are available at ANSA/Diamond motors for around 249,000 (base model) upwards to 280,000 full spec.

I however continue my reading as I'm doing comparative research before deciding to take the plunge between the two.

And the vitara?

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 19th, 2018, 9:06 pm

psychokid wrote:
OPERATORJOE wrote:I'm doing some research presently between the Vezel and the suzuki vitara based on them being within the 195,000 to 225,000 (lower spec model) price band ... These are my findings on THE HONDA VEZEL so far;

ISSUES WITH VEZEL
*There have been numerous recalls of the RU3 HONDA VEZEL due to transmission failure more so in the 2014 to 2016 model years. this issue is due to these models being outfitted with a 7 speed dual clutch DCT transmission similar to those in the Honda FIT hybrids, and is due to a software issue coupled with the apparent harsh effects

of the hot weather climates on the operations of the (dry clutch) system which resulted in transmission error codes showing on dash and sluggishness and seizing of transmissions. Honda had stopped production and eventually resumed.. however they still have not confirmed officially or otherwise if this issue in the newer VEZELS have been rectified.

And the vitara?

Based on what I've gathered thus far on the vitara, it's a pretty good vehicle in terms of reliability. The locally sold vitaras are manufactured in Hungary and are euro spec in terms of features but not in terms of the build quality. The quality of the materials used in its construction are in my opinion subpar when pitted against the VEZEL. even the available equipment offered on the based model when compared to a base model Vezel is chalk and cheese.. If you want to feel like you're driving something special you have to fork out an extra 30 to 40 thousand to head up to the higher spec vitara models.
*The local Vitaras come in four model types the GL+(basic), GLX (midspec), GLX 4x4 ALL GRIP and GLX - SZ5 (fully equipped ALL GRIP with sunroof) all fitted with a 1.6 litre naturally aspirated engine mated to a regular 6 speed automatic transmission.
*from all reviews that I've seen thus far from both Europe and the Middle East, they have been consistent in terms of corroboration of the following:
THE GOOD
*Good suspension
*reliable engine and transmission
*Excellent handling
*Excellent fuel consumption
*Excellent reliability
*Good ground clearance
*Good 4x4 capabilities (per applicable model)
*interior space (per applicable segment)
*good climate control (a/c)

THE BAD
*flimsy build feel
*cheap looking interior
*under powered engine 1.6 variant (1.4 turbo booster jet engine is only available in the UK and Indonesia)
*use of cheap plastics
* lack of interior comforts compared to rivals in the same segment.
*Road noise
*problems with electrical components in the higher end models... reported issues were more to deal with... automatic headlight coming on intermittently, anti collision warning sensors too sensitive, finicky hill assist function and slow or rebooting issues with touch screen head units.

*IN TRINIDAD the major issue with suzuki in general is the availability of parts and the monopolistic existence of lifestyle motors, which lends to a direct effect on COST of both parts and servicing. (in contrast to the vezel which has both dealership and RORO support)

*Most of the reviews thus far has touted the vitaras overall reliability more so the GL+ model due in part to its lack of high end electronics which as seen in the GLX are the main niggles. The vitara scored higher in reliability ratings than most of the competitors inclusive of the Vezel. In my opinion that's helped in part by the better support systems like more competing suzuki dealerships and franchises, independent repair shops and parts suppliers etc in Operation in those foreign countries which would give options to the customer as compared to what presently exists in Trinidad, especially for the newer models, most suzuki parts available on the local parts market are for the older vitaras, sx4's, swift etc. For newer model parts you have to face the company.

*In my opinion I would tend to lean towards the vitara for two main reasons 1. its use of a traditional engine which still rivals hybrids in terms of fuel consumption and which so far has appeared to be very reliable , and
2. The use of a regular transmission which has also proven to be reliable based on all reports thus far (I subject myself to correction by owners on the forum who may have experienced otherwise).
As it relates to the Vitara vs the Vezel... I like the vezel more so for its looks both inside and out, seat tricks etc however I would tend to lean towards the vitara more because what's more important for me and I stress 'ME'.....is what I would term 'the heart and lungs of a vehicle' (engine and transmission) which allows it to be able to do that which I really bought said vehicle to do i.e transport myself and my family reliably for years with minimal issues,.. There may be issues in terms of features between one vehicle to another that one may be able to overlook, but it's my opinion that it makes no sense to invest in a vehicle that may be prone to pre existing issues which would tend to keep one wondering when will this or that happen.

EvoTarmac
Riding on 13's

Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby EvoTarmac » August 20th, 2018, 8:36 am

agent007 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to post up our newest addition to the family but did not get the time to do so until now. Will post more pics soon!

So far the 190hp turbo engine is pulling ok, the CVT is very silent and smooth, the AC is working fine and blows very cold air even in the hot mid-day sun. The suspension is not RAV4 soft but more on the firm and sporty side (like Mazda). Handling is very reassuring and confident for a SUV thanks in part to those very grippy Toyo 235 series tyres wrapped on 18” octopus styled rims. The fit and finish is amazing for this class and the features are awesome in particular the Honda Lane Watch, Driver Attention Monitor and Honda Agility Assist. The 8 speaker stereo is surprisingly good with nice tonal range and the leather feels premium. It has smart phone integration and a massive instrument cluster screen in full digital which can be customized. Finally those front LEDs are very bright, the distance the light itself travels and the wide range it captures - no unlit back road at night would be intimidating again. The remote start comes in handy to warm up the vehicle before driving off on a morning and you are able to close the windows and panoramic sunroof (a CRV first) with the remote as well. What we don’t like is that it doesn’t come with a sub or amp, door scuff/sill plates, rear cargo cover, paddle shifters, wireless cell phone charging, knee airbag, front camera, puddle lights, ventilated seats, lit vanity mirrors, Auto dimming rear view mirror and a roof rack. Given the price and overall features etc, It was worth it. For the accessories we did not get with the vehicle, luckily since the CRV is a global crossover and offered almost as the same spec as the NA version, a trip to Amazon took care of many items as opposed to ordering directly through Classic Motors which may prove to be a more expensive route. We shall update more as miles are racked up on it. So far so good in terms of the sale and customer service as well. We would be filling with premium despite the sales person mentioning that super is fine. The model we got is the 5-seater RVSi 2WD. The AWD model will arrive after Christmas and I am not sure if that version will have the extra seats to make it a 7-seater (similar to the Xtrail).

Hello, any further reviews on the CR-V? I am interested in getting one.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby SLVR1 » August 20th, 2018, 11:00 am

EvoTarmac wrote:
agent007 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to post up our newest addition to the family but did not get the time to do so until now. Will post more pics soon!

So far the 190hp turbo engine is pulling ok, the CVT is very silent and smooth, the AC is working fine and blows very cold air even in the hot mid-day sun. The suspension is not RAV4 soft but more on the firm and sporty side (like Mazda). Handling is very reassuring and confident for a SUV thanks in part to those very grippy Toyo 235 series tyres wrapped on 18” octopus styled rims. The fit and finish is amazing for this class and the features are awesome in particular the Honda Lane Watch, Driver Attention Monitor and Honda Agility Assist. The 8 speaker stereo is surprisingly good with nice tonal range and the leather feels premium. It has smart phone integration and a massive instrument cluster screen in full digital which can be customized. Finally those front LEDs are very bright, the distance the light itself travels and the wide range it captures - no unlit back road at night would be intimidating again. The remote start comes in handy to warm up the vehicle before driving off on a morning and you are able to close the windows and panoramic sunroof (a CRV first) with the remote as well. What we don’t like is that it doesn’t come with a sub or amp, door scuff/sill plates, rear cargo cover, paddle shifters, wireless cell phone charging, knee airbag, front camera, puddle lights, ventilated seats, lit vanity mirrors, Auto dimming rear view mirror and a roof rack. Given the price and overall features etc, It was worth it. For the accessories we did not get with the vehicle, luckily since the CRV is a global crossover and offered almost as the same spec as the NA version, a trip to Amazon took care of many items as opposed to ordering directly through Classic Motors which may prove to be a more expensive route. We shall update more as miles are racked up on it. So far so good in terms of the sale and customer service as well. We would be filling with premium despite the sales person mentioning that super is fine. The model we got is the 5-seater RVSi 2WD. The AWD model will arrive after Christmas and I am not sure if that version will have the extra seats to make it a 7-seater (similar to the Xtrail).

Hello, any further reviews on the CR-V? I am interested in getting one.

I will strongly advise doing a test drive. The CR-V is smooth, ample power and absorbs bumps really well. It corners with little body roll and feels well planted. Very good visibility as well and the steering is direct. It's in such demand that I won't get mine until Nov./Dec. :( Only issue is the CR-V is wide so narrow parking/squeezing by tight areas is not going to be nice.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 20th, 2018, 8:40 pm

No problems to report. 11,000kms+ later and its still as good as new! The intro price from 359k went up to 379k and it is expected to increase yet again after the budget so act now. The 4WD version is $410-415k and that is also subject to increase. The basic is $310k which is a steal of a deal considering what you're getting however at that price the Mazda CX-5 is better despite being down on power. Goodluck pal.

OPERATORJOE
Street 2NR

Postby OPERATORJOE » August 20th, 2018, 9:23 pm

agent007 wrote:No problems to report. 11,000kms+ later and its still as good as new! The intro price from 359k went up to 379k and it is expected to increase yet again after the budget so act now. The 4WD version is $410-415k and that is also subject to increase. The basic is $310k which is a steal of a deal considering what you're getting however at that price the Mazda CX-5 is better despite being down on power. Goodluck pal.
Congrats 007, looks like you didn't cop the chevy equinox after all

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 20th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Lol actually bro, the crv came before the Equinox! Said Equinox I understand you can get one for as low as $310k and it is one of the few crossovers in the market with a torque converter automatic! The other 3 being the Kuga $289k, CX5 $312k and Sportage GT Line $339k

EvoTarmac
Riding on 13's

Postby EvoTarmac » August 21st, 2018, 7:51 am

Thanks for the good advice guys. I actually did a test drive already and it's one of the better SUV's I have test drove. Very comfortable, spacious and the engine responded quite remarkable. Actually, it was the basic I drove and it's not very basic if you ask me. I would like to test drive the CX5 but SS servicing issues in the past have me thinking twice. I have never owned a Honda vehicle before, but with your reviews and my own interpretation, I think this might be the one.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 21st, 2018, 9:37 am

EvoTarmac wrote:Thanks for the good advice guys. I actually did a test drive already and it's one of the better SUV's I have test drove. Very comfortable, spacious and the engine responded quite remarkable. Actually, it was the basic I drove and it's not very basic if you ask me. I would like to test drive the CX5 but SS servicing issues in the past have me thinking twice. I have never owned a Honda vehicle before, but with your reviews and my own interpretation, I think this might be the one.

Once you change your fluids at the regular intervals (I use only Honda Genuine) you should have no issues. I have family and friends that say how expensive Honda are to repair, the cost to service etc. but having owned one for 10 years from new I can attest that they are solid and reliable and do not cost much to service especially if you do the fluid changes for yourself (after the warranty period). Of course some question the reliability of these new turbo engines vs the NA ones but knowing Honda, they would ensure a solid product not to mentioned since you are buying from the firm, any recalls will be applied so that is peace of mind. As I said, my CR-V will come in around Nov./Dec. but the showroom was full of PDT ones waiting to be collected (about 6) so as Agent007 said, act now. Consider though, the basic ones only have front airbags vs the RVSi with its full complement.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 21st, 2018, 11:15 am

sharadu2 wrote:That milage for a vezel has to be highway runs only, more specifically no traffic, wishful thinking. I have a vezel about 18months now and city use in and around San Fernando I get 500 Kms on a tank of gas. Highway runs I did 3 times for the week San Fernando to trincity early morning no traffic I got 630 kms. As per recall on issues my chassis number wasn’t on any recall lists and anyone considering buying one should verify using chassis number. Overall it’s a very good vehicle. Very powerful and responsive.very spacious compared to other suv in same category, Tucson,vitara or cx5. Seat folding options in the rear makes it unique for carrying load.

The Vezel is not in the same category as the Tucson or CX5 though.

Its equivalents would be the Creta and CX3 in those brands.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 25th, 2018, 6:19 pm

agent007 wrote:No problems to report. 11,000kms+ later and its still as good as new! The intro price from 359k went up to 379k and it is expected to increase yet again after the budget so act now. The 4WD version is $410-415k and that is also subject to increase. The basic is $310k which is a steal of a deal considering what you're getting however at that price the Mazda CX-5 is better despite being down on power. Goodluck pal.

Why would it increase after the budget? I was given the same sales pitch/chain up before buying the Civic from the sales agent .... The remaining budgets should be soft ones as we approach elections.

Any increase would be due to dealer greed as they expect they can increase prices due to high demand.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 25th, 2018, 6:26 pm

SLVR1 wrote:
EvoTarmac wrote:Thanks for the good advice guys. I actually did a test drive already and it's one of the better SUV's I have test drove. Very comfortable, spacious and the engine responded quite remarkable. Actually, it was the basic I drove and it's not very basic if you ask me. I would like to test drive the CX5 but SS servicing issues in the past have me thinking twice. I have never owned a Honda vehicle before, but with your reviews and my own interpretation, I think this might be the one.

Once you change your fluids at the regular intervals (I use only Honda Genuine) you should have no issues. I have family and friends that say how expensive Honda are to repair, the cost to service etc. but having owned one for 10 years from new I can attest that they are solid and reliable and do not cost much to service especially if you do the fluid changes for yourself (after the warranty period). Of course some question the reliability of these new turbo engines vs the NA ones but knowing Honda, they would ensure a solid product not to mentioned since you are buying from the firm, any recalls will be applied so that is peace of mind. As I said, my CR-V will come in around Nov./Dec. but the showroom was full of PDT ones waiting to be collected (about 6) so as Agent007 said, act now. Consider though, the basic ones only have front airbags vs the RVSi with its full complement.

A fellow tuner did point out to me that there is a class action law suit starting up in the states against Honda for the 1.5 Turbo.
Oil dilution seems to be the issue, which can shorten the life of the engine. So far cold climates seem worst affected but there is little information.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 25th, 2018, 6:31 pm

SLVR1 wrote:

Honda is expensive to maintain, usually when you have to replace parts. Parts places also charge more for Honda parts or want to sell you the more expensive aftermarket options.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 25th, 2018, 6:34 pm

drchaos wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:

A fellow tuner did point out to me that there is a class action law suit starting up in the states against Honda for the 1.5 Turbo.
Oil dilution seems to be the issue, which can shorten the life of the engine. So far cold climates seem worst affected but there is little information.
What oil is recommended for that vehicle... 5w20... Cause that wouldn't be such a problem if it had a higher viscosity oil.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 25th, 2018, 7:20 pm

kamakazi wrote:
drchaos wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:

What oil is recommended for that vehicle... 5w20... Cause that wouldn't be such a problem if it had a higher viscosity oil.

0w-20 is what is recommended but you can use heavier oils like 0w-30 and 5w-30 I believe.

quattro
Street 2NR

Postby quattro » August 26th, 2018, 9:09 am

drchaos wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:

Doesn’t seem like it would be a significant issue in our climate. From what I read, the problem is that short trips in cold climates don’t allow the engine to warm up enough to evaporate the uncombusted gas collected in the oil pan. Would likely smell the gas in the cabin if it’s happening

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 26th, 2018, 11:15 am

kamakazi wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:

Honda is expensive to maintain, usually when you have to replace parts. Parts places also charge more for Honda parts or want to sell you the more expensive aftermarket options.

You buy online and skybox it. Cheaper than the dealer and those autoshops. Aftermarket is not expensive but may give you issues.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 26th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Not always as easy as it sounds especially if your car isn't a model that sold worldwide or has unique features.
But that is probably changing now.
So about the aftermarket parts I talked about earlier...I just want people to understand that aftermarket makes quality parts as well. As far as I know...Honda doesn't make or manufacture fluids, sparkplugs, belts, shocks, bulbs, brakes, etc.
(Just using Honda as the example here)

Regarding new vehicles:
Manufacturers want you to buy their vehicles so they advertise how long their vehicle can go without having certain services done like oil changes or say things like lifetime fluid all to market a lower total cost of ownership

Dealers or service stations want you to come back as often as possible to have items serviced so they can charge you as much times as possible to have unnecessary services done and sell you whatever parts they have to sell

You have to understand this to make an informed decision.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 26th, 2018, 1:25 pm

kamakazi wrote:Not always as easy as it sounds especially if your car isn't a model that sold worldwide or has unique features.
But that is probably changing now.
So about the aftermarket parts I talked about earlier...I just want people to understand that aftermarket makes quality parts as well. As far as I know...Honda doesn't make or manufacture fluids, sparkplugs, belts, shocks, bulbs, brakes, etc.
(Just using Honda as the example here)

Regarding new vehicles:
Manufacturers want you to buy their vehicles so they advertise how long their vehicle can go without having certain services done like oil changes or say things like lifetime fluid all to market a lower total cost of ownership

Dealers or service stations want you to come back as often as possible to have items serviced so they can charge you as much times as possible to have unnecessary services done and sell you whatever parts they have to sell

You have to understand this to make an informed decision.

You are correct, for instance the Serpentine Belts are made by Bando, spark plugs by Denso etc. Surprisingly, a Bando Belt may have a different appearance vs the OEM one made by them but function is the same and lifespan.
When I buy a vehicle I always look for one sold in the US/Canada for parts availability so Amazon/Ebay etc. come in useful. Though certain things like Headlamps may look the same but are not in terms of number of bulbs, markings etc. But there are inferior aftermarket parts as well e.g. cheap Chinese knockoffs that one must be mindful of.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm

quattro wrote:
drchaos wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:

Doesn’t seem like it would be a significant issue in our climate. From what I read, the problem is that short trips in cold climates don’t allow the engine to warm up enough to evaporate the uncombusted gas collected in the oil pan. Would likely smell the gas in the cabin if it’s happening

Here is the article:
HONDA EARTH DREAMS ENGINE LAWSUIT FILED FOR CR-VS AND CIVICS
Honda 1.5-liter, 2-liter and 2.4-liter direct injection Earth Dreams engines allegedly defective.
By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com Posted in News
Honda Earth Dreams Engine Lawsuit Filed For CR-Vs and Civics
August 22, 2018 — A Honda "Earth Dreams" engine lawsuit alleges 2015-2018 Honda CR-Vs and 2016-2018 Honda Civics have 1.5-liter, 2-liter and 2.4-liter direct injection engines that are defective.

Filed by plaintiffs Troy Fath, Vincent Puma and Higinio Bautista, the proposed class-action lawsuit includes all former and current owners and lessees of the named Honda vehicles.

Plaintiff Troy Fath says he purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V equipped with a 1.5-liter Earth Dreams engine in July 2017, a vehicle he still owns.

In January 2018 and with about 5,200 miles on the odometer, Fath’s wife was driving when the SUV went into limp mode and the warning lights illuminated. She pulled over and the Honda was towed to the dealership where the technician found the engine oil level was too high.

The dealer allegedly had the CR-V for about two weeks to replace the engine oil and filter.

When the vehicle had about 6,800 miles, the plaintiff smelled gasoline coming from the CR-V and took it back to the dealer and once again the oil and filter were replaced.

The oil and filter were replaced again when the vehicle had 7,600 miles after the plaintiff claims the oil level was too high. According to the lawsuit, the technician wrote:

“CHANGED OIL AND FILTER. OIL WAS ABOUT 1QT OVER FULL. HONDA IS IN THE PROCESS OF CREATING A SOLUTION.”

Fath says he then noticed the oil had fuel in it when the CR-V had about 8,900 miles, so he again visited the dealership and technicians replaced the oil and filter again.

The plaintiff says he contacted Honda but the automaker admits a problem exists but doesn't have a fix. Now he is stuck with a vehicle that has allegedly lost value due to the Honda engine.

According to the plaintiffs, Honda has concealed its knowledge the Earth Dreams engines are prone to defects that cause fuel to enter the engine oil, damaging the bearings and engines permanently. Decreased oil viscosity and premature wear allegedly cause the CR-V SUVs and Civic cars to stall and fail while driving.

The plaintiffs claim they wouldn't have purchased the vehicles, or would have paid a lot less for them, if Honda would have admitted the Earth Dreams engines have problems.

The lawsuit alleges the engines aren't properly lubricated once the oil loses its viscosity, causing too much strain on the engines when under higher loads. In addition to damaging the bearings, the rotating assemblies and other engine components allegedly can't handle the pressure without enough lubrication.

According to the Earth Dreams lawsuit, Honda has done nothing to help customers even when the vehicles are still covered by the powertrain warranties and sometimes even blames owners for not driving the vehicles for longer distances.

Further, the automaker hasn't recalled the CR-Vs and Civics to repair the engine problems, and no offers of reimbursement have been made.

The Honda Earth Dreams engine lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota - Fath, et al., vs. Honda North America, Inc., et al.

The plaintiffs are represented by Gustafson Gluek PLLC, Sauder Schelkopf, and Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC.

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » August 26th, 2018, 10:12 pm

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/ ... ok-review/

So apparently the new Toyota RAV4s are just coming with 2.5 litre engines, petrol. The fact that it also comes in hybrid trim doesn't matter since the hybrid tax benefit was revoked for 2.0+ engines.

As the markets continue to change and 2.0+ engines become more efficient, will countries like Trinidad get priced out of the market for the top cars?

So far things worked to our benefit as manufacturers produced lower cc engines and paired them with Turbos to meet efficiency targets. If this trend changes, will an SUV or a Pickup truck be the equivalent of an S Class Benz in our market?

How much would a 2.5 Litre RAV4 be if a 1.5litre CRV starts at $310,000??

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

T&T OFFICIAL new vehicle prices and discussion thread

Postby scotty_buttons » August 26th, 2018, 10:34 pm

noobie wrote:https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/rav4/2019/2019-toyota-rav4-first-look-review/

So apparently the new Toyota RAV4s are just coming with 2.5 litre engines, petrol. The fact that it also comes in hybrid trim doesn't matter since the hybrid tax benefit was revoked for 2.0+ engines.

As the markets continue to change and 2.0+ engines become more efficient, will countries like Trinidad get priced out of the market for the top cars?

So far things worked to our benefit as manufacturers produced lower cc engines and paired them with Turbos to meet efficiency targets. If this trend changes, will an SUV or a Pickup truck be the equivalent of an S Class Benz in our market?

How much would a 2.5 Litre RAV4 be if a 1.5litre CRV starts at $310,000??

There will be a new 2.0 engine in other markets that will be coming with the new Rav4. Namely in the UK and India.
I’m sure we’ll get the same 2.0, if not tuned differently.
2.5 hybrid would be reserved for the fully loaded.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”