TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Re: New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby ADONI » December 4th, 2017, 11:48 am

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20171204 ... e-this-car

Mr. Latoo wants Toyota to replace this car

New car dealership Toyota Trinidad and Tobago Limited is defending itself against claims that it sold a customer a defective vehicle that it has declined to replace.

Penal resident Deopersad Latoo said he purchased a Toyota Corolla GLI 2017 sedan at Toyota's South Park, San Fernando branch on September 29, but began experiencing problems with the vehicle the very next day.

“My son and I observed that the car began vibrating when placed in reverse gear so I contacted the company and indicated that the vehicle had a defect, whereby we were instructed to bring the vehicle in.

“We returned the vehicle on October 2 and it was placed on a ramp and checked, after which we were told there's nothing wrong with it, but not being satisfied with that assurance, I asked to have it replaced.”

Latoo said he was informed that his request for a replacement would have to be dealt with by Service Manager Rawl Jones.

“The next day (Oct 3) I received a call from Mr Jones asking if it was possible for me to meet him at the South Park branch, so I agreed. The vehicle was test driven and the vibration was detected.”

Jones, he said, told him in order for the vibration to stop he needed to engage the accelerator all the way, and that as far as he was concerned there's nothing wrong with the vehicle since all the GLIs performed the same way.

“I told him that after spending $245,000 I'm not willing to accept a defective vehicle and asked for the vehicle to be replaced, failing which, I would like to have my money refunded. Both those requests were denied,” Latoo said.

He said he then sought legal representation and a pre-action protocol letter was sent to Toyota on October 16. The company responded via their attorneys seeking an extension, which was granted to November 3.

“Strangely enough, on November 3 I got a call from my lawyer telling me I need to go and collect the vehicle as Toyota has sent a letter indicating I would be billed a storage fee of $200 daily for each day the vehicle remained on their compound.

“What Toyota did was they literally forced me to take the vehicle back, so I had to hire a wrecker to go and collect it.”

Latoo said despite his lawyer informing him that Toyota had supplied the results of tests indicating the vehicle was not defective, he still was not satisfied because he was not present when those tests were conducted, nor could he verify the authenticity of the test results.

Toyota responds

Toyota, however, refuted some of Latoo's allegations while standing by the veracity of the tests results.

In a meeting on Wednesday with president Shigeru Ito, vice president Ryan Latchu, Jones and Service Team Leader Sheldon Thompson, Express was told that no one at Toyota ever informed Latoo that the vibration was consistent with the 2017 Corollas, or for that matter, with any vehicle manufactured by Corolla.

“We are distributors and therefore are not 100% professionals in declaring a vehicle defective. To define a vehicle as being defective is the call of the manufacturers,” Ito said.

When asked if Toyota receives requests to have vehicles replaced and how do they treat with such requests, Ito responded: “Normally we don't receive such requests, however, we have a warranty manual endorsed by the manufacturers that outlines the conditions under which a vehicle will be repaired or replaced.

“We will not replace an entire vehicle if one component is not functioning as it should, we'll just replace the specific component.”

Ito also said Toyota has done everything possible, even paying for tests to be done by independent third party, Cariclaims, to maintain its policy of good customer service and relations.

In shedding some light on the tests conducted, Thompson said, “We took a decision to have Latoo's vehicle properly checked by our people at the Panama Representative Office in Panama, who provides us with technical support. So we had one of their senior engineer flown down to perform a PicoScope Test, which measures vibrations.

“The tests were conducted on his, as well as a comparison vehicle, a new Toyota Corolla of the same model. The results from the tests done on both vehicles indicated that the vibration occurs when both the accelerator and the brake pedals were engaged when the vehicles are in reverse gear.

“There's something called first force vibration, which is normal for any mechanical component in motion. When the brake and accelerator of a vehicle is engaged at the same time you have two opposing forces at play and this increased the level of first force vibration. Under normal circumstances the rubber mounts that support the engine will absorb the first force vibration, but in scenarios like this, the vibration will be exaggerated.

Thompson said the PicoScope tests showed that cause of the vibration is as a result of driver's error, from trying to reverse while the brake is engaged, which is what Mr Latoo is said to have been doing.

Toyota also produced the results from the tests done by Cariclaims which stated that a noticeable vibration emanated from the engine, particularly at low RPM when a full load was applied in reverse gear while the hand brake was fully engaged to the point where the vehicle could not mover. According to the test report, the vibration subsided when the RPM was increased above 1800.

The report stated that test done on a Corolla not yet registered provided the same results and since engine tolerances are tighter in new vehicles, while engine and transmission mounts are expected to be stiffer when new but will soften with use. It also stated that the vibration does not represent a defect and there are no known recalls for that model.

“We are still willing to meet with Mr Latoo and see how best this issue can be resolved,” Ito said.

To Toyota's claim, Latoo said: “I've been driving for over 30 years so I would be foolish to engage the brake pedal and the accelerator at the same time”.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » December 4th, 2017, 2:07 pm

agent007 wrote:Dave, the new Cruze is really nice. A huge step up in features and performance but imo it lost that European heavy sort of feeling to it. GM weren’t kidding when they mentioned that they cut weight a lot so the car feels like a Corolla or Elantra. The top trim LTZ model is a joke compared to the premier model sold in the US. The rear bulb taillights is also a failure and the lack of rear AC vents again is disappointing. I truly expected more with the massive hype built up for that car honestly but I suppose GM did well to offer anything in Trinidad since this little twin island nation is a drop in the bucket for them. Test drive it and form your own opinion. For $210k it was a steal of a deal but I understand it’s now $235k? Someone please confirm. At that price they can keep it.

LT price has been reduced to $199,950 with a $17,000 cash back. The LTZ for $235K also has a $17,000 cash back.

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » December 7th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Just met with a Nissan rep to find out the prices on the facelift quasqai or the new model as they call it.
4x2 Sense - $295,000.00 vat inclusive
4x2 Advance - $319,000 vat inclusive
4x4 exclusive - $349,000 vat inclusive
Shipment is expected sometime in January, 2018. Prices seems kinda steep to me, they said is because of the new taxes being imposed.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » December 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm

lalloboy101 wrote:Just met with a Nissan rep to find out the prices on the facelift quasqai or the new model as they call it.
Shipment is expected sometime in January, 2018. Prices seems kinda steep to me, they said is because of the new taxes being imposed.

Those prices really steep! I wonder what the prices the X-Trail looks like now?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » December 7th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Dam! Just now they go have to offer 10 year loans for a vehicle!

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » December 8th, 2017, 5:23 am

Capleton wrote:
lalloboy101 wrote:Just met with a Nissan rep to find out the prices on the facelift quasqai or the new model as they call it.

Those prices really steep! I wonder what the prices the X-Trail looks like now?

Basic x-trail starts at $340k, fully loaded is well over $400k.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 8th, 2017, 7:58 am

and that's for a compact suv. Can't comfortably fit 4 proper size adults in one of those. Why they don't bring the turbo charged versions with smaller displacement to avoid the extra taxes?

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » December 8th, 2017, 8:01 am

ADONI wrote:Dam! Just now they go have to offer 10 year loans for a vehicle!

If u have a business, a bess wok or still living in u muddar and faddar house is only then u can afford a new vehicle.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » December 8th, 2017, 8:02 am

I think they already started offering ten year loans for vehicles...

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » December 8th, 2017, 8:30 am

Dizzy28 wrote:

and that's for a compact suv. Can't comfortably fit 4 proper size adults in one of those. Why they don't bring the turbo charged versions with smaller displacement to avoid the extra taxes?

Good question, but if certain companies' sales weren't affected by the previous concession on hybrid vehicles, do you think there would have been any 'extra taxes' on that displacement range to begin with?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 8th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Went to look at the finally all new hilux hmm not bad at all

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » December 8th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Pics ?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 8th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Hey forgot to but the engine compartment look very modern and prices reasonable

agent007
punchin NOS

New Vehicle Prices In Trinidad & Tobago

Postby agent007 » December 21st, 2017, 6:48 pm

Guys, the 2018 Mitsubishi ASX 2.0 has arrived! The basic trim starts at $299k. The refreshed Lancer is $180k for the 1.6 sports and $215k for the 2.0 regular. L200 Sportero 2.5 4wd is $285k and is our of stock because it’s selling really fast. A new shipment of crossovers would be coming soon but the rep I spoke to was unwilling to confirm if the new Outlander 2.4 and Eclipse Cross Turbo is on it’s way or not. If the Cross does make it then it’s exciting times ahead for Mitsubishi!

pablo_tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby pablo_tt » December 27th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Aside from the one dude that had a problem with his ford ranger and posted it in the ole talk forum, anyone recently purchased ranger? How has it been so far?

Street 2NR

Postby Registered User » December 29th, 2017, 11:43 pm

agent007 wrote:Guys, the 2018 Mitsubishi ASX 2.0 has arrived! The basic trim starts at $299k. The refreshed Lancer is $180k for the 1.6 sports and $215k for the 2.0 regular. L200 Sportero 2.5 4wd is $285k and is our of stock because it’s selling really fast. A new shipment of crossovers would be coming soon but the rep I spoke to was unwilling to confirm if the new Outlander 2.4 and Eclipse Cross Turbo is on it’s way or not. If the Cross does make it then it’s exciting times ahead for Mitsubishi!

Is it this model lancer that you're referring to? That would be interesting as the previous touching up with addition of DRLs etc seemed to take away from its looks instead of enhancing

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 29th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Registered User wrote:
agent007 wrote:Guys, the 2018 Mitsubishi ASX 2.0 has arrived! The basic trim starts at $299k. The refreshed Lancer is $180k for the 1.6 sports and $215k for the 2.0 regular. L200 Sportero 2.5 4wd is $285k and is our of stock because it’s selling really fast. A new shipment of crossovers would be coming soon but the rep I spoke to was unwilling to confirm if the new Outlander 2.4 and Eclipse Cross Turbo is on it’s way or not. If the Cross does make it then it’s exciting times ahead for Mitsubishi!

Is it this model lancer that you're referring to? That would be interesting as the previous touching up with addition of DRLs etc seemed to take away from its looks instead of enhancing

Doubt it if said refreshed .That looks all new

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » December 30th, 2017, 7:30 am

Gents, some recommendations for a new vehicle will be appreciated.

Have a female friend, who, because of her new job, is in the market for a new vehicle, with the main factors being:

1.Must be SUV type vehicle but not a pickup or car
2.Budget of 300k give or take
3.Decent reliability and after sales service
4.Must be able to blend into carparks full of euros and euro suvs.It might sound frivolous to some but this is the actual reason for having to get a new vehicle in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » December 30th, 2017, 7:47 am

Ford Kuga.
#4 is suspect though

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » December 30th, 2017, 8:14 am

Skanky wrote:Gents, some recommendations for a new vehicle will be appreciated.

Have a female friend, who, because of her new job, is in the market for a new vehicle, with the main factors being:

4.Must be able to blend into carparks full of euros and euro suvs.It might sound frivolous to some but this is the actual reason for having to get a new vehicle in the first place.

Thanks in advance.
Q3 might be up her avenue but aftersales with southern sales lil shaky. It's the closest thing to her budget looks decent enough. She would only be able to get the 1.4t with that budget instead of the 2.0t. doubt it would matter to her.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » December 30th, 2017, 9:50 am

racedriverpro wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Q3 might be up her avenue but aftersales with southern sales lil shaky. It's the closest thing to her budget looks decent enough. She would only be able to get the 1.4t with that budget instead of the 2.0t. doubt it would matter to her.

Know this guy with a two year old audi who we make fun of because he actually drives the replacement camry more than the actual car he bought.
Will check out the Kuga though.Thanks.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » December 30th, 2017, 10:17 am

I thought the q3 was currently the most relaible model.

steverandolph
3NE 2NR for life

Postby steverandolph » December 30th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Thanks in advance.

Saw the Kia Niro hybrid recently, looks nice and at 225 K is well within budget. Go online and see the positive reviews. Dealing with SS suspect though. And PM me your friends number seems she has insecurity issues and needs a man like me to help her :evilbat:

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 30th, 2017, 2:10 pm

steverandolph wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Saw the Kia Niro hybrid recently, looks nice and at 225 K is well within budget. Go online and see the positive reviews. Dealing with SS suspect though. And PM me your friends number seems she has insecurity issues and needs a man like me to help her :evilbat:
If a woman hasn’t had sexual contact with someone in awhile, she may begin to have poor body image. A sure way to boost your lady’s self-esteem is to show her that she is wanted—especially sexually.

I feel you right

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » December 30th, 2017, 2:41 pm

You all are misunderstanding the situation.
Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » December 30th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Saw a new niro on the road today. It looked like a euro from far. Very nice looking vehicle.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » December 30th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I find the ioniq to be much the better looking vehicle

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » December 30th, 2017, 9:59 pm

racedriverpro wrote:I thought the q3 was currently the most relaible model.

Could be the most reliable vehicle in the world, but we got horror stories of dealership in T&T turning your vehicle in lemons.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 31st, 2017, 11:11 am

Skanky wrote:You all are misunderstanding the situation. . .

:| Well help us all understand the situation because it sounds like an insecurity issue on her part.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 31st, 2017, 6:59 pm

She has problems. Buy what you can afford and like

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”