TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby kamakazi » May 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

There are a couple of components that go into this but I will try and highlight what I have pieced together.
hp numbers by themselves are a waste of time. (Eg. 160hp) the number by itself doesn't tell you anything about how the engine producers this power. Adding information like engine size, fuel type, FI or NA, compression ratio, torque, # of cylinders etc. fills in pieces of the puzzle, and this is only for the engine side.

There is also the transmission, which has various types, different gear ratios with different torque multiplication characteristics. Add to this different Tyre sizes with varying weight and also the weight of the entire vehicle.

Just saying that you think 100hp is not enough or you don't think it is enough kinda ignores the entire picture.

Maybe the vehicle is light, with a transmission that has high torque multiplication characteristic and geared a bit short (numerically larger ratios) or a very wide range of gear ratios (CVT).

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 14th, 2019, 3:52 pm

kamakazi wrote:There are a couple of components that go into this but I will try and highlight what I have pieced together.
hp numbers by themselves are a waste of time. (Eg. 160hp) the number by itself doesn't tell you anything about how the engine producers this power. Adding information like engine size, fuel type, FI or NA, compression ratio, torque, # of cylinders etc. fills in pieces of the puzzle, and this is only for the engine side.

There is also the transmission, which has various types, different gear ratios with different torque multiplication characteristics. Add to this different Tyre sizes with varying weight and also the weight of the entire vehicle.

Just saying that you think 100hp is not enough or you don't think it is enough kinda ignores the entire picture.

Maybe the vehicle is light, with a transmission that has high torque multiplication characteristic and geared a bit short (numerically larger ratios) or a very wide range of gear ratios (CVT).

Maybe. That’s why you go for a test drive. Also some things too good to be true which is why some question hp figures in a seven seater.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 14th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Same way older SUVs made it with less powerful engines like the Nissan Patrol 2.4 from the 80's, the 99' Grand Vitara 5-door 1.6 (those vehicles are heavier than the Rush). The Voxy 1.8 minivan with 7 passengers hitting the north-south multiple times on a daily basis with no fuss and that is also heavier than a Rush. The Suzuki APV 1.6, those made it up to Maracas and Lady Young normal and those old Datsun 720 pickups with the L18 motor, somehow those were adequate and tuned for load!

The on-going love for HP has allowed vehicles to get more powerful over the years (marketing hype and manufacturers one-upping each other) but with advancements in transmission design, gearing, engine breathing (DOHC 16V twin VVT systems) etc has allowed the Rush to be adequate to conquer typical contemporary challenges of today. Don't forget, just 3 decades ago, having a DOHC 16V head with EFI was considered "exotic" and today's emissions and fuel economy regulations are tough on R&D and engineers. Imagine if we take those older engines I mentioned above like the Datsun L18 and apply the new testing standards to that, the posted HP and torque numbers might drop by 20% or even more.

So yeah, I'm not saying the Rush confirms its name, all i'm saying is that, its adequate and with all this grid-lock traffic on our roads coupled with speed enforcement by the TTPS and the entire motoring public are not sold on CNG and Hybrid technology as yet, the conventional ICE in the Rush with its very fuel efficient nature is something worth considering.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 14th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Also most people might just use it in the city and on our very short highways.

How fast is 200 or more horsepower in traffic; exactly the same as everyone else...

If anything why do people buy these vehicles if they want to transport up to 7 people... Best to get one of those vehicles that most of them taxi men using.
Last edited by kamakazi on May 14th, 2019, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » May 14th, 2019, 9:05 pm

agent007 wrote:You're a bit overzealous there Joshie! No mention of Toyota NA superiority or arguments for and against FI vs NA. The point was quite simple and is one that was noted because it deserved mention. Toyota did well to offer us a NA engine that can produce 170hp without the use of a turbo. Actually, IIRC, this is the 2nd most powerful 2.0 NA motor to ever be imported into this country in a vehicle from the authorized dealership and the most powerful 2.0 ever to be imported by TTTL.

You're right though, its equally as impressive to have small displacement engines putting out the power of larger displacement engines with better torque curve characteristics and I am sure most of us here would much rather FI vs NA but as of late, I am beginning to lean more on NA due to long term reliability, longevity and ease of maintenance.

My humble apologies. I didn't mean to come across in a confrontational manner. When you said 'they did not require a turbo to do so' I assumed that you were 'bigging them up' for this, contradicting your most pertinent point about the 1.5 or 1.6T engines, when in fact you were complimenting them on the ability to produce an engine that can make 170 hp without a turbo.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 14th, 2019, 9:27 pm

agent007 wrote:Same way older SUVs made it with less powerful engines like the Nissan Patrol 2.4 from the 80's, the 99' Grand Vitara 5-door 1.6 (those vehicles are heavier than the Rush). The Voxy 1.8 minivan with 7 passengers hitting the north-south multiple times on a daily basis with no fuss and that is also heavier than a Rush. The Suzuki APV 1.6, those made it up to Maracas and Lady Young normal and those old Datsun 720 pickups with the L18 motor, somehow those were adequate and tuned for load!

The on-going love for HP has allowed vehicles to get more powerful over the years (marketing hype and manufacturers one-upping each other) but with advancements in transmission design, gearing, engine breathing (DOHC 16V twin VVT systems) etc has allowed the Rush to be adequate to conquer typical contemporary challenges of today. Don't forget, just 3 decades ago, having a DOHC 16V head with EFI was considered "exotic" and today's emissions and fuel economy regulations are tough on R&D and engineers. Imagine if we take those older engines I mentioned above like the Datsun L18 and apply the new testing standards to that, the posted HP and torque numbers might drop by 20% or even more.

So yeah, I'm not saying the Rush confirms its name, all i'm saying is that, its adequate and with all this grid-lock traffic on our roads coupled with speed enforcement by the TTPS and the entire motoring public are not sold on CNG and Hybrid technology as yet, the conventional ICE in the Rush with its very fuel efficient nature is something worth considering.

You shouldn't try to justify the Rush so hard... you sound like a Toyota salesman. For almost the same price you can get the Tucson with the 1.6T 170HP, much better looking and feature loaded. If you really need a 7 seater is better you buy a panel van.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 14th, 2019, 10:13 pm

It is a simple case of different strokes for different folks.

I saw the Rush, demo'd it and did not like it. Some people like it possibly because of the Toyota reputation.

Some folks don't like the Korean brands and some do.

Some ppl think a Sorento is the epitome of luxury, and others like me see it as a mid class SUV.

I don't think OP is trying hard to big up the Rush as much as he is pointing out some aspects that may appeal to certain buyers. And as someone said a few posts earlier, what difference does the 107hp in a 1.5 NA engine Vs the 170hp from a 1.6T engine when both going on practically the same roads at the same speed limit and most times in traffic?

And same for the new rav. I for one think it is overpriced, as all the similar SUVs are due to our tax and duty structure but that's just me. Vehicle purchases here are rarely out of function and need and more on impulse and wants...

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » May 15th, 2019, 1:00 am

Gladiator wrote:
agent007 wrote:Same way older SUVs made it with less powerful engines like the Nissan Patrol 2.4 from the 80's, the 99' Grand Vitara 5-door 1.6 (those vehicles are heavier than the Rush). The Voxy 1.8 minivan with 7 passengers hitting the north-south multiple times on a daily basis with no fuss and that is also heavier than a Rush. The Suzuki APV 1.6, those made it up to Maracas and Lady Young normal and those old Datsun 720 pickups with the L18 motor, somehow those were adequate and tuned for load!

You shouldn't try to justify the Rush so hard... you sound like a Toyota salesman. For almost the same price you can get the Tucson with the 1.6T 170HP, much better looking and feature loaded. If you really need a 7 seater is better you buy a panel van.

Doh beat down de man so hard ... He knows that the "Big Boys" from the stealerships does read this post. He also knows that in order for him to get the info that keeps this thread alive he needs to maintain relationships with those said "Big Boys". So double 00 have to throw them a bone or two ... He is also excited and a true enthusiast of the new car market no matter what the make or vehicle type.
He has on a few occasions even stepped out of his bounds to give us some keen insight on the mark-ups on the new vehicle market. So cut de man some slack.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 15th, 2019, 2:36 am

Why thank you gentlemen! Truth is, my avatar is a Hyundai symbol but our vehicles is from several other makers. I cannot show any bias towards 1 brand because I need to be good with all 6 dealership groups in the country (see bottom of the first post). But any kind of feedback whether it be positive or negative, ill take it.

Meanwhile, I am trying to get the inner scoops on whether those said dealers would be getting the new VW Touraeg, Nissan Terra, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Mazda CX-30, CX-8, CX-9, Subaru Ascent, Chevrolet Blazer, Hyundai Kona, Pallisade, Kia Stonic and Telluride. Already I heard the all-new Hyundai Venue would be coming like the new Ford Kuga and Kia Soul but we will not be getting the Nissan Kicks and Toyota CHR.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » May 15th, 2019, 10:29 am

mitsutt wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
mitsutt wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Thanks for the responses.
I was wondering about total cost of ownership of some vehicles as some might think that are saving by purchasing a relatively cheaper vehicle up front, but when parts need replacing (out of warranty) you can end up with very similar costs overall.

Colleague had a Hyundai that required a harmonic damper (crank pulley), wheel hub assembly (abs speed sensor) and other miscellaneous parts which are pretty pricey and not something I think requires changing often but... It needed changing.

My Civic (ek) was purchased at 169000kms and required a whole array of parts... But most were service items.
(Non service items were; idle air control valve, door lock actuator)

Hilux from New and now at 89000kms, only normal service (oil and filters).

Again think you for your responses

This could be a real issue people don't think about.
My current vehicle is a Hyundai Tucson and in 3.6 years I have had to -
1. Repair Thermostop for A/C - warranty
2. Change door actuator - warranty
3. Change A/C Evaporator - not warranty
4. There is a lingering issue with the steering that Massy can't seem to diagnose and I assume I will have to pay to get it checked on the outside
5. Changed battery twice - once on warranty and once after it ended

For a vehicle under 50k Kms and less than 4 years old I shudder to think what happens in a few more years. My brother bought a Qashqai same time I bought my Tucson and he had to change nothing or repair anything other than routine maintenance. Despite having a 2.0l engine as well the Qashqai servicing in Massy was a few hundred less than the Tucson right next door.

What’s the steering issue you are having?

When turning the steering wheel either left or right I hear a slight noise and feel a very very light feedback feeling as if there was resistance on the steering. It is a constant on turning the steering wheel.

Massy say nothing wrong but on turning the steering one should not hear a noise.

I have this same problem.

Purchasing a new vehicle is one thing. Fact is your choices are limited here and when you make that decision I find the dealerships want to take advantage of you even-more after buying. What I do not agree with is that they want to force you to service whether the vehicle needs to be or not and claim it will void your warranty. They do not follow the owner's manual and are just ready to change oils/fluids/filters that are fine and do not even perform the proper change e.g. flushing the brake fluid from the lines (proper way) vs simply taking out what is in the reservoir and adding fresh which is wrong or wanting to align and rotate tires when it is uncalled for (low mileage). A few years back I even marked my oil filter to see if they changed it and they did not but billed me for it. Maybe because the mileage was low they figured they could get away with it. I stopped taking my 2008 Civic for service after that. A lot of items that should be checked/inspected are not which will cost you down the road. The dealers fail to build trust. You hear a noise and they say its nothing which is wrong but once out of warranty they are ready to fix/solve anything.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 15th, 2019, 11:17 am

SLVR1 you are on point!

Concerning the 5,000 change interval for some dealers, they say that T&T is classified as "severe weather conditions" with:
1. A lot of grid lock traffic
2. Poor roads
3. Dusty environment/atmosphere
4. A lot of short stops
5. Temperatures here can get really hot
And many more...

They say the above is hard on oil viscosity and thus justifies the short change interval.

IMO, with true synthetic motor oil, under severe conditions, you can stretch your interval to 7,500kms at the minimum.

Anomaly:
Massy says 5,000kms for their Hyundai's
SS says 7,500kms for their Kia's

Both have the same engines except Kia did not get the 1.6t yet but for the 1.6 Gamma, 2.0 Nu and 2.4 Theta 2 engines, they are shared between the rest of the Hyundai-Kia lineup including the 2.2 td found in the Santa Fe and Sorento.

Try asking for an explanation from the two powers that be and you will come out confused.

Note: I'm assuming SS kept their service interval policy because as at 2016 into 2017, it was at 7,500.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 17th, 2019, 3:00 pm

I believe I mentioned this before... Each party is looking out for their own interest.
The manufacturer wants to sell cars so that market longer oil change intervals and say things like lifetime fluid/no fluid changes required to lower your perceived cost of ownership.

The dealer is trying to make as much money from you as possible so tell you the lowest possible mileage for service, and also tell you your warranty will be void if you don't service by them etc.

Personally I never went back by the dealer to have service done. I used to change oil every 5000kms using conventional oil (these days I'm going up to approx 6500). Don't think my nerve will hold to 10K.

People like to use the arguments of newer oil technology which is probably ok but please don't use the argument of this is what the manual said... cause for them it just has to last the warranty period. They say what they need to say to get cars sold but after the warranty period it is on you or whichever sob you sold it to.

BMW arbitrarily increased their intervals to 15k and then all the plastic parts in their engine started failing prematurely (just after this increase)

Rx-8 owners were recommended 5w20 conventional; so that Mazda could claim better nembers for CAFE. Almost everyone who followed this had to get an engine rebuild at the 100K mileage mark.

This is the new trend.... going after fuel economy; they have reached 0w16 viscosity.

I'm waiting to see how long an engine lasts with that flowing through it.

Who else believes that their transmission fluid is "lifetime" and doesn't need changing until 100000kms or even at all.

Use the manual as a guide but please don't follow it religiously if you want to keep your vehicle much longer than the warranty.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm

well said bro, serious points to assimilate there!

Meanwhile, something interesting is coming:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 17th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Looks Mazdaish

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » May 17th, 2019, 8:17 pm

New Mazda 3 sedan and hatch?

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 18th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Will buy......
mazda-tokyo-auto-salon-cars-1 (2).jpeg
mazda-tokyo-auto-salon-cars-1 (1).jpeg
mazda-tokyo-auto-salon-cars-1 (3).jpeg

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » May 20th, 2019, 12:34 am

kamakazi wrote:I believe I mentioned this before... Each party is looking out for their own interest.
The manufacturer wants to sell cars so that market longer oil change intervals and say things like lifetime fluid/no fluid changes required to lower your perceived cost of ownership.

The dealer is trying to make as much money from you as possible so tell you the lowest possible mileage for service, and also tell you your warranty will be void if you don't service by them etc.

Personally I never went back by the dealer to have service done. I used to change oil every 5000kms using conventional oil (these days I'm going up to approx 6500). Don't think my nerve will hold to 10K.

People like to use the arguments of newer oil technology which is probably ok but please don't use the argument of this is what the manual said... cause for them it just has to last the warranty period. They say what they need to say to get cars sold but after the warranty period it is on you or whichever sob you sold it to.

BMW arbitrarily increased their intervals to 15k and then all the plastic parts in their engine started failing prematurely (just after this increase)

Rx-8 owners were recommended 5w20 conventional; so that Mazda could claim better nembers for CAFE. Almost everyone who followed this had to get an engine rebuild at the 100K mileage mark.

This is the new trend.... going after fuel economy; they have reached 0w16 viscosity.

Who else believes that their transmission fluid is "lifetime" and doesn't need changing until 100000kms or even at all.

Use the manual as a guide but please don't follow it religiously if you want to keep your vehicle much longer than the warranty.
This man preach here! LoL @ tranny lifetime fluid. Madness...

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » May 20th, 2019, 8:23 am

Morpheus wrote:
kamakazi wrote:I believe I mentioned this before... Each party is looking out for their own interest.

This man preach here! LoL @ tranny lifetime fluid. Madness...

People must be quite gullible to believe a fluid can be lifetime. Right now CM wants to service my 6 month old for oil, rotate tires and align but they were hesitant to tell me this. Current mileage is 1,500kms and I told them what good is an oil life meter that has a balance of 2800kms before an oil change is due and the manual under severe says to check the life meter but do not let 1 year lapse for an oil change as Honda full synthetic (5w30) is used. Also, I told the rep. to refer to the 1.5T manual and justify to me then need to change the oil. My former 2008 Civic had a 6mth interval under the severe schedule. Now mind you that I won't wait a year to change to the oil. The service men do not even know how to fill oil since my friend's CRV went to service and the oil should have been filled between the lower and upper marks. Instead, they filled it to the upper mark. That is why I started to do my own maintenance since their "qualified techs" seem to be questionable.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

agent007 wrote:SLVR1 you are on point!

Concerning the 5,000 change interval for some dealers, they say that T&T is classified as "severe weather conditions" with:
2. Poor roads
4. A lot of short stops
And many more...

They say the above is hard on oil viscosity and thus justifies the short change interval.

IMO, with true synthetic motor oil, under severe conditions, you can stretch your interval to 7,500kms at the minimum.

Anomaly:

Both have the same engines except Kia did not get the 1.6t yet but for the 1.6 Gamma, 2.0 Nu and 2.4 Theta 2 engines, they are shared between the rest of the Hyundai-Kia lineup including the 2.2 td found in the Santa Fe and Sorento.

Try asking for an explanation from the two powers that be and you will come out confused.

Note: I'm assuming SS kept their service interval policy because as at 2016 into 2017, it was at 7,500.
This is simply not valid. Independent testing of taxi fleets in Dallas, LA, Miami, and NYC on fleets with vehicles tested to over 100,000 miles individually has shown that maintenance intervals of 5000 miles (8000 km) was conservative and that 8000 miles (12800 km) was more realistic for severe duty, dusty conditions, high temps, and grid lock traffic.

But you will meet the recommended interval so that you do not void your warranty.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 21st, 2019, 10:53 am

adnj wrote:

2. Poor roads
4. A lot of short stops
And many more...

Anomaly:

This is simply not valid. Independent testing of taxi fleets in Dallas, LA, Miami, and NYC on fleets with vehicles tested to over 100,000 miles individually has shown that maintenance intervals of 5000 miles (8000 km) was conservative and that 8000 miles (12800 km) was more realistic for severe duty, dusty conditions, high temps, and grid lock traffic.

But you will meet the recommended interval so that you do not void your warranty.
Can you locate that article... There are so many that use NY taxi cabs

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 24th, 2019, 7:12 pm

kamakazi wrote:
adnj wrote:

2. Poor roads
4. A lot of short stops
And many more...

Anomaly:

Can you locate that article... There are so many that use NY taxi cabs
There are quite a few stories and even more testing of fleets by the OEMs to assess the longevity of engine oil. Manufacturers have moved recommended intervals to 10,000 and 15,000 miles (16,000 and 24,000 km) on many vehicles. Here is a NYC taxi fleet test that recommended 7500 miles (12,000 km) using conventional oil from 1996.

Lubricants have improved since then.

https://www.apnews.com/afd94f38faf468f8c32c30a44589f62c

Another regarding the persistent myth of the severe duty cycle.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 24th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Didn't really want to continue the discussion in this thread as it is dedicated to New vehicle prices

posted my reply in this other thread.

http://trinituner.com/v4/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143144

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » May 26th, 2019, 8:28 am

anyone have the current price of the Velar P300 R Dynamic? not seeing it in the OP

mantis
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mantis » May 26th, 2019, 6:30 pm

What you all think about the BMW X3

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 27th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Unfortunately no, however I was just advised that the 2019 BMW 330i is $635k

A172

Postby A172 » May 28th, 2019, 6:21 am

agent007 wrote:Unfortunately no, however I was just advised that the 2019 BMW 330i is $635k
m sport right?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 28th, 2019, 7:55 pm

It was not specified. When I find out, ill give an update.

bess almera
Sweet on this forum

Postby bess almera » May 28th, 2019, 8:18 pm

That new white 330i m sport looks like it’s worth more than 635k. Damn that’s a classy outstanding machine. The grill was solid looks like it’s functional with open and close feature. Wow.

A172

Postby A172 » May 28th, 2019, 8:52 pm

imagine if ansa had bring the laser lights

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 28th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I was in Trafalgar Motors today and asked for you. The new Velar is $865 g . They say you could come and make the downpayment tomorrow. I'll put the pic just now.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”