TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rebound
Riding on 17's

Re: T&T OFFICIAL new vehicle prices and discussion thread

Postby rebound » July 7th, 2018, 10:17 pm

They are calling it a mini fortuner too...

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » July 7th, 2018, 10:18 pm

carluva wrote:You know that's something i could never understand.... how can someone blindly buy a vehicle without seeing it, driving it or testing it out.

Did not know it was rear wheel drive. Wonder why though.
This guy has faith in the Toyota brand and i am sure he is not alone..

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 8th, 2018, 8:03 pm

The brochure for the Rush indicating rear drum brakes. Toyota fb page has the brochure.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 9th, 2018, 12:00 am

carluva wrote:You know that's something i could never understand.... how can someone blindly buy a vehicle without seeing it, driving it or testing it out.

Did not know it was rear wheel drive. Wonder why though.

Most likely due to Toyota developing this car by borrowing its platform from something else in their line up with rear wheel drive .... like the hilux or fortuna

If this is the case then expect the rear suspension to be utter garbage.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » July 9th, 2018, 5:22 am

Toyota Rush is the Daihatsu Terios 3rd gen ... Then again Toyota owns Daihatsu.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

It's a bit unfair to compare the Rush to a crossover based suv built on a unibody platform. Crossovers would have better handling, braking, ride quality and it has a lower center of gravity. This Rush has a ladder frame chassis where the engine is mounted longitudinally hence the driveshaft at the back powering the rear wheels. Think Suzuki grand Vitara. The information I just received is the grand launch is set for July 20th iirc and the entire first shipment is already booked and sold. The prices will go up after. Personally I would much rather TTTL bring the CHR turbo and hybrid over the Rush but hey more options the better. A Hyundai sales rep told me that the Rush would be short lived since there is a draft feasibility document that exist to justify the importation of the Hyundai kona to TT. Time will tell but the market is heating up!

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 9th, 2018, 10:49 am

That Kona look like one nice vehicle with excellent range . Expect it to do as well as the ioniq

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » July 9th, 2018, 6:05 pm

agent007 wrote:It's a bit unfair to compare the Rush to a crossover based suv built on a unibody platform. Crossovers would have better handling, braking, ride quality and it has a lower center of gravity. This Rush has a ladder frame chassis where the engine is mounted longitudinally hence the driveshaft at the back powering the rear wheels. Think Suzuki grand Vitara. The information I just received is the grand launch is set for July 20th iirc and the entire first shipment is already booked and sold. The prices will go up after. Personally I would much rather TTTL bring the CHR turbo and hybrid over the Rush but hey more options the better. A Hyundai sales rep told me that the Rush would be short lived since there is a draft feasibility document that exist to justify the importation of the Hyundai kona to TT. Time will tell but the market is heating up!
I dont think the Rush is in the same category as the Kona tho....it looks more like the Serena, Voxy kind of thing...thats just considering the dimensions and layout tho.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 9th, 2018, 8:03 pm

0 to 60 in 14 seconds :lol:

Whats even funnier is knowing that, the marketing team went ahead with the name "RUSH" :lol: :lol: :lol:

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

T&T OFFICIAL new vehicle prices and discussion thread

Postby scotty_buttons » July 12th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Lol.
Last edited by scotty_buttons on July 12th, 2018, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » July 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm

drchaos wrote:0 to 60 in 14 seconds :lol:

Whats even funnier is knowing that, the marketing team went ahead with the name "RUSH" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol.

ACT DA FOOL
Sweet on this forum

Postby ACT DA FOOL » July 12th, 2018, 2:53 pm

PariaMan wrote:That Kona look like one nice vehicle with excellent range . Expect it to do as well as the ioniq

The Kona isn't a hybrid, is it?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » July 12th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Yes it is but looking at how the ioniq and the Vezel popular I expect it to take off
And challenge non hybrid

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 12th, 2018, 4:14 pm

drchaos wrote:0 to 60 in 14 seconds :lol:

Maybe in another market it has better performance?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 13th, 2018, 12:33 am

Spoke to a seasoned Toyota sales person earlier today who indicated that the value proposition for the Rush is not straight line acceleration but it's ability to last in this environment of ours. Tropical weather, bad roads, poor fuel etc. He says the cost of ownership is projected to be even lower than the rav4 which is amongst the lowest in the industry.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 13th, 2018, 12:36 am

Ownership of a rav4 is s
Amongst the lowest in the industry?

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » July 13th, 2018, 12:50 am

agent007 wrote:Spoke to a seasoned Toyota sales person earlier today who indicated that the value proposition for the Rush is not straight line acceleration but it's ability to last in this environment of ours. Tropical weather, bad roads, poor fuel etc. He says the cost of ownership is projected to be even lower than the rav4 which is amongst the lowest in the industry.

Lol. Buddy. I have a Rav4. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

And I think we’re more attributing to the irony of its name, given its acceleration.
Don’t think anyone here seriously thinks that acceleration is supposed to be a strong point in a vehicle of this class.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 13th, 2018, 6:35 am

We also have a new model rav4 and thus far it's been flawless but just like our other crossovers too, so from a personal perspective, none seems superior over each other yet. Perhaps the sales guy was talking about cost of ownership as the vehicle ages? But can't we agree that a rwd setup on a ladder frame platform will actually be better suited to our bad roads than the plethora of unibody fwd vehicles out there? I hear the older heads talk about they miss the days of laurels and royal saloons etc where those cars required less suspension work than a typical fwd car. Anyhow, I am really excited about the Rush and can't wait to check it in person. For me it's like finally buying a Suzuki APV but with added and much needed ground clearance!

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » July 13th, 2018, 6:58 am

Agree with those sentiments and i too am eager to see the rush. Some ppl dont care for speed or acceleration. Other features matter and appeal. Lets not forget the famous Jetta which touted a great engine, 1.4 turbo and supercharged. But mechatronics issues were rampant. So yeah, I'm ok with 0-60 in 14 seconds if it means i can own a vehicle for at least 5-7 years with only routine maintenance and replacement or wear and tear parts and consumables. Definitely beats owning a speedster where i have to replacement mechatronics after two years, clutch after two years and who knows what else in addition to the routine maintenance and wear and tear parts and consumables.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » July 13th, 2018, 7:24 am

Bunny, is your Jetta they talking about there ?

While I agree with the RWD sentiments and it’s a big improvement in looks and features over the previous Terios, that power and acceleration in 2018 is unacceptable in my opinion. A stock B14, which we still have, that was in purchased in 1998, 20 years ago, had more acceleration than that.
Even worse, what if there are 5 people in the rush? Or seven? I think it’s severely underpowered which can be a safety issue in itself. A 7 seater SUV with the same engine as a Yaris? Nah man.
Overtaking anything gonna be a real dangerous task in that thing.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 13th, 2018, 7:35 am

scotty_buttons wrote:Bunny, is your Jetta they talking about there ?

While I agree with the RWD sentiments and it’s a big improvement in looks and features over the previous Terios, that power and acceleration in 2018 is unacceptable in my opinion. A stock B14, which we still have, that was in purchased in 1998, 20 years ago, had more acceleration than that.
Even worse, what if there are 5 people in the rush? Or seven? I think it’s severely underpowered which can be a safety issue in itself. A 7 seater SUV with the same engine as a Yaris? Nah man.
Overtaking anything gonna be a real dangerous task in that thing.

Mechatronics replaced. Water pump replaced twice. Hoodliner replaced. Radiator replaced. Gearbox replaced with new one.

After all that I’m still not buying anything that takes 14 seconds.

Goal is to blend fun to drive with reliability.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 13th, 2018, 8:25 am

My lil ole 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer does about 12-15k km a year and doesn't even cost 1.5k in maintenance even with the odd parts that would need replacing which is few and far apart. What the france really going on?

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 13th, 2018, 8:49 am

Dave wrote:My lil ole 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer does about 12-15k km a year and doesn't even cost 1.5k in maintenance even with the odd parts that would need replacing which is few and far apart. What the france really going on?

Izza euro.... never as reliable as a jap .... all fun but at a premium price ....

A33_VQ35
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby A33_VQ35 » July 13th, 2018, 11:07 am

timothymcdavid wrote:Toyota Rush is the Daihatsu Terios 3rd gen ... Then again Toyota owns Daihatsu.

Can't see this being a 3rd Gen to the terios. All terios models was 4wd, short wheelbase rugged suv. The fu terios was called the rush, but this looks like a whole new vehicle class. Seems like a creta class vehicle...

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 13th, 2018, 9:32 pm

agent007 wrote:Spoke to a seasoned Toyota sales person earlier today who indicated that the value proposition for the Rush is not straight line acceleration but it's ability to last in this environment of ours. Tropical weather, bad roads, poor fuel etc. He says the cost of ownership is projected to be even lower than the rav4 which is amongst the lowest in the industry.

Sales people (esp. toyota sales people) don't know anything technical about the cars they are selling, they know the car exists and they know about their commission from selling said car.

The straight line acceleration is just an indicator of performance ... I am really worried about this thing being able to make it up hills loaded, also if you think 0 to 60 in 14 seconds is slow ... Repeat that test when the car is loaded. Also the ability to accelerate quickly has saved my life a few times in avoiding accidents, imagine making a split second decision to accelerate out of a dangerous situation but you literally go no-where when you mash the X. The car is rear wheel drive which is inherently more unstable and than a front wheel drive car and add that to drum brakes and the safety proposition of this car stinks.

I consider small sedans with 1.5 to 1.6 liter engines slow and those cars can pull the 0 to 60 in 10 to 11 seconds. So we are talking beyond slow here.

Lastly reliability, this car is built in Indonesia, the RAV4 is built in Japan ... There is a big difference in cars built in third world countries vs first world countries. Running a large car with a small low HP engine puts alot more strain on said engine than a RAV4 with its 2 L which means weaker reliability. People buy Toyota's with resale in mind .... I doubt the resale on this will be able to match the bread and butter toyota vehicles.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 13th, 2018, 9:34 pm

What planet he living on pal.... the Rav 4 is a damn expensive vehicle to own and maintain.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » July 14th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Gladiator wrote:

What planet he living on pal.... the Rav 4 is a damn expensive vehicle to own and maintain.
Any specific model? Or all of them?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 14th, 2018, 9:15 pm

I know the new ones especially. Have a neighbour and when I hear what she spends, I can't believe it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 15th, 2018, 12:09 am

Gladiator wrote:

Might have to take the dealership out of the equation to achieve low maintenance figures.

Don't know how the price of parts compare though... And again take the dealership out of the equation where it makes sense.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » July 15th, 2018, 9:44 am

kamakazi wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Might have to take the dealership out of the equation to achieve low maintenance figures.

Don't know how the price of parts compare though... And again take the dealership out of the equation where it makes sense.
Even with the dealership in the equation, its just slightly higher than a corolla or yaris to maintain....

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”