TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK - Recommended resilient paint / clear coat?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

WTK - Recommended resilient paint / clear coat?

Postby Tired Accord » October 18th, 2013, 9:28 am

Yow fellas. I am trying to find out some information regarding automotive paints and in particular - the clear coats that are available here. I had my car painted in Jan of this year and up to now - I have gained some scratches on my doors due to tricycles moving in and out of my garage :oops: :(. My painter sourced the paint materials and he said he used "PPG". In most cases the clear is scratched, but in a couple of spots there are slight gouges in the paint work too :x :x :x

I suspect that my problem is (apart from the tricycles and their respective drivers) is the (a) thickness of the clear applied, and / or (b) the resilience of the clear.

I have another car which I need to flash over, but I want to make sure I go with a strong system this time.

What recommendations you all have for paint - and/or clear coat systems that are available locally - that won't break the bank.....? Meaning - brand and line / series.... TIA.

Advertisement
cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTK - Recommended resilient paint / clear coat?

Postby cinco » October 18th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Glasurit clears are supposed to be very strong. The issue lies locally with the painters most cars get 1-2 coats of clear when 5-6 would be ideal in terms of durability.
As with everything else painting is a money making venture a 5-6 clear process will take 2 weeks in just clear l-dry-sand-clear

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » October 20th, 2013, 6:38 am

Thanks Cinco. I'd heard about Glasurit being very good yeeaarrsss ago - but as you said - it's the amount of coats.

So should I buy the base clour in one brand, but get the clear in Glasurit?

Any idea on the price of these things per quart and how many quarts of paint and clear should be needed for a standard size sedan?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » October 20th, 2013, 7:51 am

Speak to your painter some painter prefer one brand over another. Paint is NOT paint. Painters used to a brand know how to apply and mix certain brands as opposed to others.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”