TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Project GTiR SR20VET Road and Circuit

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Re: Project GTiR SR20VET Road and Circuit

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2018, 12:23 pm

It's been some time but things have been progressing slowly, funds are not readily available as I have more urgent stuff with my son but I just haven't got around to update this post.
Side mount GTX3071R with custom intercooler piping, you can also see the five lug conversion as well
External Wastegate piped back into the exhaust, will make another with a screamer pipe to swap as well
Last edited by TriniGT on January 17th, 2018, 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Things left to do,
1. Bolt in the cage
2. Have a second cross bar installed on the cage
3. Swirl Tank Fuel Setup
4. Finish hydraulic e-brake setup with new Skyline Brakes
5. Install custom engine harness with AEM infinity
6. Find and fit Front seats
7. Install Defi Gauges
8. Finish exhaust work
9. install either fender flares or metal wide fenders
10. Paint
11. Tune Management

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Brake Upgrade,
Wheels Fitted,
Another Engine Bay shot semi-completed,

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » January 17th, 2018, 2:06 pm

good update...really hope things pull through with your son...still have that gorgeous F30?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2018, 2:29 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:good update...really hope things pull through with your son...still have that gorgeous F30?

F30 gone a while now, guy took off the lower springs and stunting it like a high roller :? . Half the money already gone in medical expenses. But I wouldn't do it any other way, family first.

Company is providing a car, so at that point my daily forester will be up for sale as well.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Has all the STi spats and front lip as well. This pic was from before all was installed.

FugiTECH
punchin NOS

Postby FugiTECH » January 17th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Hows it going bro. Nice Updates

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 22nd, 2018, 8:55 pm

sry to hear.

whatever happened to the skyline you was building with the rb26? the one that you bought with the fully build block ect? That was one of the best build treads i ever saw along with the s15.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 26th, 2018, 10:04 pm

That S15 still have meh heart.I wonder where it is today

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 29th, 2018, 9:47 am

The Grey S15 was rear ended and repainted in Blue, the R32 is still down but not out. Once the GTi-R is complete and I can find some finances I will get her up and running. It needs to have the rear quarters glasses removed and some rust fixed and then get some other areas blasted and treated and touch-up and then complete the mounting of some small items and fit management and startup. Not much but everything takes time and money and my priority right now is my son.

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » March 27th, 2018, 9:44 am

Very good project my friend, looks excellent. I've always wanted to do the X-Trail VET in my Pulsar

I'm really curious to see more details about how you got the 2 piston Skyline brakes to fit on the rear. Adapter?

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » March 31st, 2018, 2:20 pm

Oh yea, I forgot to ask, does the VET plenum have the same throttle body bolt pattern as other SR engines? Or is it bigger like a Q45?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm

The VET plenum is pretty small hence the Xcessive upgrade with the Q45 throttle.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » April 16th, 2018, 11:08 am

Who did the welding and offering up of the IC piping and manifold?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 29th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Mechanic did the setting up of the FMIC, manifold is not local but had to be modified for my application as I am running a/c. Wastegate plumbing had to be rerouted. Jimmy does all pipe welding for me. I just gave some of it some elbow grease after but when all is done it will be done over again.

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » May 22nd, 2018, 7:29 am

I'm really interested in seeing the details of how you mounted those rear calipers and exactly what hubs you're using. I know TDMi and Stracher both make 5 lug conversions, but yours don't look new, did you take them off another car?

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » May 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am

TriniGT wrote:Received this two weeks ago,
And fitted,

All I am needing now is the necessary banjo bolt for the Titlon hydraulic release bearing and then I can run the braided lines and bleeder setup for the release bearing and then engine can be fitted.

Exciting times!

I'm a bit confused also. This OS Giken twin disc has an integrated flywheel (I know, I have a super single), how did you mount that to an Xtrail VET crank? I though only the GTIR has m11 Flywheel bolts and all others have M10? Does the Xtrail use 11mm bolts?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » July 6th, 2018, 11:07 am

It was a direct boltup, my setup may a bit different using a hydraulic release bearing, but on the flywheel side as far as I remember there were no issues

dubUteeEFF
Riding on 13's

Postby dubUteeEFF » July 9th, 2018, 8:53 pm

RNN14Wolfe wrote:I'm really interested in seeing the details of how you mounted those rear calipers and exactly what hubs you're using. I know TDMi and Stracher both make 5 lug conversions, but yours don't look new, did you take them off another car?

Did you ever get a response to your question or find out what he did for the conversion?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » July 19th, 2018, 2:00 pm

dubUteeEFF wrote:
RNN14Wolfe wrote:I'm really interested in seeing the details of how you mounted those rear calipers and exactly what hubs you're using. I know TDMi and Stracher both make 5 lug conversions, but yours don't look new, did you take them off another car?

Did you ever get a response to your question or find out what he did for the conversion?

Sorry for the late response have not been on all the time.

The lug setup was a conversion using yes, brand new Stracher 5 lug conversion with extended studs and new wheel bearings all around. The brake upgrade I used ER34 GTT front and rear brakes. The rear required a custom dogbone bracket to not only space the caliper outward but to also offset it properly for the proper clearance for the rotor discs.

I have condemned the rear brakeshoe setup and will be using the hydraulic setup only with the Driftworks Wilwood cylinder setup that carries a manual lock position. The latch is really for staging but I will fabricate something to keep the latch in a more fixed position when parking it as other factory cars come with the hydraulic ebrake setup as standard so I am not seeing a problem there.

Hoping to have the braking system sorted in a week or two. Really concentrating on getting things in order for my son before anything else but at this point I think I have everything for the car to get it up and running. Only things left to spend on at some point would be seats and some minor exterior mods like fender flares or slight tubbing of the metal fenders. Will get pics at some point when I am in a better frame of mind to concentrate on the car, take care.

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » August 2nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

TriniGT wrote:It was a direct boltup, my setup may a bit different using a hydraulic release bearing, but on the flywheel side as far as I remember there were no issues

You may want to double check that. The GTi-R uses M11 flywheel bolts, all other SR20 use M10. I see in the picture that twin clutch was actually FOR a 54C GTi-R SR20, you're going to have slop in between the bolts and flywheel holes. I had that issue before and had to have a machine shop make 1mm thick bolt collars to shim the space.
Your VET X-Trail engine uses M10 flywheel bolts. I ran into this when I did a VET in a GTi-R a few years back. My only option was to with get bolt shim collars made to use 10mm bolts (which I did cause i'd already bought an Rnn14 OS Super single), or switch to an S13 Flywheel with GTi-R clutch discs. Someone told me you could machine the VET crank for m11 bolts, but when I brought it to the machine shop, they told me there isn't enough material to cut new threads, they would have had to weld up the holes and re-machine them from scratch. I figured there wasn't much of a difference between M10 and M11 bolts to justify the cost, and I was right, it was never an issue, so I just had the machine shop make me some 1mm thick, 20mm long spacer collars to go over the bolts.

Edit: I tend to repeat myself lol

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 21st, 2019, 5:37 pm

RNN14Wolfe wrote:
TriniGT wrote:It was a direct boltup, my setup may a bit different using a hydraulic release bearing, but on the flywheel side as far as I remember there were no issues

You may want to double check that. The GTi-R uses M11 flywheel bolts, all other SR20 use M10. I see in the picture that twin clutch was actually FOR a 54C GTi-R SR20, you're going to have slop in between the bolts and flywheel holes. I had that issue before and had to have a machine shop make 1mm thick bolt collars to shim the space.
Your VET X-Trail engine uses M10 flywheel bolts. I ran into this when I did a VET in a GTi-R a few years back. My only option was to with get bolt shim collars made to use 10mm bolts (which I did cause i'd already bought an Rnn14 OS Super single), or switch to an S13 Flywheel with GTi-R clutch discs. Someone told me you could machine the VET crank for m11 bolts, but when I brought it to the machine shop, they told me there isn't enough material to cut new threads, they would have had to weld up the holes and re-machine them from scratch. I figured there wasn't much of a difference between M10 and M11 bolts to justify the cost, and I was right, it was never an issue, so I just had the machine shop make me some 1mm thick, 20mm long spacer collars to go over the bolts.

Edit: I tend to repeat myself lol

Hmmm, I will look into this as I was not present when the clutch was fitted, thanks.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”