TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Project GTiR SR20VET Road and Circuit

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Project Daily Driver / Drag and Wind - GTiR SR20VET

Postby black start » September 18th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Looks good man...

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » September 20th, 2014, 6:55 am

As stated the engine is dropped out and yesterday it was scrapped to see what was the culprit. First of all the we were lucky only bearings and crank were at fault because the state of the engine it could of been worse. Incorrect bolts, torque values and parts along with blanked hoses etc. all played a part to failure. The issue at hand for the engine is bearings, crank and rings. Engine came with rocker stoppers, CP pistons, stock rods, a RWD Apexi Metal headgasket, ACT clutch and pressure plate and lots of missing stuff. Although I am not putting back this engine in the car I am going to fix it and then sell it over as it is a decent spec once done correctly. I already picked up a replacement crank thanks to Naeem, got a water pump as the other one seem to started weeping already, now just to get standard size main and connecting rod bearings, OEM headgasket and a standard turbo setup. The current turbo, some chinese equivalent will be selling and also the modded GTiR manifold with external 38mm Tial Gate. It will be a bit expensive to rebuild but I don't want to be selling someone a cat-in-bag scenario. The harness to will get some love as one or two pins are not fitting correctly and that will be repaired.

Plan for the engine bay is to remove everything inclusive of ABS and brakelines as it seems that the engine bay was sprayed and everything was painted. I will remove them and rub down the entire engine bay and patch where needs to patch and drill accordingly for piping and then prime and paint and clear the engine bay. I have already sorted a front windscreen rubber setup from Japan, just need to removed the windscreen and see if there is any rust underneath it. After that I will be getting the interior and underneath sorted to try to make it as rust-free as possible using the wire cup brush and taking it from there. I already received yesterday from Josie a 6 point bolt-in cage that I will be test fitting today to ensure that it is fitting properly. If I do get a chance I am going to be in the bamboo trying to get a 5 lug conversion for the car, thinking an A33 setup for the front or if possible an entire GT4 W11 five lug setup as I think that will be the closest think for an easy swap. Any help on this part will be grateful as this is unchartered territory for me. Wheels have already been purchased so it has to happen lol. Updates to follow.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » September 20th, 2014, 11:08 am

saw this on fb

Jim Barclay
14 hrs
Hey fellahs...I'm selling my Nissan Pulsar Gti-R engine, reason for sale i am always on work and car remains parked up in my yard and i cant enjoy it... engine has Garrett GT28 or Disco Patatoe, Tial external wastegate, extractor type manifold, two sets of injectors original 440cc and aftermarket 800cc, intercooler and piping, BOV,original LSD gearbox with original OEM LSD axles, ACT pressure plate and copper clutch.. engine is very powerful and works excellent !!!! Thanks in advance..

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 20th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Thats the gtir engine that came with the vehicle you talking about or the vet?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » September 21st, 2014, 12:34 am

Ted_v2 wrote:Thats the gtir engine that came with the vehicle you talking about or the vet?

That's the four throttle pulsar SR20DET that came with the car originally. The VET will be swapped in but I don't want to sell someone something that isn't working so whoever is getting the fourthrottle will definitely be a happy camper. They will be getting forged pistons, OEM headgasket, new OEM standard size main and connecting rod bearings, rocker stoppers, ARP headstuds that also came with the engine, ACT clutch and pressure plate that are practically new, complete working harness, MAF and Fields ECU and also a original pulsar T28 and manifold. I am totally confident in my builder as he is thorough and very clean. Block will be cleaned and oil pump mounted and checked for straightness and also the head, once good then the rebuild will begin.

On another note, I spent the entire afternoon stripping the engine bay and also fitting the rollcage and I must say the day went well. The engine bay has a lot going on and I see a lot that needs to be done in regards to cleaning the brake and ABS lines and whatnot but the engine bay seems in good order besides the couple areas that were butchered to run intercooler pipework, the guy that did the install used a torch to make way for pipework and also use the torch on the reinforcement for the bumper to fit the R32 GTR FMIC. We already lined up the sidewinder manifold as the VET and the DET and VE exhaust ports line up differently, we were in luck and no additional porting is needed for the exhaust manifold, it was a perfect fit :D . Some pictures,

Engine scrapped,
Once cleaned CP 86.5mm piston, new rings will be ordered as several of them were broken, block bores were all fine.
Cage fitted,
Not the best angles but the fitment was decent, will be cleaning the flooring this week and ensure there is no rust, treating the areas and coating and then refitting drilling and using reinforcement plating to the underside for the cage. If needed later on will also weld boxes to the lower legs for a weld in cage.
Front-end semi-stripped,
Hard to see due to lighting but fully stripped front-end,
Torched intercooler piping holes :evil: ,
Driverside,
Passenger Side,
In one of the pics you will also notice that the lower radiator support bar may have been jacked on so I will get a straight metal bar and beat it back straight. Also the Power Steering setup will be revamped to incorporate a Trust Oil Cooler with-8AN fittings and braided lines and the cooler will be relocated to the driverside fender well area. The passenger side fender well too will get an oil cooler setup for the engine oil to breathe. I need to recoupe some cost so need to tackle the old engine and sell but for now I will do what I can myself free of charge and with the help of my trusty mechanic/friend.

Today hopefully I can dedicate some time to the R32!!!

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » September 21st, 2014, 1:02 am

Forgot to show the rear custom dogbone mount for the engine, the front didn't have any at all :shock: .

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » September 23rd, 2014, 10:16 pm

So today we decided to do more investigating as to what needs fix-ur-uppin. I removes the front fenders, needless to say nearly all the fender bolts were seized and broke off, so they all need re-drilling and re-threading. There was light surface rust but what needs immediate attention is the door hinge area, lower seam area and under chassis and floor areas, see below.
Then I ventured to the lower driverside pillar to see what needed doing, I removed the door inner rubber, metal rubber trim holder and then ventured by the front windscreen. No wonder there was a slight leak, the entire two side of the pillars were not even being sealed. The driver side has a lot of rust and the polyurethane sealant crumbled under investigation. I removed the cowl panel to see what there was, everything in good order besides the metal finisher over the wiper motor. Will need to replace as soon as. One more pic showing state of the pillar after removing all of the filler used to hide the real condition.
I have already booked the car to go in to have the areas sandblasted and patched i.e. intercooler piping holes, pillars, lower seams, interior floor areas etc. Pics once completed. The fenders will not be done as they will be altered for the fenders flares later on.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » September 27th, 2014, 9:25 am

Okay so with all the rust I encountered I decided it was entirely out of my hands, I decided to put the car in the hands of Marcus at TG Motorsports. The plan is for him to tackle all the rust spots in the engine bay, interior and also under the car. He will also be patching the big gaping holes where the two intercooler pipes were run. I removed the original torched front bumper reinforcement bar and fitted the replacement one from the nose cut but the replacement is rusted a bit so I will get that fixed one time. We had to then refit the front shocks with spindle and wheels and also the steering rack. Some pics below but not the best.
Interior entirely clear,
Sorry Nick but I like a clean car with minimal stickers,
Car out in the open waiting on the wrecker,
I have to get the front lower radiator bar straightened as well,

jasonxxx
Riding on 13's

Postby jasonxxx » December 7th, 2014, 3:25 pm

any updates?? nice work so far.... are u selling d SR20 DET complete with gear box ?.... if so price?.... thx

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » December 7th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Once rebuilt I am selling the engine, harness, airflow, ECU, etc. Gearbox I am using and also turbo setup will be sold separately.

Down with chick v so not got a chance to do much.

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » December 13th, 2014, 9:59 pm

details on evo in the back?

COROLLA KID
Riding on 16's

Postby COROLLA KID » December 26th, 2014, 12:26 am

Nice GTiR, but if i were you I would of try to bring the car back to original condition on the exterior "no crazy body kits" but add a few extra features like diffusers and some carbon fiber parts, engine and suspension performance wise, go crazy...lol..and don't forget the roll cage.....nice project :)

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » January 1st, 2015, 6:35 am

Inside.

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » January 3rd, 2015, 2:58 pm

Subscribed! your builds are always amazing to follow!

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » January 3rd, 2015, 2:58 pm

Subscribed! your builds are always amazing to follow!

NXTREME
Riding on 17's

Postby NXTREME » January 13th, 2015, 2:02 pm

*subscribed*

Kinday
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Kinday » January 13th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Nice build....Always loved the GTiR

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » January 13th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Hopefully some updates weekend, will spray the engine bay and start to mount back the hardlines and whatnot.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » February 1st, 2015, 9:20 pm

Forgot to take pics of when I got back the pulsar. Finally got a couple of hours to purple blast the engine bay and take it out to in the sun and let it dry and apply some rattle can gloss black to the engine bay. Only one pic for now, I have dropped new harness and hardlines adn brake booster to be installed. Hoping for updates next Saturday.

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » February 8th, 2015, 8:08 am

TriniGT wrote:Finally got a couple of hours to purple blast the engine bay and take it out to in the sun and let it dry and apply some rattle can gloss black to the engine bay.

What paint brand of paint did you use also did you have to apply a clear coat ?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » February 8th, 2015, 9:34 pm

I used some cheap rattle can from Tiny's for now. Will see how it holds out, car is black so shouldn't be too bad.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 26th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Has been some time, finally starting back my projects. Got my GTi-R gearbox back from reinforcing, reason for this is that they are known for either cracking the bellhousing or stripping the gears at anything over 400HP.

Next thing on the list will be par gearset and lastly installing the outgearbox brace, should be good for around 450HP and some local circuiting. I have already secured an 11 point cage, decided to ditch the back seat and trunk parts, will leave the interior basic but still have it to drive as a daily with A/C. Will look at rewiring the entire car and running a swirl tank setup to the rear with an external pump setup.

I have received my five lug hub setup a while now and in the process of ordering all new uprated bushings for the front of the vehicle, OS twin disc with a Tilton hydraulic clutch setup. Have a set of Tein coilovers as well so the plan is once the engine and gearbox have been installed and the five lug hubs installed and wheels fitted and ride height set then I will take the car over to have the fenders widened as I want a proper stance for full width tyres.

Currently looking for some not so overpriced front and rear skyline calipers, hopefully R34 GTT calipers. Plan is to fit the rear using a dogbone setup and ditch the standard handbrake setup and install a hydraulic ebrake setup. I have my Wilwood brake bias setup as well to install and tweak for circuiting as well. Management will be AEM, toying with going infinity right now and maxing out its capabilities. Time will tell.

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » April 6th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Sweet!!! I thought you gave up for a minute there lol

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 15th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Powerflex Black Series polyurethane bushings and engine and gearbox mounts CHECK!!!! Tomorrow I need to pickup a pair of braided lines for the hydraulic release bearing. Once completed the gearbox can be mated and engine installed in the engine bay. Eventually once I can afford the upgraded gears I will drop everything and install and maybe do some more upgrades, maybe even forge the bottom end and make it more bulletproof.

gabozciVET
Riding on 13's

Postby gabozciVET » September 13th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Hello friends greetings from Costa Rica. I have a query, I have a project unassembled box and differential nothing GTI -R , send SR20VET buy the engine, gearbox GTI -R if you fit into this engine ?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » February 4th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Okay it has been quite some time, projects have been parked up but decided to make the effort to get them up and running. I bit the bullet and decided to get the GTi-R on the road first.

Things ordered as of recently, OS Giken twin disc R2CD aluminum race setup, Xcessive intake manifold with Q45 Flange and 45* throttle body setup. Will look something like this,

Plan is to keep it simple and functional, stock SR20VET from X-Trail.

My Plan,

X-Trail SR20VET Engine
ID 1000CC injectors
GTX3071R Turbo
Trackforged Sidewinder Custom Exhaust Manifold - Proper Radiator Clearance
Trackforged Downpipe
Trackforged Custom FMIC with piping
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Tial Q BOV
Water pump block-off with electric setup
Koyo Radiator
AEM Infinity ECU
GTi-R gearbox with Stracher weld-in Plate
Outer gearbox brace
OS Giken R2CD Twin Disc setup
Tilton Custom Hydraulic Release Bearing Setup
Hopefully PAR Gearset for the least (Not looking at anything over 500HP)
Xcessive Intake Manifold with Q45 Flanger and 45* pipe for throttle body
Replacing all bushings with Power Flex Black Series ones
Cusco lower front LCA brace
Tein Coilovers
Skyline Front and Rear brake setup with custom handbrake/brakeshoe setup
Braided lines all around
Cusco Front and Rear Strut Bars
Cusco Dash Dodger Roll Cage with extra braces for added reinforcement
Currently looking for two Bride Seats, either low max or regular gradation
FRP Bonnet
FRP Trunklid
Custom Defi Instrument Cluster and additional Gauges
Quick Release Steering Setup
Custom Swirl Tank setup with external Bosch Fuel Pump
Battery Relocated to the rear and to balance weight
Buddyclub P1 Wheels 17X9.0 +17mm
5 Lug Conversion
Custom Metal Bodywork or may just opt for Fender Flares
Swirl Tank with Bosch 044 External Fuel Pump

I am sure I am missing some odd things but that's it in a nutshell. Pics will follow in the weeks to come.

Will be tackling the interior first until the clutch arrives and intake manifold.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by TriniGT on April 7th, 2017, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Project GTiR SR20VET Road and Circuit

Postby shogun » February 6th, 2017, 12:29 am

Good luck man.

Subscribed.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 2nd, 2017, 4:25 pm

Finally got time to pickup my fiberglass bonnet and trunklid.

Just have to pass by Nick to get the gtir CP rings for the gtir engine rebuild which will be for sale shortly after. Any interested parties please message me, will come with stock gti-r rods, CP forged pistons, ACL main and connecting rods bearings, stock headgasket, thoroughly cleaned head with rocker stoppers, will check if there is cams but I don't think so, stock exhaust manifold with external Tial gate welded on and some sort of aftermarket turbo, also a field ecu to switch between maps. I would recommend a powerfc or safc or emanage for it to get proper/safe results. Will also through in an ACT pressure plate with clutch disc with news street organic pads and flywheel, no gearbox

Received my xcessive manifold with vband setup and piping for q45 throttle. OS clutch setup is proving to be difficult and has an extra 2 month waiting period for a couple parts. I will continue with reinstalling the dashboard and fitting the roll cage and swirl tank and whatnot and from there decide if I am going wide body or just Bolton fender flares.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » May 21st, 2017, 1:51 pm

Received this two weeks ago,
And fitted,

All I am needing now is the necessary banjo bolt for the Titlon hydraulic release bearing and then I can run the braided lines and bleeder setup for the release bearing and then engine can be fitted.

Exciting times!

RNN14Wolfe
Riding on 13's

Postby RNN14Wolfe » December 19th, 2017, 3:21 am

I've been following your thread for quite awhile and decided to join and post.

How are you along on this project?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”