TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Help With Grand Vitara Fog Light Install.

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Help With Grand Vitara Fog Light Install.

Postby DVSTT » December 13th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Lately I've realised that the stock headlights on my vitara are inadequate, not producing enough light for me to be comfortable when driving at night, as a result, I switched over to 100w Halogens as the had the relays, but the light output still wasn't up to mark. The lenses are clean, no hazing so that isn't an issue

I've considered a variety of options,
1) I didn't want to go HID PNP as people who have those often frustrate me on the road and as the saying goes, do on to others.....

2) OEM fog light install, but I can't seem to find an OEM suzuki kit, only the aftermarket chinese kits, whose quality I'm not too sure about.

3) Retrofitted projector, probably the best option I have, but I can't justify spending $2000+ on the van at this point in my life, neither am I 100% comfortable with opening the housing.

Fast forward to today, I saw that retrofit source has the OEM LED fogs from the 2014 X5 for sale, for just $60.00, well in my budget

The light output from them is very impressive

After googling for some hours, I came across quite a few persons who were successful in retrofitting the fog lights into vehicles that weren't BMW, apparently all they need is a standard H11 connector and some modified brackets, which shouldn't be too hard to find.
This option seems to be a relatively cheap way to achieve the desired outcome, but I'm just not sure as to whether or not it will fit into the openings in my van's bumper.

Can anyone on the forum be of any assistance to me on this matter? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I don't have much hands on experience on this matter.

Thanks

EDIT
Found a online guide to install fogs for the van, hella micro DEs in this case.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006-gr ... ation.html

Also found a thread of the X5 fogs in a durango
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/dura ... alled.html
Attachments
IMG_20141031_123221107.jpg
This is the van as it sits now (minus the halloween fangs)

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Re: Help With Grand Vitara Fog Light Install.

Postby tourniquet » December 13th, 2014, 4:23 pm

have a GV which came with the fogs already, but I had to replace one after it somehow got shattered :S removed the old one, got the part number and ordered it online:
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-088358-Driv ... al_qh_dp_i
LSM wanted >$800 for it btw
does yours come with the harness in place? if it does, I'd take the OEM route. If it doesn't, then you need to cater for those as well; the X5 fogs appear to be lights only too. Then you need to source a switch for it; I believe the SX4 might have the same switch.
lol @ halloween GV though :lol:

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 13th, 2014, 4:48 pm

tourniquet wrote:have a GV which came with the fogs already, but I had to replace one after it somehow got shattered :S removed the old one, got the part number and ordered it online:
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-088358-Driv ... al_qh_dp_i
LSM wanted >$800 for it btw
does yours come with the harness in place? if it does, I'd take the OEM route. If it doesn't, then you need to cater for those as well; the X5 fogs appear to be lights only too. Then you need to source a switch for it; I believe the SX4 might have the same switch.
lol @ halloween GV though :lol:

I believe mine came with the fog lights wiring, as I have these 3 pin jacks on both sides attached to the headlight wiring.
Can't I use a universal fog light switch, like the ones that take the place of the blank to run the fogs? Also can I somehow adapt the existing harness from the 3 pin to an H11 harness to just plug and play? The X5s I believe will show better than the OEM zukis, and also at $60.00 a pair are a lot cheaper. I just don't know if they will fit or if I'm looking over some technicality with respect to wiring.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Plastic-She ... ght+switch
Attachments
IMG_20141213_164220214.jpg

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » December 13th, 2014, 9:47 pm

wiring looks a bit different from mine; I believe mine has a 2 pin connection. Hopefully some other 2nrs can weigh in and let you know if that can be easily modified, as it appears the X5 ones might be 2 pin as well.
Wish I could be of more help, but this was my only experience with the GV foglight.

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » December 14th, 2014, 3:04 am

You are not alone I myself have two Vitaras and the lighting with fogs needs improvement. My temp solution thus far, installed Philips Diamond Vision Halogen HID Super White 5000K bulbs in one for low beam and fogs it has made a vast difference in comparison to the other but my lights on both have started oxidising so I've been seeking a upgrade so I'll be following this.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 14th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I spoke to retrofits but he had no info on the x5 fogs or whether they'd fit or not. For $60.00 they should cost me $800ttd total so if it doesn't fit I suppose I could resell them and break even. Is there any sort of adapter for the plugs I have to get them to h11?

Worst case scenario and they don't clear the bumper opening, what will be my options?

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 14th, 2014, 1:35 pm

The lens area of the X5s is 102mm x 96mm

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 14th, 2014, 1:37 pm

You are wasting time with foglights if you need adequate lighting. A retrofitted headlight is all you will need. Don't you need eye level lighting increased?
BTW you missed out on the retrofit source thanksgiving sales you cud have gotten headlight projectors for around 70

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 14th, 2014, 6:10 pm

cinco wrote:You are wasting time with foglights if you need adequate lighting. A retrofitted headlight is all you will need. Don't you need eye level lighting increased?
BTW you missed out on the retrofit source thanksgiving sales you cud have gotten headlight projectors for around 70

After measuring the space for the fogs, the X5 ones don't look like they would fit. I guess I got to save up for retrofits :?

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » December 14th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Doing your own retrofit on headlights when you buy the stuff during the thanksgiving sale with a group of 5 or more can cost u as little as 600 ttd landed.
And takes about 4 hours to do depending on how much customization u want to do when u open the lights.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » December 15th, 2014, 7:46 am

cinco wrote:Doing your own retrofit on headlights when you buy the stuff during the thanksgiving sale with a group of 5 or more can cost u as little as 600 ttd landed.
And takes about 4 hours to do depending on how much customization u want to do when u open the lights.

That's the price of the entire kit? Wow I missed out.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » February 3rd, 2018, 8:01 am

Just an update,
Got some brand new LED projector foglights with DRL for the vitara, swift and swift sport for sale.
$1200 for the pair
Plug and play install

466-2025
Attachments
sfsdffs.png
rwrwrw.png
fasadada.png

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”