TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Towing a trailer?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Towing a trailer?

Postby Ted_v2 » April 3rd, 2016, 7:12 pm

Whats the legality behind towing a trailer? also does it need to be certified like with number plates and stuff?

im needing a trailer these days and thinking about building one and attaching it to my car. I dont have a van and sometimes need to haul the occasional crap around.

something like this would be perfect.
thoughts, ideas? advice.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Re: Towing a trailer?

Postby zoom rader » April 5th, 2016, 7:13 am

Trailers laws are in the motor vehicle act which give you the legal dimensions .

Basically you need a registered trailer by licence office. Same as a car. You must have certified copy and chassis number issued by LO.

Must have lights as a car and over a certain weight it's needs brakes.

Also insurance companies will only insure it you have a T vehicle pulling it and both vehicle insured with them.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 5th, 2016, 7:43 am

Also note that Licensing Office will not register/license a "home made" trailer anymore.
It now has to be imported I am told.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 6th, 2016, 11:03 am

moti wrote:Also note that Licensing Office will not register/license a "home made" trailer anymore.
It now has to be imported I am told.

Well that's a gray area, cause burger carts and boat trailers are still being built here are getting licenced.

I think bigger trailers with brakes are the issue here and it's all due to the law on local assembled vehicles for RORO market.

You can't assembled a knocked vehicle, which means a local built trailer is not a knocked down vehicle . So that's why it's a gray area and small time licencing officers don't really understand the law.

I built my own trailer about 17 years ago and there was never an issue with it. It's a bit a hassle to get it licensed as it can take a month as licencing officers will find some small faults with it and tell you get it sorted, In my case it was the braking system.

Don't take the word of junior licencing officers , will be better to seek advice from Snr Officers.
When I built mines I spoke to the officer in charge San Do at that time, who referred me to another Snr Officer that dealt with trailers, he was the only officer at that time knew about trailers and only him could licence it. Not sure if it has changed by now

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 6th, 2016, 11:13 am

So dumb; people in charge of the law, whom don't understand nor even know the law

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 6th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Have to import it otherwise won't be licensed.

But this is Trinidad. I see guys towing boats on trailers that really shouldn't be on the road at all, no license plate or anything with guys in the boat blasting music going down the road and police don't ever seem to be able to find them.

Also have seen people towing their circuit cars on the road with just an on tow sign so basically you could do what ya want and if you get caught then you have to worry.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 8th, 2016, 2:08 pm

pete wrote:Also have seen people towing their circuit cars on the road with just an on tow sign so basically you could do what ya want and if you get caught then you have to worry.

I have also seen this and was wondering if I could have constructed one and use via the same method.
But I am still looking into all the possibilities before shelling out the cash to build.
Will be used maximum twice a month (on a Sunday).

I just don't want any run in with the law at this time.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 8th, 2016, 7:39 pm

pete wrote:Have to import it otherwise won't be licensed.

But this is Trinidad. I see guys towing boats on trailers that really shouldn't be on the road at all, no license plate or anything with guys in the boat blasting music going down the road and police don't ever seem to be able to find them.

Also have seen people towing their circuit cars on the road with just an on tow sign so basically you could do what ya want and if you get caught then you have to worry.

Trailers are still being licence bro, it's just that u can't bring scrappy built trailers without brakes to licencing office. What you need is have your trailer plan over viewed before you build it to make sure it is within specks according to motor vehicle act on trailers

Some boat trailers are classed as "pole trailers " and I think they don't need a number plate.

You can tow a car, providing the tow rope is in a certain length I do believe you have to prove that the car is handicap.

We have dumb laws

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 9th, 2016, 6:53 am

I really need to get to the bottom of this.

I see many burger karts built and the design and welds and extremely poor. Just a on tow sign and they driving. Spoke to a burger kart owner and he never had any problems towing this with his van. No problems and he pulling with a p vehicle also. No problem with the law.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 9th, 2016, 3:36 pm

I know one case of a trailer that was professionally built by a national sporting body for transport of equipment around Trinidad and Tobago and even with assistance of the Ministry of Sport they still refuse to license the trailer. It has brakes, lights and proper drawings and still they refused it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 9th, 2016, 7:30 pm

pete wrote:I know one case of a trailer that was professionally built by a national sporting body for transport of equipment around Trinidad and Tobago and even with assistance of the Ministry of Sport they still refuse to license the trailer. It has brakes, lights and proper drawings and still they refused it.

Well this is where the gray area comes in as to the RORO laws, " No local assembled of knock down vehicles"

But still have a look around and u will see new Plates on Burger/food carts, even Rota Plastics Tanks have their trailers licensed. I guess it all depends on which officers dealing with the case.

Again dumb laws, best go Grenada build ur trailer and ship it under Caricom free trade agreement. Now thats an imported Trailer.

Its a good thing I never sold my Trailer, I probably use it 3 times a year and sometimes on a PJ for friends

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 9th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:I really need to get to the bottom of this.

I see many burger karts built and the design and welds and extremely poor. Just a on tow sign and they driving. Spoke to a burger kart owner and he never had any problems towing this with his van. No problems and he pulling with a p vehicle also. No problem with the law.

Bro wait till Licensing officers hold them in a road block, then they will see what time it is. You can get by with police but not with Licensing officers .

I have been stopped a few times with my trailer by LO , all my paper work is in order , they will ask for Insurance and Inspection cert of both vehicles. If you dont have any of the two especially insurance you Vehicle staying right there untill wrecker comes for it and a charge. If you dont have Inspection cert u can get a charge or a date to appear for inspection or court.

You can pull with a P vehicle as there are no laws against it.

However insurance companies will void your trailer insurance if found pulling with a P vechice

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 10th, 2016, 8:39 am

Might makes more sense to sell my Laurel and buy a small van. Right now I now load up my tools two generator heads vice ect.

Sent from my GT-I9060L using [url='https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=639']TriniTuner mobile app[/url]

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 10th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:Might makes more sense to sell my Laurel and buy a small van. Right now I now load up my tools two generator heads vice ect.

Sent from my GT-I9060L using [url='https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=639']TriniTuner mobile app[/url]

Try an L300 or those pannel vans, they more secure from prying eyes

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 11th, 2016, 9:10 am

Yuh really put up de car for sale?

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 11th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Have a few other things to do with it and I'll post it up.

Got two other 4 door cars so I won't be missing much

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 12th, 2016, 1:22 am

I saw a Laurel this morning with ah L24 for sale on fb so I say is you.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 18th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Nah. Mines still in primer.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 19th, 2016, 8:57 am

Still confused though if brakes are of a concern to LO, then why allow trailers to be licensed in the first place?
Only vehicles that are equipped with Air Brakes will be able to operate a trailer with brakes as it will not be as simple with a hydraulic system.

And what makes them so sure that an imported trailer is safer than one constructed by say...SMI Industries or a company of the like.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 24th, 2016, 5:18 am

Our company has a trailer with hydraulic brakes manufactured locally by Tropical Engineering. That was a long time ago though so it's licensed and goes for inspection. Problem is for new trailers for some reason.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » May 2nd, 2016, 5:17 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-63153-Rambler ... ch+storage

Best option for you

Pricesmart use to sell it a while back; not sure if they still have in stock

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » August 14th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Saw a Ironton 4ft x 8ft one for sale..$8000..registered TDD