TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

should i save the extra or buy a regular car and still save after for the desired car

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

should i save the extra or buy a regular car and still save after for the desired car

Postby philliprock » February 26th, 2017, 12:02 pm

i dont know alot about cars, i probably have maybe a total of a week driving experience , in my whole lifespan.
im saving up to 35K for an aesthetically beautiful, durable, function-able car.
however i dont know what to do first, since i barley know to drive, i should drive something somewhat small and in expensive, but i know after i buy it im stuck with it for a few good long months, and i would start cringing, spending my hard, long hours earned money for something i dont like.
what do you guys think?

additional information:
i have in mind a cedia gdx lancer, madza protoge, & a honda accord in mind, its my preferences. i dont even mind paying the extra sum of money.

ive searched on trinituner and asked people on the subject and most people requested i should consider nissan's line of cars, that is the most favorable are the B13s B14 (A classic) and the Almera, surprisingly hardly people recommended me a B15.

dont want to bash nissan but i do hate nissan products, most of my friends have nissan cars i hate it, not to mention its 'bandit magnet. i personally have been literally harassed by guys in nissan, seen many guys pulled over by police in a B-something car, my blood doesnt entwined with those nissan cars to well.

also im 6'2 feet so i like leg room an spacious cars, nissan just doesn't quite make it for me, unless its like a 2007 onwards model.

however the aforementioned cars are quite nice, and spacious.

ive already saved for a unexpected problems in the future, aside from insurance.
i keep my stuff in almost pristine conditions so i know/hope i have a good chance to maintain it.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Re: should i save the extra or buy a regular car and still save after for the desired car

Postby racedriverpro » February 26th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Buy a y11...I knw u hate Nissan but I believe that u may be happy with a new car to ur liking and would recommend that u get one once u can afford it but u don't have enough driving experience. A y11 in my view would be good for u to learn, parts cheap, and they don't give that much problems and would cost u less overall in maintenance and fuel. The cars u like will be costly to maintain based on the condition and service history. I can also guarantee that you won't get back anything close to what u paid for any of them. The y11 will sell faster closer to what u paid for it but don't spend unnecessarily on it. Use that money when u sell as a down payment on ur new car when u ready.

It's good to understand yourself and I see that u try to maintain a certain standard on the things u own. Don't get caught going after something u like and having to spend alot to bring it up to ur standard. Can't get better than new. Not saying u should be a sufferer eh. Good to see u thinking before u leap.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Re: should i save the extra or buy a regular car and still save after for the desired car

Postby supercharged turbo » February 26th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Almera would be my vehicle recommendation.Parts easily available and it doesn't cost much to maintain.The cars you like are more expensive to maintain and certain parts maybe harder to find and/or expensive.Stick to Nissan for the time and as you gather more experience on the road and funds later on,you can opt for a vehicle of your choice if you so desire.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » February 27th, 2017, 10:03 am

I hate nissan as well, but from a maintenance and repair pov its the way to go. Spend 40k, get a good one from an old guy who maintains his car and dont drive past 100kph and unmodified.

Parts for the older B14/13 getting harder to find so B15/Almera/Y11 is the best bet.

zyde09
Riding on 13's

Postby zyde09 » February 27th, 2017, 10:09 am

You completely left out toyota's. I believe the toyota corolla ae111 is of that price range and they drive really well and are good cars all round.
They are more expensive to maintain than nissan but less expensive than your other considerations.
As for leg room, you should be able to fit.

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Re: RE: should i save the extra or buy a regular car and still save after for the desired car

Postby vct17inch » February 27th, 2017, 10:25 am

philliprock wrote:i dont know alot about cars, i probably have maybe a total of a week driving experience , in my whole lifespan.
im saving up to 35K for an aesthetically beautiful, durable, function-able car.
however i dont know what to do first, since i barley know to drive, i should drive something somewhat small and in expensive, but i know after i buy it im stuck with it for a few good long months, and i would start cringing, spending my hard, long hours earned money for something i dont like.
what do you guys think?

additional information:
i have in mind a cedia gdx lancer, madza protoge, & a honda accord in mind, its my preferences. i dont even mind paying the extra sum of money.

ive searched on trinituner and asked people on the subject and most people requested i should consider nissan's line of cars, that is the most favorable are the B13s B14 (A classic) and the Almera, surprisingly hardly people recommended me a B15.

dont want to bash nissan but i do hate nissan products, most of my friends have nissan cars i hate it, not to mention its 'bandit magnet. i personally have been literally harassed by guys in nissan, seen many guys pulled over by police in a B-something car, my blood doesnt entwined with those nissan cars to well.

also im 6'2 feet so i like leg room an spacious cars, nissan just doesn't quite make it for me, unless its like a 2007 onwards model.

however the aforementioned cars are quite nice, and spacious.

ive already saved for a unexpected problems in the future, aside from insurance.
i keep my stuff in almost pristine conditions so i know/hope i have a good chance to maintain it.

You know nothing about cars but u hate Nissan? U hate an entire company because Trinidadian people choose economical, reliable, cost effective cars produced by that company? I'm not a Nissan fan boy but educate yourself. Nissan has pushed the limit in innovation and performance in the Japanese markets.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » February 27th, 2017, 8:26 pm

I would consider a Honda - I've Ek3s in okay condition, and parts seem easy to come by. For some reason, the ES8s don't see to hold value. Another nice car i like is the Primera (P11s) seeing them for about 30 -40 and as high as 50K they were once great cars but not sure about the maintenance and my final pick would be an AE111 Corolla.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 28th, 2017, 11:03 am

I have ah EK3 and its very reliable.Parts are easy to find and it has good resale value

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 28th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Buy ah ae110. 101 b15 or Almera. Slap in car search and get a decent mechanic to do a fluid change on everything.

All above are extremely reliable

zyde09
Riding on 13's

Postby zyde09 » February 28th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Yeah one of the ae corollas / b15 or almera.. everything else is pocket busting. And as comfortable ride goes, nothing in that price range beats the ae corolla.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 28th, 2017, 6:57 pm

As I am watching the options you are looking at...I say save the extra that is needed to acquire one of the cars that you listed.

Would advise some caution with the Honda. Essentially Honda did their own thing automatic transmission wise and also put double wishbone suspension on their cars... Decent for road racing... Expensive to service. Handling isn't meant for the beginner either.... But if you already knew these things... Don't let my words dissuade you.

CVT in the lancer, if it comes with that, doesn't like to be driven hard and can be problematic if not serviced properly.

Just for your information

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » March 1st, 2017, 11:29 am

triniboi49 wrote:I would consider a Honda - I've Ek3s in okay condition, and parts seem easy to come by. For some reason, the ES8s don't see to hold value. Another nice car i like is the Primera (P11s) seeing them for about 30 -40 and as high as 50K they were once great cars but not sure about the maintenance and my final pick would be an AE111 Corolla.

they are still great cars, i have one going on 10 years, the car is actually 18 years old from YOM.

still going strong, parts are available, and not expensive to maintain.
There are different versions of the p11, so you knowing nothing abt cars, you should take your time and pick wisely.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » March 4th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Another great low maintenance car is a 2003 323 the last model before the Mazda 3. I had one of those and I had 0 problems.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » March 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm

philliprock wrote:i have in mind a cedia gdx lancer, madza protoge, & a honda accord in mind, its my preferences. i dont even mind paying the extra sum of money.

cedia gdx lancer - You will want to stay away from CVT transmissions as they are quite expensive to repair/maintain.

madza protoge - Nice cars, these came with the 2.0 engines. However parts are getting tuff to obtain from bamboo for these 323's.

honda accord - Unless it's post 2008 then you must be aware that parts are a bit difficult to obtain and quite expensive.

I would advise you to save (as you want to reach a budget of 35K) more.
A budget of 40-50K will allow you to purchase a nice E120 Corolla (aka NZE Corolla).

This car has plenty of leg room and is more suited to someone who prefers to not drive a Nissan.
Parts are still accessible in both Bamboo and local parts shops, and are moderately priced.

When you are buying your first car but you have little to no experience in cars, its advisable that you stay away from older cars as they will require more maintenance and therefore you may end up either getting ripped off by mechanics or simply get frustrated and sell therefore standing a chance to lose more than you initially invested.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”