Car Tint Advice

sls

Car Tint Advice

Postby sls » November 20th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Good day tuners. I require some car tint advice.

Do the car tints usually offerred provide UV protection? Is there some way to tell?
Is there one type better than the rest?
Best tint place(s) in South?
Any way to guarantee a legal tint level like a certificate from the person doing the tint, or is it really up to the whim of the police?

Re: Car Tint Advice

Postby Kronik » November 20th, 2017, 3:37 pm

sls wrote:Good day tuners. I require some car tint advice.

Do the car tints usually offerred provide UV protection?
- there are different types of tint that offer different levels of UV protection, you average $250 whole car tint job will offer some protection, there are high performance times however that are supposed to offer like 90% protection against heat and UV rays

Is there some way to tell?
- not really by just watching it, unless you walk out in the sun with a piece then you can probably tell a difference in how much heat/light you feel from behind the tint

- I used llumar brand tints before, had an ok experience but it had some fading, I went to tint nation and they used a brand name SunTek, I did two vehicles in that about 2-3 years ago, no noticable fading so far, so I'm happing using that brand

- I could only recommend a location in central

Any way to guarantee a legal tint level like a certificate from the person doing the tint, or is it really up to the whim of the police?
- there is no official legal tint percentage, 35% is a safe legalish percentage, 20% you may get issues if it's a van or if you have black interior and you bounce up a a$$hole police

Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » June 2nd, 2018, 3:28 pm

Most of them fkin tint men pulling con sayin they hav bess tint wen is cheap crap they using. Bring in yuh own tint

Rayden6

Postby Rayden6 » October 21st, 2023, 12:30 pm

Which tint brand is better Midas or Solar gard in their High Performance grades?

Postby SMc » October 27th, 2023, 11:37 am

^^ Never came across Midas but Solargard is a well respected brand so if it were me I would go with them. 3M also has some really good film but you need to pay for it.

on another note reading the reposes to OP's questions :( some suspect answers there- I know its an old post but may as well update the responses as its now near the top and someone comes across it. My notes in blue below

Kronik wrote:

- there are different types of tint that offer different levels of UV protection, you average $250 whole car tint job will offer some protection, there are high performance times however that are supposed to offer like 90% protection against heat and UV rays
All reputable Auto Window Films (AWF) offer circa 99% UV rejection even the clear security ones. Reason being is that AWF is made from polyester which is inherently not UV stable so UV blockers are placed within the adhesive to stop the film breaking down. Plenty people assume UV=Heat which is incorrect ,they are the frequency that contributes to skin cancer, tanning, exposure of scorpions hiding in your bed and if you getting horn etc-but heat comes from the visible light & near infrared of the solar spectrum (about a 50:50 split). Saying that UV is partially responsible for fading so having a tint will help with this.

- not really by just watching it, unless you walk out in the sun with a piece then you can probably tell a difference in how much heat/light you feel from behind the tint
Yes- once again any reputable AWF will have a product bulletin/technical data sheet which will give indicative figures of Visible Light Transmitted (VLT), Glare reduction, heat gain reduction. In many cases the number in the AWF film name relates to how much light is let through- the lower the number the darker the film.

- I used llumar brand tints before, had an ok experience but it had some fading, I went to tint nation and they used a brand name SunTek, I did two vehicles in that about 2-3 years ago, no noticable fading so far, so I'm happing using that brand
Llumar, Suntek, 3M, Solargard- plenty to choose from. Just find the one that gives the best balance of what you are looking for- just stay away from the no-name/wrong spelling on the box/out of date stuff

No clue

- there is no official legal tint percentage, 35% is a safe legalish percentage, 20% you may get issues if it's a van or if you have black interior and you bounce up a a$$hole police

There is an official legal tint % but this varies depending on what glass on the car.
-Front and rear windscreen- must have a minimum VLT of 75% with the only exception being a 15cm band across the top of the windscreen to help with glare, this must have a minimum VLT of 35%
-Front windows (driver and passenger between A & B pillar) minimum VLT 35%
- B pillar go back- minimum VLT 20%

I have seen certificates offered in other countries, these were offered by higher end installation companies. but failing this there are portable devices that can measure the VLT- maybe ask and they have one?

I done

Postby Kronik » October 27th, 2023, 7:21 pm

SMc wrote:^^ Never came across Midas but Solargard is a well respected brand so if it were me I would go with them. 3M also has some really good film but you need to pay for it.

on another note reading the reposes to OP's questions :( some suspect answers there- I know its an old post but may as well update the responses as its now near the top and someone comes across it. My notes in blue below

Kronik wrote:

All reputable Auto Window Films (AWF) offer circa 99% UV rejection even the clear security ones. Reason being is that AWF is made from polyester which is inherently not UV stable so UV blockers are placed within the adhesive to stop the film breaking down. Plenty people assume UV=Heat which is incorrect ,they are the frequency that contributes to skin cancer, tanning, exposure of scorpions hiding in your bed and if you getting horn etc-but heat comes from the visible light & near infrared of the solar spectrum (about a 50:50 split). Saying that UV is partially responsible for fading so having a tint will help with this.

Yes- once again any reputable AWF will have a product bulletin/technical data sheet which will give indicative figures of Visible Light Transmitted (VLT), Glare reduction, heat gain reduction. In many cases the number in the AWF film name relates to how much light is let through- the lower the number the darker the film.

Llumar, Suntek, 3M, Solargard- plenty to choose from. Just find the one that gives the best balance of what you are looking for- just stay away from the no-name/wrong spelling on the box/out of date stuff

No clue

There is an official legal tint % but this varies depending on what glass on the car.
-Front and rear windscreen- must have a minimum VLT of 75% with the only exception being a 15cm band across the top of the windscreen to help with glare, this must have a minimum VLT of 35%

I have seen certificates offered in other countries, these were offered by higher end installation companies. but failing this there are portable devices that can measure the VLT- maybe ask and they have one?

I done

To your last point with the tint percentage, it was never passed into law I believe, that's why they still charging you under the old tint law, they using the proposed percentages as guidelines.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing it in any MVRTA amendments

Postby hustla_ambition101 » November 20th, 2023, 8:21 pm

Kronik wrote:
SMc wrote:^^ Never came across Midas but Solargard is a well respected brand so if it were me I would go with them. 3M also has some really good film but you need to pay for it.

Kronik wrote:

No clue

I done

To your last point with the tint percentage, it was never passed into law I believe, that's why they still charging you under the old tint law, they using the proposed percentages as guidelines.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing it in any MVRTA amendments
No tint ticket currently existing as rohani and crew fk up tbe legislation....cud double g5 down with no consequence