TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Selling a car for scrap

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Selling a car for scrap

Postby sotf » August 17th, 2018, 12:02 pm

1. Do you have to inform license office if I am selling a car for scrap?
2. Are there any steps to take to ensure that the car is not going to be used on the road by the buyer?

The car is a c62A Lancer. It cannot be driven as it needs repairs so I don't want to have to deal with a transfer if I do not have to. Thanks.

moti
punchin NOS

Re: Selling a car for scrap

Postby moti » August 20th, 2018, 9:51 am

Simple, just cut out the chassis number and remove the detail plate (the plate with engine/model/paint/chassis/etc).
Also your registration (number plates).

It will then just be a car with no way of tracing the registration...this way you will be sure that the plates can't be used by the buyer.

Also, it's not really the norm to inform licensing office. It should be, but you will need to have a disposal certificate amongst other things to present to them so they can remove the car from their records.

sotf
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sotf » September 28th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Thanks.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » September 29th, 2018, 5:00 am

^^ Sounds good.
Many years ago, my dad sold a charmant as scrap and didn't notify licensing office. Years passed and one day a police officer showed up at our home and was summoned to court as the car was involved in an accident and he was the last registered owner. Luckily, he had his sale receipts but had to plead guilty for ignorance of law and was fined for failing to notify license office the vehicle was sold as scrap. Just goes to show it is possible for it/chassis no to be back on the road.

$h0Ck@
Street 2NR

Postby $h0Ck@ » October 3rd, 2018, 9:08 am

d.d.s. wrote:^^ Sounds good.
Many years ago, my dad sold a charmant as scrap and didn't notify licensing office. Years passed and one day a police officer showed up at our home and was summoned to court as the car was involved in an accident and he was the last registered owner. Luckily, he had his sale receipts but had to plead guilty for ignorance of law and was fined for failing to notify license office the vehicle was sold as scrap. Just goes to show it is possible for it/chassis no to be back on the road.

Charmant from Barataria that ended up in Arima by Toolsie? PAR I think?

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » March 12th, 2020, 2:00 am

What is the correct procedure with regards to transfer/license office for selling a car as scrap? Is it handled as a regular transfer where both seller and buyer have to be present at license office?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”