TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Random suggestion on course design

Official Solodex Forum -
Please visit www.carstt.com for more info on Autocross (aka Solodex)

Moderators: CarsTT, CARSTT SoloDex, 3ne2nr Mods

Mr. Fixables
Trinituner Peong

Random suggestion on course design

Postby Mr. Fixables » March 23rd, 2010, 8:24 am

Hi all,

Just an observation up here in the SCCA Atlanta Region.

Instead of the stop box at the end of the course, after the lights trip at the end of the course, they put up a sharp turn or a quick chicane to slow the cars down instead of having the "lock-up" at the end of the course.

The cones after the lights will still count as part of the course so will attract the same penalties as hitting a cone on course.

I think this may be a good way to conserve tires for the racers.

Comments?

Kirk

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » March 23rd, 2010, 8:46 am

I think the problem is space. And from the last dex, it could lead to dangerous spins, with all the gravel. Finally, I would say another benefit of this is preventing glazing of brake pads, because you will never have to stand on the brakes to stop.

evo8u
Riding on 13's

Re: Random suggestion on course design

Postby evo8u » March 23rd, 2010, 5:32 pm

Mr. Fixables wrote:Hi all,

Just an observation up here in the SCCA Atlanta Region.

Instead of the stop box at the end of the course, after the lights trip at the end of the course, they put up a sharp turn or a quick chicane to slow the cars down instead of having the "lock-up" at the end of the course.

The cones after the lights will still count as part of the course so will attract the same penalties as hitting a cone on course.

I think this may be a good way to conserve tires for the racers.

Comments?

Kirk

Kirk,
actually any cone after the finish is 4 points not 2.

I did observe the last event locally, and yes as stated space is an issue and agree totally with you that complete stop is additional wear on the car as well as a safety issue in event of brake fade or brake fail.

with my course design experience when working with tight lots, i tend to put a key west or Chicago box before the finish which would slow down the drivers .

Cheers

Mr. Fixables
Trinituner Peong

Postby Mr. Fixables » March 24th, 2010, 8:56 am

Agreed.

It is just that the ARC course is so hard on tires as it is, that any help I am sure will be appreciated by the Dexers.

I do believe that we need to put a chicago just before the end, and place a hard 90degree turn to slow the cars after the lights.

What region did you run in the US?

I am currently running in the Atlanta Region and the Chattanooga, TN region this year.

I must say though that as time goes by, I do miss home more and more. Maybe I should move back home and terrorize you guys again. LOL

I would have to find a new weapon of choice :) Maybe bring back out a wicked automatic to show the auto guys how it is done LOL

FYI. I still do own Casper!!

Kirk

evo8u
Riding on 13's

Postby evo8u » April 8th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Mr. Fixables wrote:Agreed.

It is just that the ARC course is so hard on tires as it is, that any help I am sure will be appreciated by the Dexers.

I do believe that we need to put a chicago just before the end, and place a hard 90degree turn to slow the cars after the lights.

What region did you run in the US?

I am currently running in the Atlanta Region and the Chattanooga, TN region this year.

I must say though that as time goes by, I do miss home more and more. Maybe I should move back home and terrorize you guys again. LOL

I would have to find a new weapon of choice :) Maybe bring back out a wicked automatic to show the auto guys how it is done LOL

FYI. I still do own Casper!!

Kirk

Kirk,
sorry for taking so long to respond, work has been in the way of having fun...lol

Was a member of Florida Region for 12 years then switched to Dixie for 7 before i moved back home in September 2008.

G

Advertisement

Return to “CARS - Autocross (Solodex)”