TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Marshaling at Autocross

Official Solodex Forum -
Please visit www.carstt.com for more info on Autocross (aka Solodex)

Moderators: CarsTT, CARSTT SoloDex, 3ne2nr Mods

CARSTT SoloDex
3NE 2NR for life

Marshaling at Autocross

Postby CARSTT SoloDex » May 6th, 2014, 12:11 am

Evening to all members and tuners alike. As experienced from time to time at autocross rounds , between the runs groups it is at times difficult to get persons posted to handle the marshaling duties at the different spots on the course.It is customary at SCCA Autocross events that the drivers who race also have to take turns handling marshal duties or additional roles such as announcer or spotter etc. Put forward for discussion here to the membership , your feedback is being sought on this item as we try to make the system more progressive so as to have the events run smoothly and not be held up for lack of marshals. One proposal was the return of the points system awarded as was in previous competition years. Feel free to post here or PM your suggestions,and we can arrive at a solution together.
Thank you for your support :D .
CARS AUTOCROSS

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Marshaling at Autocross

Postby pete » May 6th, 2014, 7:23 am

The racing Sunday was really kept back because very few people volunteered to marshal.

I know in the past people have said they have a genuine fear for their safety as a marshal and it's something that really needs to be taken into consideration. There's not much we can do to stop an out of control car other than just not be in places where that happens. So when doing the track layout the marshalling points should be laid out in the safest places to help with that. The four spots we normally marshal at may not always be the safest place to be.

I know we traditionally have had 2 run groups but with the increase to 6 runs per person for the day, the time the marshals have to be outside is up 50%. I know it takes time to get people to walk back and forth but maybe the classes could be split into 1/3s instead of 1/2s and do three run groups to reduce the time people are out in the sun.

How long did it take to go through each run group? To me with starting the cars every 35 seconds this event went very quickly but it's sometimes much longer. Nobody wants to stand up in the sun for an hour as I'm sure I've done in the past as well as many others so a lot of people prefer to stay under the tent. The less time someone has to marshal the better to me.

zakowski
Street 2NR

Postby zakowski » May 6th, 2014, 7:36 pm

I understand what you are saying Pete.Do you think it would be better for the persons marshaling in lieu of their positions being safer view from the container balcony where they can see the whole track and when perhaps we have radio communication they can report it to the timing tent.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » May 7th, 2014, 2:30 pm

i like that idea Ramon
to be honest that sun was brutal my cold water went to boiling hot in the time i was sitting out there.

only problem i can forsee with that is how do you flag a dnf or obstruction on the course for the driver to see?

zakowski
Street 2NR

Postby zakowski » May 7th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Perhaps one marshal could be on the ground in a safe spot at least.

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » May 7th, 2014, 6:25 pm

To be honest on the track i dont see the marshalls flags when im driving.

zakowski
Street 2NR

Postby zakowski » May 7th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Really ? well i would think because you are focusing on driving your line and that is understandable .

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » May 7th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Im sure i am not the only person who shares this view. I might see an obstruction before i even see the marshall. Unless they are posted at the apex of slowest turns of the course that might be the only way imma see them

zakowski
Street 2NR

Postby zakowski » May 7th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Others what are you thoughts on this topic?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 8th, 2014, 7:35 am

Don't forget marshals are also there to fix the course when someone knocks down cones. That's another reason why they need to be in close proximity to the track.

Dave-ve
Trinituner Peong

Postby Dave-ve » May 8th, 2014, 10:38 am

Does anyone know the cost of a folding tent? A 6×6 tent can be set up in the marshalling area. Renting a tent for marshalls at every event will be expensive.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » May 9th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Blue and I were discussing at the event on Sunday.

What about 1 free fun run for those that marshal?

The points are a great idea, but for those that are not eyeing championship or the novices can enjoy a fun run at the end of the event.

Pete idea is good for the 2 runs per class X 3 times on the day.
However if the marshals don't come up then that now means that instead of 4 times it's now 6 times the begging for marshals will need to occur.

Me, I marshal once per event.
The sun does not allow me to do it twice.
There are more than enough people for each driver to marshal once.

Advertisement

Return to “CARS - Autocross (Solodex)”