Forums

Componants vs DJ spkrs

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MonsterPower
punchin NOS

Componants vs DJ spkrs

Postby MonsterPower » December 16th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Ok i doh care that this topic has been discussed b4 but it pissing me off to read some of these new topics

Some guy asked for a decent system in his tiida and some arse come and bawl 18 sound or m&m

since when u have a system of 1 12" and u need all those big big mids speakers ???cant a well chosen set of componants or coaxials keep up with the bass??

now i am not bashing the sound off crew who wish to be the loudest in a show ...an talking about the installers and so called "installers" who give this advice to the regular "joes" out there who just want to drive around with a better than average sounding system .

Over the past few days i have been doing alot of driving around and hearing pple blasting their systems and gosh most of these systems sound horrible... mids screaming .. tweeters galore and bass just booming .

ok enough of my rant i goin back in my corner

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Componants vs DJ spkrs

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » December 16th, 2011, 1:29 pm

oh gorm u doing like u now come from foreign oar - dise d norm for like d past 10+yrs

when u go to any round d corner "installer" or "audio store" & ask for mids for ur car d foss ting they tell u to put is 2 6" M&Ms with 2 NB1 or 2 bullet tweeter , not to mention ah pwm20

trini get so much like that ^ too & even in my store is a normal thing ppl asking for

bad advice from padnas too who say dise what they shud use so they come asking for it

said it b4 long time i used to refuse to carry M&Ms & such but way too many requests so i saw d lost of considerable $ there , i always ask if they want to car speakers 1st & if thats what they insisting for then say what : i selling ... :lol:

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » December 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm

RCF or die trying...

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » December 16th, 2011, 1:40 pm

MonsterPower wrote: bass just booming .

Bess 8-)

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » December 16th, 2011, 2:24 pm

ooonce ooonce

Patman
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Patman » December 16th, 2011, 4:11 pm

lol @ M&Ms....... chocolate speakers

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » December 16th, 2011, 4:53 pm

8-) Don't be hating, man. 8-)

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » December 16th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Lol. I asked this at the IASCA SQ event on Sunday. It baffles me as well. I could never understand why you would need all that for a single entry level subwoofer.

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » December 16th, 2011, 5:06 pm

If they`re comfortable saying "eh? eh?" at everything by the time they`re 40. jokes on them.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » December 16th, 2011, 5:42 pm

and why do they use car subs?

DJ subs will perform much better since its basically a free air environment

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » December 16th, 2011, 5:50 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:and why do they use car subs?

DJ subs will perform much better since its basically a free air environment

wut free air environment how?

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » December 16th, 2011, 6:25 pm

oh, was referring to all the doors open and windows down

car show dealie

nigel1977
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nigel1977 » December 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Its a lack of education, and a trini mentality that better can be had for cheaper.

Don't like what I just said. Too bad. The truth offends.

MonsterPower
punchin NOS

Postby MonsterPower » December 16th, 2011, 11:43 pm

nigel1977 wrote:Its a lack of education, and a trini mentality that better can be had for cheaper.

Trini's have money dey nigel is de ignorance part .. if ah dj usin it den it hadda be loud ..

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » December 16th, 2011, 11:57 pm

MonsterPower wrote:
nigel1977 wrote:Its a lack of education, and a trini mentality that better can be had for cheaper.

Trini's have money dey nigel is de ignorance part .. if ah top compition car usin it den it hadda be loud ..

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » December 17th, 2011, 10:54 am

trinis jes like ah setta fackin loud ole noise

perfect example to see this wud be in d carshows , everybody & dey breda have 2 box with 2 M&Ms & 2 bullet tweeter on top d hood blasting distortion in ur face & u not even hearing whatever d bass they have , u have to go up near to see if they even have bass playing & and u know what i does try to understand : men standing up normel right next to d boxes which by their heads & my ears being irritated 40+ft away , dise d trini culture for ya

yes if ur bass really loud & it needs d loud mids\highs to keep up & it sounding good & clear then i dont have any problems with such systems ... :|

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » December 17th, 2011, 11:15 am

cant blame some installers. My cuz started a smallinstall shop and customers took their business elsewhere because he did not recommend dj type speakers. business buss because people wanted the "backdashfullahspeakas" installs.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » December 19th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Componants vs DJ spkrs

whats a componant speaker? :lol:

Honestly its what one is exposed to & what is the norm where one comes from. There was a time when I though a pioneer deck, pwm20 preamp, boss ch1000, pair of eminence, pair of pyle or power acoustik tweeters & pair of pioneer 12" was the ultimate & best sounding system one could get. Its what is the norm & was considered the cleanest sounding thing around.
Eventually I learned otherwise but its hard to change peoples mindset. I recently got into a heated argument with a taxi driver / installer about the use of a pre amp in a system, he insisted that it was necessary & I didnt. He became severely aggravated & on the verge of becoming violent when I proved I have no pre amp & my system sounds fine.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » December 19th, 2011, 4:06 pm

I stop fighting them, it makes no sense

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » December 19th, 2011, 5:26 pm

I still try sometimes.
As soon as one mentions 'mids' automatically a set of 'dj' speakers are suggested. Trini's seem to prefer just plain loud (the traditional gallery type system) but some of them are doing plain stupidness. There are some properly constructed gallery systems that sound very good while there are the majority who just want loud from an improperly constructed system & the result is one sounding like plain crap. It seems to not only be the equipment used but the way in which it is used which has a lot to do with the installer as well. Just about everyone is an installer these days.
I have personally heard some of the actual sq systems utilizing component & coaxials in the local competition side by side 'bang out' style & they can give some of the smaller gallery systems using these 'dj' speakers a good run. I believe its the severe lack of knowledge about the equipment used too, should people be educated or exposed to demos they might get a better understanding.
riadb on the forum once built a gallery system using component speakers & it was pretty impressive, I wish it was still around to embarrass some of the people using these 'dj' speakers.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » May 16th, 2012, 10:51 am

bump for a recent thread with good info ... :)

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 17th, 2012, 1:26 am

nervewrecker wrote:I recently got into a heated argument with a taxi driver / installer

First and only mistake right there......taxi driver/installer....surisly??? :lol:

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 17th, 2012, 11:30 pm

the highly acclaimed betas/chocolates? are fine..its the idiots that use them as such that give em a bad rep. Certainly not for door mounts and definitely not for the faint of heart.

bcozier
3NE 2NR for life

Postby bcozier » June 6th, 2012, 10:10 am

ok....i realise that is thread is biased against dj mids...

for information sake and for those us who may be willing to try components but always thought that they were beyond our price range

Recommend pls a good component mids system to suit ah single 12 bass line
for eg JBLp12...including prices...in comparsion to dj mids

btw...i'm currently running caire & faital pro 6" in doors

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » June 6th, 2012, 10:42 am

^^^ u need to post a budget b4 anybody can recommend anything ...

bcozier
3NE 2NR for life

Postby bcozier » June 6th, 2012, 3:13 pm

a budget comparable to what i would hav spent on the dj mids i hav now

which is 2 caire & 2 faital pro or as close as possible

i'm sorry...i am not too sure how much these sell for now

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » June 7th, 2012, 12:05 am

bcozier wrote:a budget comparable to what i would hav spent on the dj mids i hav now

which is 2 caire & 2 faital pro or as close as possible

i'm sorry...i am not too sure how much these sell for now

And thus you run in ah ched with mostly SQ posters and asking them to find out the cost of your DJ mids and compare the price to some Comps of comparative value??? This somehow takes me back to square one....

MonsterPower
punchin NOS

Postby MonsterPower » June 9th, 2012, 8:33 pm

actually a pair of 6.5 in the front door and 6x9 in the back dash well deadned will provide more than enough mids for that single 12"

I'll never rember that day about 10 yrs ago i was at jan's shop (may he rest in peace) and he was tuning a very simple setup . just 1 amp and a sub and when he was finished with the mids the low mid was enough to make u feel the ground vibrating .Not to mention those old pioneer 305dvc.. one of the best budget bass u could get at that time .

pimptacular
30 pounds of Boost

Postby pimptacular » June 23rd, 2012, 5:21 am

agreed

my components and pair coax in the back are more than enough to keep up with an my idmax ported and an idmax is 1 loud SOB.

but honestly though i think its a misconception coupled with uneducated people, you could bray all you want about components but some trinis tend to have selective hearing and perception

most people see it as best loud bang for your buck and thats imo the main problem.. a pair of 800 coax i highly doubt would sound as loud as a pair of eminence or 18sound or whatever they use now.. but they more than likely wouldn't have the clarity of the coax

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » June 24th, 2012, 1:35 am

Any of you guys ever played around with pro audio style mid ranges and instead of an NB1, use some high end tweeters with them. I recently did and installed a pair of the Powerbass 4XL-6592 with some Arc Audio KAR tweeters and an Arc Audio/Rainbow ACS Series passive, and i have to say that setup is the best bang for the buck setup that i myself have ever put together. I am sure that there is no component set for under $1000, which is more than that set costed, that sounds as good as that set does. It is in my brother's hilux and kept up to his bassline adequately which was 3 RE 8" behind the rear seat off of a JBL Crown.

Maybe the truth does offend but this is not the truth. First of all, if you walk into any decent music shop and ask for something that is loud, they are going to recommend something loud, second of all i see it happen time and time again where people ask for a quality system and we build them a VERY good sounding SQ vehicle. About a month if so much down the line, they are back wanting to upgrade they heard a friend's setup and have realized that being loud enough for more than one person to enjoy the music is more important.

What i think the truth is; is that trini people are liming people, sure there are about 100 people if so many in the entire country that would appreciate a good sounding, proper imaged and soundstaged vehicle but look at the size of an "SQ Event" as opposed to a car show. There is literally 50x more happening at a car show. The million and a half other people in this country want their music to be heard outside the vehicle when they are hanging out by the beach, river, bar, or any other social gathering. Education has absolutely nothing to do with their choice in drivers either, it is basically what is available that will fit into the location allotted and give the loudest and "cleanest" sound. If anyone here can argue me wrong then please do! I have just reached the point in this whole "DJ speaker in car business" where it doesn't make sense giving someone something that you think is better when you know they going to come back and want to be louder and D'GAFF about SQ.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”