Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Pioneer 80PRS

Postby SR » January 9th, 2012, 8:14 pm

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /DEH-80PRS

released today

AUDIOPHILE GRADE

The DEH-80PRS CD receiver features audiophile grade internal components and materials that are carefully selected to achieve Pioneer's highest standards for the ultimate in sound quality. Pioneer’s exclusive sound field technologies including Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment help optimize audio in ways that perfectly suit particular listening spaces and allow subtle manual control of settings. Versatile connectivity helps deliver exceptional sound quality from various digital devices.

Burr-Brown® 24-bit D/A Converters: Three Burr-Brown digital to analog converters are used - one each for the high, mid, and low frequency ranges - providing exceptional linear sound reproduction with wide dynamic range and faithful reproduction of the original source

Four-Layer Circuit Board Design: Utilizing a four layer copper foil board with components mounted to both sides of the board allows for a circuit board with a much smaller footprint. The inside layers of the circuit board are dedicated to the power and ground supply traces, which allow for lower overall circuit impedance and greatly reduce noise.

Full-Custom High-Capacitance Power Supply Capacitor: Custom-built capacitors in the power supply keep sound clear and consistent. Exclusive parts are developed and tuned for optimal sound quality through a thorough review of materials and repeated listening trials.

Sound Master Clock Circuitry: Timing is everything. Our new Sound Master Clock generates waveforms that read and process digital signals with extraordinary precision - eliminating jitter. Finely detailed signals can be accurately reproduced as they were intended.

28-bit Binary Floating-Point DSP: Handling a wider range of complicated calculations than a standard fixed-point DSP, Pioneer's 28-bit binary floating-point DSP along with the use of advanced programming technology allows for highly precise sound processing and tuning without degrading the source's digital signal.
3-Way Digital Network: The DEH-80PRS features a 3-Way Digital Network, connecting (via three 5V RCA preouts) up to three external amplifiers, each dedicated to driving high-, mid- and low-frequency ranges, respectively. The result: more distinct separation of the three frequency ranges, for more full, natural sound realizing more of each speaker’s potential in a multi-speaker system.

L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer: The L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer is excellent at overcoming in-vehicle frequency response peaks and troughs. With fine tuning adjustments at 2/3 octave steps, tailoring the frequency curves to generate a flat response is possible in any type of car.

Auto Time Alignment and Auto EQ: Time alignment automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the driver’s position and adjusts speaker sound output timing, so that sound from all speakers reaches the driver’s ears in perfect sync. Auto EQ tailors specific musical characteristics according to preference, uses a microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fine-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. These processes occur in 399 seamless steps in just about 6 minutes and 30 seconds.

Time Alignment: Not only can this function precisely adjust each speaker’s output timing according to its distance from the listening position – it is also adaptable to a 3-way multi-amplifier and speaker system.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Pioneer 80PRS

Postby 3stagevtec » January 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Should have included a better remote, especially since it's from the PRS line..

Definitely seems well worth the MSRP, especially when you consider the feature list..

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » January 9th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Sweet. Is about time they made a regular guy's P99.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » January 9th, 2012, 9:16 pm

:shock:

excellent how they put back d usb in d back & now its x2 + built in BT too - , alot of features for d price

agreed they seem to cut corners with d remote & 1 thing thats missing is a color screen ... :)

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » January 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Nah man; that remote with that HU?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 9th, 2012, 10:17 pm

but it ugly

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 10th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Noice - I see a possible birthday present for myself there :-).

I have no issues with the remote.

Concerning the "3-way" thing, I notice that the jacks to the rear of the deck are labelled "F" "R" and "SW". If the x-over is flexible enough to allow me to run front + rear + sw rather than treble + midbass + sw then I'm a lot more interested.

Pity about the 16-band eq though. I'd prefer 31-band, or 8-band parametric. With the 16-band EQ offered by my current deck, I've found that the bands are typicall NOT located at the frequencies I'd prefer them to be.

D March Guy
Street 2NR

Postby D March Guy » January 10th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Brian Steele wrote:Noice - I see a possible birthday present for myself there :-).

I have no issues with the remote.

Concerning the "3-way" thing, I notice that the jacks to the rear of the deck are labelled "F" "R" and "SW". If the x-over is flexible enough to allow me to run front + rear + sw rather than treble + midbass + sw then I'm a lot more interested.

Pity about the 16-band eq though. I'd prefer 31-band, or 8-band parametric. With the 16-band EQ offered by my current deck, I've found that the bands are typicall NOT located at the frequencies I'd prefer them to be.

X 2 LOL remote is not really an issue here but Whats the retail of one of these so..............i find this REAL neat!!!!!!!!

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » January 11th, 2012, 8:20 am

Sweet.

What would the approx. retail price on one of these be locally?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 11th, 2012, 8:42 am

msrp from pioneer suggests $419us

so a safe figure at this point in time would be around the 4k price range max

it wont be available till spring aka end of march

its a great replacment for the 880 and 800prs

i see nothing wrong with the remote either

people need to stop comparing it with the 99prs remote which is a much higher end unit

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 11th, 2012, 8:47 am

nervewrecker wrote:but it ugly

LOL - I find it a refreshing change from the "bling-boxes" that pass themselves off as head units these days...

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 11th, 2012, 9:11 am

Brian Steele wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:but it ugly

LOL - I find it a refreshing change from the "bling-boxes" that pass themselves off as head units these days...

I hate those too, I like my 5800ub.

Reluctantly I will be picking up one of these though.

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » January 12th, 2012, 9:59 am

Why do you want a premium product at a non-premium price? That's the regular guy's remote for the pioneer line. That's not going to change in a hurry.

As for the multi colour display; that's a feature. Scroll down on the overview tab.

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » January 12th, 2012, 12:42 pm

IMO it should have direct track access buttons.

I had one like that with my old 7700mp and that wasnt premium. For people like me that would be a nice feature especially when my flashdrive has at least 20 folders with at least 12 songs each.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 12th, 2012, 1:47 pm

agreed maybe the older remote will work

i am sure its cost cutting to keep the overall price range down

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » January 16th, 2012, 1:27 am

SR wrote:agreed maybe the older remote will work

i am sure its cost cutting to keep the overall price range down

if the older remote works then that would make this unit even sweeter....and those remotes relatively cheap and i feel everybody have one by now :lol:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 16th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Team2lo2flo
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team2lo2flo » April 11th, 2012, 10:04 pm

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 11th, 2012, 10:07 pm

fuzzz ha d bess price....

badandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby badandy » April 13th, 2012, 9:52 pm

it not flashy looking, but definitely packs alot of features.
glad that pioneer spent the money on the features of the deck and not the packaging...lol..
bluetooth, double rear usb,time, alignment, do it urself tuning etc......
still cant understand why they went with the chrome turn knob....hope it doesnt fade out to fast...

nice....sweet.....

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 13th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Pioneer did good on this one...

Alpine on the other hand seems to have dropped their 9887 and equivalent models. Their current lineup is not impressive. Maybe they looking to release an 80RS match soon... did you SBN guys see anything interesting to come from Alpine?

vintagestyles
Ricer

Postby vintagestyles » April 14th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Just finished installing this in my car... so a quick review.

For reference I'm replacing an Alpine CDA117/PXAH100 combo with this in a predominantly SQ application... 2 way front stage (midbass/midrange in door and tweets in dash) and sigle 12" in the back.

Sound quality is slightly better than the 117. I would say on par with the old school CDA-9833 that I used before. One thing I've noticed is that alpine units tend to have a smoother transistion in the midrage/highs region where pioneer's implementation is more clinical. Not sure if this is just my ears though.
RCA signal strength seems to a little more than the alpine, especially in the bass region. No turn on/turn off pops or noises in my application. Floor noise is inaudible as well, but this would depend on the quality of your amps and the setup of your gain structure.

Haven't tried both USB ports together, but USB1 works well with my 160GB ipod classic. It charges the device when the head unit is on and turns off the ipod 2 mins after turning off the head unit. Finding music by artist/album/song/genre etc is easy in a large collection since there is an alpahabetic jump feature. Scrolling through is noticably faster than the alpine though.
There is a nice feature called "link play". If you're listing to a particular song, you can enable link play and queue all of the songs from the same artist or album etc.

Processing power is much better than the alpine. In network mode, for each of the six speakers you have mute, phase inversion, delay (TA), level, crossover point, crossover slope. I haven't played with the L/R 16 band eq yet to see just how useful the chosen points are but I imagine that being able to achieve independent left/right eq would be at least some help in tuning.

Also tried the bluetooth streaming option. Paired the unit with a samsung galaxy ace and had absolutely no issues. Could browse through my phone's playlist, play/pause/stop songs, and manipulate volume. Note that the phone's bluetooth stack must support the AVRCP protocol to use all of the functions of bluetooth streaming.

One negative is that there is an annoying beep everytime you change a setting on the unit and there seems to be no way to disable this. An option would be to open it up and remove the speaker inside.

Another is the lack of presets. With the apline, I had six available presets that I would use to compare changes in tuning or just have available to change settings when I wanted to play music loudly. This unit does not seem to have that capability at all.

Overall, I would say that it's a worthy upgrade. There was nothing wrong with the apline setup I had before but the numerous source options and all-in-one processing on this unit definitely simplifies things for me. Most importantly the sound quality is what I would expect from a high end unit... until I can afford a P99RS :roll:

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » April 14th, 2012, 4:03 pm

best option for those who's budget is out of reach for the 99rs

for $3200 what does the competitions have to offer

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » April 14th, 2012, 6:00 pm

vintagestyles wrote:Processing power is much better than the alpine. In network mode, for each of the six speakers you have mute, phase inversion, delay (TA), level, crossover point, crossover slope. I haven't played with the L/R 16 band eq yet to see just how useful the chosen points are but I imagine that being able to achieve independent left/right eq would be at least some help in tuning.

EACH driver or per PAIR of drivers? If it is each, that would be insanely cool. As for competition, you guys know me......

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/audio/source_units/cd/CZ702/us-en-product-pf_1259559424064.html

Pioneer's processing definitely is better, but this price would be hard to beat, when it comes out.

Team2lo2flo
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team2lo2flo » April 14th, 2012, 10:41 pm

vintagestyles wrote:

Also tried the bluetooth streaming option. Paired the unit with a samsung galaxy ace and had absolutely no issues. Could browse through my phone's playlist, play/pause/stop songs, and manipulate volume. Note that the phone's bluetooth stack must support the AVRCP protocol to use all of the functions of bluetooth streaming.

One negative is that there is an annoying beep everytime you change a setting on the unit and there seems to be no way to disable this. An option would be to open it up and remove the speaker inside.

:roll:

Great review man!

I'm glad that pioneer sorted out their bluetooth streaming, it wasn't the best on the 980 bt model..

Are you sure there isn't a way to mute the annoying beep you are referring to?

I remember i found a way to mute this on the 980 bt

But for the price range of the unit you really can't go wrong!

I think Pioneer did a really good job on this unit.

They also released a 8400 BH Double Din Dvd unit that's packed with features... I'm itching to try out one!

vintagestyles
Ricer

Postby vintagestyles » April 14th, 2012, 11:29 pm

evolution7tt wrote:
EACH driver or per PAIR of drivers? If it is each, that would be insanely cool. As for competition, you guys know me......

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2012/audio/source_units/cd/CZ702/us-en-product-pf_1259559424064.html

Pioneer's processing definitely is better, but this price would be hard to beat, when it comes out.

The DSP can manipulate left/right pairs of drivers or each one singly i.e. left and right can have absolutely different levels, crossovers, slopes etc. When I realise this, I get giddy like corbeaux in the the La Basse :lol:

I agree on the CZ702. The price/performance ratio absolutely kills anything else in its class. Was seriously considering that option but I really can't deal with the looks :(

Team2lo2flo wrote:Great review man!

I'm glad that pioneer sorted out their bluetooth streaming, it wasn't the best on the 980 bt model..

Are you sure there isn't a way to mute the annoying beep you are referring to?

I remember i found a way to mute this on the 980 bt

But for the price range of the unit you really can't go wrong!

I think Pioneer did a really good job on this unit.

They also released a 8400 BH Double Din Dvd unit that's packed with features... I'm itching to try out one!

Yep, the bluetooth streaming works flawlessy. Tried it with my Nokia 5800 this evening and had no issues.
I tried to find a way to mute the beep but wasn't successful. You can mute the warning tone if you leave the face attached when you switch off the car. If you do figure out a way, let me know!!

Almost forgot... thanks for the unit. Resonable price and always a cool fella to deal with.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » April 15th, 2012, 3:57 pm

the alpine 9887 can adjust the individual speakers as well, xo points, level, slopes
it cant do the phase changes however

but, i'll be gettin one of these for the summer for sure...

MBC Autotronix
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby MBC Autotronix » April 15th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Got one from Team2lo2flo, and man...this thing is good..similar to my 880prs.

like SR said, cant get better value for money right now.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » April 28th, 2012, 10:00 am

I have these 80PRS in stock too in case anybody needs any .... :)

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » April 28th, 2012, 10:23 am

^ price?

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”