TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
recklessone
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 226
Joined: December 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm
Location: bush...plenty bush.

WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby recklessone » August 16th, 2012, 12:21 am

I hav a four channel boss amp that runs my whole system. I have two pioneer 12 that are ran off a bridged channel wired @ 4 ohms. After about 30-40 mins of playing at full blast [engine running], the amp becomes very hot [burns to the touch] and goes into protect mode. If I kill the bass however, this does not happen. I have 4 gauge power wire running off a 825 CA battery and a stock 70 A alternator

What can I do about this? I want to be able to play at full blast for as long I as want to. with bass. 8-)

Advertisement
User avatar
ruffneck_12
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5219
Joined: May 4th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Location: Duane is my uncle, I ha rank here
Contact:

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 16th, 2012, 7:37 am

try it with one sub , btw how is it hooked up? you mind drawing a diagram in paint and uploading it?

disconnect everything on the amp and run it and see if it still overheats

look at ur mounting location and airflow too

User avatar
nervewrecker
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18374
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: Gone with Leroy mudda, not Paranging though

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby nervewrecker » August 16th, 2012, 10:26 am

a boss 4 ch pushing a pair of pioneer 12". usually is the 1000 watt 4 ch and that cant power up those 12's properly so I have a strong feeling that he pushing it into clipping or the gains set too high.
either that or stagnant air / lack of air flow = heat and thermal protection.

User avatar
kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11916
Joined: December 28th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Location: Chilling with Akeem

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby kurpal_v2 » August 16th, 2012, 10:30 am

nervewrecker wrote:a boss 4 ch pushing a pair of pioneer 12". usually is the 1000 watt 4 ch and that cant power up those 12's properly so I have a strong feeling that he pushing it into clipping or the gains set too high.
either that or stagnant air / lack of air flow = heat and thermal protection
.



Seems legit.


Op where is the amp installed?

User avatar
evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 705
Joined: October 21st, 2003, 12:56 pm
Location: South

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby evolution7tt » August 16th, 2012, 10:51 am

recklessone wrote: After about 30-40 mins of playing at full blast [engine running], the amp becomes very hot

I want to be able to play at full blast for as long I as want to with bass.



Wow. That's quite a demand on your amp.

User avatar
Firewall
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1166
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 8:15 am

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby Firewall » August 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

subs wired to wrong impedence maybe?

recheck to confirm its 4 ohms and not lower

Bassauthority
Ricer
Posts: 15
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 9:19 am

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby Bassauthority » August 16th, 2012, 11:31 am

From experience,I can tell you that these amps tend to do this,,after 40mins of playing at full blast,,,they will get extremely hot and may go in protection mode,,,try dropping the gain on the bass channels,,or,,because these amps are staggered in design(2 channels plays louder for bassline purposes),make sure that your subs are wired to the 2 channels with the bass boost control knob,,,try using one sub,,,,or relocate your amp and use a fan on it for cooling,,,orrr,,,, if you are in bridged mode make sure your subwoofer impedence does not drop under 4ohms....

User avatar
recklessone
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 226
Joined: December 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm
Location: bush...plenty bush.

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby recklessone » August 16th, 2012, 2:08 pm

I have re-checked and it is connected with a 4 ohm load.

The amp is a 2400W 4ch in the same series as the one seen in the picture I have posted. [Boss OutCast series]

The amp is bolted onto the rear of the subwoofer box in the trunk. I have also mounted some fans to see if that would help but it seems as though they don't do much for the situation. [ See photo ]

I previously had amplifier under the passenger seat with 2 10" rockford p2 200RMS connected to it @ 4 ohms and I had the same problem then.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg

User avatar
gladboy
Ricer
Posts: 18
Joined: February 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm
Location: san juan

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby gladboy » August 16th, 2012, 3:37 pm

bro that boss amp cant take all that licks you have to share with them 2 subs unless you set
your gains on the sub section of your amp low,using one sub in a decent enclosure may help but
bess advise would be to get a monoblock for your subs this would also help your boss amp from going into early retirement ...

User avatar
matthewmazda
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1665
Joined: May 15th, 2009, 1:02 am
Location: Arouca to Arima
Contact:

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby matthewmazda » August 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm

if its the 2000watts 4 channel, saw some men installing fans on them

speedmelter
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2161
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 7:15 pm
Location: counting stars..

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby speedmelter » August 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm

well the wiring is correct, change the spot where you mount the amp i guess to like maybe on the back seat, drop it dwn while playing. but i get the feeling the load is too much for the one amp, its boss after all. be thankful that it goes into thermal protect and doesnt catch fire.

User avatar
nervewrecker
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18374
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: Gone with Leroy mudda, not Paranging though

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby nervewrecker » August 16th, 2012, 6:26 pm

here what, lets do a quick guesstimate, whats the fuse rating like?

User avatar
recklessone
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 226
Joined: December 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm
Location: bush...plenty bush.

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby recklessone » August 16th, 2012, 8:05 pm

I wanted to get a monoblock for bass and use this boss for mids and hi's only but I was told that I cannot do that with a 825 CA battery and a stock 70 A alternator and I need to get another battery, however getting another battery is not on my cards right now.

My backseat does not fold down otherwise I would have mounted it there.

There are two 35 A fuses

User avatar
nervewrecker
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18374
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: Gone with Leroy mudda, not Paranging though

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby nervewrecker » August 16th, 2012, 8:17 pm

recklessone wrote:There are two 35 A fuses



Hate to break it to you but that amp aint doing anywhere close to 1000 watts proper.

Even if half of the amp used for bass that is like barely enough power for one pioneer 12"

User avatar
recklessone
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 226
Joined: December 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm
Location: bush...plenty bush.

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby recklessone » August 16th, 2012, 9:32 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
recklessone wrote:There are two 35 A fuses



Hate to break it to you but that amp aint doing anywhere close to 1000 watts proper.

Even if half of the amp used for bass that is like barely enough power for one pioneer 12"


This piece of info helps. I bought this amp when I was new to the music scene and the seller make it look like a "bess" amp to me :|

Anyways nerve, I must get another battery if I want to run the mono?

User avatar
nervewrecker
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 18374
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: Gone with Leroy mudda, not Paranging though

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby nervewrecker » August 17th, 2012, 12:27 am

Bassauthority wrote:From experience,I can tell you that these amps tend to do this,,after 40mins of playing at full blast,,,they will get extremely hot and may go in protection mode,,,try dropping the gain on the bass channels,,or,,because these amps are staggered in design(2 channels plays louder for bassline purposes),make sure that your subs are wired to the 2 channels with the bass boost control knob,,,try using one sub,,,,or relocate your amp and use a fan on it for cooling,,,orrr,,,, if you are in bridged mode make sure your subwoofer impedence does not drop under 4ohms....



Is staggered a man just say a boss amp staggered dey? :rofl:

Man, the amp ain't all that but at least it working. Rather than add more equipment I say get rid of the pair of 12's and get one dual 2 ohm or a single 4 and run it on a pair of bridged channels.
Getting a bigger batt and adding a next amp is just adding to the problem when you can save and get one good amp that can run your whole system with a higher efficiency. In other words, get an amp that can work with your batt and alt when you can.

User avatar
Brian Steele
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 642
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby Brian Steele » August 17th, 2012, 12:44 am

recklessone wrote:The amp is bolted onto the rear of the subwoofer box in the trunk. I have also mounted some fans to see if that would help but it seems as though they don't do much for the situation. [ See photo ]


You might have more luck with cooling and avoiding thermal shutdown if you mount fans on either side and place a "shroud" across the amp to ensure that the airflow from one fan to the next actually flows across the amp.

User avatar
recklessone
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 226
Joined: December 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm
Location: bush...plenty bush.

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby recklessone » August 17th, 2012, 1:09 am

nervewrecker wrote:
Bassauthority wrote:From experience,I can tell you that these amps tend to do this,,after 40mins of playing at full blast,,,they will get extremely hot and may go in protection mode,,,try dropping the gain on the bass channels,,or,,because these amps are staggered in design(2 channels plays louder for bassline purposes),make sure that your subs are wired to the 2 channels with the bass boost control knob,,,try using one sub,,,,or relocate your amp and use a fan on it for cooling,,,orrr,,,, if you are in bridged mode make sure your subwoofer impedence does not drop under 4ohms....



Is staggered a man just say a boss amp staggered dey? :rofl:

Man, the amp ain't all that but at least it working. Rather than add more equipment I say get rid of the pair of 12's and get one dual 2 ohm or a single 4 and run it on a pair of bridged channels.
Getting a bigger batt and adding a next amp is just adding to the problem when you can save and get one good amp that can run your whole system with a higher efficiency. In other words, get an amp that can work with your batt and alt when you can.


Yu giv good advice man... thnx :D what's a decent four channel amp you would recommend?

Brian Steele wrote:
recklessone wrote:The amp is bolted onto the rear of the subwoofer box in the trunk. I have also mounted some fans to see if that would help but it seems as though they don't do much for the situation. [ See photo ]


You might have more luck with cooling and avoiding thermal shutdown if you mount fans on either side and place a "shroud" across the amp to ensure that the airflow from one fan to the next actually flows across the amp.


But if I place fans on either side, then they would be blowing towards each other over the amp. :?

User avatar
Brian Steele
Chronic TriniTuner
Posts: 642
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby Brian Steele » August 17th, 2012, 1:31 am

recklessone wrote:But if I place fans on either side, then they would be blowing towards each other over the amp. :?


Mount them so they are all blowing air in the same direction, rather than all blowing air towards the amp.

Bassauthority
Ricer
Posts: 15
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 9:19 am

Re: WTK: BOSS AMP OVERHEATING AND GOING INTO PROTECT MODE

Postby Bassauthority » August 19th, 2012, 1:38 pm

At nervewrecker....................I used the term staggered because the 2 channels with the bass boost function dedicated to them plays bass alot louder than the other 2......

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests