Forums

Epicenter question

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

lowz91
Riding on 13's

Epicenter question

Postby lowz91 » February 15th, 2016, 2:56 pm

I am looking to do a single sub install with an epicenter.

Should i go sealed or ported enclosure?? Are there any advantage of one enclosure over the other with the epicenter. And If ported what freq would you recommend the enclosure to be tuned given i play all types of music.
Last edited by lowz91 on February 15th, 2016, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement
kavaninho
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Epicenter question

Postby kavaninho » February 15th, 2016, 5:39 pm

What is the purpose of the epicenter? And, the following questions cannot be answered with the information provided.

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Postby L'Audi » February 19th, 2016, 9:26 pm

You're aware that with a properly designed enclosure, you'd have no use for said epicenter, right?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 19th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Different people have different views on this. Its not for me, I share the same view as the above poster.

Some like it to "add" bass to tunes that didnt have but it alters the tune where midbass becomes bass. Sounds un-natural to me.

marlonmrmusic
Street 2NR

Postby marlonmrmusic » February 23rd, 2016, 2:06 am

The epicenter changes higher bass frequencies to lower ones and is set by the sweep control. The gain is the amplitude. Is really nice for old dubs / slows / rock but i agree it does sound a bit unnatural. I used it alot but ended up putting in a rca bypass switch to disable it because even with it set at zero, it has an effect. It plays the high notes smoothly after changing them but causes a kind of reverb with the normal low bass from rap etc....

Sealed boxes are trouble unless u have really nice xmax subs. hope this clears up some.

my favourite song with epicenter was dawn penn - no no no

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Postby L'Audi » February 23rd, 2016, 11:44 am

marlonmrmusic wrote:The epicenter changes higher bass frequencies to lower ones and is set by the sweep control. The gain is the amplitude. Is really nice for old dubs / slows / rock but i agree it does sound a bit unnatural. I used it alot but ended up putting in a rca bypass switch to disable it because even with it set at zero, it has an effect. It plays the high notes smoothly after changing them but causes a kind of reverb with the normal low bass from rap etc....

Sealed boxes are trouble unless u have really nice xmax subs. hope this clears up some.

Honestly, at one point I didn't think I could live without my epicenter but after putting my DD1 and later, my o-scope on it - Never again.
At almost any level, there was distortion, worse than crankin' up a bass knob (which is what it is, essentially)

Solution: tune your enclosure low, have the tuning and power to back it up and you're golden.

SnipeR
Trinituner Peong

Postby SnipeR » March 8th, 2016, 11:07 am

marlonmrmusic wrote:The epicenter changes higher bass frequencies to lower ones and is set by the sweep control. The gain is the amplitude. Is really nice for old dubs / slows / rock but i agree it does sound a bit unnatural. I used it alot but ended up putting in a rca bypass switch to disable it because even with it set at zero, it has an effect. It plays the high notes smoothly after changing them but causes a kind of reverb with the normal low bass from rap etc....

At one point I thought something was wrong with mine because I experienced the same issue. Left it out of my new install and some folks still ask if it's installed.

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Postby L'Audi » March 8th, 2016, 11:48 am

SnipeR wrote:

At one point I thought something was wrong with mine because I experienced the same issue. Left it out of my new install and some folks still ask if it's installed.

THIS!!!

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » March 8th, 2016, 12:03 pm

question :

if d original songs like say some of d ole rockers\dubs never had any low freqs recorded into it in d 1st place , then if u use a low fs sub tuned low with proper enclosure & install etc but without any epi , how will it be able to play what was never there ? .... :|

mragoobir
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mragoobir » March 8th, 2016, 4:33 pm

- Rovin's car audio - wrote:question :

if d original songs like say some of d ole rockers\dubs never had any low freqs recorded into it in d 1st place , then if u use a low fs sub tuned low with proper enclosure & install etc but without any epi , how will it be able to play what was never there ? .... :|
×2...

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » March 9th, 2016, 8:18 am

- Rovin's car audio - wrote:question :

So how it works is that it samples the frequencies at higher octaves, and reproduces them at lower octaves. So it's "creating" sound from information within the original recording that wasn't there.

If you've got good midbass drivers, properly installed you'll get the bass that was in the original recording. Note, I said bass, not sub-bass as you're not going to get those low frequencies that you're expecting that wasn't there to begin with.

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » March 9th, 2016, 10:49 am

^^^well i already knew all of that but good explanation for those wanting to know ... :)

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”