Forums

Review: Tianle AMT 40-4

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Review: Tianle AMT 40-4

Postby L'Audi » March 21st, 2016, 1:04 pm

I'm currently re-doing my daily setup and lately I've been looking more and more into building a simple, budget friendly SQ install. The goal, currently, is decent staging, imaging and accurate tonality. After reviewing a number of raw drivers I installed a pair of Silver Flute, that I reviewed here: http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=662135&hilit=review
Now I had to find a pair of tweeters to pick up where the SF's drop off (there's a slight but predictable break-up at 5kHz).
I decided on a pair of Air motion transformer or AMT tweeters, because of their good reputation in 2 way home-theater applications and found these on Madisound: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/tianle-amt40-4-3/4-amt-car-tweeter-pair/
I will be testing these in a few different locations but they are currently on the dash, angled slightly towards the sunroof or where the car's dome-light would be.

First impressions
This is an extremely versatile tweeter as at first it came off as relaxed (too relaxed for my taste) but that was with the settings from the set they replaced. After about 10-15 minutes of fiddling, they came "alive" and a smile crept across my face. after driving around with the wife and running through my go-to playlists, there was no fatigue and very little need to further tweak. The best way I can describe them is; they sound like silk coated metal dome, smothered in butter and fairy dust... No, really!
The manufacturer recommends a crossover point of at least 3500Hz @ 18db (too much upper-midrange leaks through here IMO) so I tried 4, 5, 6.3 and even 8kHz and guess what? They still sound great! In fact, under-lapping them at 4K @ 18db flattened out a pesky bump I was having a hard time pulling down when I RTA'd the car.

I'm writing this after three days of listening and with the current setup I can note the following:
1. For around a $110USD you can build a more than competent 2-way front stage, especially if you are fully active
2. My center stage is plumb-dead-middle of my dash. If you didn't know better, you'd think the sound was coming from the factory center channel speaker location (not installed).
3. SQ is addictive. I'm already looking into a 3-way + Sub setup :|

I will add, info and more critique once I've played with a few more mounting locations but, as they sit now... Money well spent!

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Review: Tianle AMT 40-4

Postby X_Factor » March 23rd, 2016, 3:12 pm

nice
on or off axis?

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Re: Review: Tianle AMT 40-4

Postby L'Audi » March 24th, 2016, 10:30 am

X_Factor wrote:nice
on or off axis?