Forums

Advice with sq install

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Advice with sq install

Postby infinite_RPM » December 14th, 2016, 1:28 am

Tuners I have an Almera with a dls c36 3 way component set at the front and a set of focal 2 ways in the back.. can't remember the model of the focals but I paid about 1200 for them

Both components externally powered

The main problem is that it isn't loud enough for me in the driver's seat

I was thinking about moving the rear focals up to the front and fibreglass the doors for the install..

Any advice without having to buy more equipment? And how will two different sets affect sq

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Advice with sq install

Postby kavaninho » December 14th, 2016, 9:56 am

What amps you're using? Passive or active x-overs?

Moving the 2 ways up front may not be the best idea as you're adding different speakers to your front-stage which will need its own time alignment/eqing/x-overs etc. Even with a beast processor it will be a hard task.
Last edited by kavaninho on December 14th, 2016, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 14th, 2016, 10:49 am

Using a 2 channel amp and passives with both..

Can't proper positioning of the speaker avoid the need for all the extra equipment.. tbh I only believe in deck>amp>speakers anything else is to much for me

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 14th, 2016, 4:31 pm

How much power you have?

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » December 14th, 2016, 6:11 pm

ur comps not loud enough - bass drowning it out ? .... maybe try giving it some more amp power

in my ride i use a pair of 50rms 2 way comps powered by just deck power & it keeps up with 1k on bass tuned in d mid 20s

i wouldnt advise mixing brands , that might complicate things ...

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 14th, 2016, 7:26 pm

How are the dls c36 installed at present.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 15th, 2016, 2:44 am

As present each of the 4 crossovers receive 120wrms.. I have no subwoofer

The c36 6" in doors
The 4 inch in kicks
Tweets on dash (I have to put them in pillars, sun damaged one of the tweets)

The focal comps in the back are way way louder so I bias the sound to the front

I have a pio deck and I go up to about 45 with volume.. I find when I go above 50 sq is severely reduced.. gain on the amp is quarter..

I not extremely into sq the level of the guys in here but I do like good sounding music..

Note* on the other hand
I have a pair of 10" woofers and a massive 1 1/8" silk dome dayton speakers home

I not against putting tens in the front door and building a crossover but I can't do that install and I dunno any good installer to do it sq wise

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 15th, 2016, 2:53 am

If anyone knows a good installer I want to carry the car to get some good advice..on what to do if to rework what's in the car or redo the whole system

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 15th, 2016, 8:51 am

10" on the door maybe bulky/over-kill and a whole lot of fabrication work to be done. 120W per 3-way should get up to a decent volume though. Maybe the DLS are just not as efficient or the passives eating up your power.

If i were to have a cross between loud and good sq, i would use a mix of car audio and pro audio drivers. Like the faital 3fe22 for mid for example.

nigel1977
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nigel1977 » December 15th, 2016, 12:51 pm

10" on doors is do-able. The focal coaxials are louder because they are more efficient.

Adjust your fader, with a bias to the front.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 15th, 2016, 2:21 pm

It's biased to the front cause I don't like how music sounds behind my head.. that's why I wanna build up the front doors.. the focals basically wasted in the rear..

I'm not sure if it's the location of the mid speaker in the kicks and my legs block it out or what..

nigel1977
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nigel1977 » December 15th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Sounds like you have a lot of other issues.

Hint. Acoustic phase is not the same as electrical Phase.

You'd want to be sure all speakers are in acoustic phase.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 16th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Tweeters are mounted too far from the 4" mids. One needs to relocate to be closer to the other

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 16th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Also you mentioned that a tweeter is also damaged

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 16th, 2016, 4:05 pm

^ those things contribute to better SQ....but for the loudness part, not so much gains.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: RE: Re: Advice with sq install

Postby infinite_RPM » December 16th, 2016, 7:16 pm

nigel1977 wrote:Sounds like you have a lot of other issues.

Hint. Acoustic phase is not the same as electrical Phase.

You'd want to be sure all speakers are in acoustic phase.

As in you think something is out of phase?

Its highly possible as I changed one of the doors because I got into an accident is possible the speaker wires got mixed up when the guys reconnected everything. Also the door that changed had sound dampening..

Will recheck everything as soon as I get chance..

Could the dampening alone cause such a huge difference?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » December 17th, 2016, 7:35 am

infinite_RPM wrote:Its highly possible as I changed one of the doors because I got into an accident is possible the speaker wires got mixed up when the guys reconnected everything. Also the door that changed had sound dampening..

If the response of the front was adequate before the accident and no longer adequate now, then anything's possible. I'd check not only how the speakers are wired up, but also the amplifier (hint: start by swapping the front and rear feeds to the amp).

And yes, damping may also affect the midbass (more quality-wise than quantity-wise). And if one door is damped and the other isn't, that may introduce some interesting phase issues as well.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » December 17th, 2016, 9:23 am

First of all you need to check your hearing. Do a proper hearing test and see what frequencies your hearing is weak at. Adjust crossover frequencies according.
Be mindful that this hearing test needs to be done yearly according to your age and noise exposure. I'm sure your current system is more than loud enough for volume at safe levels. You just need to fine tune rather than spend money on more equipment.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » December 17th, 2016, 11:43 am

How about, you use the two 2 channel amps you have on the front stage, put the focals on deck power , and maybe consider putting the midrange high up on the dash or pillar, on axis.

So use the woofers on one amplifier and then the mid and tweeter on the other amplifier.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 17th, 2016, 12:06 pm

^not a bad idea too. Would definitely get louder with double the power upfront and the mid up high.

SQBOY
Street 2NR

Postby SQBOY » December 18th, 2016, 12:29 am

Are you using one 2 channel amp to power both the front and rear speakers?

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 18th, 2016, 1:00 am

That is my mistake is a 4 channel 960w at 4 ohms it's 120w a speaker.. well it's soundstream power so about 80w a channel if we being real

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » December 18th, 2016, 1:01 am

evolution7tt wrote:How about, you use the two 2 channel amps you have on the front stage, put the focals on deck power , and maybe consider putting the midrange high up on the dash or pillar, on axis.

So use the woofers on one amplifier and then the mid and tweeter on the other amplifier.

I will try this as soon as my shift rotation finishes

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 18th, 2016, 10:41 am

kavaninho wrote:^ those things contribute to better SQ....but for the loudness part, not so much gains.

Better sq is also percieved as louder.
If your mind doesnt like how it sounds its already turned off from it. Those 3 ways play quite "loud" once setup correctly. They cannot be compared to the loudness of a "pro audio" speaker driver. A silk dome tweeter response is laid back compared to a metalic based tweeter. Dls uses a silk dome focal uses a metalic . I have considerable experience with both brands being a distributor for both at some pt in timeas well as building demo and competition vehicles with both lines

wheel whores
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wheel whores » December 18th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Specker locations looks like the problem......Sq.......It's all in the install.....

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:It's biased to the front cause I don't like how music sounds behind my head.. that's why I wanna build up the front doors.. the focals basically wasted in the rear..

I'm not sure if it's the location of the mid speaker in the kicks and my legs block it out or what..

if you dont like sound behind you, take them out, put the amp for the speakers up front only
i dont think those dls are getting proper power
approx 75-80wrms powering a tweet, 4 inch and 6 inch isnt ideal

what kinda deck you using?

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » January 8th, 2017, 2:35 pm

The wiring was a mess.. The midrange and and tweet was wired wrong on the drivers side.. (The guys who changed the door prob wired it wrong) I did all the wiring for this car when I was like 14 and its pretty horrible.. I going to scrap everything and wire over the whole audio system from battery go back..

My deck is a pio mvh8200

My ass scratching me since I only thinking of upgrades

So

I buy two Dayton ref 8" for the front doors, the tens I have are way to big.. A pair of dome mids and I had Dayton reference tweets from before.. The freq ranges extend well into each component so I still tryna figure out cross points

Next buys are 80prs and smaller amp

Still looking for someone to build up my doors.. Reccomend a good installer plz.. Will turn into a build thread once I get everything

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 9th, 2017, 9:35 am

Loudsound should handle the door pods nicely.

You should look into a small 5 channel amplifier and a sub to add that bottom extension where the doors roll off.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 9th, 2017, 7:56 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:I buy two Dayton ref 8" for the front doors, the tens I have are way to big.. A pair of dome mids and I had Dayton reference tweets from before.. The freq ranges extend well into each component so I still tryna figure out cross points.

Determining the best x-over point is a bit of a "black art". Things you need to consider:

1. Raw frequency response of the drivers through the x-over region, including and in particular off-axis response
2. Impedance of each driver through the x-over region (if you're going to use passive filtering)
3. Distortion characteristics through the x-over region (you don't want to filter a tweeter too low, or a bass driver too high - the distortion curves will give a good indication of where the best x-over point might be). Also, for car audio you might want to select an x-over point that's higher than you'd normally use for the same drivers in a home audio environment, as the system is likely going to be played back at a higher level.

... or you can just wing it and hope for the best, LOL.

Note: 1, 2, and 3 are easy to measure if you've got access to a good mic, a good USB sound card and Room EQ Wizard (REW) software (free download). Well, for item 2 you'll need a resistor somewhere between 30 and 100 Ohms and a few jumpers...

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » January 10th, 2017, 10:27 am

I plan on using the deck as the crossover..

The crossover points on the deck for the low pass only goes up to 250 which is a total waste since the 8s can go up to 5500hz

So I'm going to use the midpass for the 8" and the midrange and a passive lpf to cut the frequency for the 8" and well the highpass will feed the tweets..

Or I can go two way and have a simpler setup since the tweeter can play down to 2000hz

I don't plan on using subs as I need my trunk space..

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”