TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Installing Aftermarket Car Audio in a Hybrid.

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Installing Aftermarket Car Audio in a Hybrid.

Postby wheelbarrow » December 21st, 2017, 11:15 am

Looking for ideas and suggestions in the installation of a sound system in a Hybrid car.

Anybody put ah bassline in ah hybrid yet?

Interested in how the electrical was done.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Installing Aftermarket Car Audio in a Hybrid.

Postby kavaninho » December 21st, 2017, 1:25 pm

The normal rules apply. The hybrids has a alternator and a 12V system like most other vehicles for the electronics. One advantage is that there is large power bank to tap from so your amplifier can produce high power in transients . For example, in Teslas, the 12V system draws power from the higher voltage bank when necessary. I'm not sure how the japanese does it but there is alot the read online. Google up!

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » December 21st, 2017, 3:42 pm

kavaninho wrote:The normal rules apply. The hybrids has a alternator and a 12V system like most other vehicles for the electronics. One advantage is that there is large power bank to tap from so your amplifier can produce high power in transients . For example, in Teslas, the 12V system draws power from the higher voltage bank when necessary. I'm not sure how the japanese does it but there is alot the read online. Google up!

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm

By alternator I mean the regeneration from the Hybrid DC motor for charging eh. The vehicle recharges itself as you progress.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 22nd, 2017, 11:33 pm

Dont touch any wire with orange loom.

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » December 23rd, 2017, 1:08 pm

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » December 23rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

SR wrote:Dont touch any wire with orange loom.

Correct.

Buy a multimeter, check out what you plan to tap into..

But from my limited experience, the front battery remains stock.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 23rd, 2017, 3:11 pm

Not all hybrids the 12v battery is in front

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 23rd, 2017, 3:35 pm

The 12v circuit, is it a step down through electronics to get it to 12v or is a Tap off directly from the battery bank? Cause if it is through electronics, u might overload that 12v circuit capcity.

If it is a tap off from the bank, well, Bob's ur uncle.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 23rd, 2017, 9:41 pm

I believe it's a DC to DC buck converter feeding off the higher voltage bank.

TK!
Riding on 18's

Postby TK! » January 5th, 2018, 10:53 am

I have a factory head unit with navigation for a honda accord hybrid (english) and the antenna module if you're interested.
There's also a full guide on the web for installing an aftermarket system in this car. May also help with other similar vehicles.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/show ... hp?t=49834

The electricals are simpler than most ppl think.

HTH

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » October 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Follow this guide

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-410ooYbMb ... ybrid.html

In the hybrid toyota clubs we are seeing people totally disregard good sense and go overboard with music installs.

Hybrids are not like your conventional cars, there are no alternators to take supply from, the high voltage battery (144v) in aqua and fielder/axio does a step down via a converter to 14v to recharge the 12v battery

Also the 12v battery does not start the car, the Hv battery does, these cars have no conventional starter either, so the 12v battery is usually very small in capacity since it does not have much load to supply

Team2lo2flo
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team2lo2flo » October 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I have XS POWER direct replacement AGM Batteries for Toyota and other Hybrid vehicles. By Installing a higher capacity AGM Auxiliary battery, you can run additional amplifiers.

Manufacturer recommends you to use an AGM battery as your 12v AUX batteries in these vehicle

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » January 11th, 2021, 6:02 pm

This info is not mine.
It was copied from Crutchfield's a recognized US retailer of Car Audio.

Tip 1: The general rule for upgrading the audio in a hybrid

Whether your hybrid is a Prius, a Fusion, or a Civic, hybrid vehicles have sophisticated electrical systems. And there’s a limit to how much you can tax the system with additional electronics.

As a general rule for hybrids, we recommend not exceeding a 30-ampere current draw on your battery, or a total output of 350 watts RMS from your audio system. Luckily, that still leaves you with lots of room for a great sound system upgrade in your ride. Since you're going to pass all those gas stations, you might as well enjoy your drive more.

An explanation of current draw

If you’re new to car audio, don’t let the technical terms intimidate you. To understand current draw, it helps to think about a water tank, which represents your car’s battery. Voltage is the amount of available power, represented by the amount of water in the tank. Electrical current is like water flowing through a pipe — the speed at which it flows is the current draw.

Wattage is the amount of work the current can produce — represented by how forcefully the water comes out of the pipe. When you pull too much current from the battery to produce more wattage, there isn’t enough voltage left to power other vital electronics in your hybrid.

Replacing the factory radio usually gives you an immediate bump in audio power and cleaner sound due to improved digital-to-analog converters. And the typical new car stereo isn't going to strain your electrical system. New speakers are an easy upgrade that doesn't negatively affect electrical current draw at all.

For our new stereo, we chose a Kenwood DVD receiver with a touchscreen display (find our touchscreen receivers here) to run the show. It offers Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™, which the factory radio did not include. Drivers would now have a lot more music options and stereo functionality on their company trips.

I had listened to some demo music on the factory system before the installation. It was a painful listening session. I can't believe we waited this long to upgrade this sound system. Once the Kenwood car stereo was installed, we did another sound check with the factory speakers still intact. The difference was immediate and impactful. The soundstage, which had been suppressed and lowered by the factory system, was now much more open and natural. We couldn't wait to continue.

For speakers, we decided on the Polk DB572 5"x7" speakers for the front and rear doors. These are hugely popular with our customers, as the reviews can attest. They also work well with a variety of music, and their efficiency complements the Kenwood stereo's power. In addition to the speakers, we also decided to go with a combination of Dynamat and a set of Stinger Roadkill FAST Rings to seal the speakers in the factory openings. These items also deadened unwanted noise and rattles, so we could get the best sound possible without interruptions. Anthony had experience with both, and he was very complimentary of the FAST Rings he'd used in previous vehicles. They're easy to install and can be cut to needed shapes.

Tip 3: Add the biggest amplifier you can

People always ask us, "Can I install an amplifier in my hybrid vehicle?" The answer is, Yes, you can! Since we're all music lovers here at Crutchfield, we understand the need for impact in your music.

When selecting an amplifier to install in your hybrid vehicle, check the total fuse rating of the ones you’re interested in. If the rating doesn’t exceed 30 amperes, you’re good to go. Your best option is usually a compact amplifier, because it’ll draw little current, is cost-effective, and stays out of the way.

Yes, you can even install a subwoofer in your hybrid

If you're using stereo power for your speakers, then you can add a subwoofer to the mix and further enhance the sound. When matching an amplifier to a subwoofer, subs that are efficient (with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB or higher) and have a power handling of approximately 200 watts RMS or less work nicely in keeping current draw down. Again, make sure your amplifier's fuse rating doesn't exceed 30 amperes.

Powered subwoofers are also a great all-in-one option to add more bass without creating problems for your system. For the car, we chose the a 10" powered subwoofer. It draws only 10 amperes of current, but still delivers some solid thump. It also features a detachable plug, so the enclosure can be removed if more cargo space is needed. Super handy!

Tip 4: Dial in your sound with in-depth tone controls

Many factory systems are equalized for the original gear installed in a particular vehicle. It’s often not optimal for everyone’s ear, nor is it very adjustable. But don’t worry! We offer several digital signal processors (DSPs) to get around the factory equalization and clean up that sound, even if you’re sticking with the factory radio. While we relied on the Kenwood stereo's robust sound-shaping controls for the vehicle, these outboard DSPs can also offer up additional features to factory radios, like built-in amplifiers or preamp outputs for additional amps.

Peace.
RR.

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » February 16th, 2021, 10:38 pm

I have a full install in a Ioniq Hybrid. No issues a week in.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 17th, 2021, 11:02 am

snypaz wrote:I have a full install in a Ioniq Hybrid. No issues a week in.

what equipment does this system have so others in similar situation can get an idea of current draw ...

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » February 24th, 2021, 5:23 am

Rovin wrote:
snypaz wrote:I have a full install in a Ioniq Hybrid. No issues a week in.

what equipment does this system have so others in similar situation can get an idea of current draw ...
Stock deck.
Preamp with High Outputs.
B&C Mids in the doors.
Amp to play the Mids.
Soundfire SFX 12" in box tuned to 36Hz.
Amp to play the Sub.
XS Power D4700 to replace 12V in the stock position.
Stinger Voltmeter.
Stinger Wires.
Fuses.
Distribution Blocks.

I'd do a build thread soon. I did document it fully since there isn't any research on this online. Vehicle is a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 24th, 2021, 11:21 am

most important info u forgot to mention is model of amps so ppl cud have google it to know fuse rating & current draw ....

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » February 25th, 2021, 7:49 am

Soundfire 150.4 on Mids.
Nemesis Audio Nafr2000D on Bass.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”