TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

Postby rottedv » September 6th, 2011, 5:05 am

droppa wrote:aye good work so far boi, i like the spacer idea, i had actually taut of doin dat before bcuz i wanted to add a fan inbetween the condenser and the radiator, i still looking at doing it....

imho what causes the heat to build up in the surf is the design of the radiator, its kinda long and the fan does not directly pull air from all of it, so there are what they call "hotspots" not the curfew type eh........and also the tranny oil cooler is routed there, but this needs to be there cause i have found from my own personal experience that once u are under 65degC, the converter "lock-up" does not kick in at 85kms, but a bit later on.....

this weekend going over the lopinot trails i clocked some 100degC, so wen we decided not to run it again i was in full support. in these situations my quick cool trick is to pull out the compressor plug and allow the condenser fan to run, thus adding some more air into the mix.......mind u, up there have some very steep inclines and some loose surfaces to ur revs are high but u aren't moving much....

Yeah droppa...read that somewhere...Thats why they go with the aluminum rad....So you disconnect the compressor and run the condenser fan but won't that introduce air after the rad or is your condenser in front?

Well guys after much deliberation (and because I can't find the time to make a shroud between the old position and the rad) I installed the tranny cooler between the electric fan and the rad in the old position. Here are some pics of the install...

Thats the cooler on the left of the pic
Another pic
I hadd to cut the fan shroud for the cooler to fit..
I had to remove everything in front...That is the 'A' bar, the bumper and the grill. Below are the bolts I had to undo underneath in front and just below the front of the fender..

I haven't run the hoses yet though...I'm planning on doing that this week along with a fan clutch oil replacement as well as some general greasing in time for the run. I got some 10000 cst oil to put in. I'll run the hoses from the drivers side into the cooler and back into the drivers side on the rad....What you guys think????

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » September 6th, 2011, 5:11 am

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » September 6th, 2011, 6:05 am

not bad at all. my electrician explained something to me that kinda makes sense. i showed him my two fans installed just in front the condenser. he told me some people were complaining that they add a fan in front, but the car still heats up, and some even more with the fan. it was because they were just buying any generic speed fan. you see the amt of heat the front fan moves out, must be met by the same speed of the back fan. so if the new front fan is pushing faster than the rear fan, it simply means you are trapping even hotter air in the fins of the rad. makes sense. he showed me a cifero with the issue. when the two speed oem fan was running at low speed behind the radiator, the manually added single speed fan was pushing a constant high speed of heat onto the oem fan that was moving slowly. the result was trapped heat or a "heat spot" between the two fans.
just thought i'd share that

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 6th, 2011, 11:26 am

Thats a valid point there TL, with the additional fan alone i have, i really dont see a big difference at once, but when the ac fan is on, the temps drops alot faster, so i wud agree with what ur electrician is saying.....

we was having a discussion in work and i wanna hear what u guys think,
does the thermostat help keep the engine cooler, or does it help heat it up faster?

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » September 6th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I think it does both droppa... When you start up the thermostat is closed so the water already in the engine is not being sent to the rad for cooling just heating up in the engine allowing the engine to heat up uniformly. When you are running and it is closed the water in the rad stays in the rad allowing it to cool and when the thermostat is open allows that cool water into the engine...So flow through is controlled to maintain operating temp....We are doing the same thing in work to maintain a 1 degree C in a refrigeration system by controlling the flow rate of water using a variable frequency drive and using inputs and outputs from upstream and downstream pressures and temperatures. In the engine the temp is maintained mechanically.

When we put in the fan controller we attempt to control the flow of air and the thermostat controls the water flow...

chindian88
Sweet on this forum

Postby chindian88 » September 7th, 2011, 5:38 am

need some help again guys, the rubber coupling for the steering that connects to the "cross" or universal joint burst and i need to get one. preferably new. anyone knows where i can get it? it's for a TAW hilux.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 8th, 2011, 12:48 pm

did you check TTTL for it, u can also check by, marud, faiz or gyah in south, or by roach or A1 in de east....

better yet pm sweeks and see if he can source it for you....

chindian88
Sweet on this forum

Postby chindian88 » September 8th, 2011, 10:37 pm

i thinks it's a lil over a $1000 for it by toyota.
thanks for the info. will let yall know if i get tru.

chindian88
Sweet on this forum

Postby chindian88 » September 10th, 2011, 11:13 am

that's what is looks like, but i'm not sure if the one we have on is the correct one. it's my dad's van and he isn't in the country right now.
anyone have a picture of the correct one installed in a hilux (taw)?

rottedv
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rottedv » September 15th, 2011, 5:15 am

Weyyyyyyyy....I find in here real quiet....Anyway...I got the fan controller today....Measures water and oil temp and charge and can also be set in a range to activate the fan in front if need be.....Will install this weekend....

Went offroading on Sunday last and had a blast.....Switched on the fan when using the 4wd and it works like a charm....Went through sand, mud and water and the tranny did not burn the oil as before. Engine temp was also minimal but not sure if that was attributed to the cooler.... I am happy...

Now on to suspension works....When I look at other surfs, they seem to me to be higher than mine. How do you check the shocks in the surf? I get a lot of bouncing on the road in normal and in hard its not as pronounced....What is the standard height for a stock surf?

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 15th, 2011, 12:12 pm

here are some of the photos from our Side-B run on sunday, i only copied accross the pics of the toyotas......

bobvis parking it like a boss..

rottedv showing off his mudders in blanchi, cutting tru slushy mud with no wheelspin at all....

abustar RZN185 handling like a boss, no complications whatsoever....

rottedv again here splashing tru a Las Cuevas

me doin it crazy in las cuevas, choosing the more difficult section of the course....

cruiser showing off his flex, that FJ70 is sweet....

whos say surf cant doughnut....

these kumho MTs really do dig their way tru....

taking the surf for ah surf.....doh worry is ah toyota, it eh go rotten.....

elvis flexing the lux and eating up blanchi with his dunlop MTs......

abustars caught in a rut, but the RZ has the pawahhhhh.....

rottedv climbing, the 2L-TE has some good power, plants his MTs well.....

this old boy cruiser is set up real nice.....working flawlessly...

free underwash!!!!!hardly had any mud to wash off after.....

Surf make to Surf......

dont know wat this zuki trying to here.....

fareed7298
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fareed7298 » September 15th, 2011, 3:10 pm

anybody knows where i can buy ah 1kz or 3rz fe engine?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » September 15th, 2011, 3:22 pm

is abustar selling his surf?

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 16th, 2011, 9:06 am

@fareed there is a guy on riverside rd called javed, u cud check him, or scan the bamboo....

@alltrac not to my knowing, after folks come on a run with us, they form and even stronger love for their vehicles, we were talking on the beach and i know he maybe looking for a 1KZ to drop in....

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » September 16th, 2011, 9:51 am

wait, his surf is not 1kz'd?

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 16th, 2011, 10:36 am

nah boi, he is RZ...

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » September 16th, 2011, 10:52 am

orhor, 2.7 business, that must real powerful in 4wd, wonder how it is on gas, probably does drink cause it has to pull a tank

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 16th, 2011, 1:57 pm

yeah he says its kinda heavy, that why he was thinking of a KZ swap.....
but the van in best condition, and yeah the 4WD having real nice power

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » September 25th, 2011, 8:34 am

how allyuh boys quiet so...

well we had a blast at the trailblazers event yesterday, i won the mud hogg special stage novice with a blistering 19secs, dat 1KZ jus found her way and pull tru like dat....

now to clean down thoroughly and get working on my lift kit!!!!!!!!!!

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » September 25th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Congrats....you are really good at this!

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » September 25th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Droppa i am really busy now on my off days i work for cars-tt.com.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 25th, 2011, 5:55 pm

way didnt come in here in a while. droppa yuh surf gettin on bad boy! i spot u in UWI sometime this week when i was leaving! that 185 rel bess. There is a KZN 185 half cut by D&D think they wanted 21k or sumtin so for it, as of 2 weeks ago!

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » September 25th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Long time no see fellas. Just dropping in to see what's the latest.

AdamB
12 pounds of Boost

Postby AdamB » September 26th, 2011, 1:46 pm

is it a good idea to put a foreign used surf cab (2 door) on ah TAE 4x4 hilux chassis? would need to be re-registered for tare wt and possible change to P plate? would licence office approve this?
what would something like this sell for and how good would the ride be, seeing that it is a TAE chassis? comments welcome....

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 26th, 2011, 8:12 pm

^^the LN61 surf will fit perfect on that chassis. I believe swapping a shell alone is OK, and there is some procedure to do (some forms to fill out), but it won't be changed to P, it will still be T. Not sure if this still stands though.
Ride will be just as the hilux, you can change the front suspension to IFS if you want on those by swapping them off a LN130, and it should soften it up a bit. Not sure of the resale, but if you going to put soo much effort into something like that you may wana keep it for a while.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » September 26th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Aidan you know this thing inside out. The body in my TAY Hilux not to hot but the van works well. Still deciding what to do about the body. Not in a hurry though.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 26th, 2011, 10:19 pm

^^drop a LN61 shell on it nah :lol: :lol:

I does see some TA* hiluxes around with f. used shells on them (some of them with the SR5 version of the LN106), not sure if it called sr5, but they look real good. You look into that option orr?

AdamB
12 pounds of Boost

Postby AdamB » September 27th, 2011, 9:29 pm

hey would like some more details about the LN130 IFS and what is really required to buy...and possibly where it can be sourced...and who can do it (mechanic) in Central. also estimate of total cost to budget...thanks

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » September 27th, 2011, 9:47 pm

another crazy project is in the making between myself and Kamikaze. he's in need of a new engine in his 4x4 TBN hilux. it has seen better days with a mileage of over 400000kms on the stock engine.

heres the plan:

5L head and block
completely rebuild block using toyonisi turbo pistons etc
recalibrate the 2LT pump to work with a boosted 5L (in order to get the diesel aneriod)
adapt the complete 2LT turbo system onto the 5L
replace f/used turbo with a fresh one from maxspeeding rods in the US. hybrid CT20 turbo
re-route hot a/c water line to turbo to make it water and oil cooled
boost to run 10psi.
watercooled intercooled system to install

remember this has been done before on my hilux, except mines is a 3L and no intercooler. the power i get off my van right now can rival a 1KZTE on the highway in terms of acceleration.

and yes sweeky, i did do some more mods and tweeking recently, hence the reason i've been so quiet.

i estimate this monster can be built within a week

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » September 27th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Oh boy another TL project.

TL I have a 1kz for you to rival with :)

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”