TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Re: My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » February 25th, 2014, 3:38 am

After not being happy with my initial 'TWIN CAM 20' sticker placement a few weeks ago I decided to give it another crack when some more arrived from overseas. It took me a week to decide on the most appropriate placement, and in the end I came to the conclusion that they'd look good on the sideskirts. It's a little bit out of the ordinary, but I like it much better than when they were on the rear doors.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » February 26th, 2014, 7:13 pm

*jizz again.....

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » April 1st, 2014, 11:55 pm

My latest addition is this rather rare USDM carpeted boot lid liner. This was only available for the American market, so being the huge fan of factory options/accessories that I am I just had to have it, even if it wasn't an original JDM item. A good friend in the US kindly sent it over to me and I installed it a few minutes ago.

The bare skin of the boot lid is no longer visible, creating a more elegant and luxurious look, usually reserved for higher spec'ed cars such as the Lexus range. One unexpected bonus is that the trunk now closes easily on it's own when you drop it from the top due to the extra weight of the carpet, whereas previously it would require a helping hand to latch in properly.

It's certainly not the most exciting optional extra in my collection, but it's simple and effective, just how I like it :)

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 2nd, 2014, 12:04 am

I've been looking for one of those here for years! Love the look!

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » May 4th, 2014, 1:35 am

^ Thanks :D

I got these "Slammed Corolla" stickers in the mail from Iceland today, so I was quick to slap them on:

I also snapped this photo yesterday:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » May 21st, 2014, 2:54 am

I recently bought a Dual Action polisher and decided to test it out yesterday by giving the Corolla a good polish. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, followed by Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. Took a couple of hours from start to finish but I was very happy with the result :)

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » May 31st, 2014, 10:26 pm

come a long way bro. looks great :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » June 2nd, 2014, 12:45 am

Thanks bro :)

I'm very proud to announce that my Corolla is featured in the 'Daily Driven' section of this month's NZ Performance Car magazine :D. It's available in stores nationwide here in New Zealand and read by hundreds of thousands of people, so when I saw that it had come out a day early yesterday I immediately bought two copies. I've scanned the page and uploaded it below. The quality isn't 100% due to the scanner but still easily readable. To view it, simply click on the image below and press the zoom button (magnifying glass symbol) in the bottom right hand corner and then once more when the image pops up:

rrotsmannick
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rrotsmannick » June 4th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Very nice car dude... Our first car was this model Corolla. I still miss it up to this day.
I love the work you have done to your car, it looks great and i love to see people take care of their cars like this.

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » July 16th, 2014, 1:15 am

rrotsmannick wrote:Very nice car dude... Our first car was this model Corolla. I still miss it up to this day.
I love the work you have done to your car, it looks great and i love to see people take care of their cars like this.

Thanks man! Great to hear that you have owned one of these Corollas previously, especially as a first car. It must have had a lot of sentimental value. I'm glad you like what I've done with mine :)

I got my car certified last week and it's now 100% legal :D. You only have to get a cert done if you install coilovers or do an engine swap etc, so when I had mine done I got the engine, coilovers, brakes and a couple of other things put on the cert plate to avoid any trouble with the cops in the future.

I also scored a genuine TRD fuel cap yesterday. I've always wanted one but had other things to spend money on for the car instead, so when I managed to get my hands on this one for free I was pretty happy:

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 2nd, 2014, 3:55 am

A few small updates from me:

I installed these aftermarket Denso Japanese "J Horn Power'd" horns. Here's a video/sound clip comparing them to my original OEM dual horns:
http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/ ... yMovie.mp4

These Rays wheel nuts turned up yesterday from Japan:

Annnnd I bought a leaf blower to dry the cars after washing. Turns a half hour job into a 5-minute job and gets into all of the cracks and crevices, leaving the car bone dry. Wish I had started doing it years ago!

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » August 2nd, 2014, 4:43 am

Wow @ the certificate plate! We here have none of that......which has its pros and cons...

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 10th, 2014, 6:33 am

Morpheus wrote:Wow @ the certificate plate! We here have none of that......which has its pros and cons...

Yeah it's a pro to not have to worry about any questioning but a con to have to go to the trouble of getting it, so it's a love/hate kinda thing, lol.

I took the sedan for a bit of a drive today, before stopping off for a few obligatory photos on the way home:

Dj_Bee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Dj_Bee » August 10th, 2014, 8:10 am

Been a while, but damn, that's one sweet car.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » August 10th, 2014, 3:23 pm

*sigh

I need to learn to take photos like that yes.

Lovely rims BTW

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 17th, 2014, 1:03 am

Thanks to both of you!! :D

I didn't have a whole lot to do today so when I realized that it had been 3-years since I had taken some actual interior photos I decided to whip out my camera and post a much needed update. It was quite tricky getting even lighting inside the cabin, without the use of any studio lighting etc, but these photos didn't come out too bad :)

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 17th, 2014, 1:24 am

Now seeing this thread.

I always liked this model corolla and yours is uber sweet.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » August 17th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Speechless!

eel7
Sweet on this forum

Postby eel7 » August 17th, 2014, 3:48 pm

What a Beautiful car u got there bro!

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 27th, 2014, 1:00 am

Thanks you guys!! :D

I just finished installing these pillow ball spherical bearings into the stock shifter cables and after a road test, the difference is very noticeable. Previously the gears used to slop into place due to the factory rubber bushings, but now the gears have a much tighter feeling, clicking into place during each shift. The benefit of using spherical bearings over solid brass bushings or skateboard bearings is that the natural twist of the cable as it's going through the range of motion isn't lost, so you get the same effect as the solid bushings except without any of the additional effort required to change gears.

Earlier today I also removed the original rubber shifter base bushings from inside the car, along with the metal sleeves, and bolted the shifter housing directly to the floor. This also gave the gears more of a "snik-snik" feeling, with no more mushiness at the end of each shift or when hitting the shift gate to go into 1st or 2nd.

As a result of both modifications there is no longer a squishy, sloppy, floaty feeling when changing gears, but instead something that really makes you feel more connected to the car and improves the overall driving experience :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » August 31st, 2014, 1:54 am

After running 110mm velocity stacks (trumpets) for almost 2-years I decided it was time to try a set of 100mm stacks instead, in an effort to gain more clearance between the clutch master cylinder and gain slightly more top-end power. So after a short wait these shiny new billet velocity stacks arrived from Australia, made by SQ Engineering. Let me start by saying that the build quality of these are AMAZING. They're machined from a single piece of aluminum alloy and this set is designed especially for the 20v Blacktop. For anyone who'd like to watch a set getting made (50mm shown in the video) check out this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/0eit1bE0z0s

I now have more clearance between the #1 stack and the clutch master cylinder, the sound they emit doesn't sound so raspy like my old ones due to the much thicker alloy construction (spun vs billet) and the pull from 6,000rpm-8,500rpm is noticeable stronger than my previous 110's. You sacrifice a little bit of earlier/low-end power due to being 10mm shorter in length, but it more than makes up for it in the top-end. As an added bonus, these new stacks are incredibly shiny and resist scratches and fingerprints really well. If anybody wants a set, contact SQ Engineering on Facebook or through the website as they do a number of different sizes for both the Silvertop & Blacktop engines, and also offer an equally impressive spun/rolled type for slightly less $$$.

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 4th, 2014, 11:47 pm

My latest additions - OEM metallic black stereo and driver's vent surrounds. These were only available in Japan for the late model facelift AE101 Corolla BZ Touring wagons from 1998-2001. They're not an overlay or sticker, but the effect is actually 'painted' onto the actual plastic, likely using a hydrographic printing process (the same process Toyota used to achieve the wood-grain effect on other models). I've wanted these for quite some time but it was only a couple of weeks ago that I had the chance to get my hands on a set in good condition. They were a direct swap with my existing flat black ones and look amazing in direct sunlight due to the metallic flecks underneath the clearcoat. They don't add functionality or anything like that, but it's the small details like this in the build which sometimes make the biggest difference :)

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » October 5th, 2014, 12:27 am

Spectacular. This car is surely well loved

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 5th, 2014, 2:31 am

Sweet. Looks great!

crazeedude
Street 2NR

Postby crazeedude » October 5th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Looking good Scott nice dash upgrade

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 11th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Thank you gentlemen! :D

Insanely Rare JDM AE101 Optional Rain Sensor

In Japan they had all sorts of crazy and quirky optional extras for the AE101 Corolla, and this optional rain sensor is definitely in the top 3 in terms of it's rarity. For almost 6-years I've only ever been able to see a tiny picture in the original sales brochure of the rain sensor and have never come across one in real-life, until early last week when I stumbled across one myself! :D. The only other one I've ever heard of was back in 2005 on eBay so the rarity of these are truly off the scale. It works by sensing the intensity of rainfall and automatically controls your windscreen wipers, varying the speed without the driver having to even touch the wiper stalk. For a full and very interesting read-up on how it works check out this link: http://www.fujitsu-ten.com/business/tec ... f/2-7E.pdf

It was made in Japan by Fujitsu Ten for Toyota Motor Corporation back in the early 90's as an optional extra for a small selection of Toyotas and likely would have been a fairly expensive add-on. It simply plugs into the existing wiper connector for the combination switch and 'watches' for rainfall, while still allowing you full control over the wiper speed using the stalk if you prefer.

I very rarely drive my Corolla in the rain, so I'm still deciding whether I'll install this or sell it to someone who will get more use out of it, but either way it's a really cool thing to have found and another thing to cross off my 'optional extra bucket list' :D. The photos showing the sensor on the hood are how it's intended to be installed by Toyota, but if I was to install it on my Corolla I'd mount it on the cowling as seen in the other photos, as I feel it'd look a lot cleaner that way.

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 18th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Here's something else a little bit different, and as usual, very rare - These are optional AE101 ultrasonic sonar parking sensors, available as an optional extra for the AE101 Corolla SE-G in Japan back in the 90's. I've had these sitting in a box for over a year, complete with the computer module, matching display/clock and all of the clips/wiring. I personally don't like the look of them being fitted to the corners of the front/rear bumper as intended by Toyota, but in future I hope to discretely mount them underneath the bumpers instead. This is only the second set I've ever seen outside of the factory JDM sales brochure and I haven't had the heart to sell them due to how rare they are, but one of these days I'll put them to good use :)

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 18th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Wow. You have some rare gems!

Don't like the original look myself. But I think being ultrasonic they have to be mounted as intended. Think they need a clear path to "see"...

Unless I misinterpret how you intend to mount them.

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 25th, 2014, 11:31 pm

That's true, I guess it'll be a 'cross your fingers and hope it works' type of situation :D. The path for it to "see" will still be clear but they'll be mounted lower down than Toyota intended, so hopefully it'll work as accurately.

Here's some latest photos. The first two were taken today (about 4-hours ago) and the last one is a cellphone shot from last Sunday :)

Kiwi-Corolla
Street 2NR

Postby Kiwi-Corolla » October 27th, 2014, 1:13 am

Here's one more shot from yesterday that made the cut:

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”