TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

need a 5EFE Gearbox and price

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Gerard91
Street 2NR

need a 5EFE Gearbox and price

Postby Gerard91 » September 15th, 2012, 10:28 am

i'm doing a manual conversion in a ae101 wagon from auto to gears , so post yuh opinions

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: need a 5EFE Gearbox and price

Postby Hook » September 18th, 2012, 3:17 pm

opinions on what exactly?

Gerard91
Street 2NR

Postby Gerard91 » September 18th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Hook wrote:opinions on what exactly?

well besides d gearbox an pedals wat else i hav 2 get 2 do dis conversion

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 18th, 2012, 9:55 pm

:lol: that's not an opinion, that's a parts list

When you buy your gearbox, make sure u get the flywheel, fork and the clutch slave cylinder...unless u have an aftermarket lightened flywheel in mind already lined up for it. Some sellers mess with the forkin' fork so make sure the rubber is good too. Make sure your bell housing isn't cracked and the axle seals are good (u could still buy those new anyway, but crappy seals could tell u how much attention they paid to the gearbox sometimes). It's not something to overlook. Crappy broken, leaky seals prolly means the diff might have ran low or ran dry at some point.
You could get the slave cylinder to buy new if u want, or buy a rebuild kit for it and service it. U'll need to either get the original lines, or have lines made. Make sure the shifter linkages on the box have the spacers and clips for the cables and that the gears go in smoothly.

U'll need cables and a shifter for your specific vehicle. Sometimes cables in the scrapyards are mismatched and the gears don't line up. U'll end up getting 1st and 2nd, but hafta coax it sideways to get 3rd and 4th...or vice versa...u get what I mean. Push come to shove, u could get cables made, but try to get an OEM pair cuz it's cheaper n' easier...and make sure the clips and rubber seals where they go thru the firewall are good.

Clutch pedal and master cylinder. I've seen conversions where they shorten the sides of the brake pedal footpad, but try not to ghetto it, buy the pedal conversion - brake and clutch pedal.

ECU. Are you ratching it, or are you getting a manual harness and ECU? If no to the ECU, some electricians know how to hotwire the neutral start switch and tweak the harness so the A/T ECU "thinks" u're still automatic.

Gerard91
Street 2NR

Postby Gerard91 » September 19th, 2012, 7:08 am

wow gud parts list ,ah feel ah might ratch d ECU so as yuh master slave cylinder dat means dis gearbox is hydraulic? an is it true d 4efte parts cud work on ah 5efe engine, parts such as pistons, connector rods ,injectors ,turbo manifold an wat should i do wit d ECU if i decide to turbo d engine ?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 19th, 2012, 9:45 am

Yup, hydraulic clutch.

There are guys here more versed in the topic of interchangeability of 4E and 5E internals than I am, but I can tell you the bores of both engines are the same, however the 5E has a longer stroke and higher compression pistons and there's a 5E-FHE variant with even higher compression pistons.
I've seen tuned 5E blocks with 4E-FTE goodies bolted on that ran REAL nice and there are guys here with built blocks handling boost numbers in the 20's. They could offer better advice on that topic. Look out for guys like Reddo, KTS, A172, Haydn28, shinakuma etc. who know 4E and 5E parts inside out.

I'd suggest, though, that if you're going to do a manual conversion AND THEN go trying to boost an older block, that instead of doing it in stages, there's less guessing and downtime if you save your pesos for a complete Starlet conversion and do it all in one shot.
That way, u get boosted engine, gearbox, manual ECU and harness all in one go, and u get to sell back your old stuff complete (if u want) and recover some of the cost, and THEN consider working up a 5E block later on down the road if it still scratching yuh.

As with all power-adders, modify your vehicle with sense. As fast as you want to go, make sure you can stop just as efficiently, so look into brake and maybe a suspension upgrade before you get to digging around the engine bay.

Gerard91
Street 2NR

Postby Gerard91 » September 20th, 2012, 7:09 am

dats sum real gud addvice bro ah feel ah will buy d gearbox ,turbo from d starlet ,injectors and ECU an run it on low boost 4 d while on till ah get sum after market pistons also ah will look 4 a AE101 GT back dis brakes an levin suspension .

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 20th, 2012, 8:16 am

U just praised the advice and then decided not to take it?

I said don't frank it, save up and get the full conversion and then mod it later.

But say wha, is not my car.

Gerard91
Street 2NR

Postby Gerard91 » September 20th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Hook wrote:U just praised the advice and then decided not to take it?

I said don't frank it, save up and get the full conversion and then mod it later.

But say wha, is not my car.

lolzz well i will pass on d advice 2 d owner hoping dat he wldn't make dat mistake

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”