TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Transmission Filter Change in Nze 121 Corolla

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Crackpot
I LUV THIS PLACE

Transmission Filter Change in Nze 121 Corolla

Postby Crackpot » March 30th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Good Toyota folks, has anyone ever had transmission problems in their nze 121 corolla and it went away with a change of the transmission filter?

By problems I mean at cold startup the tranny can engage reverse but not Drive, D1 0r D2.

Even after a normal drive to work commute, once the car cools down the tranny sticks to engage drive.

The plan given to me by the person doing it is to apparently "service" the tranny on the inside by cleaning out the inside bell housing or whatever and then changing the fluid and the filter.

Any pro's think this is a good idea before I part with my hard earned money? Peace

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Transmission Filter Change in Nze 121 Corolla

Postby cinco » March 30th, 2015, 8:18 pm

"Cleaning" out a tranny usually does more harm than good. The junk in there is what is keeping the car running. I would suggest a fluid change and see how that works. If not be prepared for a full rebuild

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 30th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Sometimes this helps and sometimes things actually get worse.
Generally this normally indicates wear in the tranny coupled with build up of gunk entrained in fluid medium.
I have done the clean out and recharge specifically to give client some time to put their financial house in order but there aint no assurance that there would be some magical reinstatement of tranny condition.
The cost of this clean out could run $1600 approx. (strainer,fluid,gasket and service charge).

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » March 30th, 2015, 8:26 pm

What he said

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » March 30th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Better to get it fixed. Had mine changed this month because of that. It usually worked a bit better after an oil change. I kept changing fluid after every 3000km but that became tedious and expensive. Ur tranny is going bad sorry to say.

Crackpot
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Crackpot » March 31st, 2015, 11:53 am

cinco wrote:"Cleaning" out a tranny usually does more harm than good. The junk in there is what is keeping the car running. I would suggest a fluid change and see how that works. If not be prepared for a full rebuild

I have done a fluid change last year and I did a tranny flush the year before (2013)

Thus this is my last option to get some life outta this thing before I hadda part with over 8000k to rebuild it :|

I feel at that price I could put a lil more go in the bank and tell them I want a new car :shock:

The cost of rebuilding and replacing in this country is absolutely ridiculous.

Is better to junk yuh car when it come to this yes, but I still need to know if there is hope that this issue might rectify for a couple months longer?. Questioned aimed at Toyolink for experienced answer plz

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 31st, 2015, 1:40 pm

I really don't feel comfortable giving assurances on this one.
What we would attempt to do in your case is ,after removing the strainer we would remove solenoid(s) which may be accessable and clean these as part of the flush/clean-out exercise and basically hope for the best.
There was a 2007 Rav4 which essentially shut down on the highway and refused to move, and after doing our thing the vehicle has been running as designed and the customer seems to have dodged a bullet.

Crackpot
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Crackpot » March 31st, 2015, 3:08 pm

^^Well better I come by you, the guy I intend to go by is planning to spray out the tranny and give it a thorough clean out, but he didn't mention the solenoids.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 31st, 2015, 4:04 pm

All we can promise to do is our best and some positiveness from your end as part of the collective effort can only help.
BTW ,your estimate on a full rebuild is approx. right and in the cases where we had executed this service the customers had taken a position that they wanted at least 5 yrs. proper service from their tranny and just couldn't trust what was being offered as used units (at not insignificant prices).
Please examine your options carefully since $1600 is a significant percentage of $8000.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » March 31st, 2015, 5:21 pm

Honestly a flush and a transmission filter makes most sense, but its a risk. It might work and it may not.

i did a few flush with a filter change and its basically like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVhXQti8Qv4

soundbwoy
Riding on 13's

Postby soundbwoy » January 27th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Sorry to reawaken such an old post, i have heard stories from mechanics about transmission problems in the nze as stated by the composer of this post. I myself have had the same problem. One expert has told me that it may be the filter and another the seals in the transmission. But the best i've heard and have tried and worked, costs nothing. A cap of brake fluid is all you need. Just pour it in, drive it for about a week and change your oil after. Worked for me.

c_r_s
Ricer

Postby c_r_s » May 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm

have heard about this cork full of brake fluid for a quick fix...has anybody else tried this and can send some feedback...i am currently in this situation and dont really have the cash for a full rebuild or fu at the moment...

hondablood
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hondablood » May 13th, 2018, 2:56 pm

i did it,transmission lasted about 6 months but it developed a leak .To top up oil often was too expensive so i changed it.Mechanic took it apart after and it appeared the brakes fluid not only "fixed" the faulty rubber seals by causing them to expand but also other seals were compromised eventually causing a leak.Temporary fix to buy time if you brokes.

c_r_s
Ricer

Postby c_r_s » May 13th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Did you leave in the brake fluid or did you change it out after the week like the previous guy...

StreetKings
Street 2NR

Postby StreetKings » May 13th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Should the fluid be changed out? I put some brake fluid in my tranny about a week ago cause no gears was going in when it was cold. Working like new now. But should the transmission fluid be changed since there is brake fluid it in now? Would it work the same after putting fresh fluid? Or should i leave it as it till it goes through and then replace the transmission?

hondablood
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hondablood » May 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm

no,i left it in

c_r_s
Ricer

Postby c_r_s » May 14th, 2018, 11:28 am

anybody else have any experience with this ?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”