TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Question: Instrument Cluster Swap (+ Tach)

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SupraChild
Street 2NR

Question: Instrument Cluster Swap (+ Tach)

Postby SupraChild » August 22nd, 2016, 10:06 am

Good marnin Tuners,

I require a likkle assistance please. It astonishes me how Toyota can make a car without a tach... :? Does anyone know how to or someone who can swap a 2009 local corolla instrument panel from the boring one with no tach like so...

to this...from the older/foreign used corollas...like so...

or even possibly this slightly less ugly Axio one (at least it has a tach)...like so...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. My last resort is to install a mini tach on the pillar...which I kinda dont want to have to do...

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Re: Question: Instrument Cluster Swap (+ Tach)

Postby racedriverpro » August 22nd, 2016, 11:52 am

it is possible for an electrician who has the time and patience to do the job. Ryan from the bamboo comes to mind....NB an auto electrician's time and patience ain't cheap.

SupraChild
Street 2NR

Postby SupraChild » August 22nd, 2016, 1:00 pm

Noted, and thanks. I was also wondering if anyone has any experience doing this swap and if the connectors will be the same for the axio/corolla cluster (without tach) to the axio/corolla cluster (with tach)...?

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Question: Instrument Cluster Swap (+ Tach)

Postby racedriverpro » August 22nd, 2016, 1:26 pm

SupraChild wrote:Noted, and thanks. I was also wondering if anyone has any experience doing this swap and if the connectors will be the same for the axio/corolla cluster (without tach) to the axio/corolla cluster (with tach)...?

SDM to JDM ain't straight forward....connectors differ most times.

car key in yuh car ka hole ltd
Ricer

Postby car key in yuh car ka hole ltd » November 26th, 2016, 6:22 pm

its the same wiring bro just unplug and plug in I CHANGED mine no problems

hondablood
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hondablood » November 26th, 2016, 10:03 pm

if you gt let me know,i have the rpm less cluster also

Ras2604
Riding on 13's

Postby Ras2604 » December 1st, 2016, 2:55 pm

Good day

Regarding the cluster swap, i did mine but now the abs and brake lights are on and the speedometer is not working!!! My car does not have abs by the way so i know that's part of the problem but would that cause the speedometer to not work?

SupraChild
Street 2NR

Postby SupraChild » January 30th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I did the swap too but with a foreign used one and now I have the same problem you have, with the ABS light coming on and this disables the speedo (my car does not have ABS also). So in some instrument panels, once the ABS warning light comes on, the speedo won't work, and the brake/warning light will also activate.

I know the cluster is working cause I put it in another GLi model with ABS and it works fine!

Were you able to find a solution/workaround to disable the ABS warning light?

SupraChild
Street 2NR

Postby SupraChild » July 28th, 2017, 2:43 pm

For anyone else wanting to know, the Axio, Fielder, and Corolla clusters are all compatible with each other, once the vehicle has the same features (especially ABS). However, our local T&T Corollas come with Instrument Clusters that work with or without ABS.

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » August 7th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Did this swap myself on an AE110 Corolla.
Got the cluster from the AE111 which had the tach.

Toyota did that same nonsense. Replaced the tach with a HUGE fuel and temperature gauge on the AE110 XE.

Anyways it's not as simple as just plugging it in and boom you on.

All the connectors are the same but when I plugged it in, the O/D button was controlling the temperature gauge, head-lamp was staying on and some of the check lights weren't working. Basically Toyota re-mapped the wires.

So what I did was sat down with a book, a multimeter and the old cluster and I traced through the circuit on the old cluster from the PCB behind it and took a note of which wires connect to what(for everything). Then I used to to re-wire the new cluster. Everything worked as normal. Just had to pull a wire from the -ve of the dizzy coil for the tacho.

Toyota normally tends to use the same colour code for their wires. So even though some wires were moved around onto different connectors due to the lights being in different positions on the cluster, they were the same colour. Note this is the same for the same generation of vehicle, regardless of edition(eg XE,SE,GLI etc)

If you're not comfortable working around electronics etc you may want to get an electrician to do it for you.
Just make sure when you get the new cluster that you get it with the harness behind it as well. MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT.

Anyways don't know why Toyota left out the tacho from certain editions. It's kinda retarded...having a tachometer isn't a luxury feature and it should be included regardless imo.

make meh care
Trinituner Peong

Postby make meh care » August 16th, 2017, 2:51 pm

you can get the tacho signal from the obd2 port on the drivers side

Shivan Bachoo
Riding on 13's

Postby Shivan Bachoo » October 7th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:Did this swap myself on an AE110 Corolla.
Got the cluster from the AE111 which had the tach.

Toyota did that same nonsense. Replaced the tach with a HUGE fuel and temperature gauge on the AE110 XE.

Anyways it's not as simple as just plugging it in and boom you on.

All the connectors are the same but when I plugged it in, the O/D button was controlling the temperature gauge, head-lamp was staying on and some of the check lights weren't working. Basically Toyota re-mapped the wires.

So what I did was sat down with a book, a multimeter and the old cluster and I traced through the circuit on the old cluster from the PCB behind it and took a note of which wires connect to what(for everything). Then I used to to re-wire the new cluster. Everything worked as normal. Just had to pull a wire from the -ve of the dizzy coil for the tacho.

Toyota normally tends to use the same colour code for their wires. So even though some wires were moved around onto different connectors due to the lights being in different positions on the cluster, they were the same colour. Note this is the same for the same generation of vehicle, regardless of edition(eg XE,SE,GLI etc)

If you're not comfortable working around electronics etc you may want to get an electrician to do it for you.
Just make sure when you get the new cluster that you get it with the harness behind it as well. MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT.

Anyways don't know why Toyota left out the tacho from certain editions. It's kinda retarded...having a tachometer isn't a luxury feature and it should be included regardless imo.

i want to do the same thing, can you give me some tips?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”