TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota 2012 Corolla Aircon Problems

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

portanav
Riding on 13's

Toyota 2012 Corolla Aircon Problems

Postby portanav » November 6th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Hi, I am having a problem with my 2012 Toyota Corolla from Toyota T&T.

When I switch on the Aircon, it sometimes cools very cold or not at all. It may go a whole morning and not cool at all then suddenly it will get very cold.

I took it to my mechanic when it was not working, since when it is working all test on it show normal. This time he checked it and told me it was the clutch inside the compressor that was giving the problem, and that it had an internal clutch so it meant replacing the compressor. He recommends purchasing a Chinese compressor as it is cheaper and the quality was pretty good.

I read on one of the post on the forum, where it was mentioned that these Corolla problems are related to some solenoid, can some one help me with this problem I am having and maybe explain this solenoid issue to me.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Toyota 2012 Corolla Aircon Problems

Postby ramishrrr » November 7th, 2016, 4:45 am

Your AC Problem.

The operation of previous compressors were like this:
The belt turned the pulley on the compressor which spun idly by.
When the system wanted the compressor to do its work, an electrical current was sent to an electromagnet (coil) behind the pulley. There is a plate in front of the pulley which is connected to the internal shaft of the compressor. The electromagnet would cause the plate to clasp the pulley. The plate would turn, and of course the compressor shaft would turn.
Your compressor is now doing its job. You AC begins to cool.
When it is cold enough according to your setting, the thermostat in the blower box inside will send a signal to cut the current going to the electromagnet.
The electromagnet will de-energise, and the plate would be released. The shaft will stop turning and the pulley would spin idly again.
The cycle would be repeated as it gets warmer in the blower box, and your set cooling temperature has to be achieved.

In the new Toyota compressor there is no electromagnetic clutch. The pulley is connected directly to the shaft, and the shaft is turning all the time.
There is a port connecting the compressor's suction to the discharge. There is a solenoid controlled valve that keeps the port open or closed.
When the port is open, (the solenoid valve is open) the suction is linked to the discharge, so the compressor spins idly by doing no work.
When the port is closed (the solenoid valve is shut) the suction is isolated from the discharge, and the compressor loads up and starts doing its work. Your AC starts to cool.

Now, if that valve does not close for one reason or another, your AC will not cool. If there is an electrical fault in the solenoid or the wiring going to it...............no go !!
If the valve itself is damaged, worn or leaking.............no go !!

Because of modern day car design, that valve, and where it is located may not be repairable, so the logical thing to do is to renew the entire compressor. Then Toyota Trinidad Limited will soak you a few thousands.

Personally, I think the older design was better, but it is cheaper to manufacture the newer compressor, saving Toyota money, and boosting spare parts sale.

Maybe you should buy the Chinese compressor. I know for sure that 90% of the domestic ACs are made in China. Too, I have a BMW bike. The starter ground itself to death and a new one was US$400. I bought a Chinese starter on Amazon.com for US$60. It is working perfectly, tumbling the engine faster than the original.

Peace. RR.

portanav
Riding on 13's

Postby portanav » November 7th, 2016, 7:26 am

Thanks very much for the explanation. I'll have to check in to a Chinese compressor.

fras
Chronic 2NR

Postby fras » December 20th, 2016, 11:01 pm

does the 141 axio/fielder have this setup as well?
I know 2 persons, with both vehicles having similar problems with their ac

Vinesh
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Vinesh » January 5th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Please contact me for a much easier solution 754-7385. Its sounds like a control valve issue and you do not need to change the entire compressor to fix this problem. I had a similar issue.

fras
Chronic 2NR

Postby fras » January 6th, 2017, 6:58 am

do u have the part # for the solenoid?

fras
Chronic 2NR

Postby fras » January 6th, 2017, 6:59 am

portanav
Riding on 13's

Postby portanav » February 10th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Vinesh wrote:Please contact me for a much easier solution 754-7385. Its sounds like a control valve issue and you do not need to change the entire compressor to fix this problem. I had a similar issue.

Hello Vinesh;

Sorry about the delay in replying. I tried calling the cell number but no answer. Do you have someone to repair or you yourself?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”