TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

AE101 Corolla Transmission Bang

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

AE101 Corolla Transmission Bang

Postby Work_to_own » May 27th, 2017, 2:55 am

Got a 101 Corolla... It was parked up for a while then in the paint shop. I changed all the mounts but the gear is slamming in with a load bang when going from park to drive.. or park to reverse.. one of them.. I can't remember. It entire engine was rocking and the mounts busted. .. I din't bother to change the mounts again...

Most people told me the transmission gone through , that something slipping and it's best to buy a new one... But someone told me it could be something with the axle.

It has gotten worse over time... Now, when the car does into drive, i have to wait a bit for the gear to actually go in. There are no problems with the gear shifting during driving. They shift really smoothly.

I'm just looking for confirmation on if i have to get the transmission replaced or if i should get it repaired and the cost of repairing it. Someone told me a transmission for 101 corolla is 5000! :shock: :shock:

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

Re: AE101 Corolla Transmission Bang

Postby Work_to_own » May 27th, 2017, 7:39 pm

bummp

Sanjstar
Street 2NR

Postby Sanjstar » May 27th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Did you try a transmission lube? Check in El Socorro opposite holiday foods.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 28th, 2017, 1:34 am

Let me understand what you are saying.
Have all the engine mounts been replaced.
How long are you actually waiting on the gear to go in.
When last has the trans fluid been changed and did you clean out the fluid pickup strainer

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Work_to_own » May 29th, 2017, 8:09 pm

kamakazi wrote:Let me understand what you are saying.
Have all the engine mounts been replaced.
How long are you actually waiting on the gear to go in.
When last has the trans fluid been changed and did you clean out the fluid pickup strainer

-Yes . They burst after a while with the constant rocking.
-Couple seconds
-When the mounts were changed.... This would be last year around nov/dec..... Not sure about the fluid pickup strainer.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 30th, 2017, 1:51 am

When I say changed I am not talking about draining and refilling the 3 quarts or so from the transmission sump. If that was done do it at least two more times. The Auto trans in this vehicle asks for dexron 2 but this wasn't readily available and I instead used dexron 3; Toyota branded fluid and the like weren't even an item at the time.

Besides that... The pickup strainer can be seen when you remove the transmission sump. I believe it is held on by 3-5 ten millimeter bolts. There are also a couple magnets in the sump. Most of the wear material that isn't magnetic ends up in the strainer.

I am unsure if any of this will actually remedy your situation but for reference... I have​ an ae101 which didn't have its transmission fluid changed in over ten yrs (145000kms). From that point I had all the fluid pumped out and replaced and have been servicing it regularly since that point. Now at 276000kms...reverse gear takes about 10secs to engage and drive takes about 3-5seconds. It is worn no doubt but I have never experienced any hard shifting.

The first complete fluid change used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF... But since then I have utilised a mix of Castrol dex/merc and Valvoline Max life atf

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Work_to_own » June 1st, 2017, 11:12 pm

kamakazi wrote:When I say changed I am not talking about draining and refilling the 3 quarts or so from the transmission sump. If that was done do it at least two more times. The Auto trans in this vehicle asks for dexron 2 but this wasn't readily available and I instead used dexron 3; Toyota branded fluid and the like weren't even an item at the time.

Besides that... The pickup strainer can be seen when you remove the transmission sump. I believe it is held on by 3-5 ten millimeter bolts. There are also a couple magnets in the sump. Most of the wear material that isn't magnetic ends up in the strainer.

I am unsure if any of this will actually remedy your situation but for reference... I have​ an ae101 which didn't have its transmission fluid changed in over ten yrs (145000kms). From that point I had all the fluid pumped out and replaced and have been servicing it regularly since that point. Now at 276000kms...reverse gear takes about 10secs to engage and drive takes about 3-5seconds. It is worn no doubt but I have never experienced any hard shifting.

The first complete fluid change used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF... But since then I have utilised a mix of Castrol dex/merc and Valvoline Max life atf

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm honestly not sure of the original mileage of the car nor do I know if the transmission was changed. when I bought the car last year the speedometer was stuck on 120k which I doubt is anywhere close to the original mileage. (it's a PAZ)

But.. I guess the transmission was changed at some point because the original engine was carbureted.

But I think the best bet in this situation is to change the transmission.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 1st, 2017, 11:27 pm

All best man... Hope you get through

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Work_to_own » June 5th, 2017, 3:11 pm

kamakazi wrote:All best man... Hope you get through

Thanks,

Drove the car today and it got worse. When the car is in park, the RPM just shoots up and revs at about 3000rpm. Even in neutral the rpm is just revving . In drive it's about 2000RPM revving.

Definitely going to change it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 5th, 2017, 5:17 pm

That is very high... Suppose to be like 1000 when in neutral or park... Was the Idle speed that high when you first posted about the transmission problem.

Work_to_own
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Work_to_own » June 13th, 2017, 8:04 pm

kamakazi wrote:That is very high... Suppose to be like 1000 when in neutral or park... Was the Idle speed that high when you first posted about the transmission problem.

Nope. But someone collided with it while it was parked. And the car is driving but now it does that.
Used to idle great before.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”