TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Installing fog lights using factory harness

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Installing fog lights using factory harness

Postby nismo1325 » August 29th, 2018, 12:38 am

has anyone tried installing fog light using the built inn harness there is available in there axio

from what i was told, if the car has a factory harness its just to insert the relay behind the AC controls for the fog lights and thats it

Anyone has ever done this?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Installing fog lights using factory harness

Postby adnj » August 29th, 2018, 4:36 am

nismo1325 wrote:has anyone tried installing fog light using the built inn harness there is available in there axio

from what i was told, if the car has a factory harness its just to insert the relay behind the AC controls for the fog lights and thats it

Anyone has ever done this?
I have no idea about the Axio but in general, if fogs are a stand alone option, you can be almost certain that the harness has the necessary wiring. Usually the control relay and the switch is omitted with a plug inserted into the instrument panel to cover the switch cutout.

Options like fog lamps, sun roofs, premium audio, leather seats, etc., are usually packaged as options so that wiring complexity is reduced.

You can certainly trace the circuit with a meter to see what wiring is there. The hardest part is wiring from the instrument planet to the front bumper. The rest is no more difficult than installing a new head unit.

Is this why you're hunting for that relay?

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nismo1325 » August 29th, 2018, 7:49 am

Yea I actually found the relay and found where it has to plugged it....did that last night and now I wna get the factory switch.....I red somewhere that if u simply plug inn the relay the fog light will switch on when u switch on the lights but I figured that I will need a switch to control it

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nismo1325 » August 29th, 2018, 7:50 am

The factory harness is in place so I already mounted the lights and so on so it’s just to utilize the factory stuff....if that doesn’t work out I’d just go with the aftermarket harness and done

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 29th, 2018, 7:53 am

nismo1325 wrote:Yea I actually found the relay and found where it has to plugged it....did that last night and now I wna get the factory switch.....I red somewhere that if u simply plug inn the relay the fog light will switch on when u switch on the lights but I figured that I will need a switch to control it
Yea

I had a a similar issue with my rav4
The van was pre-wired for the fog lamps, so i just mounted the hardware and took it to the electrician.
He only had to install the switch and wire it to the fuse box.
Everything was right there.
Took about 15 mins total.

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nismo1325 » August 29th, 2018, 8:21 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
nismo1325 wrote:Yea I actually found the relay and found where it has to plugged it....did that last night and now I wna get the factory switch.....I red somewhere that if u simply plug inn the relay the fog light will switch on when u switch on the lights but I figured that I will need a switch to control it
Yea

I had a a similar issue with my rav4
The van was pre-wired for the fog lamps, so i just mounted the hardware and took it to the electrician.
He only had to install the switch and wire it to the fuse box.
Everything was right there.
Took about 15 mins total.

do you have a contact for the electrician you went by? i am in need of an electrician to help me out with this also

i already mount all the hardware and i placed the relay inn also so i believe its just to install the switch and that should be it

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 29th, 2018, 8:22 am

My electrician is in sangre grande.
Pm me if you want the contact

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 29th, 2018, 9:39 am

Try to find the pigtail (short length of wire) that the foglamp would plug into. It will be behind the IP near the fog lamp switch cutout.

The pig tail may be taped back to to the harness. One wire's color and size should be the same as the control wire on the relay.

Look at your fuse panel. Add a fuse for the fog lamps. The fuse size and location should be labeled on the cover of the panel or in the owner's manual.

Installing the switch is self-explanatory.

You should have a lamp to indicate that the fog lamps are on. I would guess that it's on the switch. Otherwise you will have an indicator on the instrument panel. That typically won't be easy to install.
Last edited by adnj on August 29th, 2018, 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nismo1325 » August 29th, 2018, 10:13 am

adnj wrote:Try to find the pigtail (short length of wire) that the foglamp would plug into. It will be behind the IP near the fog lamp switch cutout.

The pig tail may be taped back to to the harness. One wire's color and size should be the same as the control wire on the relay.

Look at your fuse panel. Add a fuse for the fog lamps. The fuse size and location should be lanelled on the cover of the panel or the owner's manual.

Installing the switch is self explanatory.

You should have a lamp to indicate that fog lamps the fog lamps are on. I would guess that it's on the switch. Otherwise you will have an indicator on the instrument panel. That won't be easy to install.

i installed the relay and i did try it but nothing came on but honestly i forget to check the fuse panel to see if i have to insert any fuses. that slip my mind clean and from what i am now seeing there is a 15a fuse that needs to be inserted in the fuse box inside so i will have to get that fuse and try that later and see whats up

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 31st, 2018, 3:29 pm

nismo1325 wrote:
i installed the relay and i did try it but nothing came on but honestly i forget to check the fuse panel to see if i have to insert any fuses. that slip my mind clean and from what i am now seeing there is a 15a fuse that needs to be inserted in the fuse box inside so i will have to get that fuse and try that later and see whats up

15 amp sounds about right for fog lamps. You may want to buy a multimeter from Radio Shack to help get this kind of work done. A $200 meter is all you need.

That relay part number you gave is for a resistor-protected 30 amp relay. The resistor is there to prevent a current spike from the relay coil when the relay is opened. I would guess that you might see some flickering inside the cabin from indicator lights if you decicide to use an unprotected relay.

nismo1325
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nismo1325 » September 3rd, 2018, 2:15 pm

adnj wrote:
nismo1325 wrote:

15 amp sounds about right for fog lamps. You may want to buy a multimeter from Radio Shack to help get this kind of work done. A $200 meter is all you need.

That relay part number you gave is for a resistor-protected 30 amp relay. The resistor is there to prevent a current spike from the relay coil when the relay is opened. I would guess that you might see some flickering inside the cabin from indicator lights if you decicide to use an unprotected relay.

i think now id go check an electrician about this now..i saw some stuff and i got confused and honestly i dont wna do anything to cause damage to the car

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”