TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Help me choose my next set of tyres

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Help me choose my next set of tyres

Postby De Dragon » October 19th, 2010, 1:36 am

ecktt wrote:I have a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101 245/40R17....No suitable for dex at all. Not even good for sprited driving.

Why do you say so?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 19th, 2010, 1:38 am

Mitsubishi Maniac wrote:As would anyone recommend Yokohama Advans,but as we all know,kindda impossible to get these locally.There is a place in Cipero Street in San Fernado,can't rem the name exactly, that I got somewhat of a replacement.I'm presently using Nexen's ON MY E8 with no problems.......not exactly what I wanted but its worth a try.

:? :? :?
I have heard nothing good about Nexens on any type of turbocharged vehicle.

Mitsubishi Maniac
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Mitsubishi Maniac » October 19th, 2010, 5:09 am

^^^^ I hear you bossman,but that was all i was getting at the point in time.Car does not run too much so not feeling the brunt of it too much.But yeah,not the first person who told me about those Nexens.Hopefully I can get some Yoko's if i'm lucky next time.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 19th, 2010, 7:51 am

De Dragon wrote:
ecktt wrote:I have a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101 245/40R17....No suitable for dex at all. Not even good for sprited driving.

Why do you say so?

I say so because they wear unevenly, tramline, and cause the car to severely understeer with their lack of grip.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 23rd, 2010, 1:19 pm

crazybalhead wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Why do you say so?

I say so because they wear unevenly, tramline, and cause the car to severely understeer with their lack of grip.

I guess allyuh spirited different to my spirited! Or maybe they're new so I am not experiencing what you are speaking about.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 24th, 2010, 1:52 pm

They get worse when they get older.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 24th, 2010, 7:43 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Mitsubishi Maniac wrote:As would anyone recommend Yokohama Advans,but as we all know,kindda impossible to get these locally.There is a place in Cipero Street in San Fernado,can't rem the name exactly, that I got somewhat of a replacement.I'm presently using Nexen's ON MY E8 with no problems.......not exactly what I wanted but its worth a try.

So they could be well suited to a 370Z just fine then?

SurGTR
Street 2NR

Postby SurGTR » October 25th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I had those Dunlops Direzza previously, no grip wet or dry, was spinning tyres like crazy, in my Civic Hatch Non VTEC Automatic, 205/40/17, My last 2 set of Tyres were Dunlops (the DZ101s and I believe the set before that were the SP9000s) , say what you want but im on NEXENS N3000 of same specs now and I get much better traction

Oh and the Dunlops Cuts really bad on the inside area of the rim.......juss eyeballing the tyre can look real good condition, take the wheel off , dont be surprised if you see the tyre down to wire on the inside..

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 25th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Alpha_2nr wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

So they could be well suited to a 370Z just fine then?

Now how de fack I go know that? :?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 26th, 2010, 6:12 am

^^Missing the point I see :roll: (hint: comment about turbocharged vehicles)

Let Unkle CBH help yuh out.

:lol: :lol:

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 26th, 2010, 7:42 am

SurGTR wrote:I had those Dunlops Direzza previously, no grip wet or dry, was spinning tyres like crazy, in my Civic Hatch Non VTEC Automatic, 205/40/17, My last 2 set of Tyres were Dunlops (the DZ101s and I believe the set before that were the SP9000s) , say what you want but im on NEXENS N3000 of same specs now and I get much better traction

Oh and the Dunlops Cuts really bad on the inside area of the rim.......juss eyeballing the tyre can look real good condition, take the wheel off , dont be surprised if you see the tyre down to wire on the inside..

That's because you were dropped low and needed to adjust camber and toe properly, not the tyres fault really.

And we not only talking about launch traction here, I'm talking about sidewall stability, and a solid enough shoulder to corner properly.

What's the specs on the Nexens?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 26th, 2010, 8:15 am

^^D00d...even those specs are suspect, and not often good enough to compare with.

IIRC, the N3000's have a AA traction rating, and I think it's a 340 tread compound...with the SportMaxx A on the Swift Sports having only a single A traction rating (240 tread compound). Yet, the SportMaxx A (and regular SportMaxx) are superior tyres IMHO in every way. It comes down to test method IMHO.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 26th, 2010, 8:34 am

BTW guys, that traction rating is done by braking on wet pavement. It really has nothing to do with handling and grip. People feel that when you hear traction AA, that that is a bess tyre for racing, spirited driving, but this is just not the case. Even tyre shops love to quote this rating, but they themselves don't understand it.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/index.php ... -explained

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 26th, 2010, 9:29 am

^^Correct is right! Same applies to treadwear ratings as well.

Think about this, the OE tyres on the NZE Corolla were a 220 tread Bridgestone. Do you HONESTLY think that would compare to say, a Potenza S-03 Pole Position in terms of traction (also 220 tread)? It didn't :lol:

The Tiida's OE tyre was a Toyo NP01...a 220 tread as well IIRC. Again, could that compare in COMPOUND grip and handling to a Toyo T1R (280 tread)? Nope....but ent the NP01 has a softer tread?????

So while the TW rating may refer to tread "wear" in terms of lifespan, I'm guessing it doesn't accurately address the compound itself.....and that has alot to do with the tyre's grip......notwithstanding sidewall stiffness/differences!!!

Here's where tyre class (EPS, UHPS, HPS, Touring etc) come into play IMHO.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » October 26th, 2010, 9:38 am

Also, to add to that, the tyre ratings are usually specific to a manufacturer. So the wear rating is not necessarily a rating of stickiness, but a relationship to the other tyres made by that manufacturer.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 26th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Alpha_2nr wrote:^^Missing the point I see :roll: (hint: comment about turbocharged vehicles)

Let Unkle CBH help yuh out.

:lol: :lol:

Irony at its very best! I got your point soldier, I also fail to see where I said it was good for a high HP N/A car :roll:

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 26th, 2010, 10:59 pm

^^My point exactly.

:lol:

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » October 27th, 2010, 2:05 pm

^^I also thought the traction had to do also with the molecular compound of the rubber used in conjunction with tire tread design & wet breaking force like what the michelin asymmetrical design employs ?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 28th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Alpha_2nr wrote:^^My point exactly.

:lol:

I haven't read (nor cared to) about Nexens and N/A cars. I have read about them in relation to turbocharged cars.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”